ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Continued... more still

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,833

Re: Around the NBA - Continued... more still 

Post#1021 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:31 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

LeBron addresses something that I feel is so underrated in terms of evaluating players, especially guys with scoring chops: How good are they at making reads?

I used to have this debate on the other board, the reason i never liked Cam Thomas' game is because dude can't make the correct reads to save his life. People get caught up in someone who can get buckets 1 v 1 but if they don't know what to do when they start drawing gravity they can hurt a team more than help it regardless of how good they are at scoring.

Like, Isaiah Hartenstein's biggest strength offensively to me is his ability to read the floor from the center position. It's what makes him a better fit in the starting unit than Mitch (who i think is a solid player). Those 2 to 4 assists and hockey dimes add up quickly

Can LeBron read good tho?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,914

Post#1022 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:40 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

LeBron addresses something that I feel is so underrated in terms of evaluating players, especially guys with scoring chops: How good are they at making reads?

I used to have this debate on the other board, the reason i never liked Cam Thomas' game is because dude can't make the correct reads to save his life. People get caught up in someone who can get buckets 1 v 1 but if they don't know what to do when they start drawing gravity they can hurt a team more than help it regardless of how good they are at scoring.

Like, Isaiah Hartenstein's biggest strength offensively to me is his ability to read the floor from the center position. It's what makes him a better fit in the starting unit than Mitch (who i think is a solid player). Those 2 to 4 assists and hockey dimes add up quickly

Can LeBron read good tho?

I believe that LeBron is literate.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1023 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:49 pm

LeBron and JJ discuss how difficult it is to defend the inverted pick and role (the 1 screens for the 5, which opens up multiple options for the ball handler).

I can watch this podcast with LeBron and Reddick all day. This is good, hardcore basketball talk. No sensationalism or guys looking to make sound bytes to go viral, just two guys, one of whom is an absolute master of the sport, talking about their craft.

This really puts it into perspective how dangerous it is for a team to switch assignments when playing against Joker when he is on the ball.

You're literally f*cked no matter what

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,211

Post#1024 » by Capn'O » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:50 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

LeBron and JJ discuss how difficult it is to defend the inverted pick and role (the 1 screens for the 5, which opens up multiple options for the ball handler).

I can watch this podcast with LeBron and Reddick all day. This is good, hardcore basketball talk. No sensationalism or guys looking to make sound bytes to go viral, just two guys, one of whom is an absolute master of the sport, talking about their craft.

This really puts it into perspective how dangerous it is for a team to switch assignments when playing against Joker when he is on the ball.

Love this.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,316

Post#1025 » by DOT » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

It's wild to listen to this and go hear people saying "nobody plays defense anymore"

Cause like, when you listen to guys who actually play break down what's going on in a format which allows them more than 5 seconds to talk, you realize just how complex modern defense is, and the inverse is true as well, modern offense is just as if not more complex

It's like how you can go find some ex-NFL QBs on YouTube taking 5 minutes to break down a single play meanwhile on TV they only show a play once or twice in studio segments and the guys are rushing to say everything they can in the limited time they have.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1026 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:19 pm

DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

It's wild to listen to this and go hear people saying "nobody plays defense anymore"

Cause like, when you listen to guys who actually play break down what's going on in a format which allows them more than 5 seconds to talk, you realize just how complex modern defense is, and the inverse is true as well, modern offense is just as if not more complex

It's like how you can go find some ex-NFL QBs on YouTube taking 5 minutes to break down a single play meanwhile on TV they only show a play once or twice in studio segments and the guys are rushing to say everything they can in the limited time they have.

Right. And I'm a hoops fan that loves the nuances to the game but hearing LeBron break it down is mind blowing how complex defense is at that level and how seriously high his basketball IQ is to process all of this stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, Kobe had something similar to this before he passed where he was breaking down stuff like this and it was fascinating to listen to.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#1027 » by Capn'O » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:23 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Right. And I'm a hoops fan that loves the nuances to the game but hearing LeBron break it down is mind blowing how complex defense is at that level and high seriously high how basketball IQ is to process all of this stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, Kobe had something similar to this before he passed where he was breaking down stuff like this and it was fascinating to listen to.

