ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,383
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread 

Post#81 » by BKlutch » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:38 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
I'm on the run it back train. Have to see what they actually have with Randle.

I normally don't get deep into this stuff until after the season is over. Then I find out cap hits and the rest. Just looking at a run it back scenario with Thibs as the HC.

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

Who do we replace? We don't even know what the cap would look like after OG gets a deal. We know the most we can pay iHart. Precious might not make the cut depending on cap issues.

I have been saying since last summer that we might not make a star trade until next year's deadline if at all. Time will tell. I give this FO complete trust to make sense of it all and do what makes the most sense. We just went through the most winning in 4 consecutive years than we have during any stretch in the 20 previous years. They seem to know what they are doing, even with a few missteps. 4 seed 5 seed 2 seed three of the last four years. Let that sink in a minute. We won 21 games the year before that. :o

Those parts fit very nicely together.

I guess we could conceivably work out a trade of Randle for KAT but that would shock me. Thibs loves Julius.

Looking at that list, the one place we are a bit short is SG. I know, Deuce can play both guard roles, but what if one of the other guards goes down for a month? Who do we play -- Charlie Brown, Shake? Could this board even tolerate Burks? We need to be stronger at that last guard backup position.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,311

Post#82 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:50 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
I normally don't get deep into this stuff until after the season is over. Then I find out cap hits and the rest. Just looking at a run it back scenario with Thibs as the HC.

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

Who do we replace? We don't even know what the cap would look like after OG gets a deal. We know the most we can pay iHart. Precious might not make the cut depending on cap issues.

I have been saying since last summer that we might not make a star trade until next year's deadline if at all. Time will tell. I give this FO complete trust to make sense of it all and do what makes the most sense. We just went through the most winning in 4 consecutive years than we have during any stretch in the 20 previous years. They seem to know what they are doing, even with a few missteps. 4 seed 5 seed 2 seed three of the last four years. Let that sink in a minute. We won 21 games the year before that. :o

I guess we could conceivably work out a trade of Randle for KAT but that would shock me. Thibs loves Julius.

Looking at that list, the one place we are a bit short is SG. I know, Deuce can play both guard roles, but what if one of the other guards goes down for a month? Who do we play -- Charlie Brown, Shake? Could this board even tolerate Burks? We need to be stronger at that last guard backup position.

So, upgrade the bench. That's more likely than a star trade IMO.

KAT is the the only big move I see as possible. What MIGHT Minny want? I don't see it being player based but, Randle would have to go in that deal. Randle/Bogs and picks? I don't see anything else out there and right now, I don't even care. If we had Randle healthy the last few months we might not even be having this discussion. We are the 2 seed. There's only so much we can/should do to improve on that.

Let's see what the playoffs bring first. Then we can save this discussion for the long off season. We might be champions by then!!!
:beer: RIP mags
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,090

Post#83 » by Jeffrey » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:04 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Those parts fit very nicely together.

KAT is the the only big move I see as possible. What MIGHT Minny want? I don't see it being player based but, Randle would have to go in that deal. Randle/Bogs and picks? I don't see anything else out there and right now, I don't even care. If we had Randle healthy the last few months we might not even be having this discussion. We are the 2 seed. There's only so much we can/should do to improve on that.

Let's see what the playoffs bring first. Then we can save this discussion for the long off season. We might be champions by then!!!

I would love KAT and if Minny wants to avoid that 2nd apron, getting Randle is essential.

But for Knicks perspective, maybe they don't want to hit the 2nd apron because Randle and Brunson are eligible for extensions. They will both want extensions.

If we get to the conference finals without Randle, it will show that we might need prototypical 4. Would y'all entertain Bridges for Randle? Bridges is hovering around the 25m for a few more years and we get to kick can the road. Nets get a 2x All-NBA player and we get another switchable top tier defender.

Brunson | Deuce
DDV |
Bridges | Hart
OG | Bogdanovic
iHart | new backup | Sims
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#84 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:10 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Looking at that list, the one place we are a bit short is SG. I know, Deuce can play both guard roles, but what if one of the other guards goes down for a month? Who do we play -- Charlie Brown, Shake? Could this board even tolerate Burks? We need to be stronger at that last guard backup position.

I would love KAT and if Minny wants to avoid that 2nd apron, getting Randle is essential.

But for Knicks perspective, maybe they don't want to hit the 2nd apron because Randle and Brunson are eligible for extensions. They will both want extensions.

If we get to the conference finals without Randle, it will show that we might need prototypical 4. Would y'all entertain Bridges for Randle? Bridges is hovering around the 25m for a few more years and we get to kick can the road. Nets get a 2x All-NBA player and we get another switchable top tier defender.

