ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Deuce McBrunson School Curry's Kids

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,187

Re: PG: Deuce McBrunson School Curry's Kids 

Post#341 » by moocow007 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:17 pm

sol537 wrote:The Bogs + Burks trade gives me some pause but nearly everything else the NYK brain trust has done since Rose has taken over has been tremendous for us and turned us into a contender (when healthy). Incredible. Rose can keep the keys for the next 5-10 years as far as I'm concerned.

I'm hoping that they didn't go with some other options (Derozan, Clarkson, etc.) cause those teams just wasn't willing to trade them (either to the Knicks or in general) without a crazy package.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,311

Post#342 » by sol537 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:22 pm

moocow007 wrote:
sol537 wrote:The Bogs + Burks trade gives me some pause but nearly everything else the NYK brain trust has done since Rose has taken over has been tremendous for us and turned us into a contender (when healthy). Incredible. Rose can keep the keys for the next 5-10 years as far as I'm concerned.

I'm hoping that they didn't go with some other options (Derozan, Clarkson, etc.) cause those teams just wasn't willing to trade them (either to the Knicks or in general) without a crazy package.

I imagine that’s the case… Ainge and delusional Bulls on the other end.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,600

Post#343 » by j4remi » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:26 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
no but they specifically targeted Walt Perrin to run the draft...and when he was in Utah he had a pretty good draft record in terms of figuring out tough players that would thrive in playing in Utah (because that is a different animal then NY) but I think the same principles can apply. Trying to find players that wont be distracted and live and breath basketball....

Then the addition of Rosas has tightened our trade and FA targets. Aller keeps the numbers aligned.

It's a good group.

it is...there are a lot of cooks in the kitchen but they seem to be working well together.

I think that makes for a ringing endorsement of Rose tbh. How many times have we seen FO politics where different factions undermine each other and nothing looks coherent? From Layden cleaning house to every FO that involved Steve Mills to whatever the hell was going on with Phil Jackson, it's never been this simpatico (PJax's word).

This time around, everyone has their role and seems to be comfortable with it. The FO has a personality type they like, blue-collar guys that put their heads down and work hard.

Thibs has player types that fit his system. Quick decision-makers with high IQs find minutes pretty much regardless of their skillset.

Aller's contract designs are as good as advertised with declining values, option years, and other tricks to maintain flexibility.

And Wes is probably doing all the insider stuff that I typically hate. But if that's what kept OG's value down for everyone but NY, then so be it.

Hell, it's even impressive to me that Johnnie Bryant hasn't been poached.

Everyone plays their roles, and Leon Rose is somewhere declining press appearances while he rubber stamps the next move that lands us a 2027 second-round pick that seems worthless right up until it doesn't (like that Detroit second-rounder). If we're crediting an architect, it's Leon Rose. But the real answer is "all the above" because so many people have their lanes and fulfill their roles exceedingly well.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 8,094

Post#344 » by Knick4Real » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:29 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:What does worldwide Wes actually do?

Tamper via back channels
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,799

Post#345 » by omerome » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:37 pm

IMO, the Bogs + Burks trade was them just rolling the dice to see if those guys could minimize the depth issues we've had with our injuries and if that doesn't work, their salaries will be used creatively to resign the guys we want, and trade away the ones who can give us assets in the future.

It sucks that it took Grimes to do so, but teams aren't knocking on our doors to help like we're the Lakers or something. So we had to give to get.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,479

Post#346 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:38 pm

we do seem similar to the 2011 bulls

rose - brunson
deng - og
boozer- randle
taj- precious
omer asik- mitch (hi sham)
korver- bojan

it gets tricky after that
keith bogans - deuce i guess. deuce is a bit more skilled but both dogs on defense
ronnie brewer - josh hart. this one doesnt make much sense but ill give this one to hart when he refuses to shoot 3s
cj watson- burks the bigger version of him. trash
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,790

Post#347 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:44 pm

aromeoj wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Since Thibs is a mediocre loser who elevates nothing and his ability to f*ck up as a front office executive is well documented from his time in Minnesota, and Leon Rose is a pastrami eating clown who leaves basketball decisions to others, who is the architect of of the current Knick team, whose vision are we seeing in system\player acquisition?

