ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NFL 24-25 Offseason Thread - Draft Day is upon us

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,841

OT: NFL 24-25 Offseason Thread - Draft Day is upon us 

Post#1 » by mpharris36 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:11 am

Lot of stuff swirling around as we are less than 24 hours from the draft.

There is a legit source (not mainstream media) now saying Giants have a deal with Arizona pretty much lined up (obviously for a QB). But won't happen until they are on the clock.

*this was a source that said the burns trade was going to happen before everyone was picking up on it*
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,176

Re: OT: NFL 24-25 Offseason Thread - Draft Day is upon us 

Post#2 » by GONYK » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 am

mpharris36 wrote:Lot of stuff swirling around as we are less than 24 hours from the draft.

There is a legit source (not mainstream media) now saying Giants have a deal with Arizona pretty much lined up (obviously for a QB). But won't happen until they are on the clock.

*this was a source that said the burns trade was going to happen before everyone was picking up on it*
This follows the report that the Pats were locked in on Maye, which seemed to be the response to the report that we were comfortable taking Penix at 6.

Most likely scenario, IMO, is that we flip 4 to the Pats for 3.

That way, we get Maye and they get JJ without risking getting boxed out.
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,124

Post#3 » by TerrenceClarke » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:02 am

Finally we are here
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran
And1: 2,630

Post#4 » by Ghetto Gospel » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:49 pm

mpharris36 wrote:Lot of stuff swirling around as we are less than 24 hours from the draft.

did they give the framework of that deal? what did they say we were giving up
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#5 » by mpharris36 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:

no, still fluid. I think there is still potentially that 3 teamer in the works between Pats/Cards/Giants. With picks 3, 4, and 6.

I am sure the Giants are doing everything in there power to not give up there 2025 1st round pick because if they are picking a QB he probably holds a clipboard so they likely wont be very good.

Our advantage to not giving up as much as Minnesota would have to is we have 6 which is a sweet spot for a team looking for a really good WR and ARZ is not looking to drop below 6 per reports...so even though Minny has 11+23+ there 2025 1st dangling...6 and maybe a 2nd round pick next year and another pick this year compensates AZ enough to still get there WR and move off the pick.

He's a pretty reliable source though...has nailed a lot of stuff in the past.

I'm sure more stuff will come out now and between the draft later so stay tuned...

ROSTER

Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#6 » by Ghetto Gospel » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:

no, still fluid. I think there is still potentially that 3 teamer in the works between Pats/Cards/Giants. With picks 3, 4, and 6.

I am sure the Giants are doing everything in there power to not give up there 2025 1st round pick because if they are picking a QB he probably holds a clipboard so they likely wont be very good.

Our advantage to not giving up as much as Minnesota would have to is we have 6 which is a sweet spot for a team looking for a really good WR and ARZ is not looking to drop below 6 per reports...so even though Minny has 11+23+ there 2025 1st dangling...6 and maybe a 2nd round pick next year and another pick this year compensates AZ enough to still get there WR and move off the pick.

I'm sure more stuff will come out now and between the draft later so stay tuned...

i see. just looking at the last trade up from 6 to 3 it was for darnold and that cost 3 2nds, one of them being a premium 2nd that we traded for burns.

maybe giving up this years 3rd and next years 3rd would make up for that 2nd? so it'd look something like #6, this years 2nd and 3rd and next years 2nd and 3rd? seems expensive for us when our team is lacking in a lot of spots. if it's for maye, he better hit
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#7 » by mpharris36 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:16 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:

i see. just looking at the last trade up from 6 to 3 it was for darnold and that cost 3 2nds, one of them being a premium 2nd that we traded for burns.

maybe giving up this years 3rd and next years 3rd would make up for that 2nd? so it'd look something like #6, this years 2nd and 3rd and next years 2nd and 3rd? seems expensive for us when our team is lacking in a lot of spots. if it's for maye, he better hit

I think Brandon Beane said it...if the QB hits no one will care what we gave up.

If he doesn't hit I will be fired anyway :lol:

ROSTER

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,413

Post#8 » by DOT » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:maybe giving up this years 3rd and next years 3rd would make up for that 2nd? so it'd look something like #6, this years 2nd and 3rd and next years 2nd and 3rd? seems expensive for us when our team is lacking in a lot of spots. if it's for maye, he better hit

I think that'd be my concern for you guys is, y'all really have a lot of holes on that roster, and trading assets to move up for a QB makes it harder to give him the support he needs going forward, even if you're sitting him for a year

It's not quite the same, but just look at what's going on in Carolina. Sure, you can say Bryce was probably not that good anyways, but you can't tell me they didn't hamstring him by trading away a really good WR and what turned out to be the #1 overall pick this year.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,600

Post#9 » by Synciere » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:32 pm

I'm officially entering my old man stage because I hate how the television dollars have changed the draft from one day to three days. I can't get excited about the first round anymore, even two years ago when the Giants had two top ten picks. It was so much better as one long day.

Also, I'm guessing some of you saw The Athletic's article on the lack of depth in this draft due to the NIL. Only 58 underclassmen declared for the draft this year, clearly because many of these guys are making more in college than they would as late round picks, and most teams only have about 150 guys with draftable grades. That means Day 3 is going to be a bunch of drafting guys who would normally have been undrafted free agents and have even less of a chance of becoming legitimate players. We need another two or so years to even this out where the older guys who stay in school longer eventually have to come out anyway, but can't be sure if we'll ever see 150-200 underclassmen declare again.

