ImageImageImageImageImage

[The Athletic] NBA Players are wrong about Thibs

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,206

Re: [The Athletic] NBA Players are wrong about Thibs 

Post#61 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:12 pm

DOT wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Who are these coaches constantly beating teams with more talent in the playoffs?

Spoiler:
Well, there's Spo and... ummmm... maybe Popovich?

Didn't somebody beat that 2011 Heat team that people keep swearing nobody could beat?

If we get the Pacers in R1 who you got?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,459

Post#62 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 pm

I'm probably opening a can of worms but who thought it was a good idea to make him a mod in the first place? Wasn't he like 11? He barely knew the sport back then and debated everything with stats and was so annoying with the Ntilikina bs! :lol: He's older now but I don't care about the Jaguars and I don't find his posts interesting or insightful at all. How can we put guys like him on ignore?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,312

Post#63 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:20 pm

Capn'O wrote:
DOT wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Who are these coaches constantly beating teams with more talent in the playoffs?

Spoiler:
Well, there's Spo and... ummmm... maybe Popovich?

Didn't somebody beat that 2011 Heat team that people keep swearing nobody could beat?

Would depend on how healthy the team is

Full health, I think they're a favorable matchup for us with the way Haliburton's playing. If he gets back to form it would be roughly even talent wise and would come down to the coaches

Miami would beat us, of course, because while Spo and Thibs are equally elite coaches, the Heat roster is just so much more talented. I mean, after all, it has to be, since Spo and Thibs are equals, if they beat us last year it has to be off the talent disparity.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#64 » by knicks94 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:23 pm

DOT wrote:
knicks94 wrote:
DOT wrote:Why is this always the excuse?

"Wah, Thibs had to play good teams Wah"

You're always gonna have to play great teams in the playoffs. He's beaten 1 team in the postseason with a record over 50 wins, and that was last year

If you're telling me the only way for Thibs to win in the playoffs is to avoid great teams, then he's not a great coach. It's that simple. You need to beat teams better than you, Thibs hasn't shown he can get his teams to do that.

What team in the East was going to beat that Miami Heat team? The Bulls sure weren't going to get passed them with D.Rose as their only superstar. The reason why Dallas and San Antonio were able to beat them was because each of them had multiple Hall of Famers on their roster.

And as far as Thibs' run with the Knicks, it wasn't his fault that Julius Randle doesn't show up in the playoffs and that the Knicks had no depth when they lost to Atlanta in 2021.

What is Thibs' most impressive series win as a coach in the playoffs?

Seriously, it's last year vs the Cavs (only time in his career he's beaten a team with more than 50 wins)

People talk about how his overall record in the playoffs is 31-41. His record against teams with winning records is 21-34. A .381 winning percentage against teams with winning records in the playoffs (not including 2012 because Rose got hurt, so I'm being generous here). 3 total series wins vs teams with winning records

This is the guy y'all are claiming is an elite coach who's "basically won everything you possibly can"?

How many elite coaches were able to have success with the limited talent that Thibs had?

Phil Jackson couldn't reach the conference finals with Pippen and Kobe alone.

What has Gregg Popovich accomplished since no longer having Duncan or Kawhi?

Most coaches in the NBA are not even on Thibs' level.And if you want to hold him to the standard of Spoelstra and Budenholzer than you really do have unrealistic standards.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#65 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:27 pm

DOT wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
DOT wrote:Didn't somebody beat that 2011 Heat team that people keep swearing nobody could beat?

Would depend on how healthy the team is

Full health, I think they're a favorable matchup for us with the way Haliburton's playing. If he gets back to form it would be roughly even talent wise and would come down to the coaches

Miami would beat us, of course, because while Spo and Thibs are equally elite coaches, the Heat roster is just so much more talented. I mean, after all, it has to be, since Spo and Thibs are equals, if they beat us last year it has to be off the talent disparity.

Literally everyone conceded that Spo was the better coach in the last thread. That was the whole point. What are you even doing here?
BAF Clippers

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:27 pm

knicks94 wrote:How many elite coaches were able to have success with the limited talent that Thibs had?

