ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers only begining search for Brands replacement?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Clippers only begining search for Brands replacement? 

Post#1 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:26 pm

By Ramona Shelburne on July 12, 2008 3:22 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | ShareThis

I'm told that the Clippers did indeed inquire with the Knicks about power forward Zach Randolph, but it was more of a fact-finding mission and didn't seem to go anywhere. At least for the time being. Apparently, this happened a few days ago. The plan, right now, is to take a few days and assess the situation, then decide on Plan A, B and C

http://insidesocal.com/clippers/
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Re: Clippers only begining search for Brands replacement? 

Post#2 » by VinnyTheMick » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:13 pm

I'm not surprised. Explore all avenues. I think they'll be back. I just don't see ATL letting Josh Smith go unless LAC blows their wad on him & ATL doesn't match.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#3 » by NYKBaller » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:22 pm

josh smith and okafor are restricted free agents...clippers be back real soon.
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#4 » by Scalabrine » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:45 pm

I see both Smith and Okafor being retained unless a max offer is on the table, reports on Okafor have him getting around 10 mill a season, thats something i think the Bobcats would match on.

For the Hawks, outside of Joe Johnson, Smith is their most important player and if they want to build on their playoff success (a below .500 team taking the champs to seven is a success) then they HAVE to resign Smith.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#5 » by TKF » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:16 pm

NYKBaller wrote:josh smith and okafor are restricted free agents...clippers be back real soon.

exactly... donnie is no dummy. He knows atlanta will match and most likely the bobcats.... let the clips see there is nothing else out there and they will be back.. and honestly, the clips need a big who can get points and draw doubles.. Josh smith is not a scorer, he will make some highlight reel plays but lets be real, if he becomes a top scoring option for the clipps then they will be in trouble, he is just not that type of player.. Okafor is as much of a scorer as curry is a rebounder... when it all boils down, zach can give the, 22/10 in his sleep, and they have al thornton and kaman to fill out that front line, and they can compete, especially with baron davis.... I would not be suprised to see them up the ante with a guy like eric gordon when all is said and done..
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#6 » by method » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:22 pm

TKF wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:josh smith and okafor are restricted free agents...clippers be back real soon.

exactly... donnie is no dummy. He knows atlanta will match and most likely the bobcats.... let the clips see there is nothing else out there and they will be back.. and honestly, the clips need a big who can get points and draw doubles.. Josh smith is not a scorer, he will make some highlight reel plays but lets be real, if he becomes a top scoring option for the clipps then they will be in trouble, he is just not that type of player.. Okafor is as much of a scorer as curry is a rebounder... when it all boils down, zach can give the, 22/10 in his sleep, and they have al thornton and kaman to fill out that front line, and they can compete, especially with baron davis.... I would not be suprised to see them up the ante with a guy like eric gordon when all is said and done..

I hope so ...so all this haters thats say Zach has no trade value shut there mouths.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,176

Post#7 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:35 pm

method wrote:
TKF wrote:

I hope so ...so all this haters thats say Zach has no trade value shut there mouths.

i hope you're right...
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#8 » by GuyverADL » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Yes I like how guys forget about Villanueva who could be acquired cheaply by the Clippers.

The Clippers have a hole at SF and PF. Villanueva and Mason would be decent replacements to avoid overpaying.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#9 » by loflin3hree5ive » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 am

Al Thornton is the Clippers SF. There is no hole there.
hehe624
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#10 » by hehe624 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:46 am

They are in win-now mode. Which means they can use upgrade at SG (Crawford) and depth at SF/PF as well (Balkman)

Be very happy with a trade of Randolf/Crawford/Balkman for Gordon/2009 1st rounder/whatever else they need to send to NY to make numbers work. Seems fair.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#11 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:02 pm

optimusADL wrote:Yes I like how guys forget about Villanueva who could be acquired cheaply by the Clippers.

If the Clips think that Villanueva is the answer for them to pair with Baron Davis, then, lol, more power to them.

The Clippers have a hole at SF and PF. Villanueva and Mason would be decent replacements to avoid overpaying.

Yeah but then you might as well not have signed Baron Davis and instead offered Tyronn Lue $2-3 million per.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,276

Post#12 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:16 pm

The Clippers really are the perfect trading partner for us to get rid of Zach. They could actually be more desperate then us at this point. A deal almost has to get done.

Ideally maybe we can get a future 1st round pick even if its protected for the next 2 or 3 or 4 years...Given that its the Clippers I would definetly take that...But I would really just settle for just cap space if they dont budge.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#13 » by mjhp911 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:02 pm

method wrote:I hope so ...so all this haters thats say Zach has no trade value shut there mouths.

What he said... but read as 'these' instead of 'this', and 'their' instead of 'there'...

I think the Clips might be better off with a bruiser at the 4, instead of a skilled guy. I think Okafor might be the perfect fit for them. If they extend a max offer to him, I'm not sure the Bobcats would match. With Kaman and Thornton at the 5 and 3, they should have enough 'skills' up front. Especially with a scorer like Baron in the backcourt. But hey, if they can give us what Walsh wants, by all means, do a deal with them.

Return to New York Knicks