ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,894

Re: Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread 

Post#61 » by KnixinSix » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:02 pm

Wildcat wrote:
sol537 wrote:PG13 would be a nice rental for a season or two but long term Mikal is a better fit for many reasons

Paul isn't looking or a short term deal. He's looking for 3/4 year deal.

An older breaking down PG on a 3+ year deal? Ill pass no thank you.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,497

Post#62 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:28 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
Let me clarify some more. His on ball play is very tough on his body. You aren't talking about making him play it significantly more but just a little more to save wear and tear.

In the rotation I posted earlier.

Line-up (Minutes):
Mitchell Robinson(30), Precious Achiwa (18)
OG (25), Hart(13), Achiwa (10)
Hart (20), OG (8), Okoro(20)
D-Mitch(20), DDV (28)
Brunson(35), D-Mitch(13)

Spidah and Brunson play on the floor together for like 20 out of a possible 48 minutes. Of those 20 Brunson can play off ball saving additional abuse on his body for like 10 of those 20 minutes.

Folks are being way too black and white on this. Its much more nuanced than just Brunson is a great point so another backcourt player would be useless. Brunson can still be the clear alpha of this team and main point guard. And they have the personalities to mesh well together. This team would be SIGNIFICANTLY better with Spidah added to it.

Secondly the other options almost all fit in the too old, too injury prone or simply not available bucket. Could a surprise guy pop up and become available? Possibly. But make no mistake Spida would be an incredible addition and I believe the fit would be excellent for the reasons mentioned above and on other posts.

Your minute distribution is unworkable. Mitchell will want to start and they will both be playing 35-40 MPG.

I think your premise of sharing facilitation duties to be wishful thinking and not grounded in reality. Not trying to be insulting, but you're trying too hard to spin up a speculative use case for something that would never happen. Brunson is the man on this team and DM is not going to take a backseat to him. He's the one that would have to play off the ball.

Aside from that, DM is not a defender you'd want to start next to Brunson. Brunson's D is actually improving, but you should still have a bigger SG starting next to him. Deuce is acceptable as a fill-in at his size because he's a great defender, but DM clearly is not.

It's a bad fit. The team no longer needs DM. That ship has sailed. I wish some of you would get over it, because in terms of roster construction he is redundant and utterly pointless. Plugging in his scoring data doesn't mitigate that one bit and make trading for him any more logical.

If this the FO went and got DM I would support it as a fan due to their superior knowledge and now proven ability to construct a roster, but until that happens I believe this FO would not see DM as a fit any longer.

Lastly, Brunson is the superior player. Back when people were jonesing for DM he was still considered by some to the be alpha player of the two despite being outplayed TWICE already by Brunson in the playoffs. But now the gap is considerable. They are on two entirely different levels.

Gutting our roster in a trade for DM is just a bad idea.

The biggest irony about any of you still wanting to get DM is you already have your superstar player in Brunson. You used to think getting DM would be that guy, but here we are with that guy already and you're still trying to get a guy who is an an inferior version of Brunson to play next to him. Show some appreciation for what you're already got. We need to build around Brunson, not try to duplicate him.

It ABSOLUTELY does work. Mitchell would be the starting 2. However Mitch and Brun would only play about 20 of the 48 minutes together. Mitchell also would be our back up point.

This isnt about Mitchell being the alpha but a phenomenal Robin to Brunsons Batman.

Gutting the roster? We are doing absolutely dandy without Randle with a defensively elite OG in his spot. McBride is a nice little playet but obviously doesn't hold a candle vs Donovan Mitchell . Our FRPs are just sitting there and our plan isnt to use them to build up an already mostly set roster missing an adidtional young vet superstar.

We disagree, but the odds of DM becoming a Knick are now very low so I won't be pondering this any longer.
ImageImageImage
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by KnixinSix » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:48 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Your minute distribution is unworkable. Mitchell will want to start and they will both be playing 35-40 MPG.

I think your premise of sharing facilitation duties to be wishful thinking and not grounded in reality. Not trying to be insulting, but you're trying too hard to spin up a speculative use case for something that would never happen. Brunson is the man on this team and DM is not going to take a backseat to him. He's the one that would have to play off the ball.

Aside from that, DM is not a defender you'd want to start next to Brunson. Brunson's D is actually improving, but you should still have a bigger SG starting next to him. Deuce is acceptable as a fill-in at his size because he's a great defender, but DM clearly is not.

It's a bad fit. The team no longer needs DM. That ship has sailed. I wish some of you would get over it, because in terms of roster construction he is redundant and utterly pointless. Plugging in his scoring data doesn't mitigate that one bit and make trading for him any more logical.

If this the FO went and got DM I would support it as a fan due to their superior knowledge and now proven ability to construct a roster, but until that happens I believe this FO would not see DM as a fit any longer.

