ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Online dating?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,426

Re: OT: Online dating? 

Post#121 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I tried my hand at entrepreneurship with a dating site "Hookersnblow.org", where the business model was the hookers would deliver the blow to the client, achieving synergy by combining revenue streams from two tried and true businesses.

I didn't account for the fact the hookers always wound up doing all the blow before they got to the client.
You plan things badly. :)

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app

Buzz's business model all but guarantees some collateral damage

BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,014

Post#122 » by NYKinMIA » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:28 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
NYKinMIA wrote:the problem with just going out to a bar is being the old dude is not a great look

and unless you're a drinker too, chances are you going to meet a drinker.
Sad but true. Men have a shelf life too.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app

I got much life left on my shelf, thank you.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 41,207

Post#123 » by Guano » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm

I'm glad I'm married cause building a resume to get some sounds like fcking hell. The streets aren't what they used to be.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,404
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#124 » by BKlutch » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm

I'm pretty certain that giving my number to a woman would result in a fatality.
I'm just not certain whether it would be hers or mine.

Spoiler:
My wife would decide which one. :lol:

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,024

Post#125 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
That's different. :lol: If someone is interested, you'll know.

Yeah, it makes me feel uncomfortable. If you're going to stare at my body, then at least have the courtesy to come over and say "Hello".

For real. Got me out here feeling like a piece of meat

Exactly. They think that they can just have their way with us whenever they want. "NO" MEANS "NO!" b. :lol:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,024

Post#126 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 pm

moocow007 wrote:On a serious note though...look to join clubs that do things that you're interested in or that you have a background in. No these aren't school clubs and don't require you to be in school of any sort.

Example would be if you're big on outdoors and organics there a club I used to belong to called the Appalachian Mountain Clubs (they have Chapters pretty much throughout the northeast). One of their big ones is right in NYC. They have events and outings constantly out in the outdoors (camping, canoeing, park cleanups, feed the hungry, etc.) and will usually go grab food as a group afterwards. All sorts of things. And the people are very chill and just good honest people. No fakes or pretenders. A lot of them are older and plenty of opportunities for relationship building cause they're divorced or their significant other has passed).

I joined only cause they also have a softball club and I was just looking to play some softball on a regular basis without having to deal with big beer bellied macho guys that keep wanting to talk crap and that want to fight you if you beat them lol (grew up with those types). But for those that want to try and find someone that is nice and down to earth, clubs like these I would definitely suggest.

They get to see you and feel who you are and you them likewise without any pressure cause you're doing "community" things. Then as you do more and more things together maybe something builds. Don't need to worry about being catfished or doxed, pressure of knowing what to do on a blind date when it's just you and her (and the pressure's on), concerns that they may be nuts, etc. Think of this approach as more "organic" way of maybe finding someone.

Let's be honest the biggest problem with dating online is that everyone tries so hard to look and sound their best in their bio. Inevitably and almost always one or both will be disappointed (potentially heavily disappointed depending how much you tried to fluff yourself up lol). So instead try something where you get to meet different people pressure free. That way you get to see them as they really are and they get to see you as you really are. Then if you like each other then it's a whole lot more likely to not go right down the **** fast.

Moocow with the Zen-Asian philosophical approach. If you don't look for it, it will come. Perfect! Get involved with others in the activities you enjoy. This is the same advice I gave to many young people I'd meet at the dog parks who complained about how difficult it is on Long Island for young adults to meet others in their peer group. That was never a problem for me back in 1976 when I graduated from high school. 18 year olds were legally allowed to bars and drink and the bars were open to 4 or 5 a.m. Crazy.

Philadelphia, on the other hand, is like the singles capital of the country from an article I recently read in The Philadelphia Inquirer. And the construction of new apartment buildings has exploded. I think many people who live or lived in NYC have moved here after going hybrid at work. It's sooo much less expensive here compared to NYC. And there's also so much to do here, just like in most major cities.
Free Palestine
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,649

Post#127 » by duetta » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:40 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:These dating sites are going to get me killed.

I gave up on them.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,649

Post#128 » by duetta » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 pm

DE FENSE wrote:I met my wife on okcupid. We'll be married 10 years this summer and have a wonderful son.

I used to be very pro online dating after my positive experience, but I think these days its a real sh*tshow. Good luck out there gents.

I used to like OKCupid but then that site became very controlling, limiting the female profiles you could even see to those who had previously liked your profile, etc. Luckily for me, my libido declined right about the same time.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,404
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#129 » by BKlutch » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:17 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:On a serious note though...look to join clubs that do things that you're interested in or that you have a background in. No these aren't school clubs and don't require you to be in school of any sort.

Example would be if you're big on outdoors and organics there a club I used to belong to called the Appalachian Mountain Clubs (they have Chapters pretty much throughout the northeast). One of their big ones is right in NYC. They have events and outings constantly out in the outdoors (camping, canoeing, park cleanups, feed the hungry, etc.) and will usually go grab food as a group afterwards. All sorts of things. And the people are very chill and just good honest people. No fakes or pretenders. A lot of them are older and plenty of opportunities for relationship building cause they're divorced or their significant other has passed).

I joined only cause they also have a softball club and I was just looking to play some softball on a regular basis without having to deal with big beer bellied macho guys that keep wanting to talk crap and that want to fight you if you beat them lol (grew up with those types). But for those that want to try and find someone that is nice and down to earth, clubs like these I would definitely suggest.

They get to see you and feel who you are and you them likewise without any pressure cause you're doing "community" things. Then as you do more and more things together maybe something builds. Don't need to worry about being catfished or doxed, pressure of knowing what to do on a blind date when it's just you and her (and the pressure's on), concerns that they may be nuts, etc. Think of this approach as more "organic" way of maybe finding someone.

