ImageImageImageImageImage

How close are the Knicks to Contention?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,506

How close are the Knicks to Contention? 

Post#1 » by RHODEY » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:35 pm

Context
RealGM
And1: 12,470

Re: How close are the Knicks to Contention? 

Post#2 » by Context » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:44 pm

At quick glance...One move away...and this team as constructed could "upset" its way to the finals...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,892

Post#3 » by KnixinSix » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:54 pm

Context wrote:At quick glance...One move away...and this team as constructed could "upset" its way to the finals...

Agreed on both points. All the scoring bruden though now (aside from great shooting nights like the Philly game) is on Brun and Julius.

Give me the guy that helps 2 positions both offensively and defensively and takes becomes a bonfide consistent dynamic 3rd scorer for the team.

That's Murray.

LaVine just too expensive a contract but Id consider him too if we kept most our picks.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
Context
RealGM

Post#4 » by Context » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:01 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
Context wrote:At quick glance...One move away...and this team as constructed could "upset" its way to the finals...

Agreed on both points. All the scoring bruden though now (aside from great shooting nights like the Philly game) is on Brun and Julius.

Give me the guy that helps 2 positions both offensively and defensively and takes becomes a bonfide consistent dynamic 3rd scorer for the team.

That's Murray.

LaVine just too expensive a contract but Id consider him too if we kept most our picks.

Even though I havent watched much NBA basketball this year...I can agree with you on Lavine...not worth the cost and we dont
need that much offense...
As far as Murray...I wouldnt know...but I agree- we need a nice two way player to seal this...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#5 » by sol537 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:02 pm

One Olynyk and Brogdon (or equivalents) away…
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,456

Post#6 » by robillionaire » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:05 pm

As close as we are, we are also really close to going the other way. If Brunson gets injured, season over. If Randle gets injured, season over. If Hartenstein gets injured, season over. If OG gets injured, you guessed it, season over. We don’t have high level backups to patch up the holes if we lose any of them. Maybe OG you could replace with Hart and tinker around with it and still compete but the defense wouldn’t be high level to win anymore. So it all comes down to health and ideally we bring in a 3rd scoring option before the deadline
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,930

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:05 pm

One supplemental move is needed, but I wouldn't rush to do it yet unless the offer is something that can't be refused. I want to see a bigger sample size of McBride as backup PG.

The Murray move is probably the most viable and fits the most with the team's timeline
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#8 » by sol537 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:06 pm

robillionaire wrote:As close as we are, we are also really close to going the other way. If Brunson gets injured, season over. If Randle gets injured, season over. If Hartenstein gets injured, season over. If OG gets injured, you guessed it, season over. We don’t have high level backups to patch up the holes if we lose any of them. Maybe OG you could replace with Hart and tinker around with it and still compete but the defense wouldn’t be high level to win anymore. So it all comes down to health and ideally we bring in a 3rd scoring option before the deadline

It’s a good thing Thibs is not playing the starters damn near 40 mins per!
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#9 » by robillionaire » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:07 pm

sol537 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:As close as we are, we are also really close to going the other way. If Brunson gets injured, season over. If Randle gets injured, season over. If Hartenstein gets injured, season over. If OG gets injured, you guessed it, season over. We don’t have high level backups to patch up the holes if we lose any of them. Maybe OG you could replace with Hart and tinker around with it and still compete but the defense wouldn’t be high level to win anymore. So it all comes down to health and ideally we bring in a 3rd scoring option before the deadline

It’s a good thing Thibs is not playing the starters damn near 40 mins per!

If he wants to win games he doesn’t have much other choice
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,506

Post#10 » by RHODEY » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:40 pm

True..but that goes for the other top teams... Tatum, Brown, GIanis Lilliard, Embiid ..Maxey. Whats amazing is that we already lost Mitch but we are still in the mix.