Thoroughly uninspired at the prospect of the Giants having to deal with Jones for another year even though we were clearly bad enough to have lost one or two more games. Not endorsing tanking or anything, and history says half of these qbs are going to bust anyway, but the G-Men are in line for another bad year. I believe they probably have a deal in place with New England or Arizona, but I firmly believe we should only do that deal if it's for Caleb (nonstarter) or Jayden. I'm a Michigan football fan and have watched every JJ snap. The idea of drafting him in the top 5 makes me throw up a little in my mouth. Drake Maye is Jones Part Deaux. Sad state of affairs for the Giants QB room.
Ghetto Gospel
Veteran

Post#10 » by Ghetto Gospel » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I think Brandon Beane said it...if the QB hits no one will care what we gave up.

how can any QB look good when the o-line still sucks (pending evan neal, but probably a bust), and we still don't have a #1, maybe not even a #2 receiver? we'd be putting drake maye in a helpless position for at least 2 years, and that's probably long enough for daboll/schoen to get axed and then the new regime would probably want a new QB to tie themselves to anyway

personally, i don't even like the idea of JJM at #6, but i think that's a better prospect because at least we could draft a receiver or OL in the 2nd/3rd and help him next year with good picks as well
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#11 » by mpharris36 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:39 pm

Ghetto Gospel wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Ghetto Gospel wrote:

how can any QB look good when the o-line still sucks (pending evan neal, but probably a bust), and we still don't have a #1, maybe not even a #2 receiver? we'd be putting drake maye in a helpless position for at least 2 years, and that's probably long enough for daboll/schoen to get axed and then the new regime would probably want a new QB to tie themselves to anyway

personally, i don't even like the idea of JJM at #6, but i think that's a better prospect because at least we could draft a receiver or OL in the 2nd/3rd and help him next year with good picks as well

If we draft a QB (Maye or JJM) they will be holding a clipboard all year so I wouldn't really be too concerned about the supporting case this year. There are rumors that the Giants have put a call in with the 49ers to ask about Aiyuk.

And then in theory you will be cutting Daniel Jones next year and freeing up a lot of money to get additional help on the roster.

So its a little different from Carolina in the sense is we don't have to play our QB right away...Daniel Jones and Lock will battle that out.

ROSTER

FrozenEnvelope
Veteran
And1: 3,530

Post#12 » by FrozenEnvelope » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:53 pm

I hate that the draft and Game 3 is on at the same time!

Anyway, I hope Schoen and Daboll did their homework and are 110% sure if they decide to trade for a QB. They cannot miss with this one. If this pick is a QB and he isn't the QB of the future, both Schoen and Daboll will be gone.

Personally, with so many holes on the roster, I would prefer to stay where we are and take one of the WRs. We really REALLY need one! That is not to say Daniel Jones is the future, cause he isn't, but this should not be considered the end all by all opportunity to address the QB position. There will be other opportunities. Do not reach!
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,496

Post#13 » by Strick » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:18 pm

5 years ago today we drafted Daniel Jones. Tonight we reverse the curse!!
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,613

Post#14 » by bishnykfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 pm

I’d be fine taking a QB if we stay at #6. I’m not an expert obviously but from what I’ve read and seen I’m not in love with any QB in the draft other than Daniels. But considering the importance of the position it’s worth the gamble if we stay at #6. McCarthy and/or Maye would be fine at that spot.

I’m not trading up and giving up this years second and next years first though to get the fourth QB in this draft class. I’d be fine sticking at 6 and taking Nabers or Odunze if four QBs are taking in the top five.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,413

Post#15 » by DOT » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 pm

I think the only positions I would be mad at taking would be edge (just cause there aren't any elite edge prospects and we've already invested so much there), iLB cause we have good LBs and positional value, and RB. Really anyone else we take I can see a justification for, I think we're in a good spot where we can just sit back and see who falls to 17

I wouldn't hate trading up for one of Nabers/Odunze if they make it to 9 or 10, but I think this is just a wait and see type of draft. Honestly, would probably like a trade down depending on who's there.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
TerrenceClarke
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,124

Post#16 » by TerrenceClarke » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:38 pm

Daniels is the only QB worth Trading for. I kinda dont like this talk of giving up assets for Maye or JJM. I would be fine at 6 for either one, but draft capital better be for a Daniels move if he makes it pass washignton.
Memphis Grizzlies AKA Wing Stop
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,547

Post#17 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm

Kinda thinking there's just a lot of smoke and the Giants dont move up. But who knows

Read on Twitter
?t=kNq-sa0bfYbDrmJxfqjszQ&s=19
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,990

Post#18 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#19 » by GONYK » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

TerrenceClarke wrote:Daniels is the only QB worth Trading for. I kinda dont like this talk of giving up assets for Maye or JJM. I would be fine at 6 for either one, but draft capital better be for a Daniels move if he makes it pass washignton.

Schoen outright said that the draft strategy being developed is based on the assumption that Williams is going first.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#20 » by GONYK » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 pm

From Dan Jeremiah:

I wouldn’t rule out Minnesota trading up a couple spots for a quarterback, but all the information I’ve gathered in the last couple days suggests the Vikings are not crazy about making a bold move up the board for McCarthy. I believe they’ve grown more comfortable with Michael Penix Jr. as a fallback option if a team were to leapfrog them for McCarthy.

He doesn't think there will be any trades into the top 10

Return to New York Knicks