Brunson | Deuce
DDV |
Bridges | Hart
OG | Bogdanovic

Bridges for Randle? No picks? That's reasonable conversation. I would consider that. Let's see how we look in the playoffs without Randle first. What happened to Mitch? I'm not trading Mitch AND Randle for Bridges.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,090

Post#85 » by Jeffrey » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:37 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Brunson | Deuce
DDV |
Bridges | Hart
OG | Bogdanovic

Bridges for Randle? No picks? That's reasonable conversation. I would consider that. Let's see how we look in the playoffs without Randle first. What happened to Mitch? I'm not trading Mitch AND Randle for Bridges.

No way you trade Mitch and Randle for Bridges. Randle is a 2x All-NBA with a great contract. I would trade Mitch in a separate deal.

I was thinking of Bridges + SRP or FRP (protected) for Randle. Randle is the better player here.

Nets can go and get Donovon Mitchell if he really wants to be in NY.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#86 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:43 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

Brunson | Deuce
DDV |
Bridges | Hart
OG | Bogdanovic

No way you trade Mitch and Randle for Bridges. Randle is a 2x All-NBA with a great contract. I would trade Mitch in a separate deal.

I was thinking of Bridges + SRP or FRP (protected) for Randle. Randle is the better player here.

Nets can go and get Donovon Mitchell if he really wants to be in NY.

Nets don't have any picks to trade. :lol:
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#87 » by sol537 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:46 pm

Nets could be wise to send Bridges to NYK for Randle and then use some of their other assets to grab Spida to pair with Randle. A 3-way could make sense.

Alternatively, a 3-way where we send out Mitch + Duece and get back Bridges while Brooklyn also gets Spida could work. Lots of possibilities....

Then you got the specter of Giannis demanding a trade... a juicy next 12 months incoming (playoffs + draft + free agency + start of new season + next trade deadline.... Leon Rose is ready!)
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,135

Post#88 » by moocow007 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:50 pm

I think more so than at any time in recent memory, fit is going to be critical for this team in terms of who they add.

As far as who "fits"? That's not as easy a question to answer as some may think. There's several significant moving parts that could impact what player or players that are not currently not on this team would "fit".

The two significant moving parts obviously are OG and Hartenstein.

With OG the Knicks have a bit more control as they can give him more than any other team. Question is, how much do they want to give OG? With Hartenstein not only do you have the "how much" but there's also the restriction on what the Knicks can offer him that could very well cause him to leave.

Best case scenario is the Knicks get both OG and Hartenstein back and Randle returns to full health. At that point, you can argue that the Knicks may not really need to make that superstar trade. Worse case scenario where both leave would pretty much force the Knicks to look to land a significant impact talent.

Obviously, also how far the Knicks go in this playoffs will also impact who they "need" to go after. If they get bounced early then I think we're back again to looking to add a superstar. If they make it deep or all the way, then it's more improving the supporting staff.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,550

Post#89 » by Wildcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:30 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:I normally don't get deep into this stuff until after the season is over. Then I find out cap hits and the rest. Just looking at a run it back scenario with Thibs as the HC.

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

I'm not worried about cap implications if this is the team the Knicks are committed to. There's suppose to be a big jump in a year or two, if I'm remembering correctly. Pieces like Precious and Bogs are more or less interchangeable. I mean, Bogs is making 20 right now. They can probably find someone to replace him on a cheaper deal.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#90 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:51 pm

I don't really want to get into this stuff because I want to focus on the playoff run more than big picture stuff but, I don't think there is a number that the Knicks truly should not go to for OG. Given what his impact has been not only on our record but, how he was basically the fuse being lit for the dynamite that was our best high usage players.

I mean seriously go look at the net ratings for both Brunson and Randle with and without OG on the floor. We go from just a good to ok team to literally an unstoppable force when he's paired with our best players. Combine that with the fact that you're paying for his best years as well. This shouldn't even be any sort of question. OG needs to be a Knick long term.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#91 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:06 pm

Wildcat wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:I normally don't get deep into this stuff until after the season is over. Then I find out cap hits and the rest. Just looking at a run it back scenario with Thibs as the HC.

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

I'm not worried about cap implications if this is the team the Knicks are committed to. There's suppose to be a big jump in a year or two, if I'm remembering correctly. Pieces like Precious and Bogs are more or less interchangeable. I mean, Bogs is making 20 right now. They can probably find someone to replace him on a cheaper deal.

I don't worry about cap implications but, it's necessary to know what we have to spend so...yeah. I'll wait until the playoffs are over before I do the deep dive. We could already be champions by then!
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#92 » by Wildcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:37 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

I don't worry about cap implications but, it's necessary to know what we have to spend so...yeah. I'll wait until the playoffs are over before I do the deep dive. We could already be champions by then!

