ImageImageImageImageImage

Upcoming Hartenstein free agency

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Re: Upcoming Hartenstein free agency 

Post#81 » by sol537 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 1:41 am

No one is paying rim running centers more than we can give iHart
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#82 » by aggo » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:02 am

the more I think about it, the more I think we're gonna be in the clear to re-sign him:

1/ you have to dig deep into the frontier of analytics to show iHart's worth
2/ he has never avg'd more than 10pts or 30mpg in a season
3/ in his first opportunity to start he got injured
4/ it is actually insanely risky to offer iHart a deal he cant turn down (20mm aav starting for 4 years) given (2) and (3)
5/ hes just a defensive big that has no offensive bag

the clear value is for us to give him the max we can offer, trade mitch, and green light iHart to start taking 10 shots a game including threes.
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,567

Post#83 » by HopelessKnick » Sat Feb 3, 2024 8:32 am

Thanks for the great discussion guys. Actually feeling more confident about him re-signing in the summer here. Given Mitch's injury history it would be a godsend to have Hartenstein here for the long haul. Mitch really can't be trusted and should not be playing more than 20-22 minutes a game. Hartenstein is perfect for like 26-28 minutes a game. I love really both of them and hope we keep them both longterm.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 707

Post#84 » by Davis18 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 8:42 am

Re-sign IHart then trade Mitch.
No questions asked.
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#85 » by movingon » Sat Feb 3, 2024 9:49 am

Davis18 wrote:Re-sign IHart then trade Mitch.
No questions asked.

The question is not whether we resign IHart, it's whether IHart resigns with us.
If someone throws more than 20 million a year at him, that's a wrap.
Davis18
Senior
And1: 707

Post#86 » by Davis18 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 10:30 am

movingon wrote:
No questions asked.

The question is not whether we resign IHart, it's whether IHart resigns with us.

I don't think he leaves if we trade Mitch.
Deals can be arranged.
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#87 » by movingon » Sat Feb 3, 2024 12:11 pm

Davis18 wrote:
movingon wrote:
No questions asked.

I don't think he leaves if we trade Mitch.
Deals can be arranged.

How so? We can't pay him more than 17 mil / year for the next two years.
He might take a small discount, but if someone throws more than 20 million a year at him, he'd be stupid not to take it.
OKC could use some size up front.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,167

Post#88 » by TrueWarrior » Sat Feb 3, 2024 2:55 pm

So we actually cant offer Isaiah a 1(1)? Early Bird contracts need to be at least 2 years with no option? Thats a big blow to retaining him then. At this point Im kinda expecting him to leave, but whatever happens happens.

Many Knick fans still underrate him though. He’s only 25, has good size/athleticism, is a great teammate with boundless energy, has more potential on offense than hes shown with us, and according to most advanced stats one of the best centers and even players in the league (especially on defense and the boards). This season has shown he can not only start, but thrive as a starter on a good team. The achilles thing hes been dealing with is a concern, but as of now not a big one.

Some teams with cap space could definitely use him. The Magic and Spurs being the big ones, but other teams could create cap space too by trading guys away like we did for Brunson. If they throw him a bag Id be surprised if he comes back. We got a great thing going here, but other teams do too for different reasons and may let him do more on offense if he wants that.

If he leaves, at least we still have Mitch.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,734

Post#89 » by Guano » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:21 pm

spurs just signed Zach Collins to a 2/35 deal

don't know if that will deter them from going after iHart or not. but if iHart signs in the same range it's a lot to pay two C.

either way I think one of iHart or Mitch is gone next year. it's too much money tied up to them.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,469

Post#90 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:46 pm

Guano wrote:spurs just signed Zach Collins to a 2/35 deal

don't know if that will deter them from going after iHart or not. but if iHart signs in the same range it's a lot to pay two C.

either way I think one of iHart or Mitch is gone next year. it's too much money tied up to them.

It's really simple, retain the one that doesn't miss 40% of games.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#91 » by HEZI » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:18 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Hartenstein is also just much better overall
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Guano
RealGM

Post#92 » by Guano » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:51 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

is it though?

you don't think someone else is going to offer him more than we can? seems a lil delusional that he would be willing to leave money on the table to continue to play here.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#93 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:23 pm

Guano wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

is it though?

you don't think someone else is going to offer him more than we can? seems a lil delusional that he would be willing to leave money on the table to continue to play here.

The teams with space have centers, maybe the Jazz might make a run at him after the way Hardy talked about him but who have they ever signed away from another team?

It's simple, move Mitch this summer and then sign Hartenstein. This isn't that complicated anymore, think of this scenario, let's say someone does sign Hartenstein away and we're left with Mitch who then misses the back half of the season going into the playoffs and we're left with Sims as our starting C in the playoffs. Mitch is hurt entirely too often to tie your success to him as your lone center, and it makes no sense to have IHart on a starting salary backing him up.
Guano
RealGM

Post#94 » by Guano » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:26 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Guano wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

is it though?

The teams with space have centers, maybe the Jazz might make a run at him after the way Hardy talked about him but who have they ever signed away from another team?

It's simple, move Mitch this summer and then sign Hartenstein. This isn't that complicated anymore, think of this scenario, lets say someone does sign Hartenstein away and we're left with Mitch who then misses the back half of the season going into the playoffs and we're left with Sims as our starting C in the playoffs.

see i don't buy the leaving money on the table theory but i do believe in the losing your woman theory - and there is no chance in hell his ig model gf is okay with leaving nyc for slc.

i'm completely okay with running a iHart/precious rotation next year and moving mitch to acquire some picks/talent while also adding the additional benefit of upsetting sham.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#95 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:30 pm

Guano wrote:

see i don't buy the leaving money on the table theory but i do believe in the losing your woman theory - and there is no chance in hell his ig model gf is okay with leaving nyc for slc.

i'm completely okay with running a iHart/precious rotation next year and moving mitch to acquire some picks/talent while also adding the additional benefit of upsetting sham.

Although, sham has started cheating on Mitch with Precious.
Guano
RealGM

Post#96 » by Guano » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:36 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Guano wrote:

Although, sham has started cheating on Mitch with Precious.

sham has a thing for mediocre big men

and yet he claims i'm the drumgawd fan - 100% deflection from his own shame.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,090

Post#97 » by Jeffrey » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:37 pm

There's at least 6 teams that will be under the cap. The minute that they give him Poetl or Allen's money... he is signing with them. The more I watch iHart, he has quick hands, durable, hustles and isn't a liability on offense. The more positive he continues.. he is looking to get Allen's money.

I love Mitch but if you want to win a championship... can you really have your starting center continuously miss games every year? Someone told me that, "nah.. Mitch's injury are freak accidents. He's not injury prone". WTF I don't give a sh.it if its one-offs, freak accidents, lady luck... that sh.it takes a toll on your body. Mentally you will lean on another part of your body to over compensate the injury.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

New “Knicks culture” will be put to test this summer 

Post#98 » by Jose7 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:26 am

“Hartenstein is scheduled to make $9.245 million this season, and 175 percent of that amount, the larger of the two Early Bird figures, would be a $16.178 million Year 1 salary.”

To me the first order of business is locking in hartenstein commitment long term.

He’s clearly leaps and bounds better than Mitchell Robinson as an all around player. He can easily command 20m+ on the open market.

Will he take less money to stay or is he gone?
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,219

Re: New “Knicks culture” will be put to test this summer 

Post#99 » by Kampuchea » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:45 am

Jose7