ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Avengers Movie

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Re: OT: Avengers Movie 

Post#21 » by Mecca » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:54 pm

couigh cough geeks cough cough JK
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Jammer345
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#22 » by Jammer345 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:02 pm

Avengers isnt until 2011, as the law firm im working at right now just did the copyright check, and title check for it. Won't be for a while fellas :(
Knicks Fan From Birth!!!
Thank You Donnie for Everything
vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 71

Post#23 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:12 pm

Yeah - They've registered a movie titled "The First Avenger: Captain America" for May 2011, and then The Avengers scheduled for July 2011, which could end up being AWESOME if they actually get released like that.
DownWithRadio
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#24 » by DownWithRadio » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:16 pm

All of these members helped form the team in Marvel Adventures: Avengers vol 1 #1 :

Captain America - Steven Rogers Marvel Adventures: Avengers vol 1 #1 (July 2006)
Hulk - Dr. Robert Bruce Banner Marvel Adventures: Avengers vol 1 #1 (July 2006)
Iron Man - Anthony Edward Stark Marvel Adventures: Avengers vol 1 #1 (July 2006)
Spider-Man - Peter Benjamin Parker Marvel Adventures: Avengers vol 1 #1 (July 2006)
Storm - Ororo Munroe Marvel Adventures: Avengers vol 1 #1 (July 2006)
The Wasp - Janet van Dyne Marvel Adventures: Avengers vol 1 #1 (July 2006)
Wolverine - James "Logan" Howlett Marvel Adventures: Avengers vol 1 #1 (July 2006)

This is the most recent list of Avengers. Anything is possible in Hollywood gents.

SAY NO TO THOR. SAY NO TO ANT MAN!!
DownWithRadio
Veteran

Post#25 » by DownWithRadio » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:20 pm

No Wasp either please :(
Jammer345
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#26 » by Jammer345 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Thor was always the type to do things solo anyways, but he was cool to use in Marvel ultimate alliance even though he sucked.
Knicks Fan From Birth!!!
Thank You Donnie for Everything
Jakespeare
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#27 » by Jakespeare » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:33 pm

How can you say no to Ant-Man and Thor? They are two of the founding members.
NYSport
Sixth Man
And1: 45

Post#28 » by NYSport » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:08 pm

vinnie_vegas69 wrote:Not a chance - They didn't spend hundreds of millions on making and promoting a movie where the Hulk becomes much more of a hero than a problem only to have him revert into a villain in the Avengers movie.

People are going to side with the Hulk if they make that movie. You don't turn your Avengers team into the bad guys.

Sub-Mariner, Loki or the Skrulls could make a lot more sense as villains.

At the end

**spoiler**when he was meditating, it seem like he was trying to controll the transformation, so I agree that he won't be a villain. But I do see Abomination as a possible villain since he wasn't off'd in the movie. **end of spoiler**

Also - Given the role of a black Nick Fury in forming the team, clearly they'll be following a little bit of the Ultimate universe story in the plotline of the movie, so the Chitauri might be used... And if so, hopefully they're used better than they've been used in the past.

The Ultimate vol. 1 and 2 are what got me into reading graphic novels. If the movies would commit to that same approach, we'll see more movies like Iron Man and less of Spider Man 3.
Pedro Pistolas
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#29 » by Pedro Pistolas » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:20 pm

IMO , Iron Man and Hulk are NOW the cream of the crop when it comes to superhero/comic movies...
Both movies were GREAT
Directors need to seriously try to emulate the approach that those 2 movies took..
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#30 » by moocow007 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Mr. Wonderful wrote:How can you say no to Ant-Man and Thor? They are two of the founding members.

Exactly.

I think people are concerned about Thor because of the flub movies they've tried previously to make and there's no question that it's going to be extremely difficult to do Thor (who is supposed to be this larger than live mythical god) justice. But if they can get it right Thor could be absolutely huge.
DownWithRadio
Veteran

Post#31 » by DownWithRadio » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 am

I'm just not a fan of superman style heroes, especially ones in viking costumes. How they can make either Thor or Ant Man on par with the Iron Mans, Hulks, and Spidermans of the world, you got me. The beauty of these current Marvel movies is that they've adapted the stories to modern day believability (Spiderman 3, although a stretch, still worked). Creating Thor and Ant Man is just going to crap on all of the work they've done to move away from failures like Daredevil and Elektra.

Here are some examples:

- In X Men (1) Wolverine jokes with the rest of the team about wearing yellow spandex.
- In the Hulk, Bruce jokes with Dr. Ross about wearing giant purple shorts.

I like how they've modernized the characters. Someone tell me how they can do that with a viking and a tiny little man (read Disney).

Even Captain America worries me. I hope they don't put him in blue spandex.
vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 71

Post#32 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:41 pm

Well:

1) Apparently the script for Thor is amazing, and Matthew Vaughn is directing it, so I could easily see that movie being awesome. Whether he'll fit in with The Avengers remains to be seen, but this is a guy who made both Layer Cake and Stardust, so it could go in either direction.

2) Ant-Man is pretty easy to imagine fitting in, IMO. I don't see how a tiny little man is any harder to believe than a big green man. He's obviously not going to be a heavy hitter, but every team needs a smart guy and an underdog, so he could fill that role.

3) Spidey worked in spandex - Why not Cap? The Ultimate Version with the combat boots and the pocket belt, moreso than the classic version with the red leather. Plus, you have to remember that he'll have a solo movie first, and his costume will likely evolve from the WWII era soldier uniform into the more classic costume in the course of that movie, and once that movie is made, the costume in the Avengers movie won't be an issue.

That would work for me.
DownWithRadio
Veteran

Post#33 » by DownWithRadio » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Maybe I'm just prejudice against Thor and Superman because of their uber abilities. It's like turning on God mode in a video game. I don't know how you make a Viking fit in with Robert Downy Jr. as Tony Stark and Edward Norton as the Hulk. Both were done so beautifully, that adding the guy from the Snickers Feast commercial just kills it IMO.

As far as Ant Man? I dont know. How are they going to make it serious? Pym has always been kind of a joke to me.

But I do like that Cap. I hope that's the direction they go with it.

Return to New York Knicks