ImageImageImageImageImage

Gilbert Arenas - It's NY's fault Brunson isn't a star

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer
And1: 980

Gilbert Arenas - It's NY's fault Brunson isn't a star 

Post#1 » by NowWHYcee7 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:59 am

I usually can't stand Gil, but on a recent podcast he said something I totally agree with.

Jalen Brunson is the most exciting athlete we've had in a long time. He's Jeter like in demeanor, work ethic, ability, etc. He's been playing at an MVP level since he got here. Even when we got Melo we all know it felt fugazi and we weren't really contenders, no slight to Melo. Jalen has transformed the Knicks to an extent not seen in over 30 years, and lifted the spirits of Knicks fans to insane levels. Not to mention that he's "our guy," in that we targeted him when everyone else was sleeping, and acquired him.

So why isn't he bigger than what he is? What's up with our media? What's up with the marketing? We are the TOP media market in the league...but every time I turn on sports radio we are meat-riding some other athlete from some other city. Yeah they acknowledge Jalen's play, but I see and hear more gushing over someone like Wemby, SGA, or Anthony Edwards than Jalen. We saw what happened with the All-star starter snub. So when I watch the national sports coverage, I can't really be shocked at the terrible takes that we've had to endure from Becky Hammon, Candace Parker, etc. WTF is going on? If we aren't even pushing or promoting our own, can we really expect others to?
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,263

Re: Gilbert Arenas - It's NY's fault Brunson isn't a star 

Post#2 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:04 pm

Jalen is getting commercials now(AT&T). He's going to make his first All-NBA team. I think it's actually happening right before your eyes, but I guess it's just not happening fast enough for you. Not every star player is anointed like a Lebron/Wemby. Some have to grind for a year or two or three and then look out.

For example, Donovan Mitchell and Trae Young have had better NBA careers than Jalen, if you go by the accolades they've received and the amount of money they've been paid, but Jalen is ascending while those two guys are not at all. To me, he's better than them, but that wasn't always the consensus. Credit to Jalen for his work ethic to get him to this point.

Knicks show out in the playoffs, even more attention is going to come his way.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,404

Post#3 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:36 pm

Isn’t this the same clown who said he would rather have Jalen Green over Brunson and Randle not too long ago?
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,024

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:04 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Isn’t this the same clown who said he would rather have Jalen Green over Brunson and Randle not too long ago?

Gil routinely says stupid things.

Like literally every week. I usually like to listen to Shannon Sharpe and Chad Johnson's podcast because they're hilarious, but every time they bring Gil on I can't stand him.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,479

Post#5 » by Capn'O » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:06 pm

https://clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606/

A heartbreaking story is currently unfolding that’s sure to have devastating ramifications for years to come. Just moments ago, without any warning, the worst person you know just made a great point.

This is the progression though. For months:

"You stupid Knicks fans hype everyone up. So stupid. He's ok but nothing special."

Watches Jalen Brunson

"These stupid Knicks fans don't realize what a special player they have."

**** you too, Gil.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by NowWHYcee7 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Isn’t this the same clown who said he would rather have Jalen Green over Brunson and Randle not too long ago?

lol yeah. But he was right about this
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,137

Post#7 » by Juco24 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:44 pm

Yeah... this dude is click bait
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,602

Post#8 » by cgmw » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:53 pm

IDK every time I turn on national NBA news, the talking heads are climbing over themselves to say how disrespected and underrated Brunson is. It's pretty much his brand now. If we beat the Sixers and/or Bucks, expect a lot of David vs. Goliath talk.

Mods: Please consider immediate ban for any Gilbert Arenas re-post. Thank you.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Post#9 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:07 pm

Capn'O wrote:https://clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606/

A heartbreaking story is currently unfolding that’s sure to have devastating ramifications for years to come. Just moments ago, without any warning, the worst person you know just made a great point.

"You stupid Knicks fans hype everyone up. So stupid. He's ok but nothing special."

