ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoff Seeding Thread: The race for 2nd

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,891

Re: Playoff Seeding Thread: The race for 2nd 

Post#41 » by aggo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:15 pm

we have two 7 footers for a reason

the Philly matchup is not to worry us

it doesn't matter who we play in the sense that, we dont win if brunson doesnt score anyway so there's no point in fretting about it.

but the worst matchups by far are Indiana and Miami. Indiana because they have a 5 that plays out to the 3pt line, neutralizing our help defense philosophy, and we are at opposite ends of so many other metrics like pace, d rtg, o rtg, I think you guys are massively underestimating how much variance that series could produce.

Miami is a bad matchup not just because they have an excellent coach, but they recently used a very smart gameplan against us to take brunson out of the game AND they have a space 5 also which draws out our paint defender.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,039

Post#42 » by Woodsanity » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:22 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:The Sixers are scary with a healthy Embiid...

When we are healthy we are even scarier....

Gotta stop using regular season as a basis for playoffs. They have more scoring options than us, and Embiid has come back looking like nothing happened to him.

They should be avoided as a first round matchup, would much rather play Magic, Heat or Pacers over the team with an MVP and all-star guard.

Embiid is a regular season merchant. Ain't no one afraid of him in the playoffs unless he gets the same phantom fouls he gets in the regular season.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#43 » by ctorres » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:22 pm

Giannis out for the season

We gotta get that 2nd seed and meet Boston in the ECF
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,480

Post#44 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:47 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Gotta stop using regular season as a basis for playoffs. They have more scoring options than us, and Embiid has come back looking like nothing happened to him.

They should be avoided as a first round matchup, would much rather play Magic, Heat or Pacers over the team with an MVP and all-star guard.

Embiid is a regular season merchant. Ain't no one afraid of him in the playoffs unless he gets the same phantom fouls he gets in the regular season.

In his last 34 playoff games he's averaging 26/11/3/2 on 48%, you can downplay that if you want, but they have two elite scoring options, we have 1.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#45 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:54 pm

RHODEY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

OK lets use the playoffs. Both teams made to to the 2nd round last season. Which team has improved the most since then? I don't believe our team should look to avoid any team. I think its a weak mindset to have....a non Knick mindset.

We're not actually on the team, our mindset doesn't impact games. I'm almost certain you were pointing out how we were 3-1 in the regular season against the Heat last year before we played them, at some point time you have to understand how playoff matchups work.

We're not at full strength while they are, they have two scoring options, we have one. As a fan, you should want to see them play teams that they matchup better with, because that means we get to see them play more, you being tough in the face of a playoff matchup means nothing, neither of us are on the team. I want to see them play anyone but the Heat or Sixers, because I want them to progress as far as possible in the playoffs, and playing either of those teams drops the odds.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,551

Post#46 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:55 pm

ctorres wrote:Giannis out for the season

2nd or 3rd Seed is all the Knicks need to avoid Boston in the semis. Bucks would have to go 0-3 and the Knicks 3-0 for the 2nd Seed. They play OKC and Orlando. I don't think they'll drop both those games.

Knicks just need to go 2-1 to secure the 3rd Seed. Doable with the Nets and Bulls coming up. I prefer they win tonight. Friday's games are going to be big. There's a world where Knicks can face the Cavs or Magics as the 3/6. Indiana plays Cleveland and Orlando plays Philly. I believe the Pacers have the tie-breaker with those 3 teams, so they could jump to the 4th Seed.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,039

Post#47 » by Woodsanity » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:02 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

In his last 34 playoff games he's averaging 26/11/3/2 on 48%, you can downplay that if you want, but they have two elite scoring options, we have 1.

And thats waaaaaaaaaaaaay lower than his regular season averages. Embiid barely scares me even in the regular season let alone the playoffs.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,575

Post#48 » by RHODEY » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:03 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

OK lets use the playoffs. Both teams made to to the 2nd round last season. Which team has improved the most since then? I don't believe our team should look to avoid any team. I think its a weak mindset to have....a non Knick mindset.

We're not actually on the team, our mindset doesn't impact games. I'm almost certain you were pointing out how we were 3-1 in the regular season against the Heat last year before we played them, at some point time you have to understand how playoff matchups work.

