ImageImageImageImageImage

Relocating: Which cities have nice quality of life?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

DocZaius
Banned User
And1: 56

Re: Relocating: Which cities have nice quality of life? 

Post#21 » by DocZaius » Wed Sep 3, 2008 11:09 pm

Las Vegas

/thread
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#22 » by Paeds » Wed Sep 3, 2008 11:11 pm

Mr. Perfect wrote:Not in the country, but Toronto could offer all those things and a lot more aside from maybe the weather. But if you're used to New York weather then it should be no different.

Out of that list though your best bet would be Charlotte.

Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner. Toronto is North Americas best secret.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#23 » by ITGM » Wed Sep 3, 2008 11:16 pm

DocZaius wrote:Las Vegas

/thread

I stay in Vegas every summer, Im still out here and heading back to the Big Apple in the morning. I looooovvee Vegas man. THe air is so much cleaner out here and I always clear up any allergies or colds I may have as soon as I touch down in Vegas. Vegas is a great place to live if you don't mind doing all your traveling in a car. If you dare to walk out here in the summer you'll be burnt alive. But theres absolutely perfect weather the other 9 or 10 months. Plus the real estate out here is relatively cheap...
OoAnd1
Head Coach
And1: 14

Post#24 » by OoAnd1 » Wed Sep 3, 2008 11:51 pm

The best city in Florida....Jacksonville. Great weather...low hurricane risk...

Give it a google search....

Supreme Commander
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Supreme Commander » Thu Sep 4, 2008 12:08 am

I've been to Jacksonville. Let's just say I'll never go back. And if you're thinking education, maybe you'll find a decent private school, but Florida is a terrible state for education. So, your kids will make friends with morons and become stupider by association.

ESCAPE FROM JACKSONVILLE
by Bill Simmons

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Here's a quick breakdown of Super Bowl Week in Jacksonville.

The positives: The locals have been extremely nice.

The negatives: Everything else.

I'm not saying that Jacksonville is a bad place. The city seems fine. As far as middle-sized cities go, I like it less than Pittsburgh or Milwaukee, but more than Hartford or Sacramento. Still, you can't change certain realities in life. If Tommy Maddox is starting for you in an AFC Championship Game, you're probably not headed to a Super Bowl. If one of the Wayans brothers is starring in your movie, you're probably not winning an Oscar. If you're having drinks with a female and they casually mention, "Yeah, I've done some exotic dancing," you're probably not introducing her to mom. And if you're having the Super Bowl in Jacksonville, it's probably going to be a bigger disaster than "Alexander" and the Chyna/X-Pac sex video combined.

Again, I'm not blaming Jacksonville. Why wouldn't they want the Super Bowl? Why not roll the dice and hope you can pull it off? From what I've found out over the past two days, the city has a complex about its place in the Florida pecking order -- it's not as sexy as Miami, doesn't have Disney like Orlando, isn't considered a major city like Tampa, doesn't even have a defining event like Daytona, so what's left? They were tired of being a place about which people said, "Jacksonville? Yeah, I've driven through there." So they wanted to change everything. Hosting the Super Bowl was their equivalent of Brittany Murphy starring in "Don't Say a Word" -- "Look, I'm not the chunky girl from 'Clueless' anymore! I'm different! I'm even dating that goofy guy from 'That 70's Show!'"

Post edited.
StutterStep wrote:paragraph breaks
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#26 » by TKF » Thu Sep 4, 2008 12:24 am

Bill Bradley wrote:Living in the South is kind of a hard adjustment for a yankee. If I had to live in the South, I might opt for a college town like Chapel Hill NC (I lived there and really liked it) or Athens GA. I also like Knoxville TN a lot and Nashville seems pretty cool too.

where did you go to grad school. I did my undergrad at mercer, but started my undergrad at NYU..anyway. Athens is a true college town, I am not a big fan of athens. Nashville is cool, especially around the vanderbilt campus. I have friends and family there, nice place. to me, atlanta is better than those places. IMO..
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#27 » by TKF » Thu Sep 4, 2008 12:31 am

OoAnd1 wrote:The best city in Florida....Jacksonville. Great weather...low hurricane risk...

Give it a google search....

I have been to jacksonvile quite a few times. Nice, nice city, just too frigging small.. LOL..
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,269

Post#28 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Sep 4, 2008 1:18 am

There's a lot of factors you should consider. If you have kids, definitly look into the education. If you're single, look at the party factor, and look at the weather.

Pittsburg probably gets colder than NY/NJ in the winter. Houston & Dallas are abnormally hot in the summer if you're not used to it. Is the Job Market a factor?

I've heard good things about Pittsburgh. Parts of it are supposed to be quite nice.

I've lived in Syracuse when I went to school there and I wouldn't recommend it. Another place I'd never recommend is Albany NY (attended briefly for grad school).

Boston is kind of cool. Traffic gets pretty crazy bad sometimes, it's kind of like NY's little brother. I'm not crazy about Philly, but Philly's OK, just not my favorite.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
Kyrama
RealGM
And1: 649

Post#29 » by Kyrama » Thu Sep 4, 2008 3:18 am

Stay around here. Move to Camden.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#30 » by Bill Bradley » Thu Sep 4, 2008 3:24 am

TKF wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:Living in the South is kind of a hard adjustment for a yankee. If I had to live in the South, I might opt for a college town like Chapel Hill NC (I lived there and really liked it) or Athens GA. I also like Knoxville TN a lot and Nashville seems pretty cool too.

where did you go to grad school. I did my undergrad at mercer, but started my undergrad at NYU..anyway. Athens is a true college town, I am not a big fan of athens. Nashville is cool, especially around the vanderbilt campus. I have friends and family there, nice place. to me, atlanta is better than those places. IMO..