Lastly, Brunson is the superior player. Back when people were jonesing for DM he was still considered by some to the be alpha player of the two despite being outplayed TWICE already by Brunson in the playoffs. But now the gap is considerable. They are on two entirely different levels.

Gutting our roster in a trade for DM is just a bad idea.

The biggest irony about any of you still wanting to get DM is you already have your superstar player in Brunson. You used to think getting DM would be that guy, but here we are with that guy already and you're still trying to get a guy who is an an inferior version of Brunson to play next to him. Show some appreciation for what you're already got. We need to build around Brunson, not try to duplicate him.

It ABSOLUTELY does work. Mitchell would be the starting 2. However Mitch and Brun would only play about 20 of the 48 minutes together. Mitchell also would be our back up point.

This isnt about Mitchell being the alpha but a phenomenal Robin to Brunsons Batman.

Gutting the roster? We are doing absolutely dandy without Randle with a defensively elite OG in his spot. McBride is a nice little playet but obviously doesn't hold a candle vs Donovan Mitchell . Our FRPs are just sitting there and our plan isnt to use them to build up an already mostly set roster missing an adidtional young vet superstar.

We disagree, but the odds of DM becoming a Knick are now very low so I won't be pondering this any longer.

We are sitting on a TON of FRP assets. We are going to use them. It feels like this offseason is finally the boiling point. Between Randle moving away from CAA, Bogeys 20M expiring, McBride becoming a viable 3&D guy and 8 something FRPs in next 5 years we are in a very strong place for one of :

1. Spidah
2. Embiid
3. KAT
4. Anthony Davis
5. Lebron James
6. Booke5

How many of these guys are sub 30-31, CAA and not significantly injury prone? Just one with maybe 2 if Booker somehow pries free (unlikely).
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,497

Post#64 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:51 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

We are sitting on a TON of FRP assets. We are going to use them. It feels like this offseason is finally the boiling point. Between Randle moving away from CAA, Bogeys 20M expiring, McBride becoming a viable 3&D guy and 8 something FRPs in next 5 years we are in a very strong place for one of :

1. Spidah
2. Embiid
3. KAT
4. Anthony Davis
5. Lebron James
6. Booke5

How many of these guys are sub 30-31, CAA and not significantly injury prone? Just one with maybe 2 if Booker somehow pries free (unlikely).

KAT is the only name on that list that has any probability of happening. None of those other guys are ever likely to be Knicks
ImageImageImage
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#65 » by sol537 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:28 pm

Spida or Mikal have some chance of happening… not impossible.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#66 » by aggo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:52 pm

Unless it’s Randle for Spida, the dream is gone

We gonna pay OG 40m/yr

Spida can’t fit bc there’s no room in our cap once we resign OG
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by KnixinSix » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:23 am

aggo wrote:Unless it’s Randle for Spida, the dream is gone

We gonna pay OG 40m/yr

There most definitely is bc chances are Randle WOULD be included. He left CAA (probably not a coincidence).....Randle is 30M and Bogs is 20M , we have another 5M or so in lower level players too. Oh yeah and 4.7M in McBride.
GettinitDone
Head Coach
And1: 2,965

Post#68 » by GettinitDone » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:27 am

My dream trade is for Jaren Jackson Jr... I think his DPOY defense and inside outside offensive game, and team game would be a match made in heaven on our team. I'd give up Randle + Mitch + several FRP to make it happen...

C - IHart
PF - JJJ
SF - OG
SG - Donte
PG - JB

Spree2Houston wrote:Donovan Mitchell will never take a backseat to Jalen Brunson. The offense would end up being 2 guys taking turns going iso. You already see that failing in Milwaukee. It won’t work here either. I won’t even get into the defensive aspect with this pairing. This is Jalen’s team. You want the #2 to compliment him.

This too, I'd hate to see it. When I see DMitch play, he doesn't play team ball enough, his game depends on isos too much... he'd thrive on a team that needs him as #1 option... but as 1b or 2nd? He'd be less effective and his value tanks
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,311

Post#69 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:43 am

I don't care what they do. I expect Randle back healthy and a predominant run back of the same team. We are the 2 seed FFS. Without Randle for half the season. Are we really some mystery star trade away anymore? Sure it may put is over the top but, who and for what?

With the way things are looking in Minny, a KAT/Randle trade may be a possibility. I Don't see anything else that makes sense. DM? Doesn't make any sense to me. This is Brunson's team. I refuse to break up the Nova boys too so...what do we really need to do? Upgrade the bench? Re-sign OG/iHart and Precious if we have the money. I trust Leon and company to do what is the best for the future of this team.
:beer: RIP mags
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,550

Post#70 » by Wildcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:06 am

Jalen Bluntson wrote:I don't care what they do. I expect Randle back healthy and a predominant run back of the same team. We are the 2 seed FFS. Without Randle for half the season. Are we really some mystery star trade away anymore? Sure it may put is over the top but, who and for what?

