ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NFL 23-24 Season thread 2

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,709

Re: OT: NFL 23-24 Season thread 2 

Post#1901 » by mpharris36 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:24 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:If penix is healthy he's a interesting player. Ran a 4.5 so he's a good athlete and probably the best pure pocket passer in the draft right now. He's going to be 24...but you could potentially draft a WR at 6 and then try to trade back into thrb1st for penix

Depends on the cost but i wouldn't be mad. I just can't justify not taking one of these receivers with our desperate need for a big time playmaker at the position

the only way you can justify it if you pick a franchise QB.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 822

Post#1902 » by KOA » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:18 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:If penix is healthy he's a interesting player. Ran a 4.5 so he's a good athlete and probably the best pure pocket passer in the draft right now. He's going to be 24...but you could potentially draft a WR at 6 and then try to trade back into thrb1st for penix

Depends on the cost but i wouldn't be mad. I just can't justify not taking one of these receivers with our desperate need for a big time playmaker at the position

Absolutely wouldn't waste anything more than a 6th on Penix. He's going to be one of those guys that people are surprised he drops even though he has every reason to... age, injuries, and just average
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,978

Post#1903 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:04 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

the only way you can justify it if you pick a franchise QB.

Yeah there's that. I just don't see us being able to land one lol

This is honestly a tough spot to be in. We really need to be in line for Williams or Maye, but we aren't. So i really can't justify taking a QB at 6 if they aren't franchise caliber. We just wasted several years because we reached for someone who is "just alright" instead of taking BPA regardless of position. I don't think that we can afford to do that again.

I'd rather obtain the most talent on both sides of the ball that we can and kick the QB can to next year. If we improve the OL and skill positions, at least next year we can take a risk on a QB and put him into a better position to succeed instead of taking say, a McCarthy this year and throwing him into the lions den without the proper support.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,091

Post#1904 » by TerrenceClarke » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:23 pm

That argument is null cause McCarthy won’t be starting this year. Even if the giants picked Maye he won’t be starting.

There is no lions den.

No matter what QB is picked Daniel Jones will be playing this year. He cost to much money to just sit down for a rookie QB.

I don’t even think if Caleb was picked he would play over Jones. The Giants can cut ties with jones after this year. They can easily sit any QB down this year to learn the system and not affect them.

Either you want QB or not but there is no lions den for a giants rookie QB
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,588

Post#1905 » by Ghetto Gospel » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:18 pm

for what its worth, our 2023 draft got regraded as a C- by the athletic.

things not looking good for joe schoen unless he nails this upcoming one

https://theathletic.com/5366550/2024/03/28/nfl-draft-2023-grades-cj-stroud-bryce-young/
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1906 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:22 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:That argument is null cause McCarthy won’t be starting this year. Even if the giants picked Maye he won’t be starting.

There is no lions den.

No matter what QB is picked Daniel Jones will be playing this year. He cost to much money to just sit down for a rookie QB.

I don’t even think if Caleb was picked he would play over Jones. The Giants can cut ties with jones after this year. They can easily sit any QB down this year to learn the system and not affect them.

I happen to agree...outside of Caleb Williams, Daniels, and maybe Bo Nix (just simply because of age). This he is a low ceiling guy but he probably could start day one because of his age.

Both Maye and JJM would be sit and wait guys (both being 21). Maye has a big arm and good athleticism but struggles under pressure and has a lot of inconsistencies in his game. So saying picking JJM doesn't make sense because he has to wait a year since Maye would sit as well. Nothing is wrong with that if you get the pick right.

Sure it sucks not to get instant gratification from a top pick...but the QB position is so important and a lot of successful QB's get a redshirt year.

That wouldn't be a reason I wouldn't pick them. In theory I would rather have a 21 year old that I would have to redshirt then a older QB that could play right away. For the Giant next year is not a push all chips to the table year...hopefully the defense makes strides to be a top unit. And then they can bring the young offense along. Burns acquisition didn't signal go all in this year he 25 so his timeline still is a 3-5 year window which means we can build a really good defense hopefully and then hopefully Daboll and Schoen can pick the right QB (whether its this year or soon) and bring that offense along.

ROSTER

TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#1907 » by TerrenceClarke » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:55 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:That argument is null cause McCarthy won’t be starting this year. Even if the giants picked Maye he won’t be starting.

