ImageImageImageImageImage

Balkman on his way out?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Re: Balkman on his way out? 

Post#21 » by mjhp911 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:21 am

drj wrote:I just don't understand how we can be that desperate for roster space, or that focused on saving 1m, to dump Balk for zero.

As to roster space, surely Marbury and/or Jerome will be off the roster? Are we seriously planning on keeping both guys around?
As to saving 1m, this is Jimmy D we are speaking of. 'Nuff said.

'Took the words right out of my mouf...

Malik is on an ending deal, just waive him, if you're going to waive Green and Jones. Malik is even more useless in an 'Antoni system. Berger just vaulted himself into the 'stupid stratosphere' of Isola and Berman.
eviL
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Post#22 » by eviL » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:44 am

livintoolive wrote:Unless D'Antoni and Walsh (can we get a short acronym for this, like DAW? WAD?) want to bring Green into training camp for a spot, I really don't like this move. The only savings the Knicks get is 1.4 million off of the salary cap and thus off the luxury tax. I can't imagine that's a good move for a paltry 1.4mn. I'd rather bring Balkman into training camp and if he doesn't work out, cut him and swallow the 1.4mn in luxury tax. It's not like this move helps bring the Knicks under the cap.

DonToni

:nod:
noido
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#23 » by noido » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:32 am

to save 1 million dollars? its not like Balks contract goes beyond 2010, when did we become the suns???
now we need to trade Balkman for 1 million dollars? i cant believe we could be so tight

If this happens i am starting the FIRE WALSH bandwagon
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,438

Post#24 » by duetta » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:59 am

mjhp911 wrote:'Took the words right out of my mouf...

Malik is on an ending deal, just waive him, if you're going to waive Green and Jones. Malik is even more useless in an 'Antoni system. Berger just vaulted himself into the 'stupid stratosphere' of Isola and Berman.

Mine too. Just lose Malik or Marbury.
randomhero423
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#25 » by randomhero423 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:33 am

if people around the league see no value in him i'd do this deal. it would simply let us cut down our roster without hurting the cap.
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#26 » by movingon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:37 am

noido wrote:to save 1 million dollars? its not like Balks contract goes beyond 2010, when did we become the suns???
now we need to trade Balkman for 1 million dollars? i cant believe we could be so tight

If this happens i am starting the FIRE WALSH bandwagon

We only spent $15 million to get him. And we were supposed to believe Jalen Rose would bring something to the table.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,438

Post#27 » by duetta » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:43 am

Not that I wanted Artest, but rumor has it that we could have acquired him by including Balkman last year.

I have issues about Balkman's inability to improve his offensive game. If Lee could dramatically upgrade his FT shooting, and even develop a jumper, Balkman should have as well.

But to just give a guy on a rookie salary away, not to mention someone who plays with the passion that Balkman brings, and while Big Snacks is still on the roster, is just dumb.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#28 » by kosmovitelli » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 am

Berger heard on Sunday about talks between the Knicks and Denver Nuggets that involve Renaldo Balkman going to the Rocky Mountains in exchange for guard Taurean Green and forward Bobby Jones.

Though Green is a young PG with potential as a floor general, it's been suggested to me by someone in the know that both Green and Jones would likely be waived. If the trade went through as is, the Knicks would wind up with 17 contracts, two over the limit. But both Green and Jones are on one-year, non-guaranteed contracts that are easily waived with no salary cap hit.

Balkman has just one year left on his rookie deal ($1,320,960) with a team option of $2,036,920 for 2009-10.

So the Knicks would trade Renaldo Balkman only to save $1.3M ? LOL

Wait a minute ! I thought Donnie Walsh declined a deal where he could have traded Zach Randolph for a second round pick and thus opening one roster spot and saving $48M over the life of Zach's contract ?

Just like the Zach rumor, this one is even more stupid.

If Donnie Walsh wanted to make room for Roberson then he would simply waive Balkman.
Let's not act like saving $1.3M is so important for the Knicks or even any other team.
Even the cheap Clippers wouldn't jettison a player like Balkman just to save $1.3M.

Obviously either we receive a first round pick in the trade (doubtful since the Nuggets already traded 2 first round picks for Iverson, are in cap hell, have no flexibility and only have the draft to get better) or this rumor is bogus. The latter obviously.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,331

Post#29 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:38 pm

It doesnt really make a lot of sense for Denver either. Didnt they just trade Camby strictly in a salary dump? And they have some guys who can play backup SF. So it doesnt make sense for them to add salary with Balkman.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#30 » by VinnyTheMick » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:57 pm

This deal makes no sense. For the love of CHRIST just cut Jerome James. No one will trade for him & he will not contribute to this team.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,040

Post#31 » by god shammgod » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 pm

what a joke if this true.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#32 » by knicks742 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 pm

VinnyTheMick wrote:This deal makes no sense. For the love of CHRIST just cut Jerome James. No one will trade for him & he will not contribute to this team.

This deal is poop and supports what Mike and Donnie have been saying and that is that our players are being undervalued. This offer and Zach's "offer" is an insult.

James is not going anywhere. The Knicks will make him retire and save money that way. Most likely we cut Collins or Warbury.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#33 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:45 pm

It is just illogical for the Knicks to trade a decent player - for nothing - just to save about $1 million.