We're not at full strength while they are, they have two scoring options, we have one. As a fan, you should want to see them play teams that they matchup better with, because that means we get to see them play more, you being tough in the face of a playoff matchup means nothing, neither of us are on the team. I want to see them play anyone but the Heat or Sixers, because I want them to progress as far as possible in the playoffs, and playing either of those teams drops the odds.

I thought you were referring to the Team's Mind set. But as a fan, I'm not worried who we play, so much as HOW we play. But ofcourse fans want favorable matchups and that's cool too.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,575

Post#49 » by RHODEY » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:06 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

We have 2 elite defensive options....they have none? :D
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,762

Post#50 » by Fat Kat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,157

Post#51 » by stuporman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:27 pm

It's crazy how tight the race in the east is even with most teams having 2 games left so much can change because of head to head match ups. Indiana could pass the Cavs for 4th by beating them, 76ers can get back to 5th, Orlando could drop down to 6th after being a half game away from 2nd recently.

To be honest, with as close as the 2-8 seeds are in record there isn't much separation as far as 'tiers' between them. Anyone can beat anyone in a single game but it's really just going to come down to match ups in a series for which are the preferred opponents.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#52 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:46 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:

And thats waaaaaaaaaaaaay lower than his regular season averages. Embiid barely scares me even in the regular season let alone the playoffs.

He has two playoff runs of 26.2 and 26.6, so you're not really helping your case here wood. They have two 20ppg scorers, you guys aren't being realistic.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#53 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:47 pm

RHODEY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:

Embiid is an elite defender, and our centers that can't shoot allow him to just camp in the paint. I see why Team villain exists now.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,135

Post#54 » by sol537 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:43 pm

Bucks are tanking for 3rd… dang
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,612

Post#55 » by El Poochio » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:09 pm

Pacers would be a good matchup, time to get revenge

Even if you draw Sixers at least you get HCA against Bucks, either way avoiding Celtics til finals is the best outcome

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#56 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:49 pm

sol537 wrote:Bucks are tanking for 3rd… dang

Hah, if that's true, it could backfire because 76ers could end up the 6th Seed and Cavs/Magic/Pacers (likely Cavs/Magic) could end up the 7th.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#57 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:53 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Embiid is an elite defender, and our centers that can't shoot allow him to just camp in the paint. I see why Team villain exists now.

I-Hart and other similar big men have proven you don't need to be a shooter against Joel. That's poor defense to drop coverage and allow I-Hart clean passes.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#58 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:07 pm

Wildcat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:We have 2 elite defensive options....they have none? :D

I-Hart and other similar big men have proven you don't need to be a shooter against Joel. That's poor defense to drop coverage and allow I-Hart clean passes.

That's not true, he has dominated interior bigs in the playoffs, he averaged 30/13/4 against Capella while playing with a torn meniscus. What kills Embiid is guarding Cs that stretch the floor and can also defend him 1 v 1, it's why Gasol and Horford have done so well against him in the playoffs because he can't rest on defense, you have to attack him with shooting. If he isn't spaced out on defense he just camps in the lane and reserves energy for offense.

Also, I wouldn't doubt that Nurse would run a box and 1 against us with Melton/Lowry on Brunson all game while the rest of the team is zoned up, the same way he did against the Warriors and has done against Luka.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#59 » by Wildcat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:49 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

That's not true, he has dominated interior bigs in the playoffs, he averaged 30/13/4 against Capella while playing with a torn meniscus. What kills Embiid is guarding Cs that stretch the floor and can also defend him 1 v 1, it's why Gasol and Horford have done so well against him in the playoffs because he can't rest on defense, you have to attack him with shooting. If he isn't spaced out on defense he just camps in the lane and reserves energy for offense.

I'm not debating his points. Let him score his points. They still lost to the Hawks. The playoffs have shown me if you make Joel work on one end, he's not bringing it on the other end. Hawks' guard play roasted the 76ers. They drove, got to the line, and he had a couple of stretches of foul trouble. The big men on the Hawks held their own. And you fundamentally just camp in the paint. He doesn't camp the paint, anyway. If you're bringing Joel to the high post -- as I-Hart operates from -- he's pulled from the basket. No coach is going to allow I-Hart or any other passing big man clean angles. I-Hart's high post movement/plays are fundamentally spacing out the team.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,824

Post#60 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:09 am

ctorres wrote:Giannis out for the season

:o

Damaged goods. Stay away! Warning Will Robinson. Danger ahead! Danger ahead!

Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks