ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Slappy(Calzaghe) Update in Less Than 3hrs

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

OT: Slappy(Calzaghe) Update in Less Than 3hrs 

Post#1 » by TheBluest » Fri Nov 7, 2008 12:19 am

How will this fight go down?
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Re: OT: Slappy(Calzaghe) vs Pound 4 Pound(Roy)! 

Post#2 » by TheBigBoss » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:00 am

Roy isn't the pound for pound anything. Calzaghe is the pound for pound champion right now. This fight is too tough to call mostly because it really isn't clear how much Roy has left. Yeah he had good wins against Tito, Hanshaw, and that Prince Ajamu(whatever his name is), but none of those guys are elite fighters so its hard to tell how good Roy still is. If this were prime Roy we were talking about, there would be no discussion, however, with this Roy so far I have to give the edge to Calzaghe. I am not sure how his high activity style will translate against this Roy Jones. I mean on one hand I could see Calzaghe outpunching Roy to a decision, but at the same time I could see Roy just potshotting Calzaghe out of the pocket to land the more meaningful punches. If I had to bet on this one I would say Calzaghe by 12 round decision, but part of me thinks Roy could turn back the clock one last time, and outclass Calzaghe. We will find on Saturday though.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#3 » by TKF » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:03 am

calzaghe should have lost to hopkins who put him on the mat. Bernard dominated the first 6 rounds and then got tired. I think he later admitted his conditioning wasn't right. roy is very fast and can still connect, that will give calzaghe problems. I see roy winning this one..
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#4 » by TheBluest » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:04 am

Knickelz wrote:Roy isn't the pound for pound anything. Calzaghe is the pound for pound champion right now. This fight is too tough to call mostly because it really isn't clear how much Roy has left. Yeah he had good wins against Tito, Hanshaw, and that Prince Ajamu(whatever his name is), but none of those guys are elite fighters so its hard to tell how good Roy still is. If this were prime Roy we were talking about, there would be no discussion, however, with this Roy so far I have to give the edge to Calzaghe. I am not sure how his high activity style will translate against this Roy Jones. I mean on one hand I could see Calzaghe outpunching Roy to a decision, but at the same time I could see Roy just potshotting Calzaghe out of the pocket to land the more meaningful punches. If I had to bet on this one I would say Calzaghe by 12 round decision, but part of me thinks Roy could turn back the clock one last time, and outclass Calzaghe. We will find on Saturday though.

Roy definitely is Pound 4 Pound before Slappy. Yes Slappy is the current champ but Roy proved his Pound 4 Pound weight class to weight class. Slappy has basically dominated one weight division against weak comp. I wish he would fight B-Hop again so he could officially be Executed. I know for a fact Hop is chomping at the bit to fight him again. I think Roy is going to work Slappy over like he's never seen before.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by TKF » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:11 am

TheBluest wrote:
Knickelz wrote:Roy isn't the pound for pound anything. Calzaghe is the pound for pound champion right now. This fight is too tough to call mostly because it really isn't clear how much Roy has left. Yeah he had good wins against Tito, Hanshaw, and that Prince Ajamu(whatever his name is), but none of those guys are elite fighters so its hard to tell how good Roy still is. If this were prime Roy we were talking about, there would be no discussion, however, with this Roy so far I have to give the edge to Calzaghe. I am not sure how his high activity style will translate against this Roy Jones. I mean on one hand I could see Calzaghe outpunching Roy to a decision, but at the same time I could see Roy just potshotting Calzaghe out of the pocket to land the more meaningful punches. If I had to bet on this one I would say Calzaghe by 12 round decision, but part of me thinks Roy could turn back the clock one last time, and outclass Calzaghe. We will find on Saturday though.

Roy definitely is Pound 4 Pound before Slappy. Yes Slappy is the current champ but Roy proved his Pound 4 Pound weight class to weight class. Slappy has basically dominated one weight division against weak comp. I wish he would fight B-Hop again so he could officially be Executed. I know for a fact Hop is chomping at the bit to fight him again. I think Roy is going to work Slappy over like he's never seen before.

I agree..

Slappy? :lol:
TheBigBoss
RealGM

Post#6 » by TheBigBoss » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:37 am

TheBluest wrote:

That was 2 knockouts and 3 losses ago that Roy was pound for pound champ. Now he is just Roy Jones, a name, unless of course he does beat Joe on Saturday then that would restore him back. Also, the things that you are saying about Joe staying in one division to dominate weak competition is the same complaint they had against Roy not too long ago when he was beating nobodies at lightheavyweight. Don't get me wrong, I am a Roy fan, but I am trying to look at this objectively. I think you are underestimating Calzaghe big time, they said he would lose to Lacy, but he dominated him, they said he would lose to Kessler, but he won convincingly, and they also didn't think he could beat Bernard, but he outclassed him. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Roy win on Saturday, but beating a past his prime far over his weight class Tito and two nobodies is not enough to say that he could defeat the undefeated Calzaghe. I will probably be pulling for Roy to win it, although I do like both fighters.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#7 » by TheBluest » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:58 am

