ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Knicks Pre-Playoffs Discussion Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,820

Re: Official Knicks Pre-Playoffs Discussion Thread 

Post#21 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:42 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I’ll start.

Who - other than HIM - is key to the success of our playoff run?

Wingo’s choice: Monster Mitch.

Most objective answer I can give is:

It takes a village

My fan answer:

OG

After Brunson he is the biggest key to our playoff success on BOTH ends of the court. If he can average 18 PPG while chopping away at the scoring opportunities of the people he defends, he's going to be a monster net positive player in these playoffs.

The thing that is great about OG is you can't measure his full defensive impact by opponent shots missed. He literally stops people from even taking shots and drops their FGA's per game which doesn't show up in the box score.

Another cool Athletics article from today about OG:
https://theathletic.com/5417952/2024/04/16/og-anunoby-cuts-knicks-nba-playoffs/

"OG Anunoby’s ‘sacrificial cuts’ could benefit Knicks, Jalen Brunson in playoffs"

Mired in a tight game, OG Anunoby had to create a bucket. The one issue? He wasn’t holding the basketball. Of course, that didn’t stop him.

Most of the NBA’s headiest off-ball players receive kudos because their movement opens themselves up for shots. Others get credit for the frenzy they create when they rush nonstop from sideline to sideline.

For example, two-time MVP Stephen Curry swerves around screens, inspiring nervous breakdowns in defenders who follow him. Eventually, someone heads the wrong way, and either Curry or one of his teammates finds an easy basket because of it.

On this occasion, Anunoby attempted something different, a move that’s become familiar since he arrived in New York three and a half months ago.

Midway into the fourth quarter of a two-point game in Sacramento, Jalen Brunson tried a step-back jumper on the left side of the court. The Kings guarded it well, and Brunson couldn’t release the shot. With Anunoby stationed on the opposite wing, Brunson was stuck — until his teammate rebalanced the floor.

Just before Brunson handed the ball off to Isaiah Hartenstein, an escape that would mean hurrying around his center and in Anunoby’s direction, Anunoby jogged across the paint, from right to left, removing his defender from the area that seconds later would become Brunson’s path to the basket.

[Insert super cool video you guys can't see]

This subtle move is called a spacing cut.

Its purpose isn’t to free Anunoby for a bucket. It’s not to take advantage of an inattentive opponent. It’s not to cause those dreaded nervous breakdowns. It’s to clear the way for Brunson.

“What it says is, you’re putting the team first,” Donte DiVincenzo said. “It’s an unselfish move.”

On this occasion, just as it has on many others, it worked. Hartenstein delivered a bounce pass to Brunson, who zipped past where Anunoby’s defender once stood and finished an and-1.

Brunson gets the points. Hartenstein, for those who care about the analytics, gets the screen assist. And Anunoby gets … nothing, other than a stamp of approval from DiVincenzo.

“You look at the guys on the team, on any team, that don’t cut and just stand the entire time — you’re almost saying, ‘You have to pass me the ball,’ ” DiVincenzo said. “I think what not just him but what we’ve been good at is doing those cuts. … You’re just saying to your teammates, I’m trying to do whatever it takes to win.”

The trade for Anunoby, which sent RJ Barrett and Immanuel Quickley to the Toronto Raptors, transformed the New York Knicks’ identity. And for all the talk of a remodeled defense that includes one of the world’s most versatile stoppers, habits morphed on the other side, too.

The Knicks were 20-3 and performed like the league’s stingiest squad when Anunoby was in the lineup during the regular season. Yet, the offense also revved up when he was present, scoring 7.5 more points per 100 possessions while he was in the game, according to Cleaning the Glass.

Anunoby is dynamite shooting from the corners. He streaks in transition, but don’t ignore his activity once the Knicks commit to their half-court attack.

When a defender leaves the back door open, Anunoby notices it. He’ll dart to the rim or create 3-pointers for himself just because he understands spacing and how to respond to defense. Anunoby deploys his powers as he did against the Kings when he’s somehow essential to a play that at first glance doesn’t appear to involve him.

“He’s got a really good feel for it,” head coach Tom Thibodeau said. “He’s very unique in that sense. … He knows how to read defenses and he knows how to attack.”

Come playoff time, DiVincenzo will press that stamp of approval with more vigor.

Improvisational cuts become even more important during the postseason when opponents will key in on every detail of the Knicks offense.

The Knicks, who finished 50-32, second in the Eastern Conference, must wait until Wednesday, when the Philadelphia 76ers face the Miami Heat in the No. 7 versus No. 8 portion of the Play-In Tournament, to learn their first-round opponent.

A date with the Sixers would mean a bash with abundant perimeter defenders, as well as one with reigning MVP Joel Embiid, who controls the paint. Philadelphia coach Nick Nurse remains one of the league’s most flexible, willing to try out imaginative defenses to thwart scorers as dominant as Brunson. He’s familiar with Anunoby, too, considering they overlapped for years in Toronto.

Encountering the Heat, the team that eliminated the Knicks from the playoffs last spring, would bring back memories.

Miami swarmed Brunson during that series, and though the point guard fought through crowds to average more than 30 points in the six-game defeat, the rest of the offense could not support him enough for New York to pull away. Of course, both because of personnel and style, this is not the same Knicks attack as the one from a year ago.

The Knicks have far more 3-point shooting than they did in 2022-23. Brunson is more active off the ball than ever, as The Athletic detailed earlier this month. DiVincenzo is a keen relocater. Josh Hart will cut behind the defense. Hartenstein prefers to catch the basketball on the move.

Whether they’re the Heat’s or the 76ers’, defenders will mob Brunson starting next weekend. That’s when Anunoby’s “sacrificial cuts,” as Hart calls them, become even more significant.

“You can’t game plan for that stuff. I think that’s the biggest thing,” Hart said. “You can sit there and game plan certain plays or certain guys’ style or whatever it is, but when you make those spur-of-the-moment cuts or plays or whatever, it’s hard to defend. It’s hard to scout.”

A postseason series means playing a squad four to seven consecutive times. Players learn their opponents’ tendencies. Coaches jam the other group’s schemes into their guys’ brains. Everyone knows everyone else’s actions.

But when Anunoby takes off, it’s not pre-planned. It’s because he recognizes something faster than the defense does.

“(I look at) which side the ball is being sent to and where my man is,” Anunoby said. “If my man is in the middle watching the ball, I cut through. If the bottom guy messes up and pulls in, I go through. Just know what’s going on, where the ball is.”

I love that quote from DDV.

Donte and OG are two of the headiest players in the league. That means so much to the offense.

I love this team.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,502

Post#22 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:58 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Most objective answer I can give is:

It takes a village

My fan answer:

OG

After Brunson he is the biggest key to our playoff success on BOTH ends of the court. If he can average 18 PPG while chopping away at the scoring opportunities of the people he defends, he's going to be a monster net positive player in these playoffs.

The thing that is great about OG is you can't measure his full defensive impact by opponent shots missed. He literally stops people from even taking shots and drops their FGA's per game which doesn't show up in the box score.

Another cool Athletics article from today about OG:
https://theathletic.com/5417952/2024/04/16/og-anunoby-cuts-knicks-nba-playoffs/

"OG Anunoby’s ‘sacrificial cuts’ could benefit Knicks, Jalen Brunson in playoffs"

Mired in a tight game, OG Anunoby had to create a bucket. The one issue? He wasn’t holding the basketball. Of course, that didn’t stop him.

Most of the NBA’s headiest off-ball players receive kudos because their movement opens themselves up for shots. Others get credit for the frenzy they create when they rush nonstop from sideline to sideline.

For example, two-time MVP Stephen Curry swerves around screens, inspiring nervous breakdowns in defenders who follow him. Eventually, someone heads the wrong way, and either Curry or one of his teammates finds an easy basket because of it.

On this occasion, Anunoby attempted something different, a move that’s become familiar since he arrived in New York three and a half months ago.

Midway into the fourth quarter of a two-point game in Sacramento, Jalen Brunson tried a step-back jumper on the left side of the court. The Kings guarded it well, and Brunson couldn’t release the shot. With Anunoby stationed on the opposite wing, Brunson was stuck — until his teammate rebalanced the floor.

Just before Brunson handed the ball off to Isaiah Hartenstein, an escape that would mean hurrying around his center and in Anunoby’s direction, Anunoby jogged across the paint, from right to left, removing his defender from the area that seconds later would become Brunson’s path to the basket.

[Insert super cool video you guys can't see]

This subtle move is called a spacing cut.

Its purpose isn’t to free Anunoby for a bucket. It’s not to take advantage of an inattentive opponent. It’s not to cause those dreaded nervous breakdowns. It’s to clear the way for Brunson.

“What it says is, you’re putting the team first,” Donte DiVincenzo said. “It’s an unselfish move.”

