ImageImageImageImageImage

The Knicks Injury Report thread.

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,339

Re: The Knicks Injury Report thread. 

Post#361 » by Hes_On_Fire » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:12 am

At this point it looks like Randle is not going to factor heavily into anything even if he comes back. He’s going to need that shoulder surgery.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,489

Post#362 » by RHODEY » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:51 am

I think Randle probably gets held out until the playoffs...but when he returns I think he'll make a strong impact even if not 100%.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,658

Post#363 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:16 am

With Randle being questionable I'm wishing again the Knicks had traded for a scorer to replace his points, instead of the two depth pieces. Derozan, Kuzma, someone like that. Then when OG and hopefully Mitch return the team would be closer to whole.

But maybe that's short term thinking because I want to see a playoff run now. But the front office is probably wiser in thinking more of next year.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#364 » by knicks94 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:30 am

Wildcat wrote:
knicks94 wrote:I don't think Randle will ever be healthy for a full season throughout the remainder of his contract. I think it is best to trade him the next time he has his 15 game streak of averaging 28 points.

That sounds stupid in context when we're talking about someone whose injuries aren't due to conditioning or what one might consider an injury-prone player. And, I'm not calling Miami dirty, but it's not a coincidence it's the same team that cost him time.

Randle is turning 30 years old, his body is taking a long time to recover and teams like the Heat are going to continue putting him in a situation in which he will get injured. I don’t think for a second that this will be the last time that we’ll see Randle missing games because of this. Don’t forget the fact that he is unproven in the playoffs, is not a game changer and is probably the third best player on his team.

Unless he returns this season and carries the Knicks to the Eastern Conference finals do you really believe that it is a good idea to let him play out the duration of his Knicks contract instead of receiving a quality package in return while his value is high?
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,551

Post#365 » by HopelessKnick » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:41 am

WaltFrazier wrote:With Randle being questionable I'm wishing again the Knicks had traded for a scorer to replace his points, instead of the two depth pieces. Derozan, Kuzma, someone like that. Then when OG and hopefully Mitch return the team would be closer to whole.

But maybe that's short term thinking because I want to see a playoff run now. But the front office is probably wiser in thinking more of next year.

Keep in mind the difficulty here was that the FO had to operate just days after the Randle injury. At that point there was no significant damage visible in the imaging so it may have seemed excessive to trade for another 25 point scorer. Also figure in that mentioned players would have cost multiple assets. If say Randle returned after 4 weeks or so then you'd have 3 non-defending scorers in your line-up, creating an imbalance. There is the possibility that if the FO knew Randle could potentially miss the entire season they would have made a move in your suggested direction.

There is also the point that Bojan so far has not played up to his potential----if he finds his rhythm he can be a very nice offensive peace. I'm almost leaning towards giving him a shot with the starting line-up to see if he gels better there. With Hart or Mitch and OG and Donte we'd have 3 good defenders next to Brunson and Bojan so it should potentially work out. Then you still have Josh, Deuce, Burks, Precious and Mitch off the bench. Let Bojan play a little off of Brunson and get him into a rhythm. It may also alleviate some of the pressure which defenses have recently put on Brunson. Just an idea.
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,551

Post#366 » by HopelessKnick » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:45 am

RHODEY wrote:I think Randle probably gets held out until the playoffs...but when he returns I think he'll make a strong impact even if not 100%.

Randle never striked me as a guy that gets into his rhythm quickly....so I'm sceptical of throwing him right in there. If the earliest he can return is at the start of the playoffs I'd prefer him getting the surgery and returning next season. Keep in mind that JR is under tremendous pressure by the fanbase and media to play good in the playoffs---if he isn't right physically and from his mindset it may not serve him well to experiment there. If he can't play in the final 7-8 I would rather have him get back next season.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,071

Post#367 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:13 pm

Whenever Julius can get back, you take him. It makes no sense to just let him sit out the year if he can give it a go.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,658

Post#368 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:30 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:With Randle being questionable I'm wishing again the Knicks had traded for a scorer to replace his points, instead of the two depth pieces. Derozan, Kuzma, someone like that. Then when OG and hopefully Mitch return the team would be closer to whole.

