ImageImageImageImageImage

How close are the Knicks to Contention?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,507

Re: How close are the Knicks to Contention? 

Post#141 » by RHODEY » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:49 pm

ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#142 » by ctorres » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:49 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:I guess there will be a move coming
Read on Twitter

Could have waited to waive him once there was a trade announced.

I'm guessing there is a trade happening sooner rather than later.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,075

Post#143 » by Jeffrey » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:51 pm

ctorres wrote:
Read on Twitter

His contract was going to be guranteed today.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,093

Post#144 » by god shammgod » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:54 pm

isn't jan 8th the day a lot of contracts become trade-able including murray ? that's tomorrow.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,346

Post#145 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:56 pm

JayTWill wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Good points and I agree for the most part. The team is playing great and I love where we are at. I am fine if we roll with what we have and see where it goes. Might be for the best not to make any moves at this point. The playoffs will be the big test where a lot of questions will be answered.

Other than getting a reliable backup C or PF it is probably best to roll this set of dice and refine the roster in the off-season

However, when your powder is dry it usually comes down to what the market will yield. So a deal may still happen before the trade deadline. I want to play it out with Grimes and Deuce though to see how they play and would not enjoy seeing them shipping out now

I agree with everything you said about getting a reliable backup C and letting things play out for the most part but I would love to add one more experienced ball handler to the roster even if it is just an end of bench veteran. I want to see what McBride is capable of as a backup guard for the rest of the season but just throwing him into the fire as an offensive initiator in the playoffs may be too much for him. It's an extremely high pressure role. This is his first time being the lead ball handler for an extended period. IQ had much more regular season experience in that role and even he struggled leading the offense without Brunson in the playoffs. IQ's shooting numbers were terrible and he averaged more turnovers than assists.

No matter how McBride performs in these few months before the playoffs i'm not sure how much he can be trusted when the defensive intensity ramps up. I could easily envision a scenario where Brunson goes to the bench, teams press up on McBride, the Knicks spend 14-18 seconds just trying to get into their offensive set and are forced to throw up bad shots late in the shot clock. It happened many times in the last playoffs. I'd rather give him a full season and offseason to become acclimated to the role. Maybe there is someone else on the roster besides Brunson that can reliably run an offense under pressure but we have not seen it yet.

IQ was a far better player than Kyle Lowry at that point in their careers in last year's playoff series but you could easily see the difference in experience and how the teams functioned especially with the top guys not on the court.

It is Deuce's third year. He hasn't gotten a ton of minutes in those years, but he's not a rookie. He knows his teammates and the plays and getting 15-25 MPG for the rest of the season should get him as ready as he'll ever be to see how he handles the playoffs. So far he does not turn over the ball. That's important, because while he may not be wizard with the ball, he understands what he is doing well enough already.

Plus, he can shoot. He's proving it already. The more he plays the more chances he'll have to have breakout games on offense. That putback jam was a guy playing loose and without fear. I like what I'm seeing.
ImageImageImage
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,571

Post#146 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Jan 7, 2024 9:57 pm

ctorres wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think his contract was getting guaranteed today so they had to waive him
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,404

Post#147 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 7, 2024 10:34 pm

ctorres wrote:
Read on Twitter

It was the so the $ weren't guaranteed. The hand of Brock Aller.

Also, it probably signals to other teams Knicks are in talks with that they are serious and ready.

Every player the Knicks are interested in, theoretically, among Murray, Brogdon, Boj, Clarkson, Olynyk etc, will be drawing interest from other teams. So, maybe Knicks are interested in striking first, IF the parameters of the deal is good for them, which probably rules out anyone on Utah because Ainge.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,404

Post#148 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jan 7, 2024 10:34 pm

god shammgod wrote:isn't jan 8th the day a lot of contracts become trade-able including murray ? that's tomorrow.

I think he's the 9th, because as Knick fans, there is always some additional time for angst.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,698

Post#149 » by mpharris36 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 10:58 pm

mikal just dropped 42 pts tonight in a nets loss....on 26 shots...make the deal Leon!
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,235

Post#150 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Jan 7, 2024 11:20 pm

mpharris36 wrote:mikal just dropped 42 pts tonight in a nets loss....on 26 shots...make the deal Leon!

It seems like he's grown from his experience as the guy in NJ. Plus, he fits the Villanova crew.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,892

Post#151 » by KnixinSix » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:08 am

mpharris36 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
if randle flames out in the playoffs we are doomed anyway. Getting a potential 20 pt two way player would fit what we are trying to do without upsetting the apple card.

Mikal avg 23.5 ppg in the playoff series vs the sixers last year at 40% shooting. He also gives us a versatile wing that can defend multiple positions.

if randle flames out but if we have another big time scorer who can step up we can still win games. mikal has regressed this year and i just don't see how he's the answer to making us championship contender. if we already had our 3rd scorer then yeah i wouldnt mind mikal as a 4th option.

mikal only had one game he shot over 40% from the field in the playoffs last year. and they got swept. you can't rely on him. nets aren't going to trade him so it is kinda moot arguing for him

no real concerned they got swept. We all know Mikal can't be the best player on a playoff contending team.

And have some confidence in your guy! If you really believe Randle is going to flame out where we need to build in a contingency plan we should move him now. If we go into the playoffs with Mikal as a #3 option that will do wonders to his EFF.

Mikhal would be an incredible fit here just incredible.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6

Return to New York Knicks