I went to school at University of Maryland and lived in Baltimore and then DC. I did a 1-year internship in Durham NC at a veterans hospital. I dated someone who was a grad student at University of Georgia so drove down there fairly often. I had fun there though I don't know what it would be like to live there.

I have some family who live in Atlanta. Seems like a nice city.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#31 » by TheBluest » Thu Sep 4, 2008 3:34 am

Charlotte from what I hear from your choices is probably the best.

But if you're truly looking at things from a family perspective....raising kids, unlimited job opportunities, all four seasons without major extremes from any of them, low crime rate, excellent public and private schooling, great city traffic flow, clean environment the Midwest is where it's at.

Particularly when it comes to jobs, just an unlimited amount of opportunity if you have a skill.

I recommend in no particular order

Missouri
Iowa
Nebraska
Colorado
Kansas

Take your vacations to places that are exciting and exhilarating because these places can be boring depending if you have to have a night life and lack a little bit of the beautiful scenery the rest of the States have to offer. Like I said I'm speaking from a family perspective.
OoAnd1
Head Coach
And1: 14

Post#32 » by OoAnd1 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:01 am

Supreme Commander wrote:I've been to Jacksonville. Let's just say I'll never go back. And if you're thinking education, maybe you'll find a decent private school, but Florida is a terrible state for education. So, your kids will make friends with morons and become stupider by association

I read the article...interesting...but you don't really judge the livability of a city based on how well the Superbowl logistics work out.

TKF wrote:I have been to jacksonvile quite a few times. Nice, nice city, just too frigging small.. LOL..

Well, it's an option for the OP....shoot...I don't even live in Jax....too far up north for me. I prefer the Treasure Coast/Palm Beach/Broward metropolitan area...yes, I like suburban sprawl...
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#33 » by Paeds » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:20 am

Toronto is great it seems as if everyone that lives there is very nice the city is very clean and it is practically perfect in every way but I have only been there once with my AAU team

Ding Ding Ding!! We have another winner!!!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#34 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:25 am

Montreal is probably my favorite Canadian spot, though you cant go wrong with Toronto or Vancouver. If you can get past the fact half of the people hate New Yorkers its pretty sweet. I dont think growing in up in NY I could move to the South or any quiet place. I need fast paced action everyday, Im one of those people. Check out Montreal...
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#35 » by breaker91 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:41 am

kosmovitelli wrote:
Bill Bradley wrote:If you are going to move to Canada, might as well go to Vancouver. They always are #1 on those lists of the greatest places to live in the world. Supposed to be beautiful there, though I've never been.

Vancouver is cold but nice. Not far away from Portland which is a nice city too.
If you think Canada, Ontario is a very nice, friendly and beautiful region. Quebec is cool, weird people but nice nightlife.

I lived in both Vancouver and DC and I can tell that DC gets a heck of a lot colder than Vancouver. It snows maybe twice a year in Vancouver. The big winter time issue there is the rain.
"The brownies are good for me to make three-points.'' -Rudy Fernandez
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#36 » by StutterStep » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:43 am

HOUSTON, easily!

Beautiful women. A nice downtown area. Sports franchises. Fast driving. Nice houses.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#37 » by StutterStep » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:46 am

Bill Bradley wrote: People there are really friendly, there are surprisingly good restaurants, it's cheap (I think), and people are educated (because of all of the colleges there). Lots of lesbians though, which I don't mind but it makes it hard to pick up women and I get grossed out when I see women's hairy armpits when I'm trying to eat.

Damn BB, I'm reading this going on 1 in the morning, and I almost woke up the household, but instead I nearly choked on my laughter. :D
NYC2BGI
Starter
And1: 1

Post#38 » by NYC2BGI » Thu Sep 4, 2008 1:30 pm

My brother moved to the Dallas-Fort Worth area and it is really affordable and a good place to live. As with any move out of NY, you will miss home really badly. Dallas is nice and has jobs, a great cost of living and is clean.
Supreme Commander
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#39 » by Supreme Commander » Thu Sep 4, 2008 1:37 pm

OoAnd1 wrote:
Supreme Commander wrote:I've been to Jacksonville. Let's just say I'll never go back. And if you're thinking education, maybe you'll find a decent private school, but Florida is a terrible state for education. So, your kids will make friends with morons and become stupider by association

I read the article...interesting...but you don't really judge the livability of a city based on how well the Superbowl logistics work out.

If you weren't a product of the Flordia public education system, you'll have noticed that I began my post with "I've been to Jacksonville." Therefore, I am judging Jacksonville on my experience. I remembered that article because it encapsulated just how **** I thought the city was. One of my pledge brothers lived a five or six blocks from Sawgrass, which wasn't enough for me to like it or to hide the fact there is nothing going on there.
StutterStep wrote:paragraph breaks
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#40 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Sep 4, 2008 1:48 pm

TKF wrote:

I did my grad work at UGA, and absolutely loved Athens. Great music scene, tons of neat hole-in-the-wall restaurants/bars, great people -- if you ignore the frat-heads, liberal (for the South), etc. But it's not really the type of place you'd want to live once you're over 25 and looking to settle somewhere.

Atlanta is nice, but I'm not a huge fan of the sprawl and traffic problems. Definitely one of the best places in the South though; as is Nashville.

Return to New York Knicks