ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,467

Re: Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread 

Post#101 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:38 pm

I think the Knicks add KAT (most likely) or Booker. WWW has to justify his existence to the FO with his Kentucky connections
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,670

Post#102 » by Lord Commander » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:54 pm

I don't like the idea of Randle in Brooklyn (for Mikal); it feels grimy and Karma is a bitch. I could see him abusing us LOL
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,583

Post#103 » by Wildcat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
I don't worry about cap implications but, it's necessary to know what we have to spend so...yeah. I'll wait until the playoffs are over before I do the deep dive. We could already be champions by then!

What they can spent is more or less irrelevant. They'll have use of their MLE this offseason. They're losing Burks and probably Jeffries (negligible money, but worth mentioning). If I had to guess their salary come October, I'd say they will be close to the 2nd apron, where once over it'll limit what they can do, such as using that MLE.

If I am not mistaken, if we use the Tax MLE, we get hard-capped in the second apron. We can not spend more than 190M give or take.

But if we are keeping the 8 players under contract (Brunson, Randle, Hart, Mitch, Donte, Bojan, Deuce, Sims), we will have barely 65M to pay OG, IHart, Tax MLE, Precious, Roskas, and the rookies (or replacements if we are dealing the 2024 picks).

Without resigning, Knicks salary is roughly 123 mil. 2nd apron is projected to be 190 mil. I think OG's deal is going to be 30-35 per (they don't and probably won't start him at his maximum salary in the 1st year). If they bring Precious back, I think it'll be about 8 mil. The Knicks don't have to the full MLE, either (might be wrong on that, though). The Knicks have operated with cap consciousness for years now, I think they continue in that trend.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,956

Post#104 » by Spree2Houston » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:05 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I think the Knicks add KAT (most likely) or Booker. WWW has to justify his existence to the FO with his Kentucky connections

Yeah I think it’s going to be KAT. A 50/40/90 Power forward/ Center. He’s a better fit next to Brunson.

Randle + Mitch for KAT
Bojan + picks for Bridges

Brunson/McBride
Divencenzo/Hart
Bridges/Hart
Anunoby/Precious
Towns/Hartenstein

Or we can start Hartenstein and Towns together and let Donte come off the bench

Brunson/McBride
Bridges/Divencenzo
Anunoby/Hart
Towns/Hart
Hartenstein/Precious
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,990

Post#105 » by Richard4444 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I think the Knicks add KAT (most likely) or Booker. WWW has to justify his existence to the FO with his Kentucky connections

Yeah I think it’s going to be KAT. A 50/40/90 Power forward/ Center. He’s a better fit next to Brunson.

Randle + Mitch for KAT

Brunson/McBride
Divencenzo/Hart
Bridges/Hart
Anunoby/Precious
Towns/Hartenstein

Brunson/McBride
Bridges/Divencenzo
Anunoby/Hart
Towns/Hart
Hartenstein/Precious

It's hard but doable. Brunson/Donte/OG/Mikal/Towns/Mcbride/Hart/IHart/Sims would cost us 180M give or take.

We would have to complete the roster with only 10M.

I do not think we could have Precious back. And we would have to get some cheap rookie scrubs because their minimum is lower.

Even Deuce would be hard to keep because he would be demanded in the Mikal trade.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#106 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:15 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:

Randle + Mitch for KAT

Brunson/McBride
Divencenzo/Hart
Bridges/Hart
Anunoby/Precious
Towns/Hartenstein

Brunson/McBride
Bridges/Divencenzo
Anunoby/Hart
Towns/Hart
Hartenstein/Precious

It's hard but doable. Brunson/Donte/OG/Mikal/Towns/Mcbride/Hart/IHart/Sims would cost us 180M give or take.

We would have to complete the roster with only 10M.

I do not think we could have Precious back. And we would have to get some cheap rookie scrubs because their minimum is lower.

Even Deuce would be hard to keep because he would be demanded in the Mikal trade.

