ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Broncos vs Chargers

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 821

OT: Broncos vs Chargers 

Post#1 » by KOA » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:47 pm

I am not a fan of either team, but this will probably go down as the worst officiated game of the year.

San Diego was up 38-31. Cutler fumbles the football at San Diego's 10 yard line and San Diego recovered it with about a minute remaining. The officials blew the whistle and rule it an incomplete pass even though it was CLEARLY a fumble. They later reversed the call but because they blew the whistle early, they let Denver retain possession. Denver scores a touchdown on 4th and goal and goes for 2 to win it 39-38.
nyk2423
Analyst
And1: 4

Re: OT: Broncos vs Chargers 

Post#2 » by nyk2423 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:39 am

I have Cutler on my Fantasy team =)
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#3 » by truth serum » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:50 am

nyk2423 wrote:I have Cutler on my Fantasy team =)

Me too. I also have Brandon Marshall :nod:
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#4 » by TKF » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:13 am

that was ballsy move by denver going for 2, but it was clear and the refs still blew that call on cutler who fumbled the ball. He fumbled it, and they still blew it with instant replay.. just a horrible officiated game there...
nyk2423
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#5 » by nyk2423 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:17 am

hahaha and the 2pt attempt was the same exact play that they used for the TD and it worked.
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
And1: 11
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#6 » by DrSithMirth » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:22 am

Those are my boys, the Broncos. Too bad on the call, but I'm glad at the outcome.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
Supreme Commander
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Supreme Commander » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 am

TKF wrote:that was ballsy move by denver going for 2, but it was clear and the refs still blew that call on cutler who fumbled the ball. He fumbled it, and they still blew it with instant replay.. just a horrible officiated game there...

The officials definitely blew the call and the instant replay added insult to injury, but they couldn't give the Chargers possession given how the rules are written. They reversed the ruling it wasn't a fumble, but they can't give possession given the sets of circumstances, especially with the whistle being blown.

What really, really, REALLY pissed me off though was the effing official saying "the ruling on the field stands, the ball will be placed on the 10." NO. The ruling on the field was overturn but the official didn't want to say, "well, gee, we got the call wrong and blew the play dead way too early... so Denver gets to keep the ball, even though we got the play wrong, and even though San Diego recovered the ball." He got the damned call wrong, then lied, then had to come back and kind of explain how it went... ridiculous
StutterStep wrote:paragraph breaks
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#8 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:42 am

Game was in Denver

What do you expect the call to be??
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Supreme Commander
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Supreme Commander » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:47 am

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:Game was in Denver

What do you expect the call to be??

"The ruling on the field was overturned. As a result of the whistle, San Diego did not gain possesion. Denver ball at the 10. Denver ball."

I'm not sure what your point is about where the game is. I know Bulls fans are used to The Jordan Rules, but that nonsense isn't expected or tolerated in the NFL.
StutterStep wrote:paragraph breaks
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by TKF » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:50 am

Supreme Commander wrote:
TKF wrote:that was ballsy move by denver going for 2, but it was clear and the refs still blew that call on cutler who fumbled the ball. He fumbled it, and they still blew it with instant replay.. just a horrible officiated game there...

The officials definitely blew the call and the instant replay added insult to injury, but they couldn't give the Chargers possession given how the rules are written. They reversed the ruling it wasn't a fumble, but they can't give possession given the sets of circumstances, especially with the whistle being blown.

What really, really, REALLY pissed me off though was the effing official saying "the ruling on the field stands, the ball will be placed on the 10." NO. The ruling on the field was overturn but the official didn't want to say, "well, gee, we got the call wrong and blew the play dead way too early... so Denver gets to keep the ball, even though we got the play wrong, and even though San Diego recovered the ball." He got the damned call wrong, then lied, then had to come back and kind of explain how it went... ridiculous

good point, it was a pure botch job, but with the whistle being blown, it messed up the whole thing. I don't like it, that is not a way to decide a game, not in the NFL.... then you are right, the ref lied and tried to cover his tracks, I would just love to see him watch the replay of that whole situation.. LOL.. I think even he would be embarrased and shocked..
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#11 » by TheBluest » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:10 am

TKF wrote:
Supreme Commander wrote:

good point, it was a pure botch job, but with the whistle being blown, it messed up the whole thing. I don't like it, that is not a way to decide a game, not in the NFL.... then you are right, the ref lied and tried to cover his tracks, I would just love to see him watch the replay of that whole situation.. LOL.. I think even he would be embarrased and shocked..

