ImageImageImageImageImage

Did the Cavs & Bucks tank to avoid 2nd seed?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Did Cleveland and/or Milwaukee try to avoid the #2 seed?

Poll ended at Today 9:56 am

Yes
38%
No
2%
Just Cleveland
32%
Just Milwaukee
9%
This is a stupid question
11%
I'm having a bad hair day
9%

Total votes: 47

FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,474

Re: Did the Cavs & Bucks tank to avoid 2nd seed? 

Post#21 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:38 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:Benching stars in the final game/s is done for three reasons. Playoff seeding is set so...who cares? You are out of the playoffs and want a better pick. You want to avoid teams in the playoffs. Milwaukee seems like it's possible but, with the injury to Giannis, I might give them a slight pass but, pretty suspect. Cleveland flat out tanked.

We don't play that shyt. It's just the wrong mentality to have. Winners want all the smoke!! People who think it's a smart move, go hide with the Cavs and Bucks while the rest of us lock and load!! FOH!

This is not a street fight. Both of those teams made business decisions and honestly it was the right move imo. We don't get any extra credit for wanting the smoke. Will you still feel this way if Miami sends us on vacation?
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran

Post#22 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:39 pm

Richard4444 wrote:We lost our series against Indiana and Orlando and won our series against Miami and Philly. I am not sure if it would be wise to throw the game.

Regular season means nothing in the playoffs.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,436

Post#23 » by JXL » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:43 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:Benching stars in the final game/s is done for three reasons. Playoff seeding is set so...who cares? You are out of the playoffs and want a better pick. You want to avoid teams in the playoffs. Milwaukee seems like it's possible but, with the injury to Giannis, I might give them a slight pass but, pretty suspect. Cleveland flat out tanked.

We don't play that shyt. It's just the wrong mentality to have. Winners want all the smoke!! People who think it's a smart move, go hide with the Cavs and Bucks while the rest of us lock and load!! FOH!

This is not a street fight. Both of those teams made business decisions and honestly it was the right move imo. We don't get any extra credit for wanting the smoke. Will you still feel this way if Miami sends us on vacation?

You scared of Miami? You scared of Bam intentionally injuring players?
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,768

Post#24 » by omerome » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:56 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:

Ending the season on the right foot is more important, IMO.

Losing a game just for a favorable catchup goes against everything we've seen and loved about this team. They worked so hard through adversity and setbacks to just throw a game is weak sauce. Now, if the win came at a cost of losing someone to injury, especially unnecessarily, that's a different story.

I'm not concerned about who we face. We need to trust that our team is capable of facing any challenges ahead of them. And this season, I don't have doubts that they aren't ready for anything.

Miami or PHI are going to be teams we can’t take lightly. But guess what? So is every other team that qualified. They are in the playoff picture for a reason. So I say, bring on anyone.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,311

Post#25 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:57 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:

Yes. If we lose we lose. You go down swinging. What makes the Bucks decision to hide a good one. They ended up with a team that beats them up. Cleveland got a solid young team with length and some real talent to play against. We have two play in teams fighting to play us. Not diminishing them but, IND/ORL aren't pushovers either.

Why is everyone so afraid of MIA/PHI? We just went through more adversity this season than pretty much EVERYONE in the East. We have beat both these teams this year. We have a very good team in case no one is paying attention.

I just think you have to win the games you play. Taking the foot off the gas could cost you in the end. It's not a good mentality to have in a wide open conference. Strive to be the best with every effort you give. That's what a champion does in my book. That's what I love about this team. All grit and no quit.

Maybe they tanked to avoid us! :o
:beer: RIP mags
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,735

Post#26 » by Fat Kat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:59 pm

Indiana is terrible matchup for a gimpy Milwaukee team. If they did tank, Doc is dumber that I thought
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,768

Post#27 » by omerome » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:06 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Indiana is terrible matchup for a gimpy Milwaukee team. If they did tank, Doc is dumber that I thought

That part is true.

This off-season will be interesting, pending the results of this match-up.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,918

Post#28 » by Spree2Houston » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:13 pm

I genuinely want Miami
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,697

Post#29 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:30 pm

#2 seed avoids Boston till the ECF. And Bucks and Cavs don't have pushovers in the first round either. Indy and Orlando are dangerous, especially Indy has had the Bucks number this season.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,134

Post#30 » by moocow007 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:30 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:We lost our series against Indiana and Orlando and won our series against Miami and Philly. I am not sure if it would be wise to throw the game.