That sounds incredible. I’d be happy with the addition of Bridges alone, but upgrading from Randle is great of course. Is KAT tough enough though? I’ll watch in the playoffs.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,856

Post#107 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm

Richard4444 wrote:What to do with Randle next season? Trade, try to extend for cheap, give him a year to prove himself. His max will be 190/4.

It's expected we offer Brunson his max 160/4 and a similar deal to OG (I hope a little less 140/4).

You left IHart out. Whats he getting?
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,153

Post#108 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 pm

Richard4444 wrote:What to do with Randle next season? Trade, try to extend for cheap, give him a year to prove himself. His max will be 190/4.

It's expected we offer Brunson his max 160/4 and a similar deal to OG (I hope a little less 140/4).

I don't see a need to try and extend him early unless he's willing to take another 4 year $114 million contract which he won't (see I'm not a Randle fanatic as some of you probably think). If he plays out next season and looks like a perfect Robin to Brunson's Batman then you give him whatever the market is worth. These are the Knicks so the money isn't an issue. And they will likely be capped out for quite the a long time once (and assuming if) OG and Hartenstein return on new contracts themselves.

Trade? I mean nobody's untouchable in the right deal. But we need to be careful and not fall into the "grass is greener on the other side, the other teams player is better" trap. We get to see all of Randle's faults and his inability to achieve what Brunson has doesn't mean that any other player that you bring in (whose faults we haven't seen up close and personal and who also hasn't achieved anything that Randle hasn't been able to on his own) is any better. Obviously this is specific to trade "discussions" as I'm sure the Knicks front office doesn't fall into that trap.
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#109 » by Richard4444 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:02 pm

moocow007 wrote:

I don't see a need to try and extend him early unless he's willing to take another 4 year $114 million contract which he won't (see I'm not a Randle fanatic as some of you probably think). If he plays out next season and looks like a perfect Robin to Brunson's Batman then you give him whatever the market is worth. These are the Knicks so the money isn't an issue. And they will likely be capped out for quite the a long time once (and assuming if) OG and Hartenstein return on new contracts themselves.

Trade? I mean nobody's untouchable in the right deal. But we need to be careful and not fall into the "grass is greener on the other side, the other teams player is better" trap. We get to see all of Randle's faults and his inability to achieve what Brunson has doesn't mean that any other player that you bring in (whose faults we haven't seen up close and personal and who also hasn't achieved anything that Randle hasn't been able to on his own) is any better.

Randle failed to show up in the playoffs 3 times!!!! (a bad performance, another bad performance due to injury, and a no-show).

In addition to that, we keep the flow in the regular season after his injury. It looks like he is not essential to the team after all.

Besides, he is not a great defender and a poor outside shooter.

He doesn't strike as a 50M/y kind of player in any way.

He will demand a 200M contract in 2025. Hitting 30 years old, getting injured more often and possibly declining.

Money can not be a huge concern to the Knicks after this season. But he can turn into an albatross contract in 2025 and be untradable. This season, he can still be an easy contract to be moved because he is expiring and relatively low.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,173

Post#110 » by sol537 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

I'm not a fan of KAT. Too soft and mentally weak.

I'd rather use Randle for better fish (ie Giannis).
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,404
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#111 » by BKlutch » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:30 pm

Wildcat wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
What they can spent is more or less irrelevant. They'll have use of their MLE this offseason. They're losing Burks and probably Jeffries (negligible money, but worth mentioning). If I had to guess their salary come October, I'd say they will be close to the 2nd apron, where once over it'll limit what they can do, such as using that MLE.

In order to have a discussion about what they could or should do...one would need to know what they have to work with. So what they can spend is completely relevant to the discussion. What they can give iHart is known, what they give OG is not. What they have left after signing both matters after that. Do they have enough to keep Precious? Etc etc, it is completely relevant. You may want to guess right now. I do not care to entertain guesses when we have playoffs still on the way to talk about.

Which goes back to what I said about certain players being interchangeable. Regardless of what they offer OG and what I-Hart gets, they won't be a 2nd apron team. That's pretty evident based on years of how they've operated the finances.

