ImageImageImageImageImage

Deuce McBride glow-up thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

louisorr
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,387

Re: Deuce FINALLY getting minutes just before a playoff push 

Post#21 » by louisorr » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:53 pm

Deuce = Deus
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

Post#22 » by GONYK » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:00 pm

Deuce has been playing really well and I'm so happy for him and the team.

He's doing what Grimes couldn't, which is simply shoot the ball every time you get a clean look. I don't know what Q's mental block was around that, but that's a big reason why he's gone.

Deuce put trust in all his work and fires confidently without hesitation.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Re: Deuce FINALLY getting minutes just before a playoff run 

Post#23 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:00 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the Knicks did him dirty, signing him on the cheap before his minutes went up? They limited Mitch's minutes before extending him too. With the cap, this kind of shenanigan might be necessary but it's unfortunate.

If I'm wrong, let me know, but that's what it looks like to me. If I see it, I'm sure the players see it.

A bit, but he was only a second rounder before so he gets security, and based upon his previous play, it was an overpay. He could technically get more if he said no, but he also could get hurt badly. Plus he now gets more minutes (which the Knicks control) and he gets to stay
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#24 » by knicks94 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:16 pm

I hope not one Knicks fan continues crying about the Knicks trading IQ.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,510

Post#25 » by Iron Mantis » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:05 pm

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Couldn't happen at a better more opportune time. His defense is ELITE and always has been but now he's in killer mode. He's running the team, attacking the paint, sniping from 3... he's always had the mid range which is rare in today's NBA.

He's just got his confidence thru the roof, which he's never really lacked but it must of been so frustrating not getting a chance to showcase his talent and get consistent minutes to really help this team.

He can flat out WRECK a game with his defense alone. Now he's showing he can be an important 2-way player.... that is HUGE for us at the PERFECT time. He adds a special talent to a fully healthy team but given our state of injuries he's proving even more vital.

He's proving he can be trusted. This is like getting a 1st round ready draft pick or trading for an impact player right before the playoffs.... aka Marcus Smart

Do you give Thibs and the coaching staff any credit for Deuce's development?

I've always given Thibs credit for player development but in the same token some of yall act like they wouldn't develop w.o Thibs or with a different coach... or maybe they would of developed a lot sooner had they gotten consistent minutes

There's no way to know but I've always maintained Thibs was a good coach not a great coach for many painfully obvious reasons. Brunson 100% saved his job and so did Randle during that December stretch 2 years ago when we looked like we were nose diving and shifting to the lottery

I also have always credited Thibs for changing the culture at a DIRE time of need but the game has passed him by for a long time now and he's not a coach to get u over the hump. Nobody was hiring him but us

Didn't even touch the floor in 42 out of the 82 games his rookie season.

Sophomore season, had 18 DNP's and 28 of his 66 games played were only 9 minutes or less, most in garbage time.

This season, injuries forced him into the rotation, much like how Thibs was first forced to free Grimes.

Deuce could realistically be a year behind in his development. Nevertheless, I'm thankful he's getting the chance to shine. Unfortunately, he's probably taking Grimes' place in a star trade this summer. :nonono:
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#26 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:17 pm

knicks94 wrote:I hope not one Knicks fan continues crying about the Knicks trading IQ.

Sounds to me like you just didn’t appreciate IQ. That’s a very sad thing that probably says more about you as a fan than anything.
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#27 » by knicks94 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:40 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
knicks94 wrote:I hope not one Knicks fan continues crying about the Knicks trading IQ.

Sounds to me like you just didn’t appreciate IQ. That’s a very sad thing that probably says more about you as a fan than anything.

Nice little strawman argument you got going there, Mr. or Mrs.KnicksGadfly! So I can't have an opinion on IQ because that proves that I did not appreciate IQ as a player? You really are the most smartest and logical poster I've ever come across on this entire forum. And I've come across many posters on this forum over the years.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,530

Post#28 » by Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm

I said in the offseason before the Ragu signing that I thought Deuce could step into IQ's role if the Knicks ended up trading IQ. The circumstances changed for the 4 players involved (Ragu, IQ, Deuce, and Grimes), but it seems like we're in a better spot now. Happy for Deuce and I can't wait to see how Josh and Deuce plays with one another as apart of the bench squad. Josh and Deuce alone are such strong bench players, but throw in Mitch/Precious/Bog, and that whole scenario reads so well to me.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,902

Post#29 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:49 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the Knicks did him dirty, signing him on the cheap before his minutes went up? They limited Mitch's minutes before extending him too. With the cap, this kind of shenanigan might be necessary but it's unfortunate.