Because the Knicks certainly have "types" when it comes to role players.

I get that because Brunson is so good, he's elevating the role players, and Brunson has ties to both Leon and Thibs, and it's possible that him being on the team and making it so good is a combination of scouting, type, and possibly luck revolving around CAA ties etc.

But deciding to add the Villanova cats, with their tenacity and commitment to winning above stats etc, adding a tough passing center in iHart who is an excellent fit with them, dealing out real young talent in RJ and IQ for a perfectly fitting piece in OG, keeping McBride over Grimes, the theoretical benefit of Bogs being added, all this is someone's vision.

Aller is supposed to the capologist, the money guy, the valuation guy. That's in support of the vision.

Perrin is supposed to be the college scouting guru. Is he providing input on the pro level? Is he the main driver of which players are acquired?

Zanin, occasionally maligned on here, is pro player scouting. Is this his work?

Is it Rosas? We know he advocated for iHart. Strong pimp hand for a consultant if this is all him.

Is it Thibs, with the main vision, as the executives in the front office dance for this puppet master?
Excellent work for Mr Mediocrity, so called.

Or is it all the result of a committee? Seems unlikely based on anyone's experience working on committees

STATE YOUR CASE. SOMEONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.

Wrote an essay to make you happy since you had to go ALL CAPS!!! LOL

In the complex and highly competitive world of NBA basketball, attributing a team's success to a single individual oversimplifies the intricate dynamics at play. The New York Knicks' resurgence is a prime example of a multifaceted achievement, built on the collective efforts of players, coaching staff, and front office executives. It's essential to recognize that in such a team-oriented sport, success is rarely the product of one person's vision or effort.

First and foremost, the players on the court, including stars and role players alike, are the ones executing strategies and making the plays that lead to wins. Jalen Brunson's outstanding performances certainly elevate the team, but his success, and by extension the team's, hinges on the synergy with his teammates, including the tenacity of the Villanova alumni and the strategic fit of players like iHart and OG. This chemistry doesn't happen by accident; it's cultivated through careful player selection and development. Also players are learning how to play this way for the first time and it is contagious.

The coaching staff, led by Tom Thibodeau, plays a pivotal role in developing game plans, fostering player development, and creating an environment where players can thrive. While opinions on Thibodeau's coaching style may vary, the improvement in team performance and player development under his tenure is tangible. Coaches extract the best out of their rosters, adapting strategies to maximize each player's strengths and mitigate weaknesses. Thibs does a great job of finding people like Duece who fit his architect of a player.

Behind the scenes, the front office, including Leon Rose and others, work on assembling a team that fits a coherent vision. This involves scouting, drafting, trades, and managing contracts—a complex puzzle requiring insight, foresight, and a bit of luck. The acquisitions of key players and the decision to prioritize certain attributes in players reflect a strategic approach to team building. Brock Aller's financial acumen and Walt Perrin's scouting expertise, along with contributions from others like Gersson Rosas, underline the collective effort involved in shaping the roster.

Furthermore, the success of any NBA team is also supported by an extensive team of analysts, trainers, scouts, and support staff, each contributing in their own unique ways to the team's achievements.

In summary, while it's tempting to search for a singular architect behind the Knicks' success, the reality is far more complex. It's the result of strategic planning, collaborative effort, and the shared vision of many individuals within the organization. Recognizing the contributions of each member, from the front office to the bench, offers a more nuanced and accurate picture of how success is built in the NBA.

This is not done by accident but through a clear strategic plan and vision which the New York Knickerbockers have done.

tl/dr

Spoiler:
Just kidding
sol537
RealGM

Post#348 » by sol537 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:45 pm

omerome wrote:

IMO, the Bogs + Burks trade was them just rolling the dice to see if those guys could minimize the depth issues we've had with our injuries and if that doesn't work, their salaries will be used creatively to resign the guys we want, and trade away the ones who can give us assets in the future.

It sucks that it took Grimes to do so, but teams aren't knocking on our doors to help like we're the Lakers or something. So we had to give to get.