It's pretty certain that they sat down with OG and discussed the future contract when they signed him. That's how our FO works. They woulnd't likely sign him, then be totally shocked that they couldn't afford him the next season. They know too much about the cap and finances, and they are just to smart to screw that up. This was carefully planned and we'll all breathe easily next year when things work out well.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,509

Post#112 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:40 pm

This is the summer we get Mikal. That's my guess & also my personal wish.

Brunson
Mikal
OG
Randle
Hartenstein

Deuce
DDV
Hart
Bogs
Mitch
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,956

Post#113 » by Spree2Houston » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 pm

sol537 wrote:I'm not a fan of KAT. Too soft and mentally weak.

Giannis is going to require picks + Randle. KAT would only cost Randle and Mitch.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,895

Post#114 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:17 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
I'm on the run it back train. Have to see what they actually have with Randle.

I normally don't get deep into this stuff until after the season is over. Then I find out cap hits and the rest. Just looking at a run it back scenario with Thibs as the HC.

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

Who do we replace? We don't even know what the cap would look like after OG gets a deal. We know the most we can pay iHart. Precious might not make the cut depending on cap issues.

I have been saying since last summer that we might not make a star trade until next year's deadline if at all. Time will tell. I give this FO complete trust to make sense of it all and do what makes the most sense. We just went through the most winning in 4 consecutive years than we have during any stretch in the 20 previous years. They seem to know what they are doing, even with a few missteps. 4 seed 5 seed 2 seed three of the last four years. Let that sink in a minute. We won 21 games the year before that. :o

Those parts fit very nicely together.

I guess we could conceivably work out a trade of Randle for KAT but that would shock me. Thibs loves Julius.

Julius left CAA. Not mere coincidence. Follow the CAA trail.

Spidah
KAT
Embiid
Booker
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#115 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:23 pm

KATs salaries starting next year through 2028: $49,350,000 $53,298,000 $57,246,000 $61,194,000
He is also somewhat injury prone. I would love him here cause he is a 70 footer that shoot over 40% from 3, but I think Spidah is a better play.

I go in likelihood as Spidah #1 , Followed by KAT #2.

Minny will be desperate with their cap situation to shed his salary. Getting KAT would not be difficult. The preferred route however is Spidah due to better health and us structuring his next contract on our own terms vs swallowing KATs obscene contract.

And to match that 49M salary Randle absolutely HAS to be included. There is no other way unless you get rid of Mitchell Robinson and Bogdanovic and then quite a few other non Nova players.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#116 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:25 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
I normally don't get deep into this stuff until after the season is over. Then I find out cap hits and the rest. Just looking at a run it back scenario with Thibs as the HC.

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

Who do we replace? We don't even know what the cap would look like after OG gets a deal. We know the most we can pay iHart. Precious might not make the cut depending on cap issues.

I have been saying since last summer that we might not make a star trade until next year's deadline if at all. Time will tell. I give this FO complete trust to make sense of it all and do what makes the most sense. We just went through the most winning in 4 consecutive years than we have during any stretch in the 20 previous years. They seem to know what they are doing, even with a few missteps. 4 seed 5 seed 2 seed three of the last four years. Let that sink in a minute. We won 21 games the year before that. :o

Those parts fit very nicely together.

I guess we could conceivably work out a trade of Randle for KAT but that would shock me. Thibs loves Julius.

Looking at that list, the one place we are a bit short is SG. I know, Deuce can play both guard roles, but what if one of the other guards goes down for a month? Who do we play -- Charlie Brown, Shake? Could this board even tolerate Burks? We need to be stronger at that last guard backup position.

Exactly and thats where a combo guard like Spidah fits perfectly
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#117 » by Richard4444 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:

Giannis is going to require picks + Randle. KAT would only cost Randle and Mitch.

I am not sure about it. I think it will cost us a couple of picks plus Randle and Mitch.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#118 » by KnixinSix » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:38 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:

I am not sure about it. I think it will cost us a couple of picks plus Randle and Mitch.

