ImageImageImageImageImage

Upcoming Hartenstein free agency

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,319

Re: Upcoming Hartenstein free agency 

Post#141 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:30 am

HopelessKnick wrote:I would be surprised if no other team offers him 3years and 60million. He is worth it.

That team would need cap space, and need a center, perhaps in a shared role, but even so, he'd have to fit their need, and they'd probably want to be in the playoff hunt, as I don't think signing I-Hart to a team expecting 35 wins makes sense.

In the right situation, I could see 3-60 or a bit more, but most teams are watching their cap space. I'm not sure what to predict for I-Hart. I think a team with a lot of cap space would look for a more established star first.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#142 » by Adelheid » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:52 am

3/45m
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 588

Post#143 » by styLesdavis » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:17 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
styLesdavis wrote:Video from basketnews about the impact of Hartenstein. You might not be familiar with them since they focus mainly on EuroLeague but their analysis are spot on.

[url][/url]

Not just Hartensteins defensive metric but they also mention (as great as Thibs is on the defensive end) how bad Thibs includes Isaiah on the offensive end where his passing abilities could really make a difference.

To be fair: of Thibs doesn`t change (and he won`t) - i would like Hartenstein to find a suitable franchise like Orlando.

thanks for the video.

have you watched the most recent games? hartenstein has been a fulcrum and release valve in the offense. much more usage than earlier in the season.

I did and you are 100% right. I`ve watched about 90% of Hartensteins NBA games. Isaiah was born near my home town and he is the only player i actually played against when he was about 16 and i was 31 during a pre-season game.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,911

Re: Upcoming Hartenstein extension 

Post#144 » by 8516knicks » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:17 am

GONYK wrote:iHart is CAA. I would find it hard to believe that certain understandings aren't already in place.

That's not to say that some team can't come and offer him the MAX or something to lure him away. But I don't look around the landscape of the league and see a ton of teams with capspace, who want to dedicate most of it to a C, and are a bccetter situation than NY.

Also, I would think his indirect income (not strictly NBA contract - i.e. advertising dollars, promo, etc.) would be much higher with him not only in NYC but on a good team with a good reputation to match his individual good rep. Name 5 ex Utah or bumf*ck stars out of the league 5 years. For that matter, it's hard to name 5 old Nets beyond Erving and Kittles and the guard who played here. This is the NBA Mecca. If u play in a place like Memphis, you need a Glock like Morant to make national news aside from your playing. :lol:
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,119

Post#145 » by Besart19 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:33 am

If we wants more you sign and trade him for the likes of Turner, Ayton or even Towns (Randle plus Hart and some picks)
Strength and Honour!
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,319

Re: Upcoming Hartenstein extension 

Post#146 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:26 am

8516knicks wrote:
GONYK wrote:iHart is CAA. I would find it hard to believe that certain understandings aren't already in place.

That's not to say that some team can't come and offer him the MAX or something to lure him away. But I don't look around the landscape of the league and see a ton of teams with capspace, who want to dedicate most of it to a C, and are a bccetter situation than NY.

Also, I would think his indirect income (not strictly NBA contract - i.e. advertising dollars, promo, etc.) would be much higher with him not only in NYC but on a good team with a good reputation to match his individual good rep. Name 5 ex Utah or bumf*ck stars out of the league 5 years. For that matter, it's hard to name 5 old Nets beyond Erving and Kittles and the guard who played here. This is the NBA Mecca. If u play in a place like Memphis, you need a Glock like Morant to make national news aside from your playing. :lol:

How much do you think I-Hart gets in advertising and promos? Maybe it goes up if he becomes a championship hero after the Knicks win it all, but baring that, I have a tough time believing it's more than 1-2 million a year. (correct me if I'm wrong). This isn't a marketing star like LeBron who might make equal in advertising what he makes in his contract, so I don't think that's a big difference. Also, NY taxes are higher, living expenses a bit higher, though most players live in Westchester, which is expensive, but isn't super expensive.

I agree with GoNYK. A team could outbid the Knicks, but I'm guessing that doesn't happen, and I think the Knicks probably offer him about the max that they can, which is, I think, in the 3-45 range (or can NY offer 4 years? - which I would do.

I'm a little confused by the latest NBA rules on contracts.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,041

Post#147 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:59 pm

Besart19 wrote:If we wants more you sign and trade him for the likes of Turner, Ayton or even Towns (Randle plus Hart and some picks)

We can’t give him more. That’s the whole issue.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,391

Post#148 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:21 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HopelessKnick wrote:I would be surprised if no other team offers him 3years and 60million. He is worth it.

That team would need cap space, and need a center, perhaps in a shared role, but even so, he'd have to fit their need, and they'd probably want to be in the playoff hunt, as I don't think signing I-Hart to a team expecting 35 wins makes sense.

In the right situation, I could see 3-60 or a bit more, but most teams are watching their cap space. I'm not sure what to predict for I-Hart. I think a team with a lot of cap space would look for a more established star first.

This spotrac page is semi-useful for having an idea of the practical cap space. Ofc, teams can and do get creative. Like when the Knicks made space to sign KD and Kyrie. :x

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2024/

OKC is sort of interesting there.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/oklahoma-city-thunder/cap/2024/

Would they be in the market to spend $18m on iHart in preference to JWill as a backup to Chet? Do they think they are contending right now? What happens if they make the WCFs?
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,160

Post#149 » by sol537 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:27 pm

NYK gives him a 4 year 60+ with an opt out after year one or year two so he remains flexible to renegotiate a new contract if needed. Everyone wins. He and his wife love it here, the team loves him, coaches love him, city loves him, we gave him a chance when the clippers couldn’t… I just don’t see iHart bailing on what he’s helped to build here.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#150 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:30 pm

sol537 wrote:NYK gives him a 4 year 60+ with an opt out after year one or year two so he remains flexible to renegotiate a new contract if needed. Everyone wins. He and his wife love it here, the team loves him, coaches love him, city loves him, we gave him a chance when the clippers couldn’t… I just don’t see iHart bailing on what he’s helped to build here.

I essentially agree with this. However, I also agree with Luv_those_Knicks's post above. I don't see iHart making a ton of money from shoe commercials or whatever. So 15m over 3 years (20m x 15m) is a lot of money.

Otoh, he's sort of the starter now here. Whereas in OKC he definitely wouldn't be.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#151 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:32 pm

styLesdavis wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
styLesdavis wrote:Video from basketnews about the impact of Hartenstein. You might not be familiar with them since they focus mainly on EuroLeague but their analysis are spot on.

[url][/url]

Not just Hartensteins defensive metric but they also mention (as great as Thibs is on the defensive end) how bad Thibs includes Isaiah on the offensive end where his passing abilities could really make a difference.

To be fair: of Thibs doesn`t change (and he won`t) - i would like Hartenstein to find a suitable franchise like Orlando.

thanks for the video.

have you watched the most recent games? hartenstein has been a fulcrum and release valve in the offense. much more usage than earlier in the season.

I did and you are 100% right. I`ve watched about 90% of Hartensteins NBA games. Isaiah was born near my home town and he is the only player i actually played against when he was about 16 and i was 31 during a pre-season game.

And you could still school him now, I hope. :D
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#152 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:38 pm

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,041

Post#153 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:18 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
sol537 wrote:NYK gives him a 4 year 60+ with an opt out after year one or year two so he remains flexible to renegotiate a new contract if needed. Everyone wins. He and his wife love it here, the team loves him, coaches love him, city loves him, we gave him a chance when the clippers couldn’t… I just don’t see iHart bailing on what he’s helped to build here.

I essentially agree with this. However, I also agree with Luv_those_Knicks's post above. I don't see iHart making a ton of money from shoe commercials or whatever. So 15m over 3 years (20m x 15m) is a lot of money.

Otoh, he's sort of the starter now here. Whereas in OKC he definitely wouldn't be.

We. Can’t. Do. This.

We have to offer him at least two years. 1and1 is not an option.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,121

Post#154 » by Jeffrey » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:54 pm

He also said money plays a factor in his decision.

He told a story about the Nets during draft night or something and how he lost a few million dollars because of it. He's probably looking to get a payday and this is the right time for him.
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#155 » by 8516knicks » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:46 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

Oklahoma is for cows. Isn't that the state motto? If not, it should be. :lol:
8516knicks
Head Coach

Post#156 » by 8516knicks » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:49 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

We. Can’t. Do. This.

We have to offer him at least two years. 1and1 is not an option.

So Dolan gives him a kazoo and signs him to his band for another $20M per year. :nod:
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,119

Post#157 » by Besart19 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:54 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Besart19 wrote:If he wants more you sign and trade him for the likes of Turner, Ayton or even Towns (Randle plus Hart and some picks)

We can’t give him more. That’s the whole issue.

Thats why the Sign and Trade should be an option
Strength and Honour!
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#158 » by BowlRips » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:13 pm

They can offer him up to 4 years 73mil. That should be enough to secure his services especially if he's willing to give a home-town discount.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,160

Post#159 » by sol537 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:19 pm

BowlRips wrote:They can offer him up to 4 years 73mil. That should be enough to secure his services especially if he's willing to give a home-town discount.

I think we lock up OG and iHart to "fair" deals as soon as free agency starts. iHart knows what he's helped to build here and we were the first team to really give him a chance to thrive playing next to like-minded winners in a city that seems to fit he and his wife to a "T".
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#160 » by BowlRips » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:15 pm

sol537 wrote:
BowlRips wrote:They can offer him up to 4 years 73mil. That should be enough to secure his services especially if he's willing to give a home-town discount.

I think we lock up OG and iHart to "fair" deals as soon as free agency starts. iHart knows what he's helped to build here and we were the first team to really give him a chance to thrive playing next to like-minded winners in a city that seems to fit he and his wife to a "T".

With the "Brunson may be willing to sign extension noise", I wonder if that plays with OG and iHart.
OG can opt into his 20m contract for next year and extend off that for an additional 4 years 125m.
If they can get Brunson, OG and iHart to play ball - Knicks would really be set up.

Return to New York Knicks