ImageImageImageImageImage

[The Athletic] NBA Players are wrong about Thibs

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,395

Re: [The Athletic] NBA Players are wrong about Thibs 

Post#41 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:39 pm

GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=18sBbD1mYM6MMPi0ST_Nwg&s=01

Thibs the caregiver

iShart >>>> Mitch
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,819

Post#42 » by spree8 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:34 pm

moocow007 wrote:Every time I read or hear about something like this I remember Kobe Bryant and Mamba Mentality. The guys that hate Thibs long workouts and hard pushing style probably don't have Mamba Mentality. Those are the types of players that you probably don't really want. Doesn't mean Thibs is perfect. But if the reason you don't like playing for him is because you don't want to work extra hard and you don't want to do whatever it takes then that says more about you the player than it does about Thibs the coach.

Bingo… immediately what I thought when I first heard about the poll. New softer generation of players who don’t like to put in the work
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#43 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:48 pm

When you realize a lot of the anti-Thibs stuff put out by either fans, media members, etc. originates from his Chicago days and GarPax/Reinsdorf looking for a reason to fire him so they didn't have to pay him then the discourse around Thibs starts to make a lot more sense. Basically the Chicago regime put a bunch of plausible propaganda as to why Thibs should leave through the media so they could justify firing him to the public. Reinsdorf has always been a cheap fuq of an owner and it's why they never won post-Jordan or post-Thibs.

Thibs isn't faultless like any other coach but, I've never really seen a coach have as wild of a disparity between what their results say they are vs. what the general audience seem to think of him. He's basically won everything you possibly can as a coach. Multiple COY's. His regular season record is in line with a lot of the great coaches of all-time. He even won a title as the defensive architect of the Celtics. You would think bringing consistent success to the post 00's Knicks would be lauded and yet there are vocal people here who still oppose him as the coach. It's truly bizarre.

I'm glad this article was written though. Thibs deserves some propaganda in his favor for once. He's a damn good coach and been our best one since JVG.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,313

Post#44 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:18 pm

When you gotta pretend like winning a title as an assistant coach is as impressive as winning one as a head coach, you know you're down bad :lol:

Propaganda is right :lol:
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#45 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:29 pm

DOT wrote:When you gotta pretend like winning a title as an assistant coach is as impressive as winning one as a head coach, you know you're down bad :lol:

Propaganda is right :lol:

When you gotta pretend that I ever made that comparison in the first place and don't quote me on it you know you're down bad :lol:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote: He's basically won everything you possibly can as a coach. Multiple COY's. His regular season record is in line with a lot of the great coaches of all-time. He even won a title as the defensive architect of the Celtics.

"Basically everything you possibly can, including winning the title as an assistant!"

lol **** outta here

Dude has 1 conference finals appearance 13 years ago and lost but he's "basically won everything you possibly can"

:rofl:

It's funny, y'all will say "well sure he has flaws" but the moment people actually criticize him, y'all go feral :lol:
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,092

Post#47 » by stuporman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:44 pm

DaGawd wrote:nice to see thibs finally getting his flowers

His flowers...
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#48 » by knicks94 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:45 pm

DOT wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote: He's basically won everything you possibly can as a coach. Multiple COY's. His regular season record is in line with a lot of the great coaches of all-time. He even won a title as the defensive architect of the Celtics.

"Basically everything you possibly can, including winning the title as an assistant!"

lol **** outta here

Dude has 1 conference finals appearance 13 years ago and lost but he's "basically won everything you possibly can"

It's funny, y'all will say "well sure he has flaws" but the moment people actually criticize him, y'all go feral :lol:

I am not a Thibs apologist and some people here know that I wanted him fired when we were struggling earlier in the season, but don't you think that he would have had more success had his Bulls teams not ran into a super Miami Heat team?
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#49 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:46 pm

DOT wrote:

lol **** outta here

Brother the lack of self awareness is astounding.

We're in a thread that has a positive article about Thibs. Obviously there are going to be posts that are pro Thibs in here. You came in unprompted to chit on me for simply saying Thibs has won a lot as a coach. Concocted a comparison I made where there was none. Also didn't even bother to quote me on it so you could do your little passive aggressive "holier than though" shtick. And now I'm the feral one? Respectfully FOH. Lol

Have a nice day bro.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:50 pm

knicks94 wrote:don't you think that he would have had more success had his Bulls teams not ran into a super Miami Heat team?

Why is this always the excuse?

"Wah, Thibs had to play good teams Wah"

You're always gonna have to play great teams in the playoffs. He's beaten 1 team in the postseason with a record over 50 wins, and that was last year

If you're telling me the only way for Thibs to win in the playoffs is to avoid great teams, then he's not a great coach. It's that simple. You need to beat teams better than you, Thibs hasn't shown he can get his teams to do that.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:55 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:for simply saying Thibs has won a lot as a coach.

Knicksfan1992 wrote: He's basically won everything you possibly can as a coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motte-and-bailey_fallacy

Bailey: "Thibs has basically won everything you possibly can as a coach"

Motte: "All I said was Thibs has won a lot"
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#52 » by knicks94 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:57 pm

DOT wrote:
knicks94 wrote:don't you think that he would have had more success had his Bulls teams not ran into a super Miami Heat team?

You're always gonna have to play great teams in the playoffs. He's beaten 1 team in the postseason with a record over 50 wins, and that was last year

If you're telling me the only way for Thibs to win in the playoffs is to avoid great teams, then he's not a great coach. It's that simple. You need to beat teams better than you, Thibs hasn't shown he can get his teams to do that.

What team in the East was going to beat that Miami Heat team? The Bulls sure weren't going to get passed them with D.Rose as their only superstar. The reason why Dallas and San Antonio were able to beat them was because each of them had multiple Hall of Famers on their roster.

And as far as Thibs' run with the Knicks, it wasn't his fault that Julius Randle doesn't show up in the playoffs and that the Knicks had no depth when they lost to Atlanta in 2021.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#53 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:00 pm

I see were doing the whole gotcha on semantics bit today. That's always a fun person to have around!

Again the poster who calls everyone under the sun a troll who doesn't agree with their opinions is now coming in and being the antagonist troll in a thread they had no business being in in the first place...

Again we're the feral ones! :lol:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:06 pm

knicks94 wrote:
DOT wrote:

What team in the East was going to beat that Miami Heat team? The Bulls sure weren't going to get passed them with D.Rose as their only superstar. The reason why Dallas and San Antonio were able to beat them was because each of them had multiple Hall of Famers on their roster.

And as far as Thibs' run with the Knicks, it wasn't his fault that Julius Randle doesn't show up in the playoffs and that the Knicks had no depth when they lost to Atlanta in 2021.

What is Thibs' most impressive series win as a coach in the playoffs?

Seriously, it's last year vs the Cavs (only time in his career he's beaten a team with more than 50 wins)

People talk about how his overall record in the playoffs is 31-41. His record against teams with winning records is 21-34. A .381 winning percentage against teams with winning records in the playoffs (not including 2012 because Rose got hurt, so I'm being generous here). 3 total series wins vs teams with winning records

This is the guy y'all are claiming is an elite coach who's "basically won everything you possibly can"?
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,092

Post#55 » by stuporman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:07 pm

As soon as Thibs does something people don't like or the Knicks lose something they don't think the team should the pitchforks will be out for him. He's safe and tolerated for as long as the team is exceeding expectations, as soon as they aren't he will get the brunt of the criticism and that he's the problem.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,207

Post#56 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:08 pm

Who are these coaches constantly beating teams with more talent in the playoffs?

Spoiler:
Well, there's Spo obviously and then... ummmm... maybe Popovich?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,459

Post#57 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:08 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:I see were doing the whole gotcha on semantics bit today. That's always a fun person to have around!

Again the poster who calls everyone under the sun a troll who doesn't agree with their opinions is now coming in and being the antagonist troll in a thread they had no business being in in the first place...

RealGM really needs to add the ability to put an old mod on ignore. :nonono:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:10 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:I see were doing the whole gotcha on semantics bit today. That's always a fun person to have around!

Someone's mad Daddy Thibs is being criticized :rofl:
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by DOT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:11 pm

Capn'O wrote:Who are these coaches constantly beating teams with more talent in the playoffs?

Spoiler:
Well, there's Spo and... ummmm... maybe Popovich?

Didn't somebody beat that 2011 Heat team that people keep swearing nobody could beat?
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,459

Post#60 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:11 pm

Capn'O wrote:Who are these coaches constantly beating teams with more talent in the playoffs?

Spoiler:
Well, there's Spo and... ummmm... maybe Popovich?

Yup and once you get to the playoffs talent usually always beats good or better coaching. I always saw NBA coaching as more vital in the regular season.

Return to New York Knicks