Mitch would not need to go in a KAT trade bc Randle is a 25/10 scorer not far off from KAT quality wise. Also Minny needs relief from his albatross contract. It would be Randle and Bogs or Randle, Achiwa and other filler not including Robinson and a couple picks.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,153

Post#119 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Trade? I mean nobody's untouchable in the right deal. But we need to be careful and not fall into the "grass is greener on the other side, the other teams player is better" trap. We get to see all of Randle's faults and his inability to achieve what Brunson has doesn't mean that any other player that you bring in (whose faults we haven't seen up close and personal and who also hasn't achieved anything that Randle hasn't been able to on his own) is any better.

Randle failed to show up in the playoffs 3 times!!!! (a bad performance, another bad performance due to injury, and a no-show).

In addition to that, we keep the flow in the regular season after his injury. It looks like he is not essential to the team after all.

Besides, he is not a great defender and a poor outside shooter.

He doesn't strike as a 50M/y kind of player in any way.

He will demand a 200M contract in 2025. Hitting 30 years old, getting injured more often and possibly declining.

Money can not be a huge concern to the Knicks after this season. But he can turn into an albatross contract in 2025 and be untradable. This season, he can still be an easy contract to be moved because he is expiring and relatively low.

In 2020-2021 Randle was arguably on one of the least talented teams in the NBA (and we're talking about including lottery teams). He was the main reason they even made it to the playoffs in the first place. The Hawks head coach said quite openly and honestly when asked about what their game plan was to beat the Knicks was "throw everything at Randle and force someone else on that team to beat us". Seriously that's what he basically said without thinking and interspersed with a chuckle. So him failing when the Hawks basically threw 3 guys at him whenever he touched the ball isn't exactly a glowing reason to condemn him.

But ok, do you honestly believe that if the Knicks had Bridges instead of Randle that the Knicks would have even made the playoffs with that crap team Randle was surrounded with? If so then why didn't Bridges lead the Nets to a playoffs when he was there as their "best player"? What has Bridges done there in Brooklyn? Does Bridges have excuses for why not but Randle not?

Last season Randle was injured. As it came out, many have said that he probably shouldn't have even been playing. So are you going to blame him for intentionally getting injured last season and then intentionally coming back when not healthy so he look bad rather than just not playing and cashing his check? So we want to demonize him for wanting to try and help his team instead of just staying home and enjoying the time off like many other players probably would have? Because he couldn't pull a Willis Reed he's crap? The team could have said no.

EVERY PLAYER has weaknesses. Love how people only focus on Randle's weak points but not his strengths while simultaneously focusing only on the other teams players strengths and not their weaknesses. This is exactly what the "grass is greener" theory is for. The other guy always has the better thing...until you get that thing and see their weaknesses up close and personal. If Randle was a good defender and outside shooter he'd be a superstar. Which means there'd have been no way he'd ever had gotten on this team to begin with. So, no, he's not Lebron James, he's not Giannis, he's not Jokic, he's not any of those elite players. But that doesn't mean he's crap nor does it mean that Mikal Bridges is one or that they should trade Randle for him.

As far as money demands and that argument? The "fear" that Randle will be worth too much? If he plays at a level where he's worth the max then what's the problem? And why would that be different if Bridges was here instead? Because Bridges is willing to take less money? If so, what makes you believe that? He's making more money than Randle right now. So if he does better than Randle in NY (which is what you are basically guaranteeing) why wouldn't he ask for the super max as well? Why would he ask for less? Are you assuming that because Brunson took pocket change that, because Bridges knows Brunson and is a Nova boy that Bridges would also take less? I'm pretty sure if Brunson was a free agent at the end of this season that he would neither accept the same contract he signed with the Knicks nor would he have any problem getting just about any other team in the NBA interested in either signing him for the max or trading for him at the max.

As far as overall value, it's not hard to argue that Bridges hasn't shown he's worth a lot either.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,583

Post#120 » by Wildcat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:50 pm

What does an All-NBA and All Star player have to prove?

Return to New York Knicks