If I'm wrong, let me know, but that's what it looks like to me. If I see it, I'm sure the players see it.

until mitch got hurt they were also kinda hiding iHart. Even some games with Mitch out they were still running him with the 2nd unit. It's something to notice.

The other thing is that obviously all of the guys who are NOT part of the NovaKnicks have to know they are in the trade package for Mikal Bridges should it come to be. Kinda sucks knowing that no matter how good you are/what you do, the teams best player is going to get his buddy if the chance arises.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#30 » by Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:57 pm

GONYK wrote:Deuce has been playing really well and I'm so happy for him and the team.

He's doing what Grimes couldn't, which is simply shoot the ball every time you get a clean look. I don't know what Q's mental block was around that, but that's a big reason why he's gone.

Grimes was too busy looking over his shoulder at Ragu even though he was there to replace IQ. 100% mental block. A fresh start is going to do him well next season. I'm still on Team Grimes. Just wish he got out of his own way. Also, not sure what's going on with his knee, but they should shut him down.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,902

Post#31 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:

I've always given Thibs credit for player development but in the same token some of yall act like they wouldn't develop w.o Thibs or with a different coach... or maybe they would of developed a lot sooner had they gotten consistent minutes

There's no way to know but I've always maintained Thibs was a good coach not a great coach for many painfully obvious reasons. Brunson 100% saved his job and so did Randle during that December stretch 2 years ago when we looked like we were nose diving and shifting to the lottery

I also have always credited Thibs for changing the culture at a DIRE time of need but the game has passed him by for a long time now and he's not a coach to get u over the hump. Nobody was hiring him but us

Sophomore season, had 18 DNP's and 28 of his 66 games played were only 9 minutes or less, most in garbage time.

This season, injuries forced him into the rotation, much like how Thibs was first forced to free Grimes.

Deuce could realistically be a year behind in his development. Nevertheless, I'm thankful he's getting the chance to shine. Unfortunately, he's probably taking Grimes' place in a star trade this summer. :nonono:

Honestly, I don't think his value is going to spike all that much. I mean he is someone who will be tradable so inherently requested, but he is a 3-D 2 guards in a big point guard body.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 14,917

Post#32 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:24 pm

Wildcat wrote:
GONYK wrote:Deuce has been playing really well and I'm so happy for him and the team.

Grimes was too busy looking over his shoulder at Ragu even though he was there to replace IQ. 100% mental block. A fresh start is going to do him well next season. I'm still on Team Grimes. Just wish he got out of his own way. Also, not sure what's going on with his knee, but they should shut him down.

Grimes is too shy and mild mannered I think to really be great. idk we'll see I loved the kid but it was getting obvious this season he just either needs a lot more time or he's just very limited
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,564

Post#33 » by cgmw » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:29 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Iron Mantis wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:I've always given Thibs credit for player development but in the same token some of yall act like they wouldn't develop w.o Thibs or with a different coach... or maybe they would of developed a lot sooner had they gotten consistent minutes

Honestly, I don't think his value is going to spike all that much. I mean he is someone who will be tradable so inherently requested, but he is a 3-D 2 guards in a big point guard body.

Agreed. Look how long and what incredible feats it took for Brunson to shake the stigma of being a 2nd rounder. Deuce still has a long way to go before he has much in terms of significant trade value.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#34 » by Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:36 pm

I don't see it. He was never guaranteed to see minutes. The natural progression was Grimes sliding into IQ's spot, which he did for a moment, but got hurt. Even after the OG trade, his number wasn't called unless Grimes was out. When the Detroit trade happened, it was Burks who was suppose to slide in that spot. And that flopped. He was only averaging 15 MPG in January. Deuce's surge in minutes are the results of their injuries and Grimes/Burks lackluster playing. That's why you stay hungry, because you never know when your number will be called.

This is all Deuce.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,523

Post#35 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:55 pm

Wildcat wrote:

I don't see it. He was never guaranteed to see minutes. The natural progression was Grimes sliding into IQ's spot, which he did for a moment, but got hurt. Even after the OG trade, his number wasn't called unless Grimes was out. When the Detroit trade happened, it was Burks who was suppose to slide in that spot. And that flopped. He was only averaging 15 MPG in January. Deuce's surge in minutes are the results of their injuries and Grimes/Burks lackluster playing. That's why you stay hungry, because you never know when your number will be called.

