ImageImageImageImageImage

A speech for the ages - Dick Vitale inducted into the hall

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

jdennis187
Analyst
And1: 175

A speech for the ages - Dick Vitale inducted into the hall 

Post#1 » by jdennis187 » Sat Sep 6, 2008 6:19 am

"wow"

Those were the words of a visably, and uncharacteristically emotional Mike Breen as he tried to compose himself after Dick Vitale gave his speech in Springfield Massachucettes. Dick Vitale gave a hell of a speech tonight. If you didn't see it, and you love the game of basketball, I strongly urge you go to nba.com and watch the speech in full, in there video section. This is absolutely thread worthy.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Re: A speech for the ages - Dick Vitale inducted into the hall 

Post#2 » by Flaming Mo » Sat Sep 6, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I will look to hear it...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
kfig5
Bench Warmer
And1: 67

Post#3 » by kfig5 » Sat Sep 6, 2008 2:25 pm

Good speech, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a "speech for the ages." I definitely admire what Dickie V's done for college basketball, but I just found listening to him ramble on in the beginning was a little monotonous.
jdennis187
Analyst
And1: 175

Post#4 » by jdennis187 » Sat Sep 6, 2008 3:45 pm

kfig5 wrote:Good speech, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a "speech for the ages." I definitely admire what Dickie V's done for college basketball, but I just found listening to him ramble on in the beginning was a little monotonous.

Well, in the context of basketball, I would say so. Also if you didnt watch it live it might not be the same. Kind of as I stated in this thread, which is not present in the nba.com video is how Mike Breen, a guy we all know, got up on stage afterwords and just had to pause and collect himself for a little bit. I think that is very telling.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,554

Post#5 » by adjacent2bench » Sat Sep 6, 2008 4:31 pm

Great speech, but not a speech for the ages though.
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#6 » by Paeds » Sat Sep 6, 2008 9:11 pm

Wow,Great Speech. I cant believe Dickie V made me teary- eyed *shakes fist*
King Jaffy Jo
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#7 » by King Jaffy Jo » Sun Sep 7, 2008 1:14 am

def a great speech. i wont lie. i got teary eyed myself... definitely happy for the guy.
Radiohead311
Senior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Radiohead311 » Mon Sep 8, 2008 1:19 am

I'm not a fan of Vitale at all, I think he's annoying and I still don't believe he deserved to be put in the HOF but that was one of the best speeches i've ever heard. Amazing.

Dantleys speech was hilarious, you can tell he's still very very bitter about being traded to the Mavs just before the Pistons won their first championship. It was kind of screwed up that they inducted him the same night as Bill Davidson he was staring angrily right at Davidson when he said "I'm glad to be on a team now where I can't be traded, Owners can't trade you, GMs can't trade you" And he stared angrily right at Chuck Daly when he said "and coaches can't trade you" then he stared angrily at Isiah Thomas when he said "and player/coaches can't trade you."

"My son he plays football, why he plays football I don't know" LOL he sounded pissed.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#9 » by Dogen » Mon Sep 8, 2008 2:16 am

The only part I saw was Olajawon's speech, which as was pretty dull.
Hey you! Can we come together?
IsiahThomasJr
Banned User

Post#10 » by IsiahThomasJr » Mon Sep 8, 2008 7:12 am

Radiohead311 wrote:I'm not a fan of Vitale at all, I think he's annoying and I still don't believe he deserved to be put in the HOF but that was one of the best speeches i've ever heard. Amazing.

Dantleys speech was hilarious, you can tell he's still very very bitter about being traded to the Mavs just before the Pistons won their first championship. It was kind of screwed up that they inducted him the same night as Bill Davidson he was staring angrily right at Davidson when he said "I'm glad to be on a team now where I can't be traded, Owners can't trade you, GMs can't trade you" And he stared angrily right at Chuck Daly when he said "and coaches can't trade you" then he stared angrily at Isiah Thomas when he said "and player/coaches can't trade you."

"My son he plays football, why he plays football I don't know" LOL he sounded pissed.

The great Isiah was there? I guess that is all he can show his face at nowadays.
"It's so crazy it just might work." - Isiah Thomas
Radiohead311
Senior

Post#11 » by Radiohead311 » Mon Sep 8, 2008 7:30 am

IsiahThomasJr wrote:
Radiohead311 wrote:I'm not a fan of Vitale at all, I think he's annoying and I still don't believe he deserved to be put in the HOF but that was one of the best speeches i've ever heard. Amazing.

The great Isiah was there? I guess that is all he can show his face at nowadays.
\

Thankfully. Isiah has been a selfish, worthless piece of **** in every era of his career and everyone in the league knows it. From his dislike of Bobby Knight, freezing out MJ in the all-star game, Bird comments, pushing for the trade of AD for Aguire, comments about Magic and HIV, point shaving when his gambler friends all were all arrested by the FBI, destroying the CBA, setting the Knicks back a decade. Absolute piece of ****. But yeah he was there, only got about 2 seconds of camera time, 2 more than he deserves.
IsiahThomasJr
Banned User

Post#12 » by IsiahThomasJr » Mon Sep 8, 2008 7:46 am

I saw the Dantley speech. they didn't show Isiah.
"It's so crazy it just might work." - Isiah Thomas

Return to New York Knicks