Knicks dont need to get down to 15 players until start of season. No need to ditch someone now just to get at 15.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 821

Post#34 » by KOA » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Even with Balkman, the Knicks have just 15 players on their roster. They lost Fred Jones and Randolph Morris from last season and added Anthony Roberson and Danillo Gallinari. Why exactly do they need the roster spot?
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#35 » by TheBluest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:01 pm

evil_e wrote:
livintoolive wrote:Unless D'Antoni and Walsh (can we get a short acronym for this, like DAW? WAD?) want to bring Green into training camp for a spot, I really don't like this move. The only savings the Knicks get is 1.4 million off of the salary cap and thus off the luxury tax. I can't imagine that's a good move for a paltry 1.4mn. I'd rather bring Balkman into training camp and if he doesn't work out, cut him and swallow the 1.4mn in luxury tax. It's not like this move helps bring the Knicks under the cap.

DonToni

:nod:

You could go with D-Cups or keep them separate and go with...

Donnie Washed Up

&

D'Antonio Margarito
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#36 » by Johnny Hoops » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:01 pm

I guess my thinking is that the deal really doesn't make that much sense to me.

If Walsh felt there was some value in Green (as a back-up point) and Jones as a solid bench defender (I think he might actually be a better true defender than Balkman - with less theatrics) I might see some type of reason for the deal.

BUT - if this is just a move to save $1.5M or $2.0M next year - that doesn' t ring true.

A few things we may be missing on this front....

- remember that Zeke rarely gave Balkman steady minutes for 2-years (was there a legit reason for that)?
- is it possible that Balkman is just a complete knucklehead who can't learn plays?
- is it possible that the Knicks are leery of Balkman for some other reason (pot, drinking, something?)

I don't know -- all I know is that I trust Walsh in making decisions like this for the better long term good of the Knicks. Maybe this is a stepping stone deal to something else - maybe they just feel like they have to remove a SF from the equation and Balkman's value around the league is less than most around here think and they've decided to simply save a few bucks.

It's a hard deal to figure == I was hoping that Renaldo would blossom under Mike D but maybe Mike D told Donnie -- Balkman can't play for me. Who knows.

I might ike to expand this deal by adding D-Lee and we get Kleiza back. He's a legit shooter and is a mobile 3-4 who can defend, shoot from outside and attack the basket. He'd form a nice 3-person combo with Chandler & Nilo.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#37 » by TheBluest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:06 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:
Berger heard on Sunday about talks between the Knicks and Denver Nuggets that involve Renaldo Balkman going to the Rocky Mountains in exchange for guard Taurean Green and forward Bobby Jones.

Though Green is a young PG with potential as a floor general, it's been suggested to me by someone in the know that both Green and Jones would likely be waived. If the trade went through as is, the Knicks would wind up with 17 contracts, two over the limit. But both Green and Jones are on one-year, non-guaranteed contracts that are easily waived with no salary cap hit.

Balkman has just one year left on his rookie deal ($1,320,960) with a team option of $2,036,920 for 2009-10.

So the Knicks would trade Renaldo Balkman only to save $1.3M ? LOL

Wait a minute ! I thought Donnie Walsh declined a deal where he could have traded Zach Randolph for a second round pick and thus opening one roster spot and saving $48M over the life of Zach's contract ?

Just like the Zach rumor, this one is even more stupid.

If Donnie Walsh wanted to make room for Roberson then he would simply waive Balkman.
Let's not act like saving $1.3M is so important for the Knicks or even any other team.
Even the cheap Clippers wouldn't jettison a player like Balkman just to save $1.3M.

Obviously either we receive a first round pick in the trade (doubtful since the Nuggets already traded 2 first round picks for Iverson, are in cap hell, have no flexibility and only have the draft to get better) or this rumor is bogus. The latter obviously.

Word 4 Word my spit to your spit!!!
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#38 » by BasicBall » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:08 pm

I do like 'Naldo, but with the emergence of Wilson, the small forward spot is real crowded...I also really like these two young players. Jones has a rep as a defensive player and Taurean is a true point guard....The rumor says they will get waived, but I find that curious at best, these two are character guys, from solid programs, who have HIGH HOOP IQ'S.

These are the sort of guys you deal for, take a closer look at and try to develop...Is it perfect? Clearly not...But Renaldo wasn't going to get much burn, he really does not have tremendous value around the league, so if this is what is being done, I am curious to see what happens next!

But I do like Green and Jones as players that bring specific things to the table.
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
hoodie©
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#39 » by hoodie© » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:22 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:- remember that Zeke rarely gave Balkman steady minutes for 2-years (was there a legit reason for that)?
- is it possible that Balkman is just a complete knucklehead who can't learn plays?
- is it possible that the Knicks are leery of Balkman for some other reason (pot, drinking, something?)

:roll:

Knicks fans and coaches alike now behave as if they'd never heard of the 6'8", 215lb Forward out of Tampa, Florida. But I’ve always known who he was. He’s a good kid that studied hard to overcome severe learning disabilities. He partied like other kids, but behaved himself. Anyone who knows him will remember the miniature motorcycle he would ride around the parking lot of fraternity parties. It looked ridiculous. He looked like a clown. you dont know who he is because he wasn’t hanging out fighting like normal NCAA Division I athletes. He never drove away from a police check point. He's never been video taped raping a stripper. He was just a nice kid too shy to go into a fraternity party.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#40 » by Balkman32 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:31 pm

F' the Knicks if they move Balkman..... What a horrible franchise! Way to bring in a Offensive coach and grab an Euro player in the draft. Then move one one of your best defensive players. Great Job Knicks. Great Job!

Return to New York Knicks