Ed Hockuley(sp?) is a Tool. LOL @ him going over and telling Norv Turner "I Blew It". Just like Norv said "That's Not Good Enough." If Goodell is better than David "I Sleep With My Refs" Stern then he should suspend Ed severely. Sorry in the NFL the margin of error is practically non existent, absolute zero room for it. I'd give him a minimum 2gm suspension No Pay. I can't think of anything worse than refs deciding games and there were so many blown calls the past 2weeks in the NFL. Also that inadvertent whistle rule please get rid of it. I mean the refs have the whistles in their mouths during play, any major excitement could cause them to chirp, these guys are human but you have to eliminate human error and it can be done in this sport for sure. It's like a tripping a wire or a trap accidentally with the inadvertent whistle crap, anything can set it off. Ed is almost like Javie or Joey Crawford, he thinks his Diesel physique trumps the action on the field.

If I'm Norv there's no doubt I pull a baseball tactic on him. Maybe not the next game but the game after that he refs for our team I tell my LB take him out on patterns going across the field if he's in the vicinity. Lay him out by running through him. No arm actions or swinging just a straight bull rush size him up ahead of time and then don't look once the rush starts. I'd send in a flunkie LB to do the job Mardy Hit Man Collins style.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by TKF » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:57 am

Ed Hockuley(sp?) is a Tool. LOL @ him going over and telling Norv Turner "I Blew It". Just like Norv said "That's Not Good Enough." If Goodell is better than David "I Sleep With My Refs" Stern then he should suspend Ed severely. Sorry in the NFL the margin of error is practically non existent, absolute zero room for it. I'd give him a minimum 2gm suspension No Pay. I can't think of anything worse than refs deciding games and there were so many blown calls the past 2weeks in the NFL. Also that inadvertent whistle rule please get rid of it. I mean the refs have the whistles in their mouths during play, any major excitement could cause them to chirp, these guys are human but you have to eliminate human error and it can be done in this sport for sure. It's like a tripping a wire or a trap accidentally with the inadvertent whistle crap, anything can set it off. Ed is almost like Javie or Joey Crawford, he thinks his Diesel physique trumps the action on the field.

If I'm Norv there's no doubt I pull a baseball tactic on him. Maybe not the next game but the game after that he refs for our team I tell my LB take him out on patterns going across the field if he's in the vicinity. Lay him out by running through him. No arm actions or swinging just a straight bull rush size him up ahead of time and then don't look once the rush starts. I'd send in a flunkie LB to do the job Mardy Hit Man Collins style.

I couldn't agree more, this was just horrible, no room for that. Now the chargers are 0-2 looking at a must win vs the 1-1 jets or they could be in a huge hole at 0-3 and a possibility of missing the playoffs, and we are just in the third week of the season.. inexcuseable. And this whistle crap has to go. I mean follow me here, I know this is an extreme, but a QB can throw a pass and if the ref, inadvertantly blows the whistle right before the defense intercepts the ball, the play is dead? I mean really, can that happen? seems so...

No wonder why shanahan went for the two point conversion, he knew his team should have lost, he was now playing with House money!!!!!
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#13 » by TheBluest » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:18 am

TKF wrote:

I couldn't agree more, this was just horrible, no room for that. Now the chargers are 0-2 looking at a must win vs the 1-1 jets or they could be in a huge hole at 0-3 and a possibility of missing the playoffs, and we are just in the third week of the season.. inexcuseable. And this whistle crap has to go. I mean follow me here, I know this is an extreme, but a QB can throw a pass and if the ref, inadvertantly blows the whistle right before the defense intercepts the ball, the play is dead? I mean really, can that happen? seems so...

No wonder why shanahan went for the two point conversion, he knew his team should have lost, he was now playing with House money!!!!!

For his sake he'd better be wearing pads reffing our next few games otherswise he's getting laid out by LB "Incognito" with no protection.

Another thing I wish teams would do more of and I know this probably would come with huge fines, and money loss but just forfeit your next game as a Protest against getting cheated.
Jcrawford11
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#14 » by Jcrawford11 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:27 pm

the fix is in
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#15 » by DrSithMirth » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Oh, for God's sake, people. The ref screwed up. It won't be the first time, it won't be the last. What's the matter with you, never had a mistake go the Giants way? Calm down.