Got it, so when we lose in the 2nd round again, it will be because there's no talent on this team

Just making sure we have that saved for future reference in case someone wants to say this is a good team and Brunson is an MVP caliber player.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,623

Post#67 » by Gravy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:28 pm

Spoiler:
Well, there's Spo obviously and then... ummmm... maybe Popovich?

hmmm idk, Spo has never won a title without Lebron+Wade together and lost two with them, Pop has not gotten out of the 1st round in the last 7 years. Lets see them win a championship with Randle as their #1 player, Now that would be impressive lol
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#68 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:31 pm

DOT wrote:
knicks94 wrote:How many elite coaches were able to have success with the limited talent that Thibs had?

Got it, so when we lose in the 2nd round again, it will be because there's no talent on this team

Just making sure we have that saved for future reference in case someone wants to say this is a good team and Brunson is an MVP caliber player.

So, in essence, what you are doing here is straight trolling.
BAF Clippers

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:32 pm

Capn'O wrote:
DOT wrote:

I'm expressing my frustration at the fact that as long as we have Thibs, our ceiling will be capped at the 2nd round and we are gonna waste Brunson's prime instead of doing what needs to be done in order to win a championship.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by knicks94 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 pm

DOT wrote:

Well either three things can happen if the Knicks reach the second round:

1. They get eliminated because they won't be fully healthy.

2. They lose to a more talented team or talented coach.

3. They somehow find a way to win the series and make it to the conference finals.

It is very likely that the first two outcomes happen due to the fact that it is highly likely that Randle and OG won't be 100 percent by then or that they run into Boston, Milwaukee or Miami.

If the Knicks do not make it to the third round it will have very little to do with Thibs being an incompetent coach.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,091

Post#71 » by stuporman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:42 pm

Thibs is one of the main reasons why Brunson came to the Knicks and absolutely loves the guy like family but let's fire the coach because that is the type of pure Knicksiness that would keep the best player the Knicks have had in over two decades happy.

They should hire Monte Williams away from Detroit because he's been to the finals while Thibs hasn't and that means he's the better coach...right? Right?
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:49 pm

The last thing I'm gonna say

Thibs has faced 5 teams in the playoffs who had between 42 and 50 wins. Good, not great regular season teams

He's 2-3 in those series as a coach. Not talking about the Heatles or the Harden Rockets or the LeBron Cavs, but regular ass playoff teams. Those 2 wins came in 2011 and 2013, so one he needed MVP Rose for. Last year was the first time since 2013 he beat a team in the playoffs who had a winning record

That isn't a great coach. But whatever, y'all can drink the Kool-Aid if you want, I've seen people simping over Mark Jackson because he has this legend about him same as Thibs which doesn't match the results.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,530

Post#73 » by Wildcat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:50 pm

DOT wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
DOT wrote:Got it, so when we lose in the 2nd round again, it will be because there's no talent on this team

I'm expressing my frustration at the fact that as long as we have Thibs, our ceiling will be capped at the 2nd round and we are gonna waste Brunson's prime instead of doing what needs to be done in order to win a championship.

We're such an incredibly impatient fanbase. I feel like some fans want to run before they learn to walk.

We're in year 2 of this Brunson era. I don't see progress as wasteful. 47 W's last year (up from 10), maybe 50 W's this year, maybe a 3rd Seed up from 5th. Culturally the team is in good shape, hopefully physically as well soon. The team is responding to Thibs. That's very important. I don't prescribe to the notion that there's a ceiling here. My biggest complaint last year was JB wasn't playing enough pick and roll offense. That's changed. Thibs has opened up that game and has given JB the keys to the playbook. The team statistics are pheromonal when everyone is healthy. If a 2nd round exit is in the cards, it would be disappointment if it didn't come from a 1 or 2 Seed. Losing to anyone under the Knicks is what I'd call a waste.