On this occasion, just as it has on many others, it worked. Hartenstein delivered a bounce pass to Brunson, who zipped past where Anunoby’s defender once stood and finished an and-1.

Brunson gets the points. Hartenstein, for those who care about the analytics, gets the screen assist. And Anunoby gets … nothing, other than a stamp of approval from DiVincenzo.

“You look at the guys on the team, on any team, that don’t cut and just stand the entire time — you’re almost saying, ‘You have to pass me the ball,’ ” DiVincenzo said. “I think what not just him but what we’ve been good at is doing those cuts. … You’re just saying to your teammates, I’m trying to do whatever it takes to win.”

The trade for Anunoby, which sent RJ Barrett and Immanuel Quickley to the Toronto Raptors, transformed the New York Knicks’ identity. And for all the talk of a remodeled defense that includes one of the world’s most versatile stoppers, habits morphed on the other side, too.

The Knicks were 20-3 and performed like the league’s stingiest squad when Anunoby was in the lineup during the regular season. Yet, the offense also revved up when he was present, scoring 7.5 more points per 100 possessions while he was in the game, according to Cleaning the Glass.

Anunoby is dynamite shooting from the corners. He streaks in transition, but don’t ignore his activity once the Knicks commit to their half-court attack.

When a defender leaves the back door open, Anunoby notices it. He’ll dart to the rim or create 3-pointers for himself just because he understands spacing and how to respond to defense. Anunoby deploys his powers as he did against the Kings when he’s somehow essential to a play that at first glance doesn’t appear to involve him.

“He’s got a really good feel for it,” head coach Tom Thibodeau said. “He’s very unique in that sense. … He knows how to read defenses and he knows how to attack.”

Come playoff time, DiVincenzo will press that stamp of approval with more vigor.

Improvisational cuts become even more important during the postseason when opponents will key in on every detail of the Knicks offense.

The Knicks, who finished 50-32, second in the Eastern Conference, must wait until Wednesday, when the Philadelphia 76ers face the Miami Heat in the No. 7 versus No. 8 portion of the Play-In Tournament, to learn their first-round opponent.

A date with the Sixers would mean a bash with abundant perimeter defenders, as well as one with reigning MVP Joel Embiid, who controls the paint. Philadelphia coach Nick Nurse remains one of the league’s most flexible, willing to try out imaginative defenses to thwart scorers as dominant as Brunson. He’s familiar with Anunoby, too, considering they overlapped for years in Toronto.

Encountering the Heat, the team that eliminated the Knicks from the playoffs last spring, would bring back memories.

Miami swarmed Brunson during that series, and though the point guard fought through crowds to average more than 30 points in the six-game defeat, the rest of the offense could not support him enough for New York to pull away. Of course, both because of personnel and style, this is not the same Knicks attack as the one from a year ago.

The Knicks have far more 3-point shooting than they did in 2022-23. Brunson is more active off the ball than ever, as The Athletic detailed earlier this month. DiVincenzo is a keen relocater. Josh Hart will cut behind the defense. Hartenstein prefers to catch the basketball on the move.

Whether they’re the Heat’s or the 76ers’, defenders will mob Brunson starting next weekend. That’s when Anunoby’s “sacrificial cuts,” as Hart calls them, become even more significant.

“You can’t game plan for that stuff. I think that’s the biggest thing,” Hart said. “You can sit there and game plan certain plays or certain guys’ style or whatever it is, but when you make those spur-of-the-moment cuts or plays or whatever, it’s hard to defend. It’s hard to scout.”

A postseason series means playing a squad four to seven consecutive times. Players learn their opponents’ tendencies. Coaches jam the other group’s schemes into their guys’ brains. Everyone knows everyone else’s actions.

But when Anunoby takes off, it’s not pre-planned. It’s because he recognizes something faster than the defense does.

“(I look at) which side the ball is being sent to and where my man is,” Anunoby said. “If my man is in the middle watching the ball, I cut through. If the bottom guy messes up and pulls in, I go through. Just know what’s going on, where the ball is.”

I love that quote from DDV.

This was a refreshing article for once

The key to off the ball movement is the players more than any coaching. You need guys who get it and are willing to keep moving off the ball to build that kind of offense. For the longest time we've always had a handful of players who were content to stand by while option one or two dribbled the ball and wait for a pass. Being ready to take a three is not an offensive set. It's just laziness.