This is all Deuce.

As I remember, the Knicks extended McBride right after Grimes complained publicly about his role.

Grimes's days may have been numbered from that point on, and the FO saw McBride as a natural replacement, hence the extended him ahead of an increase in playing time whereby his value might have increased as well.

I do think the timing of the extension was calculated. It does seem a bit dodgy. But at least Deuce got some security out of it, assuming he doesn't mess up.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,502

Post#36 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:01 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

This is all Deuce.

As I remember, the Knicks extended McBride right after Grimes complained publicly about his role.

Grimes's days may have been numbered from that point on, and the FO saw McBride as a natural replacement, hence the extended him ahead of an increase in playing time whereby his value might have increased as well.

I do think the timing of the extension was calculated. It does seem a bit dodgy. But at least Deuce got some security out of it, assuming he doesn't mess up.

they signed the extension right after iq got traded. they knew deuce was going to get a bigger role since iq was gone. don't think it has anything to do with grimes.
While he has played sparingly this season McBride figures to play a larger role with the Knicks in the immediate future: while the Anunoby trade also netted backcourt depth in the form of Malachi Flynn, the Knicks (17-15) will likely try to utilize any form of familiarity while the incoming Raptors settle in.

Shortly before news of his deal broke, McBride played a season-high 18 minutes in Saturday's 140-126 loss to the Indiana Pacers. The West Virginia alum, affectionately referred to as "Deuce" put up five points and an assist. He was charged with three fouls but the Knicks were a plus-7 when he was on the floor.

this was a risky extension because deuce barely played and in those mins he looked pretty shaky. and it made sense for deuce to lock in that extension because he literally didnt prove anything at that point. of course he could've said no and bet on himself, but it made sense to get that financial security
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,073

Post#37 » by Jeffrey » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:04 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:Couldn't happen at a better more opportune time. His defense is ELITE and always has been but now he's in killer mode. He's running the team, attacking the paint, sniping from 3... he's always had the mid range which is rare in today's NBA.

He's just got his confidence thru the roof, which he's never really lacked but it must of been so frustrating not getting a chance to showcase his talent and get consistent minutes to really help this team.

He can flat out WRECK a game with his defense alone. Now he's showing he can be an important 2-way player.... that is HUGE for us at the PERFECT time. He adds a special talent to a fully healthy team but given our state of injuries he's proving even more vital.

He's proving he can be trusted. This is like getting a 1st round ready draft pick or trading for an impact player right before the playoffs.... aka Marcus Smart

I read somewhere that Thibs was the guy that pushed for Deuce to be drafted.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,523

Post#38 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:04 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

This is all Deuce.

they signed the extension right after iq got traded. they knew deuce was going to get a bigger role since iq was gone. don't think it has anything to do with grimes.
While he has played sparingly this season McBride figures to play a larger role with the Knicks in the immediate future: while the Anunoby trade also netted backcourt depth in the form of Malachi Flynn, the Knicks (17-15) will likely try to utilize any form of familiarity while the incoming Raptors settle in.

Shortly before news of his deal broke, McBride played a season-high 18 minutes in Saturday's 140-126 loss to the Indiana Pacers. The West Virginia alum, affectionately referred to as "Deuce" put up five points and an assist. He was charged with three fouls but the Knicks were a plus-7 when he was on the floor.

this was a risky extension because deuce barely played and in those mins he looked pretty shaky. and it made sense for deuce to lock in that extension because he literally didnt prove anything at that point. of course he could've said no and bet on himself, but it made sense to get that financial security

Chanel Bomber with the fake news once again!!!!!!
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,502

Post#39 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:09 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:As I remember, the Knicks extended McBride right after Grimes complained publicly about his role.

Chanel Bomber with the fake news once again!!!!!!

chanel caught in 4k
:lol:

this deuce extension though is looking like one of the best contracts in the league. masterclass by the don leon
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wildcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:As I remember, the Knicks extended McBride right after Grimes complained publicly about his role.

Grimes complaint was on 12/5. Benched on 12/8. Deuce's extension was 12/30. After the IQ trade, his minutes did go up. I was expecting Grimes to embrace the void IQ left, but that didn't pan out even with the increased minutes. At 1 stretch, he went 1 for 13 from downtown. Very inconsistent stretch that was unfortunately more of the same when he was a starter.

Return to New York Knicks