With that said, I do believe the Knicks matchup well with the Bucks.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#74 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 pm

knicks94 wrote:
DOT wrote:

3. They somehow find a way to win the series and make it to the conference finals.

It is very likely that the first two outcomes happen due to the fact that it is highly likely that Randle and OG won't be 100 percent by then or that they run into Boston, Milwaukee or Miami.

If the Knicks do not make it to the third round it will have very little to do with Thibs being an incompetent coach.

Thibs gets results in the regular season because he runs the team into the ground every night like it's a game seven. By the time the playoffs come we were dealing with multiple injuries both years so far and this year looks even worse. Then he SHORTENS the rotation. Insanity. So that could be argued as him being incompetent for not looking at the long term picture of team health after 82 game sevens in a row. His lawyers will tell you none of it is his fault though. I think it's ridiculous that he ignores half the roster all season long unless injuries force his hand. The right move is to keep the bench involved with at least a 10-11 man rotation during the regular season.

We have seen years of him not having a feel for the game. Not having an ounce of creativity on offense. Never trusting his bench. Poor substitutions and minutes distribution. Poor in game adjustments. Favoring vets(Elf/Burks/etc) even when they suck. Nobodies perfect but, he gives plenty of reasons for people to not like him.

I am in on the fence with him but I don't really care for his methods. The team has a gritty/tough identity that we love here in NY but, I would not be mad if he were let go. I think he gets extended though. I am also ok with that because as fans, we have not had any stability or continuity with the FO/HC in decades. I would have preferred Budenholzer at the time though. He's still out there.
:beer: RIP mags
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#75 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:14 pm

DOT wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:I see were doing the whole gotcha on semantics bit today. That's always a fun person to have around!

Again the poster who calls everyone under the sun a troll who doesn't agree with their opinions is now coming in and being the antagonist troll in a thread they had no business being in in the first place...

Again we're the feral ones! :lol:

Someone's mad Daddy Thibs is being criticized :rofl:

You're literally in here embarrassing yourself more and more with each post.

Ain't nobody in here mad but you :lol:

Again have a nice day bro. 8-)
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,091

Post#76 » by stuporman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:15 pm

DOT wrote:The last thing I'm gonna say

deal :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
knicks94
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by knicks94 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:21 pm

DOT wrote:The last thing I'm gonna say

Thibs has faced 5 teams in the playoffs who had between 42 and 50 wins. Good, not great regular season teams

He's 2-3 in those series as a coach. Not talking about the Heatles or the Harden Rockets or the LeBron Cavs, but regular ass playoff teams. Those 2 wins came in 2011 and 2013, so one he needed MVP Rose for. Last year was the first time since 2013 he beat a team in the playoffs who had a winning record

That isn't a great coach. But whatever, y'all can drink the Kool-Aid if you want, I've seen people simping over Mark Jackson because he has this legend about him same as Thibs which doesn't match the results.

Let's look at Thibs' playoff history outside of the years that you are excluding:

2012- Bulls didn't have D.Rose for that entire series and were severly limited.

2014- Bulls didn't have D.Rose in the playoffs and were severely limited.

2018-That T'wolves team wasn't that good, they were following a season in which they lost more than 50 games and went back to sucking after making the playoffs. Had it not been for Thibs they would have not even sniffed the postseason that year.

2021- That team was awful the previous years and was heavily dependent on Randle.

2023- The Heat were simply the more talented team with the better coach in that round.

You can't simply look at the outcomes of those series and ignore context.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,393

Post#78 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:43 pm

Dot, use this doll to show us where Thibs hurt you

:D

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#79 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:59 pm

Hawks was probably his worst loss. Couldn't get Randle going.

I hope we have a full deck this year in the playoffs. You'd see one way or another what we have. Hard to judge when you're playing with major cards missing.
BAF Clippers

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,066

Post#80 » by DaGawd » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 pm

knicks94 wrote:
DOT wrote:

this. again some of these coaches like spo, greg pop etc wouldn’t have ever won **** without lebron, wade,
shaq, duncan, kawhi, etc.. thibs has never lost with that type of talent.. the onus is on the knicks fo to get thibs that level of talent to work with
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to New York Knicks