ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Buttah304
Analyst
And1: 5,718

Re: Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread 

Post#201 » by Buttah304 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:00 pm

I don’t like the idea of Brunson Randle and DD all trying to work the mid range. Floor would get clogged.

Maybe in some alternate universe where he was willing to come off the bench while staggering at times could in theory work.

But let’s be real - he averaged 38min per game this past year and played 42min per game in their play ins.

I still love the upgrade of DDV to Spider. D Mitch was just as good if not better on defense, still can rack up some deflections and steals like Donte. His ability to create off the dribble though is from another universe in comparison. If you do it correctly - Brunson and DM could share the floor for 22-24min and separate them in other units to keep applying offensive pressure.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,168

Post#202 » by moocow007 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:04 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Get him this summer?

Should have got him this past winter.

Yeah at least Bogs is looking better lately but Derozan alone instead of Bogs and Burks, DD would have been killing it all this time. A better replacement for Randle's scoring

Yep exactly. And then they would have his Bird Rights so wouldn't have had to figure out some way to finagle a sign and trade.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,168

Post#203 » by moocow007 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Get him this summer?

Eh, we are just fine I think

That's what we thought heading into the playoffs in 2020-2021, heading into the playoffs in 2022-2023 and...anyone remember John Starks as the Robin going 2 for 11 against the Rockets or Ewing never having a real Robin? Or Carmelo and Brokeback Stat or JR McNugget as his 2nd option? This team is better than the Randle and Carmelo teams but that doesn't mean they are fine. Randle being injured last year and then going down completely this year are significant. Derozan would have made up for Randle.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#204 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:41 pm

moocow007 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Eh, we are just fine I think

That's what we thought heading into the playoffs in 2020-2021, heading into the playoffs in 2022-2023 and...anyone remember John Starks as the Robin going 2 for 11 against the Rockets or Ewing never having a real Robin? Or Carmelo and Brokeback Stat or JR McNugget as his 2nd option? This team is better than the Randle and Carmelo teams but that doesn't mean they are fine. Randle being injured last year and then going down completely this year are significant. Derozan would have made up for Randle.

Couple of things.

Right now is DeRozan a better fit for this team THIS POSTSEASON compared to Bojan? Most likely yes, but we do have a crippling need for shooters, particularly at the 4. So if we were under the belief that Randle was out for the year at the deadline and we were skiddish on OG being back, then getting a spread 4 might have been the bigger priority.

The price... I am pissed we lost Grimes, but he seems to have been damaged goods this year anyhow so in the narrow scope that is THIS POST SEASON, it seems his loss is not significant. either way he wasn't wearing a jersey. DDR would have cost more. Grimes + picks (probably at least 2, and probably better ones).

Long term consequence. In addition to being down draft assets to rent-a-rozan, we also would be down a big tradable contract. The belief is we are going big game hunting this summer again with one last shot with the war chest. Bojan is a 24ish mil EC that can be clumped with another piece for our target.

Lastly - what if Randle wasn't done. Brunson, DDR, Randle all operate in the same space. Add to that our center rotation and there would be a significant spacing issue.

DDR would be a nice piece to have right now for free. That's not what it would have cost us. Best-case would have been that we dealt something like Burks, Hartenstein(or Mitch) and 3 picks for Drummond (who Embiid eats like Zion does beignets) and DDR. I don't think that makes us a better team now OR later.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#205 » by Wildcat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:16 pm

DDR only makes sense if he's accepting a bench role and greatly reduced minutes. I don't think he's at a place in his career where that's an option. If you're bringing in the same core with a healthy Randle, where does DeMar fit in? Mitch, Josh, Deuce, and him? That seems a bit off to me.

Same issue with the Lowry. He -- like DeMar -- is going to want sufficient minutes.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,908

Post#206 » by KnixinSix » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:28 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Eh, we are just fine I think

Couple of things.

Right now is DeRozan a better fit for this team THIS POSTSEASON compared to Bojan? Most likely yes, but we do have a crippling need for shooters, particularly at the 4. So if we were under the belief that Randle was out for the year at the deadline and we were skiddish on OG being back, then getting a spread 4 might have been the bigger priority.

The price... I am pissed we lost Grimes, but he seems to have been damaged goods this year anyhow so in the narrow scope that is THIS POST SEASON, it seems his loss is not significant. either way he wasn't wearing a jersey. DDR would have cost more. Grimes + picks (probably at least 2, and probably better ones).

Long term consequence. In addition to being down draft assets to rent-a-rozan, we also would be down a big tradable contract. The belief is we are going big game hunting this summer again with one last shot with the war chest. Bojan is a 24ish mil EC that can be clumped with another piece for our target.

Lastly - what if Randle wasn't done. Brunson, DDR, Randle all operate in the same space. Add to that our center rotation and there would be a significant spacing issue.

DDR would be a nice piece to have right now for free. That's not what it would have cost us. Best-case would have been that we dealt something like Burks, Hartenstein(or Mitch) and 3 picks for Drummond (who Embiid eats like Zion does beignets) and DDR. I don't think that makes us a better team now OR later.

Spidah, Booker (if available) or a stretch 5 like KAT are better fits.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#207 » by Wildcat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:39 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Couple of things.

