ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Ohtani bet on baseball?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,723

OT: Ohtani bet on baseball? 

Post#1 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:35 pm

I’m listening to this report of it on the radio. $4.5 million and they think that it’s the interpreter? :lol: AND guess who’s bank account the money to pay the gambling debt came from? Hint: It wasn’t the interpreter’s. :lol:

Lifetime ban if it’s Shohei?
Free Palestine
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Re: OT: Ohtani bet on baseball? 

Post#2 » by knicks94 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:49 pm

Manfred and MLB will do everything in their power to protect their cash cow.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#3 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:56 pm

knicks94 wrote:Manfred and MLB will do everything in their power to protect their cash cow.

Lie?

Is Pete Rose still alive? He might have a few words to say about this.
Free Palestine
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,661

Post#4 » by SOUL » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:57 pm

This is very wrong as far as what the findings are so far, but people love to run with conspiracies.

There wasn't any baseball bets that were found (which is what caused Pete Rose's bans), Ippei's entire resume has had holes poked in it in terms of where he graduated (UC Riverside), and all of the bets are very weird unless Shohei is a huge closet NBA and college football fan whilst never showing any penchant of interest in gambling in his past while Ippei has.

Basically, he could still get in trouble for if he knew anything about Ippei's dealings, but as far as the whole "he groomed him to be the fall guy!" has nothing to it, at least right now.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,403

Post#5 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:21 pm

Is he still the greatest baseball player even though he's hurt every year? That's what his fan boys tell me. He's great. I kind of like a player to get to around 10 yers before these kind of pronouncements.

Or ,Soto 3rd best player ever history of MLB!!!!
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,914

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:14 pm

SOUL wrote:This is very wrong as far as what the findings are so far, but people love to run with conspiracies.

There wasn't any baseball bets that were found (which is what caused Pete Rose's bans), Ippei's entire resume has had holes poked in it in terms of where he graduated (UC Riverside), and all of the bets are very weird unless Shohei is a huge closet NBA and college football fan whilst never showing any penchant of interest in gambling in his past while Ippei has.

Basically, he could still get in trouble for if he knew anything about Ippei's dealings, but as far as the whole "he groomed him to be the fall guy!" has nothing to it, at least right now.

My question:

How did that wire transfer happen without Ohtani's participation?

To wire transfer that amount of money comes with a lot of hurdles.

My gut feeling is that Ohtani knows more than he claims and actually did wire the money personally. The feds probably already know the truth so if he thinks that he can lie to wash his hands of this, he is sorely mistaken.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
knicks94 wrote:Manfred and MLB will do everything in their power to protect their cash cow.

Lie?

Is Pete Rose still alive? He might have a few words to say about this.

The issue here is that if I'm not mistaken, wiring money to an illegal bookmaker is a federal crime.

It doesn't matter what was being bet on. Ohtani may be facing some serious legal exposure

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#8 » by SOUL » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:40 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:My gut feeling is that Ohtani knows more than he claims and actually did wire the money personally. The feds probably already know the truth so if he thinks that he can lie to wash his hands of this, he is sorely mistaken.

That's the question people are wondering and there still could be legal trouble from that, trying to help Ippei from trouble but hurting himself in the process potentially. But everything from Ippei's past to what he even claimed himself shows he was most likely the one doing the betting. Ohtani may not be squeaky clean in this, but the whole "he bet on baseball and should be banned!!" angle just isn't true. There wasn't baseball bets, and it most likely was his (Ippei's) bets.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#9 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:54 pm

SOUL wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:My gut feeling is that Ohtani knows more than he claims and actually did wire the money personally. The feds probably already know the truth so if he thinks that he can lie to wash his hands of this, he is sorely mistaken.

That's the question people are wondering and there still could be legal trouble from that, trying to help Ippei from trouble but hurting himself in the process potentially. But everything from Ippei's past to what he even claimed himself shows he was most likely the one doing the betting. Ohtani may not be squeaky clean in this, but the whole "he bet on baseball and should be banned!!" angle just isn't true. There wasn't baseball bets, and it most likely was his bets.