Keep in mind the difficulty here was that the FO had to operate just days after the Randle injury. At that point there was no significant damage visible in the imaging so it may have seemed excessive to trade for another 25 point scorer. Also figure in that mentioned players would have cost multiple assets. If say Randle returned after 4 weeks or so then you'd have 3 non-defending scorers in your line-up, creating an imbalance. There is the possibility that if the FO knew Randle could potentially miss the entire season they would have made a move in your suggested direction.

There is also the point that Bojan so far has not played up to his potential----if he finds his rhythm he can be a very nice offensive peace. I'm almost leaning towards giving him a shot with the starting line-up to see if he gels better there. With Hart or Mitch and OG and Donte we'd have 3 good defenders next to Brunson and Bojan so it should potentially work out. Then you still have Josh, Deuce, Burks, Precious and Mitch off the bench. Let Bojan play a little off of Brunson and get him into a rhythm. It may also alleviate some of the pressure which defenses have recently put on Brunson. Just an idea.

Yeah I get all those points, well said. I think also the FO didn't want to make too expensive a move at the deadline that might limit a bigger move this summer.

I could see starting Bojan as well. When OG returns. Let Bojan act as Randle's replacement in the SL. But if you keep Hartenstein starting it means either Donte or Hart comes off the bench.

One of the exciting thoughts about getting everyone healthy is not only a bigger more formidable SL, but also a bench mob of Mitch, Precious, Deuce and Donte or Hart that would do damage. What a deep team.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#369 » by RHODEY » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:47 pm

HopelessKnick wrote:
RHODEY wrote:I think Randle probably gets held out until the playoffs...but when he returns I think he'll make a strong impact even if not 100%.

Randle never striked me as a guy that gets into his rhythm quickly....so I'm sceptical of throwing him right in there. If the earliest he can return is at the start of the playoffs I'd prefer him getting the surgery and returning next season. Keep in mind that JR is under tremendous pressure by the fanbase and media to play good in the playoffs---if he isn't right physically and from his mindset it may not serve him well to experiment there. If he can't play in the final 7-8 I would rather have him get back next season.

That's fair. But even as a decoy and facilitator I think he helps us immensely. I would like to see how it plays out on the court.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,403

Post#370 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:17 pm

GONYK wrote:Whenever Julius can get back, you take him. It makes no sense to just let him sit out the year if he can give it a go.

He's going to wind up being a no go and then getting surgery.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,094

Post#371 » by stuporman » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:45 pm

The Knicks did trade for a 20ppg scorer without giving up 1st rounders that it would have cost for most players who can score that much...the problem is that it was fool's gold since it was a losing team scorer and hasn't translated to being able to score in a winning situation.

Fans complained about the idea of giving up draft assets for a guy who will probably be pushed out of the rotation once everyone's healthy but as long as the Knicks aren't fully healthy they complain about not making the trade. Except they made a trade and the players brought in have been terrible.

If the FO had made a trade for a different scorer that cost them draft assets that player probably wouldn't have changed the ceiling of the team this season very much anyway. Then in the future when the Knicks don't have the assets for the 'star' because of that trade those fans would have complained then, too.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#372 » by knicks94 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:15 pm

I'll admit I was jumping for joy when the Knicks traded for Bogdnavic. I really believed that he was the missing piece to an already stacked championship caliber team. But never did I think that he would be Elfrid Payton/Chris Duhon level of atrocious. I know we were short handed at the time, but watching him and Burks on the court during the month of February and early March reminded me of the days in which a washed up Steve Francis and Jalen Rose were patrolling the back court.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,071

Post#373 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:15 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
GONYK wrote:Whenever Julius can get back, you take him. It makes no sense to just let him sit out the year if he can give it a go.

He's going to wind up being a no go and then getting surgery.

That would go against the reported internal expectations.

That being said, if that is the decision he makes, so be it. But there is no reason for anyone other than him to make that decision.

Contention windows are short and fleeting. Our team, when everyone can hit the floor, has as good of a shot as we've had in 20 years. There's no guarantee that our top 8 players will all be together again next season.

If there is a chance Julius can go, we should exhaust that possibility 150%.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,403

Post#374 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:23 pm

Knicks need to start gooning out vs Miami so those f*cks can have a 20 page injury thread too.

Assign Sims the job of clotheslining Heat players. It's ok if he's fined. He's overpaid anyway
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,533

Post#375 » by Wildcat » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:04 pm

knicks94 wrote:Randle is turning 30 years old, his body is taking a long time to recover and teams like the Heat are going to continue putting him in a situation in which he will get injured. I don’t think for a second that this will be the last time that we’ll see Randle missing games because of this. Don’t forget the fact that he is unproven in the playoffs, is not a game changer and is probably the third best player on his team.