Heh, on cue.

Hot take: I think Booker will melt under pressure in NY.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,759

Post#208 » by robillionaire » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:08 pm

Wildcat wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Couple of things.

Heh, on cue.

He hit a game winning 3 against us at the garden earlier this year I think he can handle it
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#209 » by Wildcat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:14 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

Heh, on cue.

He hit a game winning 3 against us at the garden earlier this year I think he can handle it

I have no data to back up what I said. Just a gut feeling.

Actually, let me walk that back. I just saw his stat line in elimination games. Very choky.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#210 » by sol537 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:20 pm

Spida gives us more offense, but less defense than Mikal.

How about a blockbuster trade sending Randle, Mitch, and pick(s) to New Orleans for Zion and Tre Murphy? I doubt they'd entertain that, but I love Tre Murphy's game that much... and Zion seems to need a change of scenery... badly.
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#211 » by bleedblue3303 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:28 am

Bridges or Bust. Bridges and OG playing D together would be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Plus
Hes a Nova guy
Tight with our players
Would fit in with our culture
and unselfish.
I think a Bridges overpay is the move
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#212 » by bleedblue3303 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:50 am

I am also worried about certain stars and our culture. We might have the best culture in the NBA. I have been a big anti-Thibs guy but he is proving me wrong. The team has found players who want to play in his system and his way. I would be scared a Mitchell, Giannias, Luka etc would complain about systems schemes practices etc. Bridges would fit right in.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#213 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:40 am

Buttah304 wrote:I don’t like the idea of Brunson Randle and DD all trying to work the mid range. Floor would get clogged.

Maybe in some alternate universe where he was willing to come off the bench while staggering at times could in theory work.

But let’s be real - he averaged 38min per game this past year and played 42min per game in their play ins.

I still love the upgrade of DDV to Spider. D Mitch was just as good if not better on defense, still can rack up some deflections and steals like Donte. His ability to create off the dribble though is from another universe in comparison. If you do it correctly - Brunson and DM could share the floor for 22-24min and separate them in other units to keep applying offensive pressure.

I think we can upgrade from Randle but lets be honest here. Brunson is getting blitzed and doubled at a much higher rate without Randle on the floor. Much higher rate.

The 10 or so games with OG Randle and Brunson on the floor were less clawing and scratching to win and flat out more dominant.

Does this mean Randle shouldn't be upgraded? No. If he was a better playoff performer sure. But I think it is pretty clear an elite scorer to take pressure off Brunson is sorely needed.

OG is not an elite scorer and lets not pretend he is going to turn into one either.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#214 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:45 am

bleedblue3303 wrote:I am also worried about certain stars and our culture. We might have the best culture in the NBA. I have been a big anti-Thibs guy but he is proving me wrong. The team has found players who want to play in his system and his way. I would be scared a Mitchell, Giannias, Luka etc would complain about systems schemes practices etc. Bridges would fit right in.

Bridges isn't the ideal or elite guy offensively but with his intangibles and two way game he might be a pretty close to ideal fit in Thibs system.

Wouldn't complain if we pulled Bridges off but the two most available guys this offseason seem like they will be (for now):

KAT due to that monstrous contract Minny can't afford under the new CBA and Donovan Mitchell who made it pretty clear he isn't resigning with Cleveland
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#215 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:51 pm

Buttah304 wrote:I don’t like the idea of Brunson Randle and DD all trying to work the mid range. Floor would get clogged.

Brunson, DDV, DeRozan, OG, KAT (+ Hartenstein to be able to move everyone else down a position) >>>>
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#216 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:59 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
bleedblue3303 wrote:I am also worried about certain stars and our culture. We might have the best culture in the NBA. I have been a big anti-Thibs guy but he is proving me wrong. The team has found players who want to play in his system and his way. I would be scared a Mitchell, Giannias, Luka etc would complain about systems schemes practices etc. Bridges would fit right in.

Bridges isn't the ideal or elite guy offensively but with his intangibles and two way game he might be a pretty close to ideal fit in Thibs system.

Wouldn't complain if we pulled Bridges off but the two most available guys this offseason seem like they will be (for now):

KAT due to that monstrous contract Minny can't afford under the new CBA and Donovan Mitchell who made it pretty clear he isn't resigning with Cleveland

Best bets for us:

1. Bridges
2. DeRozan
3. KAT
4. Mitchell

in that order imo. Doncic tops that list of everything goes south for Dallas though.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,523

Post#217 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 pm

Bulls aren’t letting DeRozan go that easily. They’ve given him a $80/2 offer already and DeRozan is negotiating for more.

Those guys haven’t even made an in-season trade in forever…hell, they’re now stuck with Lavine cause they refused to move him at this peak value
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,522

Post#218 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:16 pm

Booker please, after Suns get swept in the first round
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,289

Post#219 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:31 pm

I hope this dispels anyone’s yearning for us to trade for Embiid….i take Zion everytime heck id take Ingram over him
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,289

Post#220 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:47 pm

Wildcat wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Couple of things.

Heh, on cue.

agreed…if I could get Brandon Ingram for same price I would
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.

Return to New York Knicks