ImageImageImageImageImage

OG Anunoby Traded to Knicks

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,377
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: OG Anunoby Traded to Knicks 

Post#1981 » by BKlutch » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:00 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Hahn calls SAS's take on the OG trade "The middest take ever."

Read on Twitter

Zero f*cks to give about what that fake assclown thinks

I don't think he is wrong about losing IQ, but he should have known that IQ was gone as soon as the deadline passed without him receiving an offer.

But this trade was a vertical move for the Knicks. OG made an immediate impact on both ends. There's no question that the Knicks will be better long term with this deal, especially after a supplemental deal is made to obtain another bench piece.

I just think Stephen A hates the team and refuses to be happy about anything.

The video putting SAS against yesterday's OG highlights is incredibly funny, because is shows that SAS is a mouthpiece without a brain piece. THey have Kendrick Perkins, who is incredibly perceptive and witty. He shows he doesn't like SAS, so his time at ESPN may be limited.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,662

Post#1982 » by Buttah304 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:01 pm

OG was +19
7-12 FG
3-6 3PT
Lead Team with a 95.3 Defensive Rating

Held KAT and Edwards to 6-22 FG

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,985

Post#1983 » by Stannis » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:03 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Buttah304 wrote:Respectfully this gets thrown around way too much and just feels lazy. Grimes, DDV, J Hart at least to me are role players. When we played Miami last playoff Caleb Martin was hurting us as a role player. When we just lost to Indiana Nembhard hurt us as a role player. The list is essentially endless as you can identify those kinds of guys on every team in the league.

People get way too caught up in “can player X create off the dribble” and can they easily “get you a bucket when it matters.” If they don’t check those boxes they automatically get filed under “must be a role player.”

Feels like a slight to OG for this reason: How many guys can you find that will pour in 16PPG and 6 Rebounds, while getting 3+ deflections, over 1.5 steals, legitimately guard 1-5 (he spent 25% on PF/SF last year, 20% on PG/SG and 10% on C). Not to mention have a 59% TS the last 3 seasons, hit threes at a 39% clip and blend into an offense by cutting back door as to not take away from our primary ball handlers.

OG is probably one of the better 2 way players the league has to offer he just impacts the game without eye popping, popcorn style creativity.

You are right. I am not familiar with his game and I just went on the cRaptors board to see what they were saying. And it seemed like a lot viewed him as a role player that they did not want to pay.

From what you said. He sounds great. But will he be worth 35/40m a year ?

Even though that 80's 76ers team had Dr J, Moses, World B Free, Mo Cheeks, Toney, etc, they wouldn't have won a chip without Bobby Jones providing probably the best all around defense from a non C, in the league.

How many $, adjusted, was he worth.

Sometimes defensive guys are worth it, if they aren't zeros on offense.

35 is a lot. It's also the old "28"

Whatever. It's not my money. As long as the cap flexibility is still there or the players are good enough to be moved with X contract, don't care.

True. But I guess the difference is I don't believe we are at a point to make this kind of trade .

I still don't believe in Randle, our backup PGs, our centers, or Thibs.

But the flexibility is still there. Knicks haven't extended OG yet. We got to dump RJ. And won't have to worry about paying/overpaying Quickly.

I'm kinda just assuming he's going to get 5 years @ 40m a year lol. Which I think would hurt our flexibility. Knicks have actually done a good job not being stuck with mega max players like most of the league. But that might change with OG.
Free Palestine
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,635

Post#1984 » by knicksNOTslick » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:08 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
god shammgod wrote:i didn't say he was negative, i said he was salary filler. some gm's around the league called him toxic. not me.

i do think if the knicks included evan and sims instead or whatever the deal still happens. i don't think the raptors said we have to have rj or it's off.

I don't think he was holding up the deal. But it's very possible Tor preferred RJ over Fournier and maybe we would have thrown in a better pick or another pick. If anything from a marketing standpoint to get the home town kid.

In terms of the Knicks, they probably did want to move on at this point.

Toronto makes sense to prefer RJ over Fournier because they can afford to take risks at the moment. A lot more so than New York who is looking to become a contender. The Raptors were going nowhere with their poorly constructed roster and aren't bad enough to be a bottom dweller. Fournier is who he is. Although he will make them a better shooting team, that really does nothing for them in the future. So he really would just be salary filler. As for RJ, all it takes is one GM to believe that you can still reach your potential. No matter how many other GMs think you're a toxic asset, you just need one to think they can unlock your game. Failed draft picks get second, third, fourth chances all the time. I don't see why RJ at 23 years old would already have zero believers in the NBA being projected that high in the draft. Like you said, Toronto as the hometown team was the best spot to trade him to in terms of value.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1985 » by Stannis » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:10 pm

KnicksGod wrote:The evidence points to Toronto valuing him some. Maybe they think he can be traded if he doesn’t rise. That’s still a form of value though — that he can either maintain his value as a trade chip in a larger deal or start to become a very good player.

It just feels weird though. This is not what I expected from Masai Ujiri, given our history. I still have PSTD from those trades he did with us lol.

I was on the boat that RJ was on a "toxic" contract and we would have to package him with picks to kiss him goodbye. I liked Quickly but he was due for a contract and I am not completely sure the Knicks wanted to pay him the big bucks.

So it's just weird that Masai of all people bit on this trade. Surprised he didn't squeeze a pick or two out of this.

Toronto definitely had to value RJ some, otherwise they wouldn't take that contract and asked for Evan Fournier instead.