We finally have a collection of players who are not lazy, who do not stand around and watch each other. They stay active and run cuts, backdoors, screens and rotate the ball. This is all I've wanted from this team for decades and haven't seen until now. And the article is right. It got better when OG arrived. Even though we had some guys last year who got it, now we have pretty much everyone getting it and that makes all the difference in the world for our offense. It means we'll have shorter shooting droughts and more diversified scoring opportunities across the roster.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,502

Post#23 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:03 am

thebuzzardman wrote:Thibs is key.

Once teams start game planning the high P&R with iShart or Hart, will he adjust another way to maximize Brunson?

We've been doing more weaves and double screens lately, perhaps to offset readymade counters to single screens. Plus, Brunson keeps iterating on his bag of tricks to turn the corner and no one really has an answer for him yet. There were a couple of games this season where he was limited by a defense, but usually within a game or two he had solved those obstacles. He really is the engine on offense. As long as guys stay active, Brunson's motion creates collapsing defenses and generates open looks. I'm wondering how many hockey assists Brunson has this year. Could be a bundle.
ImageImageImage
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,820

Post#24 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:24 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Thibs is key.

Once teams start game planning the high P&R with iShart or Hart, will he adjust another way to maximize Brunson?

We've been doing more weaves and double screens lately, perhaps to offset readymade counters to single screens. Plus, Brunson keeps iterating on his bag of tricks to turn the corner and no one really has an answer for him yet. There were a couple of games this season where he was limited by a defense, but usually within a game or two he had solved those obstacles. He really is the engine on offense. As long as guys stay active, Brunson's motion creates collapsing defenses and generates open looks. I'm wondering how many hockey assists Brunson has this year. Could be a bundle.

I trust HIM to get the ball to the right player who will get it to the right player.
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,102

Post#25 » by Jeffrey » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:40 am

Our bench will be the key. I would like 20-25 points combined... everything else will work itself out.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,721

Post#26 » by Knick4Real » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:43 am

If we end up playing Philly and IF Embiid is healthy, they will be a tough 1st round matchup. Our key is to lean into his lack of conditioning after being out for so long and attempt to wear him down. Leave him gasping for air and needing to leave the arena on a stretcher and we should be good.

If we end up playing Miami, it comes down to coaching. Outsmart Spoelstra and the dirty "Pat the Rat" Riley tricks he will bring. Focus on JB and Bam and force somebody else to beat us. Defense will win us a series against Miami.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#27 » by Worst_to_First » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:27 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Heat tanking so they can avoid us and play the Celtics instead.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,369

Post#28 » by rajajackal » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:11 am

Worst_to_First wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Heat tanking so they can avoid us and play the Celtics instead.

knicks heat ECF would be infernal drama
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,427

Post#29 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:43 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=oWAQ5JzX5AK-44v89eypvw
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,762

Post#30 » by Fat Kat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:51 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,486

Post#31 » by FrozenEnvelope » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:13 pm

OG, we need him to stay healthy. He elevates us to another tier when he plays.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,454

Post#32 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

I see I'll be watching on mute
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,480

Post#33 » by TheGreenArrow » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=W09F6FrMDfp5_y1gKYgF1g
Jonathan2347
Sophomore
And1: 62

Post#34 » by Jonathan2347 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:56 pm

OG being healthy every single game.
Bogan averaging 15 + and shooting 40% plus on 3 pt
Brunson playing perfect aka Dirk chip year
Donte & Duece hitting their shots
Both Harts being consistent
Achiwa having surprise moments/games along with Robinson

Keeping opponents under 100

Sent from my SM-G996U using RealGM mobile app
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,328

Post#35 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:09 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

This guy Barkley sounds like a Cleveland Cavs fan last year, right before we whupped them hard
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,427

Post#36 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:52 pm

I stand with KnicksMuse. The voice of integrity and truth

Read on Twitter
?t=7K-o-V00ZGzTlQcNugiQ_A&s=19
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,480

Post#37 » by TheGreenArrow » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:17 pm

Read on Twitter
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,486

Post#38 » by FrozenEnvelope » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:19 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

No **** it was a bad business decision but it's done and over with. We wanted Philly or Miami and we'll have a chance to walk the talk.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,932

Post#39 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:23 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Would Kobe tank? No he would’ve wanted the smoke. Win or lose I’m glad we didn’t chicken out like the other teams.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,402

Post#40 » by Hes_On_Fire » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:35 pm

You have to beat these teams either way.

Do we want an 'easier' matchup, sure.

But if you're any good you should beat anyone you play.

That being said, the 767ers will be a tough matchup for us.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007

Return to New York Knicks