ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NFL 23-24 Season thread 2

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,313

Re: OT: NFL 23-24 Season thread 2 

Post#1881 » by DOT » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

mpharris36 wrote:Great WR's without having the QB situation figured out usually isn't conducive to winning.

But on the flip side, this means you get another crack at a top QB next year, plus if Daboll has another bad season he's probably gone meaning you get a new HC and a rookie QB, so the HC isn't on the hot seat and can take his time developing the rookie QB rather than him being put in a situation where the HC is coaching for his life

And he comes in with a stud WR already, plus another year of figuring out the O line.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,692

Post#1882 » by mpharris36 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

DOT wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:Great WR's without having the QB situation figured out usually isn't conducive to winning.

But on the flip side, this means you get another crack at a top QB next year, plus if Daboll has another bad season he's probably gone meaning you get a new HC and a rookie QB, so the HC isn't on the hot seat and can take his time developing the rookie QB rather than him being put in a situation where the HC is coaching for his life

And he comes in with a stud WR already, plus another year of figuring out the O line.

thats assuming the class next year is any good...or you end of "forcing" a QB pick.

It all comes down to liking the QB..if they evaluate one of these guys as a guy that can be really good. You pick the QB now because you don't know whats going to happen next year.

If you have any reservations...you do what you suggested above.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,089

Post#1883 » by TerrenceClarke » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

focusing on next year is pointless. You only can control what you can do today. Today we have the 6th pick. The giants were not expected to make the playoffs Dabolls first year and they did. Expecting us to be top 10 is wishful thinking espically with amount of money we spent this year.

People need to stop talking about next year. Cause if we have a mediocre year we would be out of the running of a QB. If you can get a QB this year..... you do it.

I said this before and I will say it again. The Majority of the top wide out in the NFL are not even top 10 picks. The value for stud receiver in the later first round and beyond is pretty high in the NFL over the last 5 years.
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,313

Post#1884 » by DOT » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
DOT wrote:

thats assuming the class next year is any good...or you end of "forcing" a QB pick.

It all comes down to liking the QB..if they evaluate one of these guys as a guy that can be really good. You pick the QB now because you don't know whats going to happen next year.

That's what it is though

I just have reservations about McCarthy at 6, especially with how talented the rest of the class is. I think he'd be best if he goes to a place where he either has great weapons and an O line, or somewhere with the patience to let him sit for a bit. I think there are very few QB prospects who can be thrown out there day 1 and develop under any circumstance, and especially someone like McCarthy I think needs the proper team around him to develop right

He's a guy you need a plan for.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1885 » by mpharris36 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

DOT wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
DOT wrote:But on the flip side, this means you get another crack at a top QB next year, plus if Daboll has another bad season he's probably gone meaning you get a new HC and a rookie QB, so the HC isn't on the hot seat and can take his time developing the rookie QB rather than him being put in a situation where the HC is coaching for his life

That's what it is though

I just have reservations about McCarthy at 6, especially with how talented the rest of the class is. I think he'd be best if he goes to a place where he either has great weapons and an O line, or somewhere with the patience to let him sit for a bit. I think there are very few QB prospects who can be thrown out there day 1 and develop under any circumstance, and especially someone like McCarthy I think needs the proper team around him to develop right

agreed he's not a play day 1 guy but that doesn't mean you don't pick him.

If you do evaluate that if he stayed in college as a 21 year old and would come out next year as the #1 QB in the class...then it makes sense to pick him.

All that happened is that he redshirted within your organization which isn't the worst thing. Not comparing them but red-shirting time helped Mahomes and Love ect...I don't need JJM to come in day 1 and play because the Giants really don't have high expectations. But if they feel if he stayed in college would be the #1 QB in the class with development then you have your QB already on the roster going into 2025.

ROSTER

Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,586

Post#1886 » by Ghetto Gospel » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
DOT wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

That's what it is though

If you do evaluate that if he stayed in college as a 21 year old and would come out next year as the #1 QB in the class...then it makes sense to pick him.

