ImageImageImageImageImage

Deuce McBride glow-up thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Deuce McBride glow-up thread 

Post#1 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:35 am

Couldn't happen at a better more opportune time. His defense is ELITE and always has been but now he's in killer mode. He's running the team, attacking the paint, sniping from 3... he's always had the mid range which is rare in today's NBA.

He's just got his confidence thru the roof, which he's never really lacked but it must of been so frustrating not getting a chance to showcase his talent and get consistent minutes to really help this team.

He can flat out WRECK a game with his defense alone. Now he's showing he can be an important 2-way player.... that is HUGE for us at the PERFECT time. He adds a special talent to a fully healthy team but given our state of injuries he's proving even more vital.

He's proving he can be trusted. This is like getting a 1st round ready draft pick or trading for an impact player right before the playoffs.... aka Marcus Smart
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Re: Deuce FINALLY getting minutes just before a playoff run 

Post#2 » by sol537 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:38 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:Couldn't happen at a better more opportune time. His defense is ELITE and always has been but now he's in killer mode. He's running the team, attacking the paint, sniping from 3... he's always had the mid range which is rare in today's NBA.

He's just got his confidence thru the roof, which he's never really lacked but it must of been so frustrating not getting a chance to showcase his talent and get consistent minutes to really help this team.

He can flat out WRECK a game with his defense alone. Now he's showing he can be an important 2-way player.... that is HUGE for us at the PERFECT time. He adds a special talent to a fully healthy team but given our state of injuries he's proving even more vital.

He's proving he can be trusted. This is like getting a 1st round ready draft pick or trading for an impact player right before the playoffs.

IHart (and maybe Mitch or Precious) out there with OG, Hart and Deuce is absolutely devastating defensively for stretches. Cant wait for those four together for long stretches in the playoffs.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#3 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:39 am

sol537 wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Couldn't happen at a better more opportune time. His defense is ELITE and always has been but now he's in killer mode. He's running the team, attacking the paint, sniping from 3... he's always had the mid range which is rare in today's NBA.

He's proving he can be trusted. This is like getting a 1st round ready draft pick or trading for an impact player right before the playoffs.

IHart (and maybe Mitch or Precious) out there with OG, Hart and Deuce is absolutely devastating defensively for stretches. Cant wait for those four together for long stretches in the playoffs.

ain't no maybe Mitch cmn back baby!!

salivating at Mitch, OG, Deuce...
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,274

Post#4 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:20 am

Am I the only one who thinks the Knicks did him dirty, signing him on the cheap before his minutes went up? They limited Mitch's minutes before extending him too. With the cap, this kind of shenanigan might be necessary but it's unfortunate.

If I'm wrong, let me know, but that's what it looks like to me. If I see it, I'm sure the players see it.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,110

Post#5 » by sol537 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:35 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the Knicks did him dirty, signing him on the cheap before his minutes went up? They limited Mitch's minutes before extending him too. With the cap, this kind of shenanigan might be necessary but it's unfortunate.

If I'm wrong, let me know, but that's what it looks like to me. If I see it, I'm sure the players see it.

Remember when GSW signed Curry on a cheap extension because he was coming off an injury and that allowed them to build a 4-time championship team around him including two years of Durant? Sometimes you gotta make the most out of those bargain deals…
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#6 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:29 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the Knicks did him dirty, signing him on the cheap before his minutes went up? They limited Mitch's minutes before extending him too. With the cap, this kind of shenanigan might be necessary but it's unfortunate.

I mean it's a business at the end of the day and building / constructing the best team within contract structure. I think Deuce just really loves it here in NY, the city, the ppl, the fans.

His agent also has a job to do so idk but what I do know is Deuce will get a really nice contract when that time comes and he will be in the NBA for a LONG time, prolly as long as he wants until he's ready to retire. He's all heart, effort n grit... true New Yorker

I love this kid, I hope he blossoms into a great player and we can keep him and he retires a Knick. Give this kid 3-4 more inches and he's a clear cut starter.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,342

Post#7 » by iLLmatic860 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:09 am

Hell get paid once it’s time.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,723

Re: Deuce FINALLY getting minutes just before a playoff push 

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:59 am

Free Palestine
HopelessKnick
Starter
And1: 1,551

Post#9 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:44 am

All the injuries have been really frustrating as I believe a fully healthy Knick squad would have secured the 2nd spot and could have won 55-60 games. However, the development of Deuce, Hartenstein, Precious, DD have really been only possible due to the injuries as well. I have no doubts that Mitch and OG are going to be close to 100% come playoff time. If Julius can be somewhat effective than we have a solid chance at the ECF and I would think that'd we'd give Boston a run for their money.

I have criticized Thibs in the past a lot (didn't appreciate leaving startes in the last two minutes yesterday as well). However, give him credit for playing Deuce ahead of Burks as he has earned it. We were all afraid Burks would diminish Deuce minutes but that has not been the case.