I'm also curious what happened behind the scenes with OG and Toronto. Toronto stop believing in him? Or did OG make it clear he wasn't going to resign with them?
Free Palestine
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,972

Post#1986 » by knicks94 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:12 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Hahn calls SAS's take on the OG trade "The middest take ever."

Read on Twitter

Zero f*cks to give about what that fake assclown thinks

Seriously, I'd rather listen to Charles Smith's opinion than Stephen A's.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,349

Re: PG: KNICKS vs Twolves - Welcome To NY, OG 

Post#1987 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:15 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The deal doesn't say much about his value. I never said Toronto viewed him as toxic asset, as I don't think the trade suggests they did (although according to Lowe some other FOs do). But I think it's plausible they viewed him either as a positive asset, as a neutral asset (salary filler), or as a negative asset (if for instance the Detroit pick was compensation for taking on the remaining 3.5 years on his contract).

We don't know how they valued him in this deal. Maybe Zach Lowe or Woj will report on the details at some point. I'm open to the idea he may have been a positive asset, but you don't seem open to the idea that he may have been a negative asset (even just slightly). I think both are plausible. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone he had negative value to the Raptors. My guess is it's more likely he was salary filler (neutral value) and the Raptors were like "why not", but I don't know.

We'll see how his career evolves. I think the priority for him is to find and embrace a role where he can impact winning, after stagnating for the last 2.5 years.

Where I disagree with you (based on what you implied) is that being demoted to a 6th man or bench role wouldn't necessarily be an indictment against his contract, but it might just be what salvages its value, from an increasingly "toxic" contract to an (probable) overpay that you can live with as an organization, if he plays well in that role.

I just want him to contribute to winning and hopefully under a different coach with different expectations (including self-imposed) he can get there, regardless of his contract. The ink is dry.

Based on reports and what actually happened we can make assumptions. The Raptors had a high asking price. They even turned down an offer of 3 firsts. In terms of IQ, rumors had that the Knicks were shopping him for a first rounder. As much as I like IQ he's not worth 3 first. They got IQ, RJ and a high second. Just from all this information and based on the fact the Knicks could have easily swapped in Fournier, it is obvious that RJ was not a negative value. Maybe he was somewhere between neutral to first round pick value. Probably had enough value where he prevented better pick compensation. Of course we don't know for sure, but plenty of evidence to have an idea.

Contrary to popular expectations, the Toronto Raptors stood pat at the trade deadline. Names such as OG Anunoby and Fred VanVleet were popular trade candidates all week long, but no deal materialized for either player. That's not to say that teams tried their best to pry away these players from Toronto, though. Both the Memphis Grizzlies and the Indiana Pacers reportedly offered three first-round picks for the Raptors forward, per Zach Lowe's sources.

The Raptors are notoriously difficult to negotiate with, with Masai Ujiri always looking to acquire the farm for any player of his with immense value. They reportedly asked for three-first round picks — or perhaps even more — in any Anunoby trade, which may be too prohibitive of a price even for a team with as many assets to trade as the Knicks.

According to sources around the league, the Knicks have targeted a future first-round pick in a return for Quickley, who is extension-eligible this upcoming summer.

But these quotes aren't new, are they. The market keeps fluctuating with new information and new developments.

- It's plausible the Knicks valued IQ more a week ago than they did before the summer.

- It's plausible that OG's value dropped a bit since last year (which either Lowe or Marks actually suggested recently) and the Raptors had to revisit their expectations.

- It's also plausible that other suitors dropped their pursuit after OG's move to CAA because they knew he would leave for Philly in FA or use it as leverage to get a S&T to NY.

These things aren't stable.

Maybe NY wanted the equivalent of two firsts for IQ (same as they reportedly did Mitch although I assume part of the Mitch rumor was posturing) after another excellent start of the season. Maybe the actual, behind-the-scenes asking price for OG dropped to two firsts from three last year. I don't see how these interpretations aren't plausible.

From a basketball standpoint, I actually think a straight swap of IQ and OG makes perfect sense considering their quality and the needs of each team. Whether those parties shared that opinion, I don't know, but I don't see any interpretation about RJ's value from mildly negative to mildly positive in this deal as far-fetched.

It's possible. Somewhere between slight negative to slight positive is debatable and not worth arguing anymore.

Just saying, its not possible they view him as toxic cause then that trade doesn't make sense for them.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1988 » by Stannis » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:15 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
god shammgod wrote:i didn't say he was negative, i said he was salary filler. some gm's around the league called him toxic. not me.

i do think if the knicks included evan and sims instead or whatever the deal still happens. i don't think the raptors said we have to have rj or it's off.

I don't think he was holding up the deal. But it's very possible Tor preferred RJ over Fournier and maybe we would have thrown in a better pick or another pick. If anything from a marketing standpoint to get the home town kid.

In terms of the Knicks, they probably did want to move on at this point.

Toronto makes sense to prefer RJ over Fournier because they can afford to take risks at the moment. A lot more so than New York who is looking to become a contender. The Raptors were going nowhere with their poorly constructed roster and aren't bad enough to be a bottom dweller. Fournier is who he is. Although he will make them a better shooting team, that really does nothing for them in the future. So he really would just be salary filler. As for RJ, all it takes is one GM to believe that you can still reach your potential. No matter how many other GMs think you're a toxic asset, you just need one to think they can unlock your game. Failed draft picks get second, third, fourth chances all the time. I don't see why RJ at 23 years old would already have zero believers in the NBA being projected that high in the draft. Like you said, Toronto as the hometown team was the best spot to trade him to in terms of value.

Sure they can take risk. But why would they want to? They had clean cap space.

They must really believe in RJ.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks