ImageImageImageImageImage

Kenny Smith booted from booth

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HellsKitchen
Head Coach
And1: 0

Kenny Smith booted from booth 

Post#1 » by HellsKitchen » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:42 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... isp-1.html

I'm pretty happy he's gone. I used to like him on TNT, but he absolutely sucked ass on MSG.

He gets a few digs in at MSG in the story.

I'm not even sure what this dispute is about, "local" vs. "national" flavor? :confused:
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Re: Kenny Smith booted from booth 

Post#2 » by TKF » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:49 pm

yea, I don't get this local vs national flavor. really I don't.. but taking that kind of paycut is ridiculous, I would not go for that either..
supergallinari
Banned User

Post#3 » by supergallinari » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:56 pm

i liked kenny.

but last night is my favorite duo. gus and johnny hoops.

too bad they only do radio during the regular season.

i like walt but breen sucks.
BLACKFEET
Junior
And1: 4

Post#4 » by BLACKFEET » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:09 pm

i hated him on msg.
im glad hes gone.
unclebear
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#5 » by unclebear » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:35 pm

omg they booted kenny

you bastards
bklynstoops
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#6 » by bklynstoops » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Glad he's gone. He had the gift of taking one "insight" and talking about it for the length of a whole game without a lull in enthusiasm. What a tool. He's analysis is perfectly paired with Barkley's nonsensical mumblings.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#7 » by GONYK » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:22 am

What I can't believe is that the guy who wrote the article actually looks like that.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#8 » by EchelonNYK » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:39 am

supergallinari wrote:i liked kenny.

but last night is my favorite duo. gus and johnny hoops.

too bad they only do radio during the regular season.

i like walt but breen sucks.

I liked him also (no homo)
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#9 » by TheBluest » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:47 am

TKF wrote:yea, I don't get this local vs national flavor. really I don't.. but taking that kind of paycut is ridiculous, I would not go for that either..

Kenny hit the nail on the head MSG is looking for "COMPANY YES MAN" type of employees. Good for him. Kenny wasn't all world behind the Mic but he's definitely a good analyst. He also made sure when talking about the negative things concerning the Knicks on air, that he never crossed the line. Breen actually crosses over from time-to-time, not that I can't blame him when he does so. I wonder how much Mike Breen is getting paid and how MSG handles his financial situation? I think it's interesting how Dolan goes about choosing who to take a stand against financially and usually it's those who have some level of high credibility. Kenny Smith is part of a brand which produces an Emmey Award Winning show. He's not really any different calling games for MSG than he is, being on the panel for TNT. I would have told them to go Fly A Kite too.
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#10 » by ITGM » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:51 am

Get ready for TNT to clown the Knicks at any chance they get. Kenny is going to be out for blood.
EL CABRITO
Starter
And1: 133

Post#11 » by EL CABRITO » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:49 am

He still looks like a twig in a suit. I can't stand Kenny "The Jet", I hope he gets penis cancer.
If you have no critics you'll likely have no success.
DocZaius
Banned User
And1: 56

Post#12 » by DocZaius » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:34 am

KSmith was godawful last year.

The guy sounded like he never watched the Knicks before.

Even when we were absolute crap, he was calling it like the team was on the right track.

This is nothing more than a dispute over cash. The man is greedy, but I don't blame him.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#13 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 am

:rockon:
Free Palestine
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#14 » by RutgersBJJ » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:44 am

I'm guessing you guys don't like Kenny because he was honest in how much we suck?

he is better than Gus Johnson. He makes me angry at how much of a homer and starbury lover he is. He is almost half the homer Tommy in boston is and that is sad.

Kenny Smith and Walt were the best combo.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#15 » by movingon » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:16 pm

Better than Gus Johnson!? Gus is the man. He's just flat out more knowledgeable than Kenny Smith.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#16 » by RutgersBJJ » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:23 pm

movingon wrote:Better than Gus Johnson!? Gus is the man. He's just flat out more knowledgeable than Kenny Smith.

no, he really is not. He writes and broadcasts about what Kenny Smith actually did. Smith knows enough about basketball to know that Marbury is not the answer in NY. Gus Johnson is obsessed with Marbury. Kenny Smith had more basketball knowledge smacked out of him by Hakeem during practices than Gus ever knew. Gus is a joke and overperforms during his broadcasts. I don't want to listen to a man who sounds like he just had Superhead make him bust a nut in her mouth every time a dunk or some stupid crap happens.

He should stick to college games, where he doesn't actually like the team he is broadcasting. He is much better at that.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#17 » by TheBluest » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:32 pm

RutgersBJJ wrote:
movingon wrote:Better than Gus Johnson!? Gus is the man. He's just flat out more knowledgeable than Kenny Smith.

no, he really is not. He writes and broadcasts about what Kenny Smith actually did. Smith knows enough about basketball to know that Marbury is not the answer in NY. Gus Johnson is obsessed with Marbury. Kenny Smith had more basketball knowledge smacked out of him by Hakeem during practices than Gus ever knew. Gus is a joke and overperforms during his broadcasts. I don't want to listen to a man who sounds like he just had Superhead make him bust a nut in her mouth every time a dunk or some stupid crap happens.

He should stick to college games, where he doesn't actually like the team he is broadcasting. He is much better at that.

Exactly.

Fans transcend his college commentary into Knicks broadcasting and it's sickening. Gus is absolutely awful calling games for the Knicks because he's looking for any chance to make a call be OVER THE TOP as if he's calling the game winning shot in the NCAA Championship game. And you couldn't be more correct about how he goes on slurping Marbury's kids. He's an Epic Homer to the fullest until last yr and that's only because he probably had an idea I SAY UGH was on the way out so he was a little more critical than usual.

I remember 2yrs ago the team was playing like garbage but Marbury was having a pretty good game. Marbury made a play going to the rim got an And1 and Gus Man Juiced up the screen. The game was breaking to commercial and Gus had to get his last drip out and says.....

"Awwww Stephon Marbury Going To The Cup Cony Island Style Steph Please Don't Do It To Them Like That Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaa!"

I was like what a Flaming Tool! He's probably the worst of the bunch.
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#18 » by GuyverADL » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:35 pm

TheBluest wrote:
RutgersBJJ wrote:

Exactly.

Fans transcend his college commentary into Knicks broadcasting and it's sickening. Gus is absolutely awful calling games for the Knicks because he's looking for any chance to make a call be OVER THE TOP as if he's calling the game winning shot in the NCAA Championship game. And you couldn't be more correct about how he goes on slurping Marbury's kids. He's an Epic Homer to the fullest until last yr and that's only because he probably had an idea I SAY UGH was on the way out so he was a little more critical than usual.

I remember 2yrs ago the team was playing like garbage but Marbury was having a pretty good game. Marbury made a play going to the rim got an And1 and Gus Man Juiced up the screen. The game was breaking to commercial and Gus had to get his last drip out and says.....

"Awwww Stephon Marbury Going To The Sup Cony Island Style Steph Please Don't Do It Them Like That Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaa!"

I loved when Gus and Frazier were commenting.

They aren't overly pessimistic and make the game enjoyable even when the product on the floor wasnt.

I hate Tim Breen. Dude is VERY annoying.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#19 » by TheBluest » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:43 pm

optimusADL wrote:
TheBluest wrote:
RutgersBJJ wrote:no, he really is not. He writes and broadcasts about what Kenny Smith actually did. Smith knows enough about basketball to know that Marbury is not the answer in NY. Gus Johnson is obsessed with Marbury. Kenny Smith had more basketball knowledge smacked out of him by Hakeem during practices than Gus ever knew. Gus is a joke and overperforms during his broadcasts. I don't want to listen to a man who sounds like he just had Superhead make him bust a nut in her mouth every time a dunk or some stupid crap happens.

Exactly.

"Awwww Stephon Marbury Going To The Sup Cony Island Style Steph Please Don't Do It Them Like That Ha Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaa!"

I loved when Gus and Frazier were commenting.

They aren't overly pessimistic and make the game enjoyable even when the product on the floor wasnt.

I hate Tim Breen. Dude is VERY annoying.

Gus is awful and he's even rubbed Clyde the wrong way on several occasions.
HellsKitchen
Head Coach

Post#20 » by HellsKitchen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:21 pm

Kenny may have some first-hand knowlege of the game, but he's just not insightful as a broadcaster.

He never said anything during a Knicks game that impressed me.

The worst thing about him is his occasional Yahoo! column. I hope they're not giving him a lot of money to write those things.

After reading one or two of those and watching him covering the Knicks, I realized Kenny doesn't really have much to contribute without Barkley around to bounce off of. He's better as a straight man than a color guy.

Anyway, I agree with whoever said they like John and Gus, that's a good team. Although if Walsh really wanted to make a bold move, he'd convince Dolan to re-sign Marv.

Return to New York Knicks