Deuce has been incredibly good. We got ourselves really a great rotation player. Brunson and JR surrounded by all these elite defensive, high energy players that can also mostly shoot the ball well. If this team can stay healthy then it will be a team that we will remember just like the Ewing era---this is a legit top 5 team in the NBA---I fear no one if this team is healthy, including Boston.

And the craziest thing is we have like 8 tradable FRPs, Bojan's expiring, loads of strong players on great contracts as well. If there is an opening for a great fitting superstar player we have more than enough to pull it off. The Knicks are in the greatest position they have been in since mid/late 90s.
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#10 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:49 am

And it kinda feels great to be doing it with Brunson, JR and the rest of the bunch instead of Lebron, KD type of route.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,403

Post#11 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:09 am

In honor of the Knicks RealGM board grand tradition:

Deuce >>> Donte
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,834

Post#12 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:27 pm

How good is he going to be? What was his projection coming in? I’m impressed by his shot-making and confidence - didn’t see that coming.

It is fairly hard to find a comparable player without overrating McBride. Jrue holiday is much better. Derrick White too. Marcus Smart comes to mind. Pat Beverley. Anyone else?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,572

Post#13 » by Fat Kat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:00 pm

Deuce is what we wanted Grimes to be. He’s making Quickley a distant memory. I didn’t think he had this level of play in him. Glad I was wrong
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HopelessKnick
Starter

Post#14 » by HopelessKnick » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:44 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:How good is he going to be? What was his projection coming in? I’m impressed by his shot-making and confidence - didn’t see that coming.

It is fairly hard to find a comparable player without overrating McBride. Jrue holiday is much better. Derrick White too. Marcus Smart comes to mind. Pat Beverley. Anyone else?

Yeah I think a prime Patrick Beverly is a good comparison. Deuce is rock solid and he will only get better---he can shoot it well, has a midrange but is also starting to go to the basket more and his defense is elite really. The fact that Thibs starts him alongside Brunson really speaks volumes---knowing Thibs and all. Glad to have him on the team.
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,461

Post#15 » by FrozenEnvelope » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:48 pm

He's proving he can be trusted. This is like getting a 1st round ready draft pick or trading for an impact player right before the playoffs.... aka Marcus Smart

Do you give Thibs and the coaching staff any credit for Deuce's development?
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,342

Post#16 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:17 pm

It’s amazing to watch the journey of Deuce this season. He has slowly gained Thibs trust to playing pretty much the entire game and his game is coming together.

He’s playing with so much more confidence, getting into the paint, making some high level reads, finishing with his left hand. The pull-up game is on some elite levels with similar % to Brunson, just on much less volume. Of course his spot up shooting has been on point. He takes care of the ball, makes the extra pass, hustles non stop. He fits in perfectly with the Nova guys and Thibs style. Heard someone mention he’s an honorary Nova guy and would agree 100% with that.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,453

Post#17 » by Context » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:22 pm

I like Deuce a lot :nod:
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,453

Post#18 » by Context » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:23 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:It’s amazing to watch the journey of Deuce this season. He has slowly gained Thibs trust to playing pretty much the entire game and his game is coming together.

He’s playing with so much more confidence, getting into the paint, making some high level reads, finishing with his left hand. The pull-up game is on some elite levels with similar % to Brunson, just on much less volume. Of course his spot up shooting has been on point. He takes care of the ball, makes the extra pass, hustles non stop. He fits in perfectly with the Nova guys and Thibs style. Heard someone mention he’s an honorary Nova guy and would agree 100% with that.

:wink:
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
KnixtapeH20
RealGM

Post#19 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:52 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:

Do you give Thibs and the coaching staff any credit for Deuce's development?

I've always given Thibs credit for player development but in the same token some of yall act like they wouldn't develop w.o Thibs or with a different coach... or maybe they would of developed a lot sooner had they gotten consistent minutes

There's no way to know but I've always maintained Thibs was a good coach not a great coach for many painfully obvious reasons. Brunson 100% saved his job and so did Randle during that December stretch 2 years ago when we looked like we were nose diving and shifting to the lottery

I also have always credited Thibs for changing the culture at a DIRE time of need but the game has passed him by for a long time now and he's not a coach to get u over the hump. Nobody was hiring him but us
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,511

Post#20 » by Iron Mantis » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:17 pm

For years we've seen Deuce has the ability to be a very solid player. The defense was always there. He showcased his passing ability and 3pt shot in the G-League.

Then with the team, the opportunities weren't there. Erratic minutes, garbage time minutes...in and out of the rotation.

One major difference now is that he's playing with extreme confidence because he's actually getting a serious, consistent opportunity. He's very loosey goosey and having fun.

Injuries and trading for awful players(like Burks) are never good.....but both have been a blessing for Deuce, since Thibs is forced to play him big minutes where he can just be himself and play with freedom.

Return to New York Knicks