ImageImageImageImageImage

[The Athletic] NBA Players are wrong about Thibs

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

[The Athletic] NBA Players are wrong about Thibs 

Post#1 » by GONYK » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:38 pm

The Ahtletic has an article about why Thibs' reputation around the league is wrong and our players lay out why they love playing for him

Last April, as the playoffs approached and the New York Knicks were well on their way to the franchise’s best season in a decade, The Athletic published an anonymous player poll in which their coach, Tom Thibodeau, was the leading vote-getter in a most unflattering category: The coach whom players would least like to play for.

It wasn’t even close, either, with Thibodeau receiving 43.6 percent of the votes and then-Houston Rockets coach Stephen Silas a distant second at 14.5 percent. Add in the fact Thibodeau had become a two-time winner of this unwelcome award, having also taken the (dis)honor when this poll was last published in 2019, and it’s safe to say his reputation as an old-school leader in these new-age times was alive and well.

“That poll, for me — and excuse my language — but it doesn’t mean s—,” DiVincenzo, who played for Golden State last season and signed a four-year, $50 million deal with New York last summer, told The Athletic after the Knicks’ win over the Warriors on Monday night. “I’ve seen the poll, but I signed here.”

His ringing endorsement continued from there.

“I don’t care (about Thibodeau’s reputation),” DiVincenzo continued. “I don’t care. Guys in the NBA now (are different) than before. Everybody wants the game all offense. Nobody wants to come in and practice. But me, being my first year here, I think he’s done a great job of balancing things.

“From the outside world, there’s always (a different view). But in our house — in-house — we have a good dynamic and we enjoy it and everybody enjoys being around each other. To the outside world, you don’t really know. All you know is perception. All you know is the history from other teams (Thibodeau has coached) and his years with different organizations. But we’ve had plenty of rest days, plenty of off days.”

And rumor has it, I shared with DiVincenzo, that Thibodeau practices aren’t nearly as hard as advertised these days.

“They’re not,” DiVincenzo confirmed. “I played for (the Warriors’ Steve) Kerr and played for Coach Bud (former Bucks coach Mike Budenholzer). It’s not like you come here and all of a sudden you’re just running track every day (in practice). I think what he does by far better than anybody I’ve been around is he’s the most prepared. So it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to go for two hours on your feet and running. But when you’re in there, you’re gonna lock in and you’re gonna get the stuff done and we’re gonna get out of there.”

As is the case with any coach whose contract situation is in question, the outcome of the postseason will surely matter when it comes to what comes next. His current deal runs through the 2024-25 season, but league sources say he hopes to secure his future with the Knicks when both sides plan to revisit the topic this summer. At this rate, the Knicks might wind up hoping they’d decided to get something done with Thibodeau before the recent explosion of coaching salaries.

For those who might have missed the economic boom on this front, take a look at this list of recent deals that have drastically changed the market:

Monty Williams signs a six-year, $78.5 million deal with Detroit in May.
Gregg Popovich signs a five-year extension reportedly worth more than $80 million with San Antonio in July.
Erik Spoelstra signs an eight-year extension worth more than $100 million with Miami in January.
Doc Rivers signs a deal with Milwaukee in January that runs through the 2026-27 season and is worth approximately $40 million combined.
Steve Kerr signs a two-year, $35 million extension with Golden State in February.
League sources say Thibodeau, by comparison, makes an annual salary in the neighborhood of $7 million. All signs point to a well-deserved raise likely coming his way.

In the here and now, though, Thibodeau’s focus is on these Knicks fighting through all this adversity and raising as much hoops hell as they can when it matters most. And the coach so many players would least like to play for, it seems, has total buy-in from the ones who couldn’t be happier that he’s their coach.

“I think confidence comes from demonstrated ability, like the fact that we’ve won with players being out (means) there’s a belief that we can do it. If we stay disciplined and do the things that we should do, we’ll have a chance to win.”
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,064

Re: [The Athletic] NBA Players are wrong about Thibs 

Post#2 » by DaGawd » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:42 pm

nice to see thibs finally getting his flowers
BaF
Washington Wizards
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#3 » by ctorres » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:53 pm

Coaching salaries don't go against the cap, so it's a matter of Dolan's ego and how much he is willing to pay Thibs.

I think a 4 year, $50 million contract would be fair. Thibs would coach until age 70. During the 4 years, he should groom his successor.

Monty Williams is overpaid, but he has an NBA Finals appearance on his resume.

Thibs has a single ECF appearance as a head coach. However, his resume is massive when considering his career as an assistant, including a championship ring with the Celtics in '08. As a head coach, taking 3 different franchises to the playoffs is an accomplishment as well, especially when 2 of them are the Timberwolves and the Knicks.

So maybe 4 years, $60 million would be a slight overpay, but I wouldn't be mad about it if he takes this team to the Semis.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:19 pm

This team is full of hard working players that compete hard on both ends and don't take nights off. It's no secret why the Knicks players love Thibs while other players around the league don't. Half these dudes don't give a sh*t about winning or losing, competing, preparing, or buying in to a team and the community that pays their salary.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#5 » by sol537 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:54 pm

ctorres wrote:Coaching salaries don't go against the cap, so it's a matter of Dolan's ego and how much he is willing to pay Thibs.

