ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Thibs use an 8th man to replace Bojan? If so, who?

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

JayTWill
Junior
And1: 147

Re: Will Thibs use an 8th man to replace Bojan? If so, who? 

Post#21 » by JayTWill » Fri May 3, 2024 4:41 pm

I would love to see Precious get some minutes at the backup 4 to give Hart a break. Precious can also matchup against Siakam at times which would free up OG to guard Hali to give him a different look and slow him down if he gets going against our other defenders.

But what's more important to me than just adding another guy to the rotation is finding a lineup that can look semi functional without Brunson so he can get a rest. Overall the team played relatively well without Brunson on the court but part of that was Thibs brought him back in immediately if things got bad for a minute. I would love to see iHart with the second unit with Brunson out just to help as a facilitator next to McBride and the other Nova guys.

The second unit could try to go all defense in the limited non-Brunson minutes but the idea of McBride, Hart, Precious, Mitch and whoever on the court at the same time scares me. I just want to find a way to get the starters longer rests. Or maybe they can just find a way to blow the Pacers out by 30-40 in 3 quarters to get the starters but with how the 4th quarters played out against the Sixers there is no way Thibs is going to be less Thibsy with the minutes distribution.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,654

Post#22 » by mpharris36 » Fri May 3, 2024 5:23 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:even if you play precious, he's not gonna play at the same time as a center so it really doesn't help the minutes problem. there's only 1 guy he can play and that's burks. and they said a game or 2 ago that burks has a bad shoulder. i don't know the severity of that injury.

you probably just give Burks 5-10 minutes in game 1 and see if he can contribute anything. You can always pull the plug.

But at this point you can't play a 7-man rotation right out of the gate in a playoffs.

Donte and Brunson can play huge minutes but you want that in select games.

If Obi or Siakam is playing the 4 you could see some precious minutes.

i know they got away with it in the regular season but in the playoffs that's 2 guys you can ignore on defense. it's no good.

I agree it can't be more than a few minute stretches' just trying to avoid OG and Hart playing the entire game :lol:
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Kidknick!
Head Coach
And1: 1,763

Post#23 » by Kidknick! » Fri May 3, 2024 5:35 pm

Thibs preparing to OPEN THE BURKIN BAG.

Actually, they kinda should kick the tires on Burks, if only to have six fouls and give guys a rest.

Precious should get time too.
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,520

Post#24 » by Grinditout » Fri May 3, 2024 5:46 pm

Precious will have his spots in this. I actually expect Deuce to get more minutes and Thibs going small ball.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,295

Post#25 » by Besart19 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:21 pm

god shammgod wrote:even if you play precious, he's not gonna play at the same time as a center so it really doesn't help the minutes problem. there's only 1 guy he can play and that's burks. and they said a game or 2 ago that burks has a bad shoulder. i don't know the severity of that injury.

bad shoulder in any case means awful shooting mechanics... and we need shooting awfully
Strength and Honour!
KNICKS007
Sophomore
And1: 138

Post#26 » by KNICKS007 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:33 pm

Thibs is like MDA. they don't expand their rotation during the playoffs (due to injury) , the reduce it, so I can easily see him playing a 7 man rotation.

I would prefer Precious, but unless something happens to Mitch or I hart, he's not going to play him. I recalled against philly, for a quick 2 minutes, Nick nurse used Reed 6 7" at C to give embiid some rest, and Thibs countered that by Moving OG to play center as opposed to playing Precious..That pretty much tells me all i need to know
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,405

Post#27 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat May 4, 2024 2:09 am

GONYK wrote:Precious will get more time this next series. Indy requires more switching and doesn't need size at the 5 at all times.

With Mitch & I-Hart, the Knicks will always play size at the 5. I think that's a given unless someone gets hurt, and if that happens, Precious steps into the rotation.

But everyone healthy, I think Precious minutes will come at the 4 or not at all.

McBride can sub in for Donte, depending on who's hitting their 3s and when Brunson needs a rest.

But when people say 7 man rotation, it's really 5 players sharing 4 positions. That's maybe even worse, but Josh Hart (6 games 278 minutes against Philly), over 46 minutes a game, and OK, one was overtime. That's nuts.

Brunson 263 minutes (44 per game), OG 250 (42). That's a little nuts.

If they want Brunson to play less, McBride plays PG more. Precious won't help there either.

Yes, I think Thibs should work Precious into the rotation to give Josh/OG more rest. Do I think he will? I have no idea. I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't.
You’ve gotta have Hart
Miles and miles and miles of Hart

Return to New York Knicks