Let's be honest the biggest problem with dating online is that everyone tries so hard to look and sound their best in their bio. Inevitably and almost always one or both will be disappointed (potentially heavily disappointed depending how much you tried to fluff yourself up lol). So instead try something where you get to meet different people pressure free. That way you get to see them as they really are and they get to see you as you really are. Then if you like each other then it's a whole lot more likely to not go right down the **** fast.

Moocow with the Zen-Asian philosophical approach. If you don't look for it, it will come. Perfect! Get involved with others in the activities you enjoy. This is the same advice I gave to many young people I'd meet at the dog parks who complained about how difficult it is on Long Island for young adults to meet others in their peer group. That was never a problem for me back in 1976 when I graduated from high school. 18 year olds were legally allowed to bars and drink and the bars were open to 4 or 5 a.m. Crazy.

Philadelphia, on the other hand, is like the singles capital of the country from an article I recently read in The Philadelphia Inquirer. And the construction of new apartment buildings has exploded. I think many people who live or lived in NYC have moved here after going hybrid at work. It's sooo much less expensive here compared to NYC. And there's also so much to do here, just like in most major cities.

You're just carping because all the women in NYC you want to date -- you can't afford! Well I have news for you, they can't afford to live there, either.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,914

Post#130 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:44 am

Stannis wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:These dating sites are going to get me killed.

This thread is giving me flashbacks to fatboys sex doll thread. A+ thread.

There was also that "my girl got fat" thread.

There's probably a few others I can't remember.

Ah yeah. That was gold :lol:
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,068

Post#131 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:25 am

Guano wrote:I'm glad I'm married cause building a resume to get some sounds like fcking hell. The streets aren't what they used to be.

It's **** up too because I get more obvious female attention now - and by now I mean when I was married but still did things - than I did when I was single and it's like "where were you?" Not fooling anyone.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Post#132 » by Stannis » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:29 am

Capn'O wrote:
Guano wrote:I'm glad I'm married cause building a resume to get some sounds like fcking hell. The streets aren't what they used to be.

It's **** up too because I get more obvious female attention now - and by now I mean when I was married but still did things - than I did when I was single and it's like "where were you?" Not fooling anyone.

Dating can feel like job hunting now. They want you more when you have one.

I just got a raise at my job because I was getting other offers and word got out.

A women tend to be more "aggressive" with me when I am in a relationship; or even if another woman is just showing a little interest.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#133 » by Stannis » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:34 am

Chislic wrote:Met my wife online dating. Married 13 years. We've been together 15.

Honestly, 15 years ago I thought online dating was for weirdos. :crazy: That was until one day my roommate at the time brought home a smart, attractive and seemingly "normal" girl. :o

Online dating is not for everyone. There is a lot of luck involved as well. Still, it's a nice way to meet people. Keep your expectations low and you'll always come out on top.

I don't remember being too secretive with my number at the time, but I don't think I gave that out until after I met the girl.

15 years ago is a long time ago. I think those were the golden ages of online dating and even just hook ups.

Now its mostly bots, scammers, or promoting their OnlyFans.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#134 » by Stannis » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:36 am

I think a lot do not even trust dating websites/apps anymore. If you look at the stock prices of Match Group and Bumble, they've been dropping like a hot knife. Just imo, I don't think people are big on these anymore.
Free Palestine
Guano
RealGM

Post#135 » by Guano » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:04 am

Capn'O wrote:

Seems to always be that way.

I don't even entertain that sht. One thing I've picked up the older I get is that I'm not built different. I've seen too many of the homies fck up their lives and their families thinking they could be sneaky. So in the first 5mins of meeting a woman I'm mentioning my wife. I'm not about to add years to my career for the opportunity to have some awkwardness with a random.

Plus the longer I've been with my wife the better it has gotten. The kids(teens) don't really fck with us right now unless they need something so we have more time to kick it which is kinda dope. We are transforming from dad and mom back to wife and husband.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#136 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 am

Guano wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

I don't even entertain that sht. One thing I've picked up the older I get is that I'm not built different. I've seen too many of the homies fck up their lives and their families thinking they could be sneaky. So in the first 5mins of meeting a woman I'm mentioning my wife. I'm not about to add years to my career for the opportunity to have some awkwardness with a random.

Plus the longer I've been with my wife the better it has gotten. The kids(teens) don't really fck with us right now unless they need something so we have more time to kick it which is kinda dope. We are transforming from dad and mom back to wife and husband.

100% truth. If it ain't broke don't break it.

I'm looking forward to that stage. There are hints that it's coming but only hints.
BAF Clippers

Guano
RealGM

Post#137 » by Guano » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:17 am

Capn'O wrote:
Guano wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

I'm looking forward to that stage. There are hints that it's coming but only hints.

The beginning is always fun. But the stability and security of a life shared together is next level.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#138 » by Capn'O » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:22 am

Guano wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Guano wrote:

The beginning is always fun. But the stability and security of a life shared together is next level.

I'm talking about the teenage years where the kids ignore you. Ours are 5 and 8. They're still full timers.
BAF Clippers

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,338

Post#139 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:46 am

Guano wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Guano wrote:

Yeah. That's the part I miss.
:beer: RIP mags
Guano
RealGM

Post#140 » by Guano » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:54 am

Capn'O wrote:
Guano wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

I'm talking about the teenage years where the kids ignore you. Ours are 5 and 8. They're still full timers.

Enjoy it cause soon you'll get the short answers, "yeah" "ok" "I'm fine" "whatever" but the cool thing is they come back around in their early 20s if we aren't a**holes. My oldest is 21 and came back around. He calls and kicks it now.

Return to New York Knicks