There is no lions den.

I happen to agree...outside of Caleb Williams, Daniels, and maybe Bo Nix (just simply because of age). This he is a low ceiling guy but he probably could start day one because of his age.

Both Maye and JJM would be sit and wait guys (both being 21). Maye has a big arm and good athleticism but struggles under pressure and has a lot of inconsistencies in his game. So saying picking JJM doesn't make sense because he has to wait a year since Maye would sit as well. Nothing is wrong with that if you get the pick right.

Sure it sucks not to get instant gratification from a top pick...but the QB position is so important and a lot of successful QB's get a redshirt year.

That wouldn't be a reason I wouldn't pick them. In theory I would rather have a 21 year old that I would have to redshirt then a older QB that could play right away. For the Giant next year is not a push all chips to the table year...hopefully the defense makes strides to be a top unit. And then they can bring the young offense along. Burns acquisition didn't signal go all in this year he 25 so his timeline still is a 3-5 year window which means we can build a really good defense hopefully and then hopefully Daboll and Schoen can pick the right QB (whether its this year or soon) and bring that offense along.

I personally think any QB Caleb or Jayden. I think we go the same route as we did with Eli and Kurt Warner. I see the Giants Letting DJ at least play to showcase for his next team when the Giants cut ties after year 2, since its easier on the cap.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1908 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:15 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

There is no lions den.

I personally think any QB Caleb or Jayden. I think we go the same route as we did with Eli and Kurt Warner. I see the Giants Letting DJ at least play to showcase for his next team when the Giants cut ties after year 2, since its easier on the cap.

I don't disagree but the injury guarantee does complicate things. If you do plan on moving on from him officially in 2025. You need him to pass a physical so more guaranteed dollars don't lock in. It's kinda f*cked up with football but that was the reason Denver started sitting Russel Wilson late in the year so he didn't get injured to lock in more Inj Guarantee $$$.

Read on Twitter

So I think he start the year if he's healthy but if you have a QB waiting in the wings you probably want to at least make sure Jones (with his injury history) doesn't get banged up late in the year or has a 3rd and final neck injury forcing him to retire or Giants will be on the hook for more if you have his successor in the building already.

ROSTER

FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,461

Post#1909 » by FrozenEnvelope » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:53 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

Great listen regarding the upcoming rule changes.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,351

Post#1910 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:18 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I don't disagree but the injury guarantee does complicate things. If you do plan on moving on from him officially in 2025. You need him to pass a physical so more guaranteed dollars don't lock in. It's kinda f*cked up with football but that was the reason Denver started sitting Russel Wilson late in the year so he didn't get injured to lock in more Inj Guarantee $$$.

Read on Twitter

So I think he start the year if he's healthy but if you have a QB waiting in the wings you probably want to at least make sure Jones (with his injury history) doesn't get banged up late in the year or has a 3rd and final neck injury forcing him to retire or Giants will be on the hook for more if you have his successor in the building already.

Yea, the Giants can't afford Daniel Jones to get hurt again. That's a big reason they signed Locke imo. If they draft someone, it may even make more sense for Locke to be the bridge to avoid DJ getting hurt again... That could screw them
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1911 » by mpharris36 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:25 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yea, the Giants can't afford Daniel Jones to get hurt again. That's a big reason they signed Locke imo. If they draft someone, it may even make more sense for Locke to be the bridge to avoid DJ getting hurt again... That could screw them

correct. If they draft a QB in round 1 or round 2 or trade back late into round 1 it certainly would make some sense to not play Jones much especially later in the year.

Now if they draft a WR which a lot of people want...such as the below scenario (which is becoming very likely 4 QB's could go in the top 5.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-michael-penix-jr-taken-inside-top-15-afcs-top-qbs-gain-dynamic-pass-catchers/

you probably still have to play Daniel Jones because the QB of the future probably still isn't in the organization and Daniel Jones would be your best QB (he's better than Lock) option until proven otherwise.

ROSTER

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1912 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:05 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Read on Twitter

correct. If they draft a QB in round 1 or round 2 or trade back late into round 1 it certainly would make some sense to not play Jones much especially later in the year.