Agreed. The only on paper benefit I see playing Indiana or Orlando (especially Orlando) is the lack of playoff experienced compared to Philly and Miami (especially Miami).
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#31 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:34 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:

Nonsense. Matchups matter. Period. It doesn't guarantee anything but, it matters. You want Boston in round one?

Next thing you will try to tell me is that HCA doesn't matter in the playoffs either. Which we have guaranteed for the first two rounds with this win as well.

I would prefer to be the one seed but, injuries took that away. We are still a really good team though. Let's shock the world!
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#32 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:36 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Indiana is terrible matchup for a gimpy Milwaukee team. If they did tank, Doc is dumber that I thought

He probably thought CLE was a lock to beat CHA and oops. :lol: He IS a dumb ass.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#33 » by sol537 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:39 pm

If we can't beat Philly or Miami in round 1 then we weren't going all the way anyway...

Got to prove our mettle from the get go. And those other East teams aren't trash, anyway. They're young... but solid.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,450

Post#34 » by dakomish23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:39 pm

Will only make our win that much sweeter knowing we fought what's in front of us
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#35 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:42 pm

We weren't in a position to rest players. Thibs doesn't tank even when he should. Thinking we would have or should have is all fine and dandy. It just wasn't realistic.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,134

Post#36 » by moocow007 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:56 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:

Nonsense. Matchups matter. Period. It doesn't guarantee anything but, it matters. You want Boston in round one?

Next thing you will try to tell me is that HCA doesn't matter in the playoffs either. Which we have guaranteed for the first two rounds with this win as well.

I would prefer to be the one seed but, injuries took that away. We are still a really good team though. Let's shock the world!

I think he was talking more about regular season record against a team than matchups. Matchups definitely matter. How well one team did against another team record wise in 4-6 games, not as much. You also want to factor in playoff experience. Playoffs are a different animal especially for teams that have the experience to not panic come playoff time.

Now I'm not saying the Knicks should have lost to the Bulls on purpose (like what the Bucks and Cavs seems to have done) but it does bring up some debate. Also as far as matchups go, you also would prefer to go against team that have little to no playoff experience compared to a team who's players have shown that it doesn't really matter what their regular season records are and that come playoff time they know what they need to do and can beat teams with better records than them in the regular season.
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 813

Post#37 » by NY2k1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:46 pm

Jalen Bluntson wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:

Not sure the Knicks were getting the number one seed this season, even if fully healthy.
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran

Post#38 » by FrozenEnvelope » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:55 pm

JXL wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:

You scared of Miami? You scared of Bam intentionally injuring players?

Not sure if scared is the right word but I'd prefer not to play them.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,331

Post#39 » by Gant » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:56 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Yes they are spineless cowards

It's a little unexpected seeing this comment next to a picture of Bob Ross.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#40 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:58 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Jalen Bluntson wrote:
FrozenEnvelope wrote:

I think he was talking more about regular season record against a team than matchups. Matchups definitely matter. How well one team did against another team record wise in 4-6 games, not as much. You also want to factor in playoff experience. Playoffs are a different animal especially for teams that have the experience to not panic come playoff time.

Now I'm not saying the Knicks should have lost to the Bulls on purpose (like what the Bucks and Cavs seems to have done) but it does bring up some debate. Also as far as matchups go, you also would prefer to go against team that have little to no playoff experience compared to a team who's players have shown that it doesn't really matter what their regular season records are and that come playoff time they know what they need to do and can beat teams with better records than them in the regular season.

It's six of one scenario IMO. It's the playoffs. We didn't have a choice in what play in team we face. Boston gets the crappy one. We get the "better" one. The rest are still playoff worthy teams. I get the experience part of the equation but, regular season matchups matter. You don't suddenly beat a team in a seven game series that you couldn't manage to beat at all during the regular season when it doesn't mean as much. There's a reason you struggled during the regular season against them usually. Now...if the team,went through a huge transformation roster wise since the regular season then it shouldn't matter at all. But to act like it doesn't matter at all is silly.

I would prefer the less experienced team but, I am not willing to lay down for anyone. It's a weak mentality. Getting HCA until the ECF matters more to me. We have proven we can beat anyone. Now we have to do it when the lights are brightest!! If the regular season doesn't matter...why play the games?

Return to New York Knicks