I think a 4 year, $50 million contract would be fair. Thibs would coach until age 70. During the 4 years, he should groom his successor.

Monty Williams is overpaid, but he has an NBA Finals appearance on his resume.

Thibs has a single ECF appearance as a head coach. However, his resume is massive when considering his career as an assistant, including a championship ring with the Celtics in '08. As a head coach, taking 3 different franchises to the playoffs is an accomplishment as well, especially when 2 of them are the Timberwolves and the Knicks.

So maybe 4 years, $60 million would be a slight overpay, but I wouldn't be mad about it if he takes this team to the Semis.

3 years, $32m is the best I'd do. A nice raise and a nice period of time.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,393

Post#6 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Thibs is a very bad man
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,203

Post#7 » by Capn'O » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:09 pm

Were there quotes from players other than Donte :lol:

The players - especially the Villanova group - obviously buy in but that stuck out to me.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,562

Post#8 » by Fat Kat » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:29 pm

The punkazzbiatches don’t fit in here. No soyboys allowed. Hard-nosed players love Thibs. Bottomline
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#9 » by 2010 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:01 pm

Capn'O wrote:Were there quotes from players other than Donte :lol:

The players - especially the Villanova group - obviously buy in but that stuck out to me.

They should interview sCam Reddish, Grimes, and Fournier.

:lol:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,447

Post#10 » by robillionaire » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:38 am

Donte finally said enough is enough and put Thibs critics in their place, telling them they aren’t in house so they don’t know what they’re talking about and to stfu. Very cool Donte! Article says the well-deserved contract extension is likely this summer. Protect this gem of a coach at all costs
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#11 » by HighRyzer83 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:15 am

Thibs is great when we're winning. If we were losing it would be the opposite. And that's how it should be
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,338

Post#12 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:23 am

MrDollarBills wrote:This team is full of hard working players that compete hard on both ends and don't take nights off. It's no secret why the Knicks players love Thibs while other players around the league don't. Half these dudes don't give a sh*t about winning or losing, competing, preparing, or buying in to a team and the community that pays their salary.

We've reconstructed the roster to include players who are hard workers and free of diva attitudes. Thibs imprint on the franchise has taken hold and it means we won't attract self-absorbed wussies to play in New York. This is a great thing.
ImageImageImage
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#13 » by Kampuchea » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:24 am

2010 wrote:

Obi
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,220

Post#14 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:26 am

I think the big question, though, is how the big stars will take it, especially because we know this is Rose’s end game. This is a weakness of Thibs, for good or worse. Some coaches, like Doc, are just able to play politics way better and get opportunities.

The trend in the NBA right now is that stars get a lot of power - Lebron, KD, etc. Those guys fire coaches for any reason. Basically, what the Knicks are looking for is their own version of Duncan, someone who can get coached hard by Thibs and leads by example. They have a dude like that in Brunson but very hard to find those guys in FA…can only think of a few today.

I wish this article also spoke about some of Thibs’ recent decisions. He’s made some creative lineups. Hell, I gotta give credit to him and the FO for even using offensive rebounds last season to make us a top offensive team.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#15 » by Kampuchea » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:27 am

robillionaire wrote:Donte finally said enough is enough and put Thibs critics in their place, telling them they aren’t in house so they don’t know what they’re talking about and to stfu. Very cool Donte! Article says the well-deserved contract extension is likely this summer. Protect this gem of a coach at all costs

RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#16 » by 2010 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:29 am

Kampuchea wrote:
2010 wrote:

Obi

How could I forget him too? :lol:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,203

Post#17 » by Capn'O » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:38 am

2010 wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:
2010 wrote:

Obi

How could I forget him too? :lol:

Easily, apparently.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Post#18 » by cgmw » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:04 am

Extension propoganda! The Leon Mafia rolls hard, man. You're either in or you're out, and Thibs is definitely the man for the 'Nova Knicks (mostly because he enables Brunson, unleashes Donte, and plays Josh 48). Just a fantastic fit for our current group.

That said... Not-so-bold prediction: Dolan will be paying Thibs' next contract long after Thibs is fired because this is a fluff piece and back in reality Thibs won't be the right coach for Leon's next major acquisition -- especially if it's Embiid. They extend Thibs. Then they fire Thibs, probably within one calendar year of signing the extension.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,338

Post#19 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:26 am

cgmw wrote:Extension propoganda! The Leon Mafia rolls hard, man. You're either in or you're out, and Thibs is definitely the man for the 'Nova Knicks (mostly because he enables Brunson, unleashes Donte, and plays Josh 48). Just a fantastic fit for our current group.

That said... Not-so-bold prediction: Dolan will be paying Thibs' next contract long after Thibs is fired because this is a fluff piece and back in reality Thibs won't be the right coach for Leon's next major acquisition -- especially if it's Embiid. They extend Thibs. Then they fire Thibs, probably within one calendar year of signing the extension.

How Dare You!
ImageImageImage
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,439

Post#20 » by Context » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:51 am

DaGawd wrote:nice to see thibs finally getting his flowers

Happy to hear that the players love being around eachother and love to play for Thibs...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren

Return to New York Knicks