Yeah I mean the only fact we the public know is that 4.5m was wired from his bank account to an illegal bookie. Anything else like accusations of betting on baseball is pure conjecture.

If Shohei did personally wire the money, and I believe that he did, he is incredibly foolish regardless of his intent, and claiming that the money was stolen will only land him in more hot water. MLB can't cover his ass on this one and they know it.

Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,075

Post#10 » by Jeffrey » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:02 pm

I read somewhere that at some point Ohtani's mom used to handle his finances and gave him 1k allowance per month LOL which is a good thing for a young guy that doesn't want to go broke at the end of his career.

Anywho... unless Ippei himself took Ohtani's phone or checkbook or cash out 4.5 million... I don't see how Ohtani didn't know about it.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#11 » by SOUL » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:If Shohei did personally wire the money, and I believe that he did, he is incredibly foolish regardless of his intent, and claiming that the money was stolen will only land him in more hot water. MLB can't cover his ass on this one and they know it.

The issue is that people who don't know baseball at all or a just Twitter tinfoil hats are hyping this up to be something it probably isn't - or at least isn't yet. I feel like the probe itself won't reveal much, even if it does corroborate Shohei's story. It'll still always sound fishy. Again, I do think he knew something was up, I just don't think it's this nefarious angle of him setting up Ippei to take the sword for him.

https://assets.ey.com/content/dam/ey-sites/ey-com/en_us/topics/assurance/ey-forensics-athletes-targeted-by-fraud-june-2019.pdf

Saw this on Reddit, but there's a combined $600 million losses in a 15 year period of athlete-related funds, so the whole "Athlete trusts friend/parents/agent/extended family" angle isn't really uncommon at all.

edit: Beyond that, he wasn't just his translator, but best friend and they basically spent time together 365.

I'm just trying to use common sense. I feel like the guy who barely spent any of his money and used it on his family, who let his parents handle his finances from a very young age and will probably earn close to a billion when it's all said and done, isn't making random bets on college football to an illegal bookie to derail his career from something extremely traceable. He'd have to have hidden an MJ-level addiction to gambling, which is possible, but not probable.

It's most likely the guy who has had gambling related stories from his past and has holes in his resume about where he went to school.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:46 pm

SOUL wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:If Shohei did personally wire the money, and I believe that he did, he is incredibly foolish regardless of his intent, and claiming that the money was stolen will only land him in more hot water. MLB can't cover his ass on this one and they know it.

The issue is that people who don't know baseball at all or a just Twitter tinfoil hats are hyping this up to be something it probably isn't - or at least isn't yet. I feel like the probe itself won't reveal much, even if it does corroborate Shohei's story. It'll still always sound fishy. Again, I do think he knew something was up, I just don't think it's this nefarious angle of him setting up Ippei to take the sword for him.

https://assets.ey.com/content/dam/ey-sites/ey-com/en_us/topics/assurance/ey-forensics-athletes-targeted-by-fraud-june-2019.pdf

Saw this on Reddit, but there's a combined $600 million losses in a 15 year period of athlete-related funds, so the whole "Athlete trusts friend/parents/agent/extended family" angle isn't really uncommon at all.

edit: Beyond that, he wasn't just his translator, but best friend and they basically spent time together 365.

I'm just trying to use common sense. I feel like the guy who barely spent any of his money and used it on his family, who let his parents handle his finances from a very young age and will probably earn close to a billion when it's all said and done, isn't making random bets on college football to an illegal bookie to derail his career from something extremely traceable. He'd have to have hidden an MJ-level addiction to gambling, which is possible, but not probable.

It's most likely the guy who has had gambling related stories from his past and has holes in his resume about where he went to school.

I lean towards where you are. I have zero proof that dude was gambling. But the way this has been handled is leading people towards wild speculation, so it hasn't helped.

