ImageImageImageImageImage

Oye Vey -- Gallo's back & cortisone shot....

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Re: Oye Vey -- Gallo's back & cortisone shot.... 

Post#21 » by GuyverADL » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:56 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
madvillian wrote:Getting Cortisone shots already is not good. Basically he is getting a legal steroid pumped into his back to reduce the pain and swelling. But these shots, if relied upon too much, will eventually result in series long term problems, including possible tissue damage.

Not good.

We should really differentiate repeated use from occasional use. I personally would stay away from it. I could see if it was a playoff series or something like that. But getting him ready for training camp? Sounds a bit odd to me.

Did anyone hear about MRI, cat scans or the like being taken of his back?

The problem with getting one so early is that it may "hide" the real source of the issue and then it becomes a bigger problem later on. Cortisone isn't something that "heals" you. This is what I don't really understand. I'd sooner just let him heal at his own pace. After all, he is a rookie and isn't "expected" to contribute right away. But to be honest I think on offense he will. So maybe that is why they are doing this. Otherwise, why risk it?

EMS

Cortisone is usually used when healing on your own isn't showing progress. As another poster said you cant really immobilize your back. So just walking is likely inflamming the area.
ijag23
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#22 » by ijag23 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:46 pm

The key part of that article is that he will be ready for camp. It would be a shame if he couldn't participate in his rookie training camp.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#23 » by EchelonNYK » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Don't worry. he'll be fine. the kid is 20 yr's old for crying out, he has plenty of basketball ahead of him.
HellsKitchen
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#24 » by HellsKitchen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:48 pm

I would not be surprised if this back stuff is from Gallinari working out furiously and lifting too much while trying to bulk up for the NBA.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#25 » by vallen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 pm

Where are you Stuperman ?
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
Toxicity
Analyst
And1: 39

Post#26 » by Toxicity » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:11 am

HellsKitchen wrote:I would not be surprised if this back stuff is from Gallinari working out furiously and lifting too much while trying to bulk up for the NBA.

BINGO!

Tractor Taylor is not the reason...

Return to New York Knicks