With the way things are looking in Minny, a KAT/Randle trade may be a possibility. I Don't see anything else that makes sense. DM? Doesn't make any sense to me. This is Brunson's team. I refuse to break up the Nova boys too so...what do we really need to do? Upgrade the bench? Re-sign OG/iHart and Precious if we have the money. I trust Leon and company to do what is the best for the future of this team.

I'm on the run it back train. Have to see what they actually have with Randle.
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wildcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:13 am

We gonna pay OG 40m/yr

OG's salary doesn't factor in. Knicks are not trying to sign Spida (if they were). In theory, Bog, Miles, and Donte works by salary matching.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,785

Post#72 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:17 am

Wildcat wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:I don't care what they do. I expect Randle back healthy and a predominant run back of the same team. We are the 2 seed FFS. Without Randle for half the season. Are we really some mystery star trade away anymore? Sure it may put is over the top but, who and for what?

Agreed. I'm on board this train too. Why not? They've been through it already together. They love each other. Everything be everything. I think that next season is our year.
Free Palestine
Wildcat
RealGM

Post#73 » by Wildcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:19 am

KnixinSix wrote:

We gonna pay OG 40m/yr

There most definitely is bc chances are Randle WOULD be included. He left CAA (probably not a coincidence).....Randle is 30M and Bogs is 20M , we have another 5M or so in lower level players too. Oh yeah and 4.7M in McBride.

Spida's salary is 36ish. If the Knicks were to trade for him, they'd it before he signs an extension. Cavs more likely interested in a package like Bog, Donte, Miles and picks.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#74 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:24 am

Wildcat wrote:

I normally don't get deep into this stuff until after the season is over. Then I find out cap hits and the rest. Just looking at a run it back scenario with Thibs as the HC.

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

Who do we replace? We don't even know what the cap would look like after OG gets a deal. We know the most we can pay iHart. Precious might not make the cut depending on cap issues.

I have been saying since last summer that we might not make a star trade until next year's deadline if at all. Time will tell. I give this FO complete trust to make sense of it all and do what makes the most sense. We just went through the most winning in 4 consecutive years than we have during any stretch in the 20 previous years. They seem to know what they are doing, even with a few missteps. 4 seed 5 seed 2 seed three of the last four years. Let that sink in a minute. We won 21 games the year before that. :o
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,436

Post#75 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:36 am

Brunson/McBride
Donte/Hart
Bridges/Hart
OG/Bridges
KAT/iHart
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#76 » by aggo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:44 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Brunson/McBride
Donte/Hart
Bridges/Hart
OG/Bridges
KAT/iHart

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,785

Post#77 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:02 am

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

I normally don't get deep into this stuff until after the season is over. Then I find out cap hits and the rest. Just looking at a run it back scenario with Thibs as the HC.

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

Who do we replace? We don't even know what the cap would look like after OG gets a deal. We know the most we can pay iHart. Precious might not make the cut depending on cap issues.

I have been saying since last summer that we might not make a star trade until next year's deadline if at all. Time will tell. I give this FO complete trust to make sense of it all and do what makes the most sense. We just went through the most winning in 4 consecutive years than we have during any stretch in the 20 previous years. They seem to know what they are doing, even with a few missteps. 4 seed 5 seed 2 seed three of the last four years. Let that sink in a minute. We won 21 games the year before that. :o

Those parts fit very nicely together.

I guess we could conceivably work out a trade of Randle for KAT but that would shock me. Thibs loves Julius.
Free Palestine
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#78 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:12 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

I guess we could conceivably work out a trade of Randle for KAT but that would shock me. Thibs loves Julius.

Randle for KAT seems possible but, is it really a smart move? The contract alone is questionable and, is it really that much of an upgrade? I don't see any other star player available that makes sense either. Running back the 2 seed....that was playing like the best team in the league when healthy doesn't seem like a bad idea. We are a contender today. Unless something makes sense, I don't see much happening this summer.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,657

Post#79 » by Lord Commander » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:41 am

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:

Brunson/Deuce
DDV
OG/Hart
Randle/Bogs/Precious
iHart/Mitch/Sims

Randle for KAT seems possible but, is it really a smart move? The contract alone is questionable and, is it really that much of an upgrade? I don't see any other star player available that makes sense either. Running back the 2 seed....that was playing like the best team in the league when healthy doesn't seem like a bad idea. We are a contender today. Unless something makes sense, I don't see much happening this summer.

Agree. Although I think that Kat for Julies is the most likely move, I don't think it moves the needle much. Randle seemed to be adapting his game before he got injured. If he remains and continues to evolve, 2025 will be our year.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,064

Post#80 » by BigShot Bojan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:01 pm

aggo wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Brunson/McBride
Donte/Hart
Bridges/Hart
OG/Bridges
KAT/iHart

Dream scenario but would never happen
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.

Return to New York Knicks