Unless he returns this season and carries the Knicks to the Eastern Conference finals do you really believe that it is a good idea to let him play out the duration of his Knicks contract instead of receiving a quality package in return while his value is high?

Randle is turning 30 in November. You're not stepping off the cliff at 30.

You know who also has a few awful playoffs under his belt? KAT. Outside his breakout season, Siakam isn't great in the playoffs, either. I am not going to hold it over Randle's head that in his 1st playoff appearance ever, on the brightest stage, he couldn't carry a team of Bullock, Gibson, RJ, and Rose to the promise land. Then he proceeded to play hurt in his 2nd appearance. I find that asinine that we -- the supposedly smartest NBA fanbase in American -- can't understand that context.

Whose -- available -- is going to give this team 24/9/5 with his contract? And I wanted to trade him this offseason. But the Randle the Knicks had last season, compared this Randle, means something. There was obviously a top dog mentality with Julius last season that has disappeared this season. That Randle I didn't like. This guy? Yeah, he has my support.

You don't like him. That's fine, I get it, that's your opinion, but don't try to rationalize it with ESPN hot takes like "unproven playoff success", not a "gamer changer". The whole fact that teams double and triple teamed him is the literal definition of a game changer.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,339

Post#376 » by Hes_On_Fire » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:16 pm

Wildcat wrote:
knicks94 wrote:Randle is turning 30 years old, his body is taking a long time to recover and teams like the Heat are going to continue putting him in a situation in which he will get injured. I don’t think for a second that this will be the last time that we’ll see Randle missing games because of this. Don’t forget the fact that he is unproven in the playoffs, is not a game changer and is probably the third best player on his team.

You know who also has a few awful playoffs under his belt? KAT. Outside his breakout season, Siakam isn't great in the playoffs, either. I am not going to hold it over Randle's head that in his 1st playoff appearance ever, on the brightest stage, he couldn't carry a team of Bullock, Gibson, RJ, and Rose to the promise land. Then he proceeded to play hurt in his 2nd appearance. I find that asinine that we -- the supposedly smartest NBA fanbase in American -- can't understand that context.

Whose -- available -- is going to give this team 24/9/5 with his contract? And I wanted to trade him this offseason. But the Randle the Knicks had last season, compared this Randle, means something. There was obviously a top dog mentality with Julius last season that has disappeared this season. That Randle I didn't like. This guy? Yeah, he has my support.

You don't like him. That's fine, I get it, that's your opinion, but don't try to rationalize it with ESPN hot takes like "unproven playoff success", not a "gamer changer". The whole fact that teams double and triple teamed him is the literal definition of a game changer.

Randle is going to want max money soon and with the way the cap is structured we can’t waste funds on him as a second option.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,533

Post#377 » by Wildcat » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:22 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

Randle is going to want max money soon and with the way the cap is structured we can’t waste funds on him as a second option.

Who you giving it to? KAT? Joel? Siakam? Or are we back on the Zion train? The Knicks ain't giving him 50 per.
The Vo Show
Pro Prospect
And1: 732

Post#378 » by The Vo Show » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:34 pm

Its hard to find an upgrade to Randle. With all his flaws, he's still a top 25 - 30 player in this league. Who can we really bring in to replace him? Lauri Markkennen is the only guy who maybe fits our team better. KAT maybe? Don't believe in the fit with KAT but could be wrong there.

The other option is to move OG to the 4 and get another scoring wing who defends like PG (but someone younger maybe?). Not too many avenues left to upgrade realistically. With the new cap, its not like we can go out and get 3 all-stars or else the bench is filled with g-leaguers. I think the Knicks are built smart and at the end of the day, Randle probably is our best option going forward.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,403

Post#379 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:06 pm

I don't have any expectations on Randle playing, he may not have dislocated his shooting arm but his playstyle requires him to be physical and that right shoulder is going to take a lot of hits and could pop back out. Dwyane Wade dislocated his left shoulder in 07, missed almost two months, came back for the playoffs and wasn't the same. He still needed to get surgery on the shoulder during the offseason, and Randle is much more physical and reliant on his physicality than Wade was.

If he decides to just get the surgery now I wouldn't even blame him.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#380 » by RHODEY » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:17 pm

Return to New York Knicks