My wants:

3rd scorer/and or ball handler off the bench
Murry
Brogdan
Rozier

Big
Olynk
Gafford
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,346

Post#11 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:44 pm

You can say the same about every other team

Health is the variable the whole NBA cannot control

I cannot think of a single team in the current NBA that would still be in contention if they did not have their # 1 or top 2 guys available for the playoffs

Jokic could not have won last year without Murray
ImageImageImage
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by KnixinSix » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:50 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:One supplemental move is needed, but I wouldn't rush to do it yet unless the offer is something that can't be refused. I want to see a bigger sample size of McBride as backup PG.

The Murray move is probably the most viable and fits the most with the team's timeline

Ive broken this down every way till Sunday and I keep coming back to this being THE move based on what I think the Knicks want to do now and how they want to save pieces potentially for one final huge move involving Randle (either in a surprising move at deadline or if he underperforms in playoffs again).

-25 ish M dollar salary next 4 years. That is cheap in today's NBA for a 20+ pt player. It would allow us trading Randle + for a 50M dollar player without going over the 2nd apron.
-Young/ not super injury prone
-Versatile
-Can take some burden off JB both while on court together (JB can play sometimes off ball) and then as an elite ball handler that can run second squad.
-Won't cost the moon in assets bc he is not quite on the level of some of the bigger stars (but perfectly fits into the role we need him for)
-Will be that 3rd consistent scorer for us. A guy that kind of replaces the offensive loss of IQ but is a more dynamic scorer than IQ even if not quite as pure a shooter. He is also good enough to be the #2 guy on an off night shooting for JR or JB.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by KnixinSix » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:51 pm

RHODEY wrote:

True..but that goes for the other top teams... Tatum, Brown, GIanis Lilliard, Embiid ..Maxey. Whats amazing is that we already lost Mitch but we are still in the mix.

My wants:

3rd scorer/and or ball handler off the bench
Murry
Brogdan
Rozier

Big
Olynk
Gafford

Getting Olynyk in addition to Murray would be awesome
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,094

Post#14 » by DaGawd » Sun Jan 7, 2024 4:55 pm

i can’t see the hawks letting murray go for cheap given what they gave up to get him.. that alone gives me pause on pursuing him
BaF
Washington Wizards
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,479

Post#15 » by WargamesX » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:06 pm

DaGawd wrote:i can’t see the hawks letting murray go for cheap given what they gave up to get him.. that alone gives me pause on pursuing him

Define cheap though when the Knicks have an abundance of draft picks. We traded that Detroit 2nd rounder and still have 3 draft picks slotted for this year and 3 slotted for next year, and like 2 maybe draft picks that could potentially convey not including all our own draft picks. I think the Knicks could do this trade and still recoup the assets needed for the Superstar trade in the time between now and then.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Context
RealGM

Post#16 » by Context » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:19 pm

I will say this...the quality and maturity of that OG trade gives me confidence that they will bring in the right fit. The question will be- can "the player who comes in" handle the NYC lights.

:o :D

:lol:
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#17 » by Kampuchea » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:28 pm

Don’t think there are any top teams out there that can afford to lose their top player.

As for scoring option, yeah that’s the biggest need. I think to be a title team they need a Donovan, Embid or other significant move.
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#18 » by robillionaire » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:32 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

You can say the same about every other team

Health is the variable the whole NBA cannot control

I cannot think of a single team in the current NBA that would still be in contention if they did not have their # 1 or top 2 guys available for the playoffs

Jokic could not have won last year without Murray

For their top one or two guys, yes. But I think this also applies to us with Hartenstein. He doesn’t even have to get injured. If he even gets in foul trouble we are going to be in panic mode. OG is another role player who can make or break the team
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,563

Post#19 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:33 pm

KnixinSix wrote:

That's Murray.

dejounte murray hasn't been good on defense in years. thats the problem. and he is probably going to be expensive since mad teams will want him.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,094

Post#20 » by DaGawd » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:44 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

That's Murray.

dejounte murray hasn't been good on defense in years. thats the problem. and he is probably going to be expensive since mad teams will want him.

this. murray is a gambler on defense. might work out here with og being the anchor but he’s not a man on man shut down defender some think he is.
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to New York Knicks