ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: 2nd Seed Baby!

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,146

Re: PG: 2nd Seed Baby! 

Post#361 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:This is our culture now

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=oWAQ5JzX5AK-44v89eypvw

The hate for losing was the number one fuel for the greatest players in NBA history. MJ and Kobe, losing what like having their heart ripped out their body and they would do whatever it takes to not have that happen.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#362 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm

Disagree that Brunson deserves anything over Giannis tbh and I'm definitely a homer :lol:

Giannis had the first season EVER with 30 ppg on over 60% from the field. Think about all the great big men scorers there are who simply never accomplished that...On top of that he should probably be a DPOY candidate given that Milwaukees defense literally falls off a cliff if he's not playing.

Brunson just can't mirror that kind of 2 way impact IMO. No shame in that either. We're talking about a finals and regular season MVP here lol.

Tatum, to me though does not deserve anything over Brunson. His defensive impact is overstated over 82 games IMO. Man has Jrue, Derrick White, KP and Horford doing way more dirty work for him on that end. Impact metrics all have Brunson as the way better offensive player and I'm not going to hold rebounds against Brunson who is actually a decent rebounder considering he's under 6'1' lol.

Boston is still a solid playoff team without Tatum. They were actually technically a better team with Tatum off the floor. Not that net rating is the end all be all but, it shows that they are still a good team without him. The Knicks, this year are likely in the lottery without Brunson. Given the fact that Brunson's traditional stats are better, his impact stats are better, narrative is better an dthe way he closed the season was absurd, then I don't think there's an overwhelming argument for Tatum over him unless you really want to hammer the defensive differences but again it's not like the Knicks were bad defensively with Brunson on the floor lol...
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,063

Post#363 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

Lord Commander wrote:Great teams take on and beat all comers. That is all!! All this jockeying and throwing games is weak sauce.

Yeah I can't get down with the notion that the Knicks should be scared to play anyone. Miami and Philadelphia are in the play in for a reason.

This is the mentality right now:

These teams have to come into the viper's den. Not the other way around!!!
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,427

Post#364 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:Disagree that Brunson deserves anything over Giannis tbh and I'm definitely a homer :lol:

Giannis had the first season EVER with 30 ppg on over 60% from the field. Think about all the great big men scorers there are who simply never accomplished that...On top of that he should probably be a DPOY candidate given that Milwaukees defense literally falls off a cliff if he's not playing.

Brunson just can't mirror that kind of 2 way impact IMO. No shame in that either. We're talking about a finals and regular season MVP here lol.

Tatum, to me though does not deserve anything over Brunson. His defensive impact is overstated over 82 games IMO. Man has Jrue, Derrick White, KP and Horford doing way more dirty work for him on that end. Impact metrics all have Brunson as the way better offensive player and I'm not going to hold rebounds against Brunson who is actually a decent rebounder considering he's under 6'1' lol.

Boston is still a solid playoff team without Tatum. They were actually technically a better team with Tatum off the floor. Not that net rating is the end all be all but, it shows that they are still a good team without him. The Knicks, this year are likely in the lottery without Brunson. Given the fact that Brunson's traditional stats are better, his impact stats are better, narrative is better an dthe way he closed the season was absurd, then I don't think there's an overwhelming argument for Tatum over him unless you really want to hammer the defensive differences but again it's not like the Knicks were bad defensively with Brunson on the floor lol...

The knock against Giannis is that his performance didn’t translate into as many wins as it should have. On paper that team should have at least 55 wins.

Brunson has Giannis beat in terms of record with what most people would probably consider a worst supporting cast when you factor in injuries.

Knicks record with Brunson: 49-28
Bucks record with Giannis: 45-28
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,135

Post#365 » by sol537 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:05 pm

Next season we might have Brunson with Giannis...
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,506

Post#366 » by Synciere » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:08 pm

sol537 wrote:Next season we might have Brunson with Giannis...

Don't start rumors like this until at the least the dog days of summer..

And maybe not even then.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,650

Post#367 » by Gravy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:12 pm

It would be worse if we tanked to get the Pacers and then still lost to the Pacers lol

Losing to a healthy Sixers team is justifiable.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,035

Post#368 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 pm

moocow007 wrote:

Read on Twitter

The hate for losing was the number one fuel for the greatest players in NBA history. MJ and Kobe, losing what like having their heart ripped out their body and they would do whatever it takes to not have that happen.

funny you say that. MJ totally. kobe has a more nuanced view on that i was surprised to hear him express after his retirement.

he hated losing, but he had to be ok with losing happening, because it will happen often no matter how great you are. obsession with not losing would be your psychological demise. his distinction had something to do with how you prepare to win in all things being the key to actually winning as much as possible.

something like that. he put it much better.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,524

Post#369 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Not sure I would use the word "legend" for all those players.

I see two legends (Jokic and Giannis). I need more playoff success to put the rest in "legend" status. Luka probably closest to those 2 but needs to show out this post season. Tatum also needs to seal the deal since the celtics are by far the most talented team. Looking forward to seeing SGA running the show in his first post season as a true contender.

Luka and Tatum will likeky be remembered as legends too, though most likely a tier below Jok. They're on course, with a pretty strong resume already to build on. And this season only solidified that trajectory.

SGA's regular season rivaled Bron and MJ's prime years. Maybe just a notch below, but that's the territory he was in this year. 30+ ppg on 110 (!!!) TS+ as a guard, with All-NBA defense. His all-around impact was just greater than Brunson's. And if he keeps it up, he will enter an exclusive realm.

Brunson was incredible this year but he was not on that level imo. There's no shame in that, and there's still room for him to improve even further. Starting this postseason.

I think when you factor what Brunson had to deal with this year in terms of production of his teammates in terms of missed games. Yes it does rival those guys IMO.

This year Brunson was playing with

Dont DiVincenzo - played a majority of his career off the bench
Josh Hart - who is a connector bench type piece on a good team
Ihart - played his entire career mostly off the bench
Precious or McBride - also bench pieces (you can say fringe rotational pieces before this year)

And got that team to 50 wins.

SGA had Chet + Williams two studs
Tatum had the best starting 5 to play with this year.

What Brunson had to do this year in terms of carrying the offensive load was unmatched in the NBA. Probably the only player that rivals that is Jokic since the entire offense runs through him in Denver.

But the MVP award isn't about who had the most adverse circumstances.

SGA and Jokic had better team records in the tougher Conference (meaning if you calibrate the schedules the gap in team wins likely increases), and they scored higher in impact metrics. There's no serious case for Brunson winning MVP when you consider these factors. The rest is mostly narrative-driven. That voters are giving him top 5 love is great already.

The Knicks also finished the season top 10 in defense and we know that Brunson wasn't much of a factor on that side of the ball. So while he did carry the offense in Randle's absence, his defense actually hurt the team (though not to the extent that his offense helped it), whereas someone like SGA was additive on both ends (and I would argue same for Jokic, who also happens to be the best offensive player in the league). It's all captured in the numbers and they show a clear gap.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,759

Post#370 » by Fat Kat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:48 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,144

Post#371 » by stuporman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:14 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Luka and Tatum will likeky be remembered as legends too, though most likely a tier below Jok. They're on course, with a pretty strong resume already to build on. And this season only solidified that trajectory.

SGA's regular season rivaled Bron and MJ's prime years. Maybe just a notch below, but that's the territory he was in this year. 30+ ppg on 110 (!!!) TS+ as a guard, with All-NBA defense. His all-around impact was just greater than Brunson's. And if he keeps it up, he will enter an exclusive realm.

Brunson was incredible this year but he was not on that level imo. There's no shame in that, and there's still room for him to improve even further. Starting this postseason.

I think when you factor what Brunson had to deal with this year in terms of production of his teammates in terms of missed games. Yes it does rival those guys IMO.

Precious or McBride - also bench pieces (you can say fringe rotational pieces before this year)

What Brunson had to do this year in terms of carrying the offensive load was unmatched in the NBA. Probably the only player that rivals that is Jokic since the entire offense runs through him in Denver.

SGA and Jokic had better team records in the tougher Conference (meaning if you calibrate the schedules the gap in team wins likely increases), and they scored higher in impact metrics. There's no serious case for Brunson winning MVP when you consider these factors. The rest is mostly narrative-driven. That voters are giving him top 5 love is great already.

The Knicks also finished the season top 10 in defense and we know that Brunson wasn't much of a factor on that side of the ball. So while he did carry the offense in Randle's absence, his defense actually hurt the team (though not to the extent that his offense helped it), whereas someone like SGA was additive on both ends (and I would argue same for Jokic, who also happens to be the best offensive player in the league). It's all captured in the numbers and they show a clear gap.