Watches Jalen Brunson

**** you too, Gil.

Capn'O crushing a thread again. :lol:
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,473

Post#10 » by FrozenEnvelope » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:18 pm

Arenas is proof you can be dumb as hell and still have a job talking.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,302

Post#11 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

I’d say that NYC as a whole is still getting used to the Knicks being good. I still feel it’s impressive - I think there was a stat a while back about the worst teams in the NBA over the past 20 years and the Knicks were up there.

We’re still the only men’s basketball team in town, but this stuff takes time. I can only think of one time in the past 20 years when this team captured the city’s heart - Linsanity - but that was only a flash in the pan.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,550

Post#12 » by Wildcat » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:27 pm

I find it irritating we created a forum topic to discuss this guy. And now he's blaming NY?

Media contracts and endorsements is tied directly to your agent. Has nothing to do with NY. NY can advertise him to no end, but National coverage is what pushes things ahead. TNT, ESPN, etc., are what common NBA fans watch and listen to. People in the league have been coming around to JB for months now. And he's only been here for less than 2 years and this year is the year he took that "1A" step forward. We also seem to forget endorsements take time to materialized and last Summer his time was elsewhere (FIBA).
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,013

Post#13 » by NYKinMIA » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:37 pm

Capn'O wrote:https://clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606/

Watches Jalen Brunson

**** you too, Gil.

Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,090

Post#14 » by Jeffrey » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:55 pm

Gil is an idiot. It usually takes about 1.5 years for fans and media to catch up with a player's production.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,648

Post#15 » by Gravy » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:01 pm

eh, Its nice not having any egomaniac celebrities on the roster. I like being the boring team that beats all the flashy popular stars. Make it to the ecf or finals and national media will be forced to take us seriously.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,905

Post#16 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:05 pm

NowWHYcee7 wrote:I usually can't stand Gil, but on a recent podcast he said something I totally agree with.

Jalen Brunson is the most exciting athlete we've had in a long time. He's Jeter like in demeanor, work ethic, ability, etc. He's been playing at an MVP level since he got here. Even when we got Melo we all know it felt fugazi and we weren't really contenders, no slight to Melo. Jalen has transformed the Knicks to an extent not seen in over 30 years, and lifted the spirits of Knicks fans to insane levels. Not to mention that he's "our guy," in that we targeted him when everyone else was sleeping, and acquired him.

So why isn't he bigger than what he is? What's up with our media? What's up with the marketing? We are the TOP media market in the league...but every time I turn on sports radio we are meat-riding some other athlete from some other city. Yeah they acknowledge Jalen's play, but I see and hear more gushing over someone like Wemby, SGA, or Anthony Edwards than Jalen. We saw what happened with the All-star starter snub. So when I watch the national sports coverage, I can't really be shocked at the terrible takes that we've had to endure from Becky Hammon, Candace Parker, etc. WTF is going on? If we aren't even pushing or promoting our own, can we really expect others to?

If Arenas made a statement that water is wet, I would have to re-think my stance on water.

We are not the ones who call Brunson a B not an A, that's the entire big media.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Ursusamericanus
Veteran
And1: 2,640

Post#17 » by Ursusamericanus » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:07 pm

Of course he is a star and is recognized as such. His peers see it, other teams' fans see it, hell even casuals see it now. The media will catch up, they are the slowest learners (outside of Perk and some others).
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,497

Post#18 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:10 pm

Hey guys!

Check out my guns!
ImageImageImage
NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by NowWHYcee7 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:41 pm

cgmw wrote:IDK every time I turn on national NBA news, the talking heads are climbing over themselves to say how disrespected and underrated Brunson is. It's pretty much his brand now. If we beat the Sixers and/or Bucks, expect a lot of David vs. Goliath talk.

Mods: Please consider immediate ban for any Gilbert Arenas re-post. Thank you.

If by the national NBA news, you mean Kendrick Perkins, then yeah.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,903

Post#20 » by 8516knicks » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:07 pm

In Physics, Richard Feynman, who won a Nobel Prize (among other accolades) said of himself, “I was an ordinary person who studied hard. There's no miracle people!” ― Richard Feynman

Jalen is that kind of solid guy who doesn't need to brag. He knows he's good. He knows he works hard and He's doing pretty well as a result. (and he had the genes).

Return to New York Knicks