Most likely:

-his homeboy was the one gambling, got himself into a massive hole.

-the bookie knew full well that translator dude was Shohei's right hand man, which explains why he even let dude's debt get to that level.

-homeboy convinces Shohei to wire the 4.5m.

If the above is the true story, most likely, Ohtani was probably ignorant to US federal law (which wouldn't be far fetched) and tried to bail out his friend. However, it was to his detriment because now he may have possibly committed a crime. That's the part that people need to key in on, and not the speculation that Ohtani is Pete Rose 2.0

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:49 pm

Jeffrey wrote:I read somewhere that at some point Ohtani's mom used to handle his finances and gave him 1k allowance per month LOL which is a good thing for a young guy that doesn't want to go broke at the end of his career.

Anywho... unless Ippei himself took Ohtani's phone or checkbook or cash out 4.5 million... I don't see how Ohtani didn't know about it.

I think it's 99.9% he knew and it wasn't stolen.

He did something really stupid. In reality, he should have gone immediately to MLB Security.

Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Jeffrey » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:50 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:I read somewhere that at some point Ohtani's mom used to handle his finances and gave him 1k allowance per month LOL which is a good thing for a young guy that doesn't want to go broke at the end of his career.

I think it's 99.9% he knew and it wasn't stolen.

He did something really stupid. In reality, he should have gone immediately to MLB Security.

Ohtani knew and he was probably willing to pay for it. Cris Carter's famous quote, “If you all got a crew, you got to have a fall guy in the crew”
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#15 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
SOUL wrote:This is very wrong as far as what the findings are so far, but people love to run with conspiracies.

My question:

My gut feeling is that Ohtani knows more than he claims and actually did wire the money personally. The feds probably already know the truth so if he thinks that he can lie to wash his hands of this, he is sorely mistaken.

Ohtani’s camp put out two contradictory statements on whether he gave the $4.5M to the interpreter.

Also, do know for certain that it wasn’t baseball that was bet on? I’m just asking for you Ohtani fans out there.
Free Palestine
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#16 » by SOUL » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:51 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:If the above is the true story, most likely, Ohtani was probably ignorant to US federal law (which wouldn't be far fetched) and tried to bail out his friend. However, it was to his detriment because now he may have possibly committed a crime. That's the part that people need to key in on, and not the speculation that Ohtani is Pete Rose 2.0

Yep, exactly.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:36 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

My question:

Ohtani’s camp put out two contradictory statements on whether he gave the $4.5M to the interpreter.

Also, do know for certain that it wasn’t baseball that was bet on? I’m just asking for you Ohtani fans out there.

The contradictory statements are the problem.

I think that Ohtani's camp had no clue that wiring money to a bookie that is off the books runs afoul of federal law.

Once someone, most likely Dodgers Legal, told them that they f*cked up, they switched up and said that Translator guy stole the money.

Again. Ohtani's the one who put himself at risk by wiring that money. You can't play with that kinda stuff man, the IRS wants their piece.

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,936

Post#18 » by F N 11 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:58 am

This would be wild
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#19 » by moocow007 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:17 pm

There's a reason that Manfred has said he doesn't want to continue on as the Commissioner once his current contract expires. In the unlikely scenario where Ohtani is found to be involved in wrong doing, it's going to set the baseball word on fire (not in a good way).
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Jeffrey » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:47 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
My question:

The contradictory statements are the problem.

I think that Ohtani's camp had no clue that wiring money to a bookie that is off the books runs afoul of federal law.

Once someone, most likely Dodgers Legal, told them that they f*cked up, they switched up and said that Translator guy stole the money.

Again. Ohtani's the one who put himself at risk by wiring that money. You can't play with that kinda stuff man, the IRS wants their piece.

So now in his harshest statement regarding his translator that he stole money to pay back the bookie in increments of 500k, 9 times?!

Any rich people here, can let me know if y'all don't look at your bank statements or have a financial guru for this?! Just in case if I win the billion dollar powerball.

Return to New York Knicks