I get all that but outside of maybe 2 quarters, it's been a disaster on the court.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 39,256

Post#349 » by KnicksGod » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:50 pm

Hartenstein is so good

If he just keeps doing what he’s doing and stays healthy, he is major

He was the guy who dominated the game
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 120,479

Post#350 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Hartenstein is so good

hes going to be a great starter for the next 5 years for us!
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,669

Post#351 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 pm

Leon Rose's FO has made enough sound key basketball decisions that their bad ones (e.g., drafting Obi, trading for Scam, couple more) didn't sink their chances of building a contender.

A franchise's fortunes can turn with just a couple great moves, and they don't necessarily have to involve draft position.
sol537
RealGM

Post#352 » by sol537 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:57 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Hartenstein is so good

Hopefully we sign OG and iHart to extensions.

Then we retain Precious on the cheap or use him in a S&T.

I think Mitch + McBride + Bogs may be the centerpieces to a blockbuster trade which includes plenty of picks. (Mikal? Spida? Booker?)
omerome
RealGM

Post#353 » by omerome » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:59 pm

sol537 wrote:
omerome wrote:

I get all that but outside of maybe 2 quarters, it's been a disaster on the court.

Yeah, it has been a disaster on the court, and it's why their minutes have disappeared each game. But I blame Grimes. I stand by that something must have happened behind the scenes that soured the coaching staff or management to want to give up on him - and for a package like we got back.

I mean, we have heard him making statements about not getting enough shots a game before, and instead, he has been passive offensively. We're not here to hold a player's hand. If they want something, they have to go and take it. Duece for example, now has the opportunity, and look at how he's taken control of his destiny.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,940

Post#354 » by nykballa2k4 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:14 pm

Gotta love Deuce playing the 2 and shooting the 3. Impressive. Might need to let him and Hart have a day off in Denver. Altitude is a monster.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 17,853

Post#355 » by Im Coming Home » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:25 pm

The guy from Awful Coaching loves us lol.

Makes those who think Hart isn't a great defender, only 'good' look like fools. Man is EVERYWHERE.

RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
sol537
RealGM

Post#356 » by sol537 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:32 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:The guy from Awful Coaching loves us lol.

Makes those who think Hart isn't a great defender, only 'good' look like fools. Man is EVERYWHERE.

Grimes was a better overall defender than Hart or McBride but the latter two are nearly as good and they provide so much more in other ways that it mitigates the loss of Grimes. I see why they traded Grimes now... though they may have brought back the wrong guys. If Bogs can rehab his value and just be a 3pt sniper (like Duncan Robinson) maybe we salvage the trade and welcome his help in the playoffs... As it is right now, he's being asked to create which is not something he can do any longer.
omerome
RealGM

Post#357 » by omerome » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:32 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:The guy from Awful Coaching loves us lol.

The "Who cares about Draymond Green for 3" had me in tears :lol:
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#358 » by KnicksGod » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:39 pm

The guy's videos are interesting. Thibs basically builds a wall and narrows the spaces as much as possible. Someone who has gamed the lifting of man to man defense as much as possible.

It's smart.

I'm glad I never gave up on Thibs other than asking for him to be fired right away (in GTs and PGTs though).

Thibs' best move was reversing himself and not taking Deuce out of the rotation for Burks. I said it.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,434

Post#359 » by stuporman » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:56 pm

Deuce has the winning mindset, Grimes didn't display it as often, could he have grown into it more? Sure, but it isn't guaranteed. I just don't like that him as an asset was used for questionable ends.

If Bogs contract is crucial in securing a 'star' and that player helps the team get to the finals then it will be worth it but it still just might be a part of a sideways move that takes years to play out.

Time will tell...

iHart has gotten better at defending the pick and roll in his time with the Knicks, I don't know if that was something he did before he got to NY and his injury early on slowed him but he definitely has played better in the P&R this season compared to last season.

This is an important skill in the Knicks team defensive scheme.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#360 » by KnicksGod » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:47 pm

Now the Knicks need to not make the same mistake the Mavs did and break up a dominant PG tandem with Brunson and Deuce :)

Return to New York Knicks