ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NFL 24-25 Offseason Thread - Draft Day is upon us

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 37,466

Re: OT: NFL 24-25 Offseason Thread - Draft Day is upon us 

Post#141 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:19 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Penix before JJ.

I thought Atlanta was in win-now mode. Strange pick.

Apparently Cousins was blindsided by this.

Atlanta is weird man.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,446

Post#142 » by DOT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:23 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Penix before JJ.

I thought Atlanta was in win-now mode. Strange pick.

Apparently Cousins was blindsided by this.

Atlanta is weird man.

I get they want insurance right, cause Kirk is 36 coming off an Achilles tear and might not be ready to start the season but like, at 8?

And he's already 24, so if Kirk plays 2 years, Penix isn't gonna start til he's 26, and if you cut Kirk he'll have a $25 million dead cap hit so you don't really get the benefit of the cheap rookie contract

If they think Penix is the guy, they think he's the guy and you kinda gotta do what you gotta do, but then why give Cousins a massive deal?
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#143 » by DOT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 am

Anyways, I love trading down and getting BTJ

Ideally, I think DeJean falls to us at 49, cause we need a slot CB and potentially safety help (though I'm high on Antonio Johnson who's slated to fill that role for us this year), but I wouldn't be mad with taking a boundary CB

Either that or Johnny Newton would be my ideal scenario, him and Armstead would be an elite interior pass rush, along with a premier edge in Josh Allen would be electric, especially if Travon can develop. Even if he can't, he can still play the role he played at Georgia where he's on cleanup duty and focusing most of his effort on run defense

Those were two guys I wanted us to take at 17 and then take like, Keon Coleman in the 2nd, so if we can trade back, collect more picks, get BTJ as well as one of those guys, that'd be a massive win for us.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,583

Post#144 » by FrozenEnvelope » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:05 pm

Nabers better be Odell level and JJM/Penix/Nix better not be franchise level QB's. Just saying.

I do think we take a QB today.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,685

Post#145 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:16 pm

Hoping the Giants can find a way to get CB Cooper DeJean... Would be a really nice pickup
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,195

Post#146 » by Jeffrey » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:16 pm

FrozenEnvelope wrote:Nabers better be Odell level and JJM/Penix/Nix better not be franchise level QB's. Just saying.

I do think we take a QB today.

Oh god no. We thought Nix and Penix were 2nd rounders a few months ago. If you missed one, just wait until next year.

There's a lot of good prospects that will definitely help us in the 2nd and 3rd.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#147 » by DOT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:46 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Hoping the Giants can find a way to get CB Cooper DeJean... Would be a really nice pickup

I think he should go no sooner than 49

I feel like this is the same thing as Brian Branch falling to the 2nd last year, dude was clearly a 1st round talent, but I guess teams don't like to spend a 1st round pick on a slot CB

Regardless, it'll be great value wherever he goes, so long as they don't put him on the outside. I think he's just okay as a boundary CB, but he could be a great slot/hybrid safety type.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,202

Post#148 » by GONYK » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:48 pm

All I know is that selecting a WR shows that Schoen and Daboll are not worried about their jobs.

They didn't feel any pressure to pick a QB just to arbitrarily extend their timeline.
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,137

Post#149 » by TerrenceClarke » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:51 pm

The Draft for QBs is bad next year. This one dude who wrote an article for I think USA Today predicted before the draft that there was going to be a crazy run on QBs this year cause there isnt many good QBs next year. He was right, I think last night was the first time in draft history ever that so many QBs were picked in a certain number of slots.

THey are saying next year its one of the worst classes in recent memory.

You have Sanders but the Jury is still out him, plus his father already said he wont be playing in cold weather so who knows how all that shakes out and highly doubt we finish bad enough for him anyway.

If Im the Giants you go after a QB today. At least put someone of the roster who has promise which I think Milton has.
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#150 » by TerrenceClarke » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm

GONYK wrote:All I know is that selecting a WR shows that Schoen and Daboll are not worried about their jobs.

They didn't feel any pressure to pick a QB just to arbitrarily extend their timeline.

not feeling pressure doesnt mean schit tho. They can be wrong.

We suck this year and Daboll 100% has to worry about his job. Scohen will be given a longer leash that Daboll will.

the reality is they wanted a QB, but they one they truly wanted, they couldnt get in Maye. They passed on JJ, but by all accounts they wanted Maye. Pats was not moving off that spot, so they switched gears to WR. Nabers was seen as a better prospect than JJ or any of the remaining QBs.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,202

Post#151 » by GONYK » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:11 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:
GONYK wrote:All I know is that selecting a WR shows that Schoen and Daboll are not worried about their jobs.

We suck this year and Daboll 100% has to worry about his job. Scohen will be given a longer leash that Daboll will.

the reality is they wanted a QB, but they one they truly wanted, they couldnt get in Maye. They passed on JJ, but by all accounts they wanted Maye. Pats was not moving off that spot, so they switched gears to WR. Nabers was seen as a better prospect than JJ or any of the remaining QBs.

Sure, they wanted a QB, but they only wanted the one they valued. They didn't feel pressure to take one just to sell some new era and get more runway.
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#152 » by TerrenceClarke » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:47 pm

GONYK wrote:
TerrenceClarke wrote:

Sure, they wanted a QB, but they only wanted the one they valued. They didn't feel pressure to take one just to sell some new era and get more runway.

I agree on that. Nabers was the best prospect available. so you can never be faulted for that.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,988

Post#153 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:49 pm

My perspective.