Now if they draft a WR which a lot of people want...such as the below scenario (which is becoming very likely 4 QB's could go in the top 5.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-michael-penix-jr-taken-inside-top-15-afcs-top-qbs-gain-dynamic-pass-catchers/

you probably still have to play Daniel Jones because the QB of the future probably still isn't in the organization and Daniel Jones would be your best QB (he's better than Lock) option until proven otherwise.

It’ll also depend on his health. 2022 Daniel Jones was better than Locke, but last year Locke was probably better than Jones. And now coming off ACL surgery….is DJ better than Locke coming back from injury? If he loses mobility it’s probably close.

Whatever slight edge Jones has, I don’t know if it’s worth the risk especially playing on the worst turf in the league. It might be more of a competition then is being let on especially if the recovery is slow….and there really is no point to rush him back. 10 month recovery I don’t think puts him back for week 1. I would be really surprised if DJ is out there starting week 1 and would take the under on 10 starts for DJ
Mavs
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1913 » by mpharris36 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:15 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

It’ll also depend on his health. 2022 Daniel Jones was better than Locke, but last year Locke was probably better than Jones. And now coming off ACL surgery….is DJ better than Locke coming back from injury? If he loses mobility it’s probably close.

Whatever slight edge Jones has, I don’t know if it’s worth the risk especially playing on the worst turf in the league. It might be more of a competition then is being let on especially if the recovery is slow….and there really is no point to rush him back. 10 month recovery I don’t think puts him back for week 1. I would be really surprised if DJ is out there starting week 1 and would take the under on 10 starts for DJ

For sure a lot will depend on his health...and what the Giants do in the draft. Obviously if they go QB...its pretty clear cut how the year will play out as the groom the young QB.

If they go WR...I do think there is a little more up in the air in terms of future at the position. I do think if Andrew Thomas didn't get hurt on the first drive we would be having a completely different conversation...it had ripple effects. But thats unfortunately the way of the NFL.

ROSTER

TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#1914 » by TerrenceClarke » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:13 pm

I didnt know they gave Daniel Jones this type of clause. Smh. This was a bad contract all around. You should only give this to star QBs and DJ wasnt at the time he got it.

Schoen is looking suspect even more
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1915 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:28 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

For sure a lot will depend on his health...and what the Giants do in the draft. Obviously if they go QB...its pretty clear cut how the year will play out as the groom the young QB.

If they go WR...I do think there is a little more up in the air in terms of future at the position. I do think if Andrew Thomas didn't get hurt on the first drive we would be having a completely different conversation...it had ripple effects. But thats unfortunately the way of the NFL.

Yea, QB is such a big hole right now. I think either way they need to move on from Daniel Jones and part of that is to ensure he doesn’t suffer another major injury. So whether they draft a qb this year or not, the plan is probably similiar in terms of Daniel Jones. Personally I would rather go with Locke this year over taking the chance DJ suffers another injury.
Mavs
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 822

Post#1916 » by KOA » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:45 am

It kinda seems like a lock that the first 3 picks are QBs and the next 2 picks are receivers. I don’t see a scenario where Arizona and the Chargers don’t get Murray and Herbert some weapons after getting rid of Hopkins and Allen.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1917 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:08 pm

Diggs traded to Houston for a 2nd rounder. Jesus

ScienceOfLosing
Sixth Man
And1: 1,644

Post#1918 » by ScienceOfLosing » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:45 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Diggs traded to Houston for a 2nd rounder. Jesus

Houston had the #2 pick 2 years ago, took Stroud and took off.
Now they add Diggs, who has maybe 2 to 4 high level years left? He is 30.
Still, what a turnaround.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1919 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:12 pm

ScienceOfLosing wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Diggs traded to Houston for a 2nd rounder. Jesus

Houston had the #2 pick 2 years ago, took Stroud and took off.
Now they add Diggs, who has maybe 2 to 4 high level years left? He is 30.
Still, what a turnaround.

Seriously. And smart GM'ing too. They waste no time getting Stroud weapons while he is on a dirt cheap contract

FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,461

Post#1920 » by FrozenEnvelope » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:13 pm

Take a WR and Penix in the 2nd seems the safest route imo. We desperately need a changing WR who will force opposing defense to gameplan and Penix has raw tools and can sit a year or two to fix his issues. This is where I am right now.

Return to New York Knicks