ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Refs help the new NBA Goldenboy Flopper beat Knicks despite Brunson's 61 point game.

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,118

Re: PG: Refs help the new NBA Goldenboy Flopper beat Knicks despite Brunson's 61 point game. 

Post#241 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:11 am

robillionaire wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
He was -251 starting on the pistons which I know they’re bad but it is the 2nd worst on their team this year behind Duren at -263. Also he racked up his -251 in a mere 28 games, Duren needed 56 games to get to his -263. Just to paint a picture of how deeply negative he was

Also, he’s a -70 here which is far and away the worst on the team

When did this man last contribute to winning basketball

In Utah?

Looks like he was fairly positive there. I guess father time showed up

First Thibs season?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,670

Re: PG: Refs help the new NBA Goldenboy Flopper beat Knicks despite Brunson's 61 point game. 

Post#242 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:22 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

These people are paid to talk about basketball too. The advanced stats were screaming out that the guy was better than his season stats, and you didn't even need to use them since he showed out against the Jazz without Luka. It was painfully obvious that he would be a 20+ppg scorer with more touches and if his three point shot could improve he'd be a star, which it did. They are embarrassing and should neve talk about the NBA.

yeah, i didnt want brunson until i saw what he did in the playoffs without luka. i came on board with him since then. it seemed obvious he was going to be good for us. i was very vocal on the GB he was going to be good once we signed him and all the raptors fans got mad when i said i would easily take him over fred van felton. maybe i should bump that thread again.

I could understand people not wanting him before the playoffs, a lot of people thought he was a biproduct of Luka, but the stats were saying he was an iso scorer that got his own with or without Luka. Once he gave Donovan work and paid leave it should have squashed any doubts on what he was. The bare minimum was 20ppg scorer which was better than anything we've had, I thought he'd be good but he's exceeded even my expectations. I liked Fred, but Brunson is just a level above him, I think he's right at top 10 status and easily the best guard in the East.

I’m not sure our FO knew that about Brunson either. We spent an awful lot of time trying to go after Mitchell. Same for a lot of posters here including me. And the league, which let him fall all the way to the 2nd round. Brunson has really earned his success.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,367

Post#243 » by stuporman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:44 am

I reluctantly rewatched the end of this game a couple of times and am even more flabbergasted at the soft foul calls given to Wemby, even one when he tripped over his own feet and should have been a travel compared to the significantly more contact Brunson had to finish through without any calls.

The nonsensical jump ball violation the refs literally stealing away possessions at the end of a tightly contested game. Oh and anyone criticizing Mitch fighting through tweaking his ankle to get crucial offensive rebounds and points to put the Knicks in a position to win the game need to grow a pair.

Although, even with all of that against them they had two opportunities to win the game and missed the shots. That's the hardest part of it, they fought back from more than 20 down to give themselves a chance to win the game and just missed the shots. Brutal, absolutely brutal.

It's just one game though even if between that loss and the Bucks win tonight erased any chance of the 2nd seed and now have to fight it out to get the 3rd seed so avoid the Boston bracket. If OG and/or Randle don't come back playing well for the playoffs, it won't matter anyway.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Post#244 » by Reign23 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:03 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:OG ruled out again. This is starting to get ridiculous

Yeah at this point its worrisome.

the upcoming contract certainly is...
formerly known as knickst4pe
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 17,645

Post#245 » by Im Coming Home » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:57 pm

We need someone to make the new Game thread. Come on Ya'll stop slacking.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,627

Post#246 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:30 pm

stuporman wrote:I reluctantly rewatched the end of this game a couple of times and am even more flabbergasted at the soft foul calls given to Wemby, even one when he tripped over his own feet and should have been a travel compared to the significantly more contact Brunson had to finish through without any calls.

The nonsensical jump ball violation the refs literally stealing away possessions at the end of a tightly contested game. Oh and anyone criticizing Mitch fighting through tweaking his ankle to get crucial offensive rebounds and points to put the Knicks in a position to win the game need to grow a pair.

