ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoff Seeding Thread: The race for 2nd

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,153

Re: Playoff Seeding Thread: The race for 2nd 

Post#21 » by moocow007 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:13 pm

sol537 wrote:Would rather face CLE, ORL, Indy, or MIL in the 1st round over Miami or Philly. I think Miami and Philly would be tougher outs due to their experience, coaching, etc. So... yeah... I wouldn't mind "tanking" a game at the end if it puts us out of reach of those teams.

Definitely Cleveland as I think the Knicks has their number and matchup well against them.

Orlando I'm not so sure about as their style of play seems to give the Knicks problems. Same with Indy. Sure with Orlando there's the inexperience factor but you never know if that will kick in and how much it would negatively impact them.

As far as Philly goes? If Mitch is back at 100% I think we have a good matchup. He seems to be the one guy that can handle Embiid or at least make Embiid work. I think Embiid even said as much in the past. In the past when Mitch was on him, it didn't seem that Embiid was as all dominating as he normally is.

Milwaukee? I said this to a buddy. I don't think the tandem of Giannis and Lillard is working. Doesn't seem like there's a chemistry and they don't seem to play off one another real well. The numbers may say otherwise, but it almost looks like they take turns with the ball and when one guy has it the other guy isn't really involved. As much as Giannis is a perennial MVP type I would think they they might be better off with Lillard dictating the tempo and touching the ball (cause Lillard really can't do anything else real well) and have Giannis focus more of cuts and finishes off of passes on the offensive end (rather than running the ball through him the majority of the time like they've been pretty much forced to do in the past).

Miami? Yeah lol. I wan't nothing to do with Miami for as long as possible come playoff time.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,577

Post#22 » by Wildcat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:21 pm

Big games tonight. I think Miami and Philly are locked in at the 7/8. Dallas is playing too well, so I can't see them dropping to Miami. And Indiana has the easier schedule, so I can't see Philly catching up. Cleveland has Memphis tonight. But, if they lose and the Knicks win out the rest of their games, we're looking at New York/Cleveland series. I'm not afraid of the Pacers, but an easy 1st round is an easy 1 round.

The Bucks and Magics game is terribly interesting to me. Sounds like Giannis is out until the playoffs. The Bucks play the Magic twice and OKC. Not hard to imagine them losing all 3 of these games. The Knicks need to win their next 3 to secure the 3rd Seed, but if the Bucks lose all their 3, 2/3 is still in play.

What an incredibly fascinating end to the season.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#23 » by Wildcat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:24 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:Updated the thread.

Biggest game tonight is Bucks vs Magic. Giannis should probably sit. Expecting the Cavs to beat the Grizzlies, but if they lose, it's gonna up the drama for the last few spots.

Giannis is missing the rest of the regular season. Bucks have the harder schedule with Magic twice and OKC. They can very easily go 0-3.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#24 » by Wildcat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:30 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:The Sixers are scary with a healthy Embiid...

When we are healthy we are even scarier....

Gotta stop using regular season as a basis for playoffs. They have more scoring options than us, and Embiid has come back looking like nothing happened to him.

They should be avoided as a first round matchup, would much rather play Magic, Heat or Pacers over the team with an MVP and all-star guard.

Philly benefitting from an easy schedule with Joel back. He's taking advantage of teams with weak interior D aside from Miami. Though, I think they are and Miami are locked in at the 7/8 spot. Pacers have the easier schedule, so I can't see them dropping below 6. I actually think they might gain ground on the Cavs. The best matchup for the Knicks is the Cavs, but if the Knicks grab the 2 Seed, I'm not looking at Miami/Philly any differently.

But also, this'll probably happen:

Read on Twitter

And while he came back to the game, it reminds you that he's likely going to have another injury.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,504

Post#25 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:41 pm

Wildcat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Gotta stop using regular season as a basis for playoffs. They have more scoring options than us, and Embiid has come back looking like nothing happened to him.

They should be avoided as a first round matchup, would much rather play Magic, Heat or Pacers over the team with an MVP and all-star guard.

Philly benefitting from an easy schedule with Joel back. He's taking advantage of teams with weak interior D aside from Miami. Though, I think they are and Miami are locked in at the 7/8 spot. Pacers have the easier schedule, so I can't see them dropping below 6. I actually think they might gain ground on the Cavs. The best matchup for the Knicks is the Cavs, but if the Knicks grab the 2 Seed, I'm not looking at Miami/Philly any differently.

Read on Twitter

And while he came back to the game, it reminds you that he's likely going to have another injury.