What they can spent is more or less irrelevant. They'll have use of their MLE this offseason. They're losing Burks and probably Jeffries (negligible money, but worth mentioning). If I had to guess their salary come October, I'd say they will be close to the 2nd apron, where once over it'll limit what they can do, such as using that MLE.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,785

Post#93 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:40 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Looking at that list, the one place we are a bit short is SG. I know, Deuce can play both guard roles, but what if one of the other guards goes down for a month? Who do we play -- Charlie Brown, Shake? Could this board even tolerate Burks? We need to be stronger at that last guard backup position.

Brunson | Deuce
DDV |
Bridges | Hart
OG | Bogdanovic

Great points about the second apron and getting some backup help at the 2. Burks will be gone so there’s our opening for that slot.

What about Shake Milton? Can he be that guy to backup Donte?
Free Palestine
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,905

Post#94 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

The 2 really is a minor problem IMO. Hart really can play 1-4. Deuce can play both guard spots. The wild card is that Euro-stash kid. If he can not only be an impact off the bench, but at times play with Brunson as needed... that will be huge.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#95 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 am

Wildcat wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

What they can spent is more or less irrelevant. They'll have use of their MLE this offseason. They're losing Burks and probably Jeffries (negligible money, but worth mentioning). If I had to guess their salary come October, I'd say they will be close to the 2nd apron, where once over it'll limit what they can do, such as using that MLE.

In order to have a discussion about what they could or should do...one would need to know what they have to work with. So what they can spend is completely relevant to the discussion. What they can give iHart is known, what they give OG is not. What they have left after signing both matters after that. Do they have enough to keep Precious? Etc etc, it is completely relevant. You may want to guess right now. I do not care to entertain guesses when we have playoffs still on the way to talk about.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,990

Post#96 » by Richard4444 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:09 am

Wildcat wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

If I am not mistaken, if we use the Tax MLE, we get hard-capped in the second apron. We can not spend more than 190M give or take.

But if we are keeping the 8 players under contract (Brunson, Randle, Hart, Mitch, Donte, Bojan, Deuce, Sims), we will have barely 65M to pay OG, IHart, Tax MLE, Precious, Roskas, and the rookies (or replacements if we are dealing the 2024 picks).
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,990

Post#97 » by Richard4444 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:17 am

What to do with Randle next season? Trade, try to extend for cheap, give him a year to prove himself. His max will be 190/4.

It's expected we offer Brunson his max 160/4 and a similar deal to OG (I hope a little less 140/4).
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,709

Post#98 » by Knick4Real » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:22 am

Jalen Bluntson wrote:I don't care what they do. I expect Randle back healthy and a predominant run back of the same team. We are the 2 seed FFS. Without Randle for half the season. Are we really some mystery star trade away anymore? Sure it may put is over the top but, who and for what?

With the way things are looking in Minny, a KAT/Randle trade may be a possibility. I Don't see anything else that makes sense. DM? Doesn't make any sense to me. This is Brunson's team. I refuse to break up the Nova boys too so...what do we really need to do? Upgrade the bench? Re-sign OG/iHart and Precious if we have the money. I trust Leon and company to do what is the best for the future of this team.

I think this is the season the FO finally moves on from Julius. They've already set the table for a huge trade coming and Randle + picks + filler is a valuable trade package to make whatever move Leon is eyeing.

Also, this current "2nd in the East" KNICKS squad is different from the team Randle left. Julius slows down the game immensely. He takes a leisurely jog up the court and then pounds the ball until the final seconds before making a pass. He's also lax on D. This NEW team is lightning fast. The ball is constantly moving around the perimeter touching multiple hands. I'm not sure Julius can keep up.

The direction of this new team eventually outgrew RJ, IQ, and Grimes. Thibs also (finally) snatched Burks out of the rotation for being a poor fit. IMO I think Julius is next -- and it makes sense with the way this team is quickly evolving.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,659

Post#99 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:29 pm

Is there a way to bring in Jonathan Isaac? Small move but we can become the best defence in the world with him in stretches and I imagine he only costs small pieces like Jericho Sims or if we have some exceptions to bring him home.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#100 » by Wildcat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

In order to have a discussion about what they could or should do...one would need to know what they have to work with. So what they can spend is completely relevant to the discussion. What they can give iHart is known, what they give OG is not. What they have left after signing both matters after that. Do they have enough to keep Precious? Etc etc, it is completely relevant. You may want to guess right now. I do not care to entertain guesses when we have playoffs still on the way to talk about.

Which goes back to what I said about certain players being interchangeable. Regardless of what they offer OG and what I-Hart gets, they won't be a 2nd apron team. That's pretty evident based on years of how they've operated the finances.

Return to New York Knicks