Precisely why I posted his last tweet.
BAF Clippers

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1028 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:25 pm

Capn'O wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Love this.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I hope that he keeps doing this even after he retires, and they bring in players from different eras to discuss stuff. This is exactly what the discourse surrounding the sport needs. No BS, no yelling, just pure basketball.

I would kill to hear Joker come on to discuss exactly what he sees during offensive sets and how he goes about making his decisions.

Also, this is a direct rebuke of ESPN's version of yellow journalism

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1029 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:29 pm

Capn'O wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DOT wrote:It's wild to listen to this and go hear people saying "nobody plays defense anymore"

Right. And I'm a hoops fan that loves the nuances to the game but hearing LeBron break it down is mind blowing how complex defense is at that level and high seriously high how basketball IQ is to process all of this stuff.

You read my mind!

Damn. I can only imagine if Kobe was still around man and the kind of conversations that would take place, because he'd be all over this stuff.

It would be dope to get some coaches to come on as well. Would love to hear guys like Thibs' break down his philosophies on both ends of the floor.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#1030 » by Capn'O » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:35 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You read my mind!

Damn. I can only imagine if Kobe was still around man and the kind of conversations that would take place, because he'd be all over this stuff.

It would be dope to get some coaches to come on as well. Would love to hear guys like Thibs' break down his philosophies on both ends of the floor.

I wasn't a huge Kobe fan for most of his career but his transformation from an arrogant young kid to Girl Dad and a wise sage of basketball knowledge was lovely to watch. It's really cool to see LeBron carrying that torch.
BAF Clippers

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1031 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:38 pm

Capn'O wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

You read my mind!

I wasn't a huge Kobe fan for most of his career but his transformation from an arrogant young kid to Girl Dad and a wise sage of basketball knowledge was lovely to watch. It's really cool to see LeBron carrying that torch.

Yeah same. I never really was a fan of Kobe, i always found him too cocky, until i guess the post Shaq part of his career where i really started to appreciate how good the dude was and just enjoyed seeing him play against certain players (Pierce, McGrady mainly). When he started to evolve into as you said, a wise sage of the game, i was really excited to see what he was going to do post career. I'm glad LeBron is keeping his spirit alive with this, whether it was intentional or not.

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,936

Post#1032 » by F N 11 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 am

lol

Read on Twitter
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,562

Post#1033 » by Guano » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

:lol:
Knife handing "you're a btch" to ever ref had to feel so damn good.
Read on Twitter
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,658

Post#1034 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

F N 11 wrote:lol

Read on Twitter

I saw the score earlier but only saw highlights a few minutes ago. Draymond was ejected with the score 6-6 and Curry looked really mad about it, scowling and kicked a chair in the bench area
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,774

Post#1035 » by aggo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

Guano wrote::lol:
Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter
?s=20
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1036 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

aggo wrote:
Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Fines coming for Oubre and Nurse?

The last two minutes report will be interesting
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,562

Post#1037 » by Guano » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
aggo wrote:
Read on Twitter
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sometimes the crime is worth the fine.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1038 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

Guano wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
aggo wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sometimes the crime is worth the fine.

I saw a video in the locker room after where Oubre apologized for losing his cool. Trying to soften the fine maybe
Ma10
Senior
And1: 516

Post#1039 » by Ma10 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

https://hoopshype.com/lists/best-signature-model-basketball-sneakers-for-2024/

I have to admid that I didn't pay much attention to sneakers these days but I never realized how many guys have signature shoes with chinese brands I never heard of. Did anyone of you ever bought or played in Lining, Peak or Anta sneakers?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,572

Post#1040 » by Fat Kat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®

Return to New York Knicks