Screaming man would like to have a word with you...

Even if I agree that Jokic is the better player on the better team but you make it sound like he's as bad of a defender as your binky Burks.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,742

Post#372 » by Guano » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:17 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Guano wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Jokic, Luka, SGA, Giannis and Tatum are elite-of-the-elite players.

Tatum is the only one who Brunson surpasses in some impact metrics, and he's the clear-cut best player on the best team. Otherwise there's a pretty clear separation between the other 4 and Brunson statistically.

And those metrics do factor in context.

Brunson being in top 5 MVP voting and All-NBA conversations is significant enough. There's no need to act like he's being robbed for not making first team. The guys above him are legends.

So is Brunson

Chanel holding another Knick in low regard. Terrible but expected

Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#373 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 pm

Guano wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Guano wrote:
So is Brunson

Chanel holding another Knick in low regard. Terrible but expected

This is some of my best work, let me cook bro
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,477

Post#374 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Guano wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Chanel holding another Knick in low regard. Terrible but expected

This is some of my best work, let me cook bro

Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#375 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 pm

stuporman wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Even if I agree that Jokic is the better player on the better team but you make it sound like he's as bad of a defender as your binky Burks.

Brunson plays with effort on defense but he's still a negative defensively. It's not his fault per se, but the reality is that he's not a positive factor on defense. That's not insignificant when you assess a player's overall impact.
Galvationknicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#376 » by Galvationknicks » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 pm

Cavs' JB Bickerstaff received votes for the National Basketball Coaches Association Coach of the Year, while Tom Thibodeau did not.

Wow
JB is Him
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,731

Post#377 » by mpharris36 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Luka and Tatum will likeky be remembered as legends too, though most likely a tier below Jok. They're on course, with a pretty strong resume already to build on. And this season only solidified that trajectory.

I'm not saying Brunson should win the MVP (Probably Jokic and SGA finish 1/2 in some way)...however I do think you factor the players situation in MVP. Most Valuable...meaning if you took Brunson off the Knicks they wouldn't even be a playoff team without him. Both Denver and OKC would still be playoff teams.

I think a players value does impact MVP. So Brunson should be top 3 or 4 in MVP. And easily a 1st team all NBA player.

Basically if you swapped Tatum with Brunson...no way the Knicks would be at 50 wins.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#378 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I'm not saying Brunson should win the MVP (Probably Jokic and SGA finish 1/2 in some way)...however I do think you factor the players situation in MVP. Most Valuable...meaning if you took Brunson off the Knicks they wouldn't even be a playoff team without him. Both Denver and OKC would still be playoff teams.

I think a players value does impact MVP. So Brunson should be top 3 or 4 in MVP. And easily a 1st team all NBA player.

Basically if you swapped Tatum with Brunson...no way the Knicks would be at 50 wins.

Denver have had a losing record without Jokic so no, that's not true. They wouldn't make the playoffs without him.

I do think the Knicks would most likely reach 50 wins with Tatum instead of Brunson. The defense would be even stronger. The offense perhaps a bit worse but it wouldn't see a dramatic decline. We're talking about Tatum here :lol:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,452

Post#379 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Yet Chanel has gravy guzzling Luka over this warrior. Terrible
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,144

Post#380 » by stuporman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:38 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
stuporman wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:But the MVP award isn't about who had the most adverse circumstances.

Brunson plays with effort on defense but he's still a negative defensively. It's not his fault per se, but the reality is that he's not a positive factor on defense. That's not insignificant when you assess a player's overall impact.

Well, I'd like to inform your binary bound brain that life isn't just two sides. Just because he's not a 'net positive', and that's your opinion not fact or reality, doesn't mean he's a 'net positive'. He can be a 'net neutral' on defense, where he has match ups that are positive or negative for him, or situations that are either positive or negative for him creating a neutral effect.

Some assume because of his limitations that he's always a 'net negative' and in some instances that is accurate but it isn't across the board or in every circumstance that he's a net negative. I guess you'd rather go with assumptive narratives to make broad assessments but as screaming man so clearly points out, those aren't always the case. He makes plays that Burks can only dream of on both ends of the court.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job

Return to New York Knicks