Although, even with all of that against them they had two opportunities to win the game and missed the shots. That's the hardest part of it, they fought back from more than 20 down to give themselves a chance to win the game and just missed the shots. Brutal, absolutely brutal.

It's just one game though even if between that loss and the Bucks win tonight erased any chance of the 2nd seed and now have to fight it out to get the 3rd seed so avoid the Boston bracket. If OG and/or Randle don't come back playing well for the playoffs, it won't matter anyway.

I know eventually he'd get these calls, and the way the NBA is run, he'd deserve them.

In the past, players had to earn, at least pay some rookie dues.

Now the NBA just gifts guys that status out of the gate.

Oh well, that's entertainment!
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#247 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:38 pm

Not to me.

At this point I've moved on to wondering if his career is over. It's clear he's not playing again this season and has been for at least a week.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#248 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:38 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:We need someone to make the new Game thread. Come on Ya'll stop slacking.

You insisted so I helpfully made one
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,583

Post#249 » by FrozenEnvelope » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:26 pm

stuporman wrote:I reluctantly rewatched the end of this game a couple of times and am even more flabbergasted at the soft foul calls given to Wemby, even one when he tripped over his own feet and should have been a travel compared to the significantly more contact Brunson had to finish through without any calls.

I watched a Brunson highlight of his 61 and there were 3 drives where he got bumped and still made the shot in the 4th and OT. That's potentially 9 points which would have given him 70. Zebras clearly don't respect him.
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,583

Post#250 » by FrozenEnvelope » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:28 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

Not to me.

At this point I've moved on to wondering if his career is over. It's clear he's not playing again this season and has been for at least a week.

It is what it is. If we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all. Even if Randle and OG come back they won't be the same. Winning a playoff round seems to be the highest accomplishment we can achieve this season.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#251 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:00 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Not to me.

It is what it is. If we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all. Even if Randle and OG come back they won't be the same. Winning a playoff round seems to be the highest accomplishment we can achieve this season.

Knicks should just pursue Mikal, so they always have a defensive wing available. And either let OG sign somewhere else, or have both and then deal Randle and picks for Towns, if there is any truth to that.

Trade Mitch too.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#252 » by stuporman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:29 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

I know eventually he'd get these calls, and the way the NBA is run, he'd deserve them.

In the past, players had to earn, at least pay some rookie dues.

Now the NBA just gifts guys that status out of the gate.

Oh well, that's entertainment!

After two years of nearly everyone in the media beating the drum that he's not that good, he's not a real superstar, he's not 1a, he's not on those other guys level it has to seep into the mindset of the refs because they aren't in a hermetically sealed bubble, they hear it.

He used to get more calls when he's fouled but it seems that when the league wanted to let some of the physicality happen after the AS break to help the defense he got lumped into the same group with the 'foul baiters' so they swallow their whistle on him now.

It's not like he is one of those baiters that constantly throw themselves into defenders and flails away expecting to get bailed out. He drives into the paint with a shifty dribble and pivoting that draws illegal contact from players, which he tries to finish through it. These are two different things.

It seems the refs have conflated the idea he isn't a true superstar so is relying on foul baiting tactics to get bailed out because he's not good enough, and they are tasked with cleaning up that baiting so have taken away and penalize him for the skills that actually makes him a star.

I hope they do eventually give him the respect of calling the actual fouls on him but it's frustrating as a fan to watch how inconsistently they call different players and different teams in the same game. I feel like Thibs just wanting consistency.
Image?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#253 » by stuporman » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:32 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:

I watched a Brunson highlight of his 61 and there were 3 drives where he got bumped and still made the shot in the 4th and OT. That's potentially 9 points which would have given him 70. Zebras clearly don't respect him.

If he made the shots, it would have been potentially another 3 points, not 9...but still enough to get to 64...but I hear ya.
Image?

Return to New York Knicks