I can't blame them for trying for the QB they really wanted (obviously it was Maye).

Whats a bit confusing is why were there so many leaks that the Giants either were trying to trade up or were close if the Pats really had no interest in trading the pick (which also makes no sense if they thought Maye was a franchise QB...why even listen to offers)?

But I can't be upset at the Nabers pick or the QB's that went after the pick. You can't just pick a QB if you don't love a QB. They obviously targeted the QB's they really wanted Daniels and Maye (reported they liked Daniels the most which I can't blame). So they pivoted once they couldn't secure a QB they desired to picking BPA available which you can't blame them.

If anything this is more reason when you need a QB to "tank" harder.

But Nabers should be a special talent...but the QB room is still in flux. I guess they are still going to role with Daniel Jones and I have always thought he is a solid/good QB if the situation around him is solid. But the injuries scare the sh*t out of me and tough to fully plan for him as the QB for the future.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,685

Post#154 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:00 pm

mpharris36 wrote:My perspective.

I can't blame them for trying for the QB they really wanted (obviously it was Maye).

Whats a bit confusing is why were there so many leaks that the Giants either were trying to trade up or were close if the Pats really had no interest in trading the pick (which also makes no sense if they thought Maye was a franchise QB...why even listen to offers)?

But I can't be upset at the Nabers pick or the QB's that went after the pick. You can't just pick a QB if you don't love a QB. They obviously targeted the QB's they really wanted Daniels and Maye (reported they liked Daniels the most which I can't blame). So they pivoted once they couldn't secure a QB they desired to picking BPA available which you can't blame them.

But Nabers should be a special talent...but the QB room is still in flux. I guess they are still going to role with Daniel Jones and I have always thought he is a solid/good QB if the situation around him is solid. But the injuries scare the sh*t out of me and tough to fully plan for him as the QB for the future.

Hard to say which of those leaks were even true or where they came from. Maybe the intent was just to cause confusion. Or maybe just made up stuff for clicks.

Imo, the price to get to to the top 3 was probably just insane if possible at all
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#155 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Hard to say which of those leaks were even true or where they came from. Maybe the intent was just to cause confusion. Or maybe just made up stuff for clicks.

Imo, the price to get to to the top 3 was probably just insane if possible at all

My initial thought was maybe it was Maye's camp (agent) that was leaking the Giants trying to trade up to get the fan base excited.

Maye is a boom bust development type QB...elite traits but there are things he has to work on and is raw...where would you rather go? To the Pats with a defensive head coach...or a well known QB developer in Daboll?

Thats at least my initial reaction to the leaks.

And like you said the Giants were interested...but the Pats price seemed astronomical.

ROSTER

TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach

Post#156 » by TerrenceClarke » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 pm

My Guess is they wanted a Haul cause they sensed desperation for Maye. You had credible people reporting it so some of the smoke I think was true.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#157 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:32 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:My Guess is they wanted a Haul cause they sensed desperation for Maye. You had credible people reporting it so some of the smoke I think was true.

The Giants also did a ton of research on these QB's...they didn't just do that for **** and giggles. They heavily scouted all the top QB's...so we knew there was interest.

Picking 6 was a tough spot especially with how the draft shacked out and the top 3 teams all being QB desperate teams...a trade up seemed unlikely. But it was reported that we were heavily interested in moving up.

If the cost was absolutely going to gut us on our draft capital both this year and next year then I can understand why we didn't pull the trigger. Its almost sounds like the Pats set a price they knew we wouldn't match because they weren't going to move the pick at the end of the day.

The JJM stuff obviously was smoke...since we past on him.

I guess time will tell if that was the right call or not.

ROSTER

cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,717

Post#158 » by cgmw » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:56 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Two things have bugged me as a casual Giants/NFL fan.

1) Nonstop media coverage of the draft for damn near 3 months as if the draft was always tomorrow —- the false sense of urgency and importance driven by Disney’s desperate need to sell ads just didn’t work for me.

2) The G-Men can’t protect a QB. Why draft another QB? Let Jones either earn that huge contract or die trying until the line gets fixed. It’s insane to think drafting Drake Maye would somehow elevate this franchise to contender when odds are Drake Maye would be just another high priced pancake left for dead on the Meadowlands artificial turf.

The “Draft a QB” storyline was just hot air media coverage pumping up an already over-inflated media event. BPA or the best OT was the right move all along.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#159 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 pm

We need to build a team and that requires stockpiling talent. We can draft our QB next offseason.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#160 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 pm

cgmw wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Two things have bugged me as a casual Giants/NFL fan.

1) Nonstop media coverage of the draft for damn near 3 months as if the draft was always tomorrow —- the false sense of urgency and importance driven by Disney’s desperate need to sell ads just didn’t work for me.

2) The G-Men can’t protect a QB. Why draft another QB? Let Jones either earn that huge contract or die trying until the line gets fixed. It’s insane to think drafting Drake Maye would somehow elevate this franchise to contender when odds are Drake Maye would be just another high priced pancake left for dead on the Meadowlands artificial turf.

The “Draft a QB” storyline was just hot air media coverage pumping up an already over-inflated media event. BPA or the best OT was the right move all along.

Right.

I'm fine with Jones and Lock. We aren't making the playoffs so what's the rush?

Take BPA. If BPA in Round 2 is a QB, fine, but we aren't in a position where we should be reaching for guys who aren't day 1 players.

Return to New York Knicks