Y'all know full well that if that had been the Giants winning the game, no one would be complaining? What, did you have money on the game or something? Calm down.

Here's the thing we've all said at some point or other if our team either wins under these conditions or loses. If the game had to come down to a freak event, and it still required a performance by the winning team that could have been stopped by the losing team, then no more whining. The Chargers got beat on a 2 point play which was the exact same play that had just gotten the Broncos a touchdown. In that, the Chargers lost. The score was 39 - 38. That's a lot of points either way laid down, and it was an 8 point turnaround that everyone's mad about. And if the Chargers were so much better a team, it should have never come down to a single play. If the Chargers were that much better, the Broncos should not have been able to lay 39 points on them (and no excuses about injury; I never read/heard excuses for the Broncos and their injuries over the past 2 years).

IMO, it's a question of what's focused on after the game that tells you what's up: I hate Rivers' guts, but he manned up and said they lost the game because they got scored on and couldn't put up enough points in response. Turner complained about fair shakes. Cutler and the rest of the Broncos also manned up and and acknowledged the ref error (as did the ref himself), but what, does that mean that they were supposed to just lay down and give the ball back? That's how it went down, and they had a game to win.

If any other team in the league were in that situation and *didn't* go for the win, then the coach would have been fired. Mistakes are part of the game (we can all talk about mistakes made both to the advantage and *dis*advantage of the teams we want to see win), and you move on. There was no damn fix, so calm the hell down, Junior.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#16 » by TheBluest » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:26 pm

DrSithMirth wrote:Oh, for God's sake, people. The ref screwed up. It won't be the first time, it won't be the last. What's the matter with you, never had a mistake go the Giants way? Calm down.

Y'all know full well that if that had been the Giants winning the game, no one would be complaining? What, did you have money on the game or something? Calm down.

Here's the thing we've all said at some point or other if our team either wins under these conditions or loses. If the game had to come down to a freak event, and it still required a performance by the winning team that could have been stopped by the losing team, then no more whining. The Chargers got beat on a 2 point play which was the exact same play that had just gotten the Broncos a touchdown. In that, the Chargers lost. The score was 39 - 38. That's a lot of points either way laid down, and it was an 8 point turnaround that everyone's mad about. And if the Chargers were so much better a team, it should have never come down to a single play. If the Chargers were that much better, the Broncos should not have been able to lay 39 points on them (and no excuses about injury; I never read/heard excuses for the Broncos and their injuries over the past 2 years).

IMO, it's a question of what's focused on after the game that tells you what's up: I hate Rivers' guts, but he manned up and said they lost the game because they got scored on and couldn't put up enough points in response. Turner complained about fair shakes. Cutler and the rest of the Broncos also manned up and and acknowledged the ref error (as did the ref himself), but what, does that mean that they were supposed to just lay down and give the ball back? That's how it went down, and they had a game to win.

If any other team in the league were in that situation and *didn't* go for the win, then the coach would have been fired. Mistakes are part of the game (we can all talk about mistakes made both to the advantage and *dis*advantage of the teams we want to see win), and you move on. There was no damn fix, so calm the hell down, Junior.

Absolute Crap Post To The Fullest.

I could see your point if the Chargers got the ball back, then the offense could come out with the mindset of getting redemption for the effort the defense put in or for getting screwed. But if you're the Defense and a call like that happens when you feel you've done your job to stop your opponent yet an incompetent Zebra takes your efforts away and says "Stay on the field Defense, Home Team Gets a Mulligan on Us", then that deflates a defense. Especially when you hear the Incompetent ref tell your coach "I Fuched Up but because of the technicalities in the rules I have to allow the Broncos to Cheat you another play or two."

I mean it's common sense that the more chances you give someone to beat you, they will.

I'm happy Rivers Man'd up that's what leaders and in particular QB's are supposed to do but it doesn't condone what was done to them. The ref had a clear view to make a routine call and he F''D it up for no reason whatsoever.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#17 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:53 pm

TheBluest wrote:

I could see your point if the Chargers got the ball back, then the offense could come out with the mindset of getting redemption for the effort the defense put in or for getting screwed. But if you're the Defense and a call like that happens when you feel you've done your job to stop your opponent yet an incompetent Zebra takes your efforts away and says "Stay on the field Defense, Home Team Gets a Mulligan on Us", then that deflates a defense. Especially when you hear the Incompetent ref tell your coach "I Fuched Up but because of the technicalities in the rules I have to allow the Broncos to Cheat you another play or two."