He had 29 against Bam, he's back to nearly 100%, whether he gets reinjured is up in the air but the same thing could be said about OG. The point is, they have more scoring options if he's out there, and they play defense, it's not a good matchup and among the worst first round draws we could get. The Pacers don't play a hint of defense, the Magic are young, the Cavs are soft and the OG on Jimmy really impacts what they can do on offense. I see Miami and Philly different because the Sixers have the higher ceiling.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#26 » by Wildcat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:30 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He had 29 against Bam, he's back to nearly 100%, whether he gets reinjured is up in the air but the same thing could be said about OG. The point is, they have more scoring options if he's out there, and they play defense, it's not a good matchup and among the worst first round draws we could get. The Pacers don't play a hint of defense, the Magic are young, the Cavs are soft and the OG on Jimmy really impacts what they can do on offense. I see Miami and Philly different because the Sixers have the higher ceiling.

Like I said, Miami is the exception since Joel's return. Teams with no real interior presence is making him look like he hasn't skipped a beat. I'm not worried about Joel when we have big men who can play D.

Either way, I agree. 1st Round, it's Cavs all the way. But I'm not afraid of the other potential matchups. Giannis' injury has made this exceptionally more interesting. Knicks could slid into the 2 Seed and end up facing either Miami or Philly.
knicks1999
Junior
And1: 124

Post#27 » by knicks1999 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:05 pm

Kind of torn tonight….the bucks lose…we could get that #2 spot and may end up with Miami of Philadelphia….the Magic lose we just about wrapped up the third seed:…and right now would play the pacers
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,041

Post#28 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:38 pm

knicks1999 wrote:Kind of torn tonight….the bucks lose…we could get that #2 spot and may end up with Miami of Philadelphia….the Magic lose we just about wrapped up the third seed:…and right now would play the pacers

How would you feel if Philly or Miami made the 6 seed?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
knicks1999
Junior
And1: 124

Post#29 » by knicks1999 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:02 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
knicks1999 wrote:Kind of torn tonight….the bucks lose…we could get that #2 spot and may end up with Miami of Philadelphia….the Magic lose we just about wrapped up the third seed:…and right now would play the pacers

Be tough for us without Randle
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,160

Post#30 » by sol537 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:44 pm

Philly is the only team I’d like it avoid in the first round. I would prefer them in the 2nd round instead.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:30 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

I'm not afraid of either of those teams. Pacers have too easy of a schedule, so I don't think they give up the seeding to Miami or Philly. Besides, I want Miami and Philly to go at each other in the play in.

It would be very interesting if Cleveland falls to the 6 and the Knicks secure the 3. Pacers have the tie-breaker on them. They lose tonight, they're the 6 Seed. In that scenario, that'll make you (me) a Bucks fan for the night. Let the Bucks have the 2 Seed and the Knicks need only go 2-1 to secure the 3, instead of 3-0 without relying on other teams.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#32 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:48 am

Looks like the Cavs are going to run away with it. That Friday game against the Pacers is going to be massively important.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,445

Post#33 » by Zenzibar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:09 am

Listen, there are no easy outs this year. Every team not on that elite level yet, who was expected to be better, did. Including us.

Having OG on this team is HUGE and the Knicks are probably playing their best team ball. Playing like a high level college championship team, this Villanova Knicks is a real thing, . Captain Brunson is just remarkable and gives me Derek Jeter vibes.

Again, having an elite defensive weapon like OG on Haliburton, Banchero or on Butler does wonders for our chances. Then Hartenstein has become an highly efficient offensive threat, so even Embiid would have to work harder.

Outside of the Celtics, we're right there with anybody.
Stop All Genocides
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,850

Post#34 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:24 am

Wildcat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Read on Twitter

Older players with knee cartilage issues are doomed. We need to stay away from Joel and Giannis.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,850

Post#35 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:37 am

OG's ready for the playoff. :nod:

Free Palestine
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,344

Post#36 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:41 am

damn did we just clinch the playoffs after tonight?
TKKnicks1
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,777

Post#37 » by TKKnicks1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:damn did we just clinch the playoffs after tonight?

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Read on Twitter
~I Believe!~
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,592

Post#38 » by RHODEY » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:00 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:The Sixers are scary with a healthy Embiid...

OK lets use the playoffs. Both teams made to to the 2nd round last season. Which team has improved the most since then? I don't believe our team should look to avoid any team. I think its a weak mindset to have....a non Knick mindset.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,626

Post#39 » by cgmw » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:29 am

Can one of you nerds remind me whether we have the tiebreaker vs Milwaukee? Because it sure looks like we might end up with the same record
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,777

Post#40 » by omerome » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:03 pm

cgmw wrote:Can one of you nerds remind me whether we have the tiebreaker vs Milwaukee? Because it sure looks like we might end up with the same record

If I'm not mistaken, they beat us 3/5 games, so they own the tiebreaker. And if it comes down to that, I am perfectly fine with it as we'd be the 3rd seed.

Return to New York Knicks