All that happened is that he redshirted within your organization which isn't the worst thing. Not comparing them but red-shirting time helped Mahomes and Love ect...I don't need JJM to come in day 1 and play because the Giants really don't have high expectations. But if they feel if he stayed in college would be the #1 QB in the class with development then you have your QB already on the roster going into 2025.

in theory yes, but you do lose a year of cheap rookie wage if you pick him early which isn't nothing. nothing when it's mahomes, but it is something when it's jordan love

at first glance of next years draft, it does look weak at QB. even weaker when you consider deion saying that he's gonna have shedeur pull an eli and not go to any colder climates. so if we don't pick one this year, we might have to wait a couple of years. i'd entertain a move up for drake maye or jayden daniels depending on the price when you consider next years QB class
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1887 » by mpharris36 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

Read on Twitter

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1888 » by mpharris36 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
DOT wrote:That's what it is though

in theory yes, but you do lose a year of cheap rookie wage if you pick him early which isn't nothing. nothing when it's mahomes, but it is something when it's jordan love

at first glance of next years draft, it does look weak at QB. even weaker when you consider deion saying that he's gonna have shedeur pull an eli and not go to any colder climates. so if we don't pick one this year, we might have to wait a couple of years. i'd entertain a move up for drake maye or jayden daniels depending on the price when you consider next years QB class

Yeah redshirting you do lose an all important rookie year...but if it helps the development ultimately it wont matter as long as you hit the ground running for the next 4 years before the longer extension kicks in. Even those 1st couple of years of the extension the cap hit can be minimal because you can spread that hit out or weight it more in the later years.

So I don't mind really redshirting as long as you pick the right QB.

And like you said. The QB class next year is expected to be pretty week. Certainly some guys come out of nowhere...but if you the believe the QB is worth it you can't simply just push it next year and hope you fix it...too much unknown. Its the most important position in sports. Its not something you can just kick the can down the road even if there are tempting players at other positions.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1889 » by mpharris36 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter

ROSTER

Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,586

Post#1890 » by Ghetto Gospel » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Yeah redshirting you do lose an all important rookie year...but if it helps the development ultimately it wont matter as long as you hit the ground running for the next 4 years before the longer extension kicks in. Even those 1st couple of years of the extension the cap hit can be minimal because you can spread that hit out or weight it more in the later years.

So I don't mind really redshirting as long as you pick the right QB.

And like you said. The QB class next year is expected to be pretty week. Certainly some guys come out of nowhere...but if you the believe the QB is worth it you can't simply just push it next year and hope you fix it...too much unknown. Its the most important position in sports. Its not something you can just kick the can down the road even if there are tempting players at other positions.

yeah, but those guys were seen as projects with elite tools, JJM is a project with good not great tools. easier to take redshirt gamble on guys like that + rodgers, palmer etc.

that said, even though the 1st couple of years of an extension have minimal cap hits, its still an extra year however you slice it. imo, extremely high upside should be a baseline for redshirting imo. i guess it comes down to if you see this guy having top 5-10 qb in the league potential. i feel like the tools aren't there for that
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 822

Post#1891 » by KOA » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am

It's kinda stupid to take this into consideration in the draft process, but when was the last time the Giants had a promising receiver that didn't get injured playing on the dreaded Metlife turf?
Wandale Robinson, Kadarius Toney, Sterling Shepard, OBJ, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

Post#1892 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 pm

Giants FO chose to attend Penix's pro day over Maye's
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1893 » by mpharris36 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 pm

GONYK wrote:Giants FO chose to attend Penix's pro day over Maye's

I think it was reported they are setting up a private workout with Maye.

ROSTER

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1894 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:57 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

Yea, I saw that.

I wonder if they will do the same with Penix
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1895 » by mpharris36 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 pm

GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Yea, I saw that.

I wonder if they will do the same with Penix

Read on Twitter
?t=ofNa_VJJosM4u0Tpdl6O1Q&s=19

Seems like it

ROSTER

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1896 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:59 pm

Read on Twitter
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1897 » by mpharris36 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:04 pm

If penix is healthy he's a interesting player. Ran a 4.5 so he's a good athlete and probably the best pure pocket passer in the draft right now. He's going to be 24...but you could potentially draft a WR at 6 and then try to trade back into thrb1st for penix

ROSTER

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Post#1898 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 pm

mpharris36 wrote:If penix is healthy he's a interesting player. Ran a 4.5 so he's a good athlete and probably the best pure pocket passer in the draft right now. He's going to be 24...but you could potentially draft a WR at 6 and then try to trade back into thrb1st for penix

Depends on the cost but i wouldn't be mad. I just can't justify not taking one of these receivers with our desperate need for a big time playmaker at the position
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,502

Post#1899 » by j4remi » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Guess I can't even complain about letting Bryce Huff walk anymore. This is an upgrade.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,827

Post#1900 » by Rich Rane » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:41 pm

j4remi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Guess I can't even complain about letting Bryce Huff walk anymore. This is an upgrade.

Yeah and I can't complain about losing out on Jadeveon Clowney. The downside is giving up a pick 3 drafts from now.

Return to New York Knicks