I mean it's common sense that the more chances you give someone to beat you, they will.

I'm happy Rivers Man'd up that's what leaders and in particular QB's are supposed to do but it doesn't condone what was done to them. The ref had a clear view to make a routine call and he F''D it up for no reason whatsoever.

A couple of things:

1. The Chargers did get the ball back, albeit with very little time left. It's their own fault that they didn't have any timeouts left though.

2. The SD defense did not do it's job to stop their opponent. They didn't do their job when Denver scored the winning touchdown on them and they didn't do their job when Denver got the 2-point conversion. Cutler's fumble wasn't them doing their job either -- he was untouched on the play. It's not like the Chargers put up this great goal-line stand defensively. They got lucky when Cutler dropped the ball while trying to throw, and then got very unlucky due to a terrible call by the ref and a dumb rule.

This is an unfortunate situation for the Chargers and embarrassing for the NFL in general, but I think it's a reach to call this a "fix".
DrSithMirth
Head Coach

Post#18 » by DrSithMirth » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:03 pm

TheBluest wrote:
DrSithMirth wrote:Oh, for God's sake, people. The ref screwed up. It won't be the first time, it won't be the last. What's the matter with you, never had a mistake go the Giants way? Calm down.

Wasn't a crap post at all. If you want to keep your hands in the Chargers' pants, that's on you. Point blank. You didn't at all address the fact that if the shoe were on the other foot, there would have been no complaining at all. Hochuli is the best in the business right now; those things happen, and we all wish it hadn't gone down like that. I would have preferred that there were no error involved, but, again, I point to the fact that 31 points had already been scored in that game by the Broncos.

And the Broncos did not cheat. Save that sh*t for the patriots and their coach. Benefiting from errors in officiating happens every single week in football. Every single week. So save your bitterness for something useful.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by TKF » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:14 pm

well first of all Dr. I am a jets fan, so I would not care had this gone in the giants favor. Actually I would, because I think this hurts the league overall, this type of officiating. To say the broncos got 39 points and use that as a reason why the chargers are not much better really is not correct. First of all, they should have had only 31 points, and in the NFL you don't have to be much better, just be better. The chargers were better, cutler fumbled, they reversed the call from an incomplete to a fumble, but didn't reward the chargers with the ball. Instead they gave the broncos more life. and In the NFL, give any team, even the worst team a second chance and they will hurt you.. this type of play is not a judgment call, or a mistake, it was a play that was clearly a fumble, corrected SOMEWHAT, and Botched all at the same time.... How could this have happened... It never should!!
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#20 » by TheBluest » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:42 pm

TKF wrote:

well first of all Dr. I am a jets fan, so I would not care had this gone in the giants favor. Actually I would, because I think this hurts the league overall, this type of officiating. To say the broncos got 39 points and use that as a reason why the chargers are not much better really is not correct. First of all, they should have had only 31 points, and in the NFL you don't have to be much better, just be better. The chargers were better, cutler fumbled, they reversed the call from an incomplete to a fumble, but didn't reward the chargers with the ball. Instead they gave the broncos more life. and In the NFL, give any team, even the worst team a second chance and they will hurt you.. this type of play is not a judgment call, or a mistake, it was a play that was clearly a fumble, corrected SOMEWHAT, and Botched all at the same time.... How could this have happened... It never should!!

TKF Get's It, the others don't.

There's no agenda here plain and simple in any sport no matter who's playing and TKF can attest to this when it comes to officiating. I normally don't have sympathy for teams who get the short end from refs. I feel in basketball generally it evens out from qrt-to-qrt... game-to-game... but in this case the refs clearly put his finger print all over the outcome and this is never acceptable. Mentioning Hochuli's status is irrelevant, he's not Teflon and he's been known to have a very quick whistle anyway. TKF can attest to the fact calls that have gone the Knicks way in games I usually don't get the Poms-Poms out. I can't stand if a team is cheated either way. Like when the Bucks got cheated by the Knicks 2 yrs ago at the Garden. I hate when a game isn't decided on the field/court the actual score in the game is irrelevant to the effort, particularly in the conclusion. Basically the game was practically 0-0 at the point in the game with very little time left yet EH felt it necessary to be THE GAME and hit the reset button for the Broncos.

He needs to be suspended in some manner. He was looking at the play from start to finish.

Return to New York Knicks