Knickelz wrote:
TheBluest wrote:

That was 2 knockouts and 3 losses ago that Roy was pound for pound champ. Now he is just Roy Jones, a name, unless of course he does beat Joe on Saturday then that would restore him back. Also, the things that you are saying about Joe staying in one division to dominate weak competition is the same complaint they had against Roy not too long ago when he was beating nobodies at lightheavyweight. Don't get me wrong, I am a Roy fan, but I am trying to look at this objectively. I think you are underestimating Calzaghe big time, they said he would lose to Lacy, but he dominated him, they said he would lose to Kessler, but he won convincingly, and they also didn't think he could beat Bernard, but he outclassed him. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Roy win on Saturday, but beating a past his prime far over his weight class Tito and two nobodies is not enough to say that he could defeat the undefeated Calzaghe. I will probably be pulling for Roy to win it, although I do like both fighters.

Did Roy not prove naysayers wrong when he moved up weight class after weight class. The Bernard fight was a joke and most viewers who saw the fight know it was. I'm not saying Hop clearly won the fight but Slappy didn't do anything special hence the split decision. I actually wish this was the next fight. And talk about counting a fighter out Hop made Pavlik look amateur when people was saying he was washed up. Hop has done more lately than Calzaghe. He beat Tarver, Winkie, Pavlik really who has Slappy fought lately?
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by TKF » Fri Nov 7, 2008 3:30 am

Did Roy not prove naysayers wrong when he moved up weight class after weight class. The Bernard fight was a joke and most viewers who saw the fight know it was. I'm not saying Hop clearly won the fight but Slappy didn't do anything special hence the split decision. I actually wish this was the next fight. And talk about counting a fighter out Hop made Pavlik look amateur when people was saying he was washed up. Hop has done more lately than Calzaghe. He beat Tarver, Winkie, Pavlik really who has Slappy fought lately?

other than hop, he has fought local bar bullies back in wales.. LOL... but he did beat kessler who IMO is not that great, and a back a few years ago, he did beat lacey...who is Jermain taylor soon... should be a good fight.. But slappy does have a questionable resume.. very questionable..
Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#9 » by Jesus Juice » Fri Nov 7, 2008 4:28 am

I am not a big follower of boxing, but when I do look at fights I have a hard time watching the fights between different races, I always feel like a racist for rooting for the guy that looks like me, I was just wondering if anyone else had that feeling?

either way, I remember Jones when he was younger, just nothing like watching him toy with people in the ring. I think Slappy wins if this goes past 8 rounds, but I think Jones still got some fight left, and it will surprise Slappy early.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#10 » by Jose7 » Fri Nov 7, 2008 4:41 am

Should be a good fight but also on the same day, King Arthur after embarrassing Pantera is going to embarrass Marquez.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Supreme Commander
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Supreme Commander » Fri Nov 7, 2008 4:51 am

I'm going to this one! Real pumped. My buddy knows someone who works at the Garden so I'm getting FLOOR SEATS(!!!) for $200. That's awesome.

Anyway, I'm with Knickelz. I think Roy Jones Jr. has bounced back nicely after his body got used to a new weight class, but Calzaghe has beaten all the names. He has said this is his final match. He's looking to go out like a king... I mean he has won 45 straight, the more recent coming against quality opponents

But for you uber-boxing fans, who on the undercard must I absolutely see? My buddy and I are going to get food and beer near MSG, but are debating when we should head in. Everything starts at 6 or thereabouts, and that's a long time to be in the Garden, home of the $97 Miller Lites.
StutterStep wrote:paragraph breaks
#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#12 » by #1knickfan » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:17 pm

Knickelz wrote:That was 2 knockouts and 3 losses ago that Roy was pound for pound champ. Now he is just Roy Jones, a name, unless of course he does beat Joe on Saturday then that would restore him back. Also, the things that you are saying about Joe staying in one division to dominate weak competition is the same complaint they had against Roy not too long ago when he was beating nobodies at lightheavyweight. Don't get me wrong, I am a Roy fan, but I am trying to look at this objectively. I think you are underestimating Calzaghe big time, they said he would lose to Lacy, but he dominated him, they said he would lose to Kessler, but he won convincingly, and they also didn't think he could beat Bernard, but he outclassed him. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Roy win on Saturday, but beating a past his prime far over his weight class Tito and two nobodies is not enough to say that he could defeat the undefeated Calzaghe. I will probably be pulling for Roy to win it, although I do like both fighters.

No offense but if you think Calzaghe outclassed Hopkins then you know f*ckall about boxing.
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#13 » by #1knickfan » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:31 pm

Supreme Commander wrote:I'm going to this one! Real pumped. My buddy knows someone who works at the Garden so I'm getting FLOOR SEATS(!!!) for $200. That's awesome.

Anyway, I'm with Knickelz. I think Roy Jones Jr. has bounced back nicely after his body got used to a new weight class, but Calzaghe has beaten all the names. He has said this is his final match. He's looking to go out like a king... I mean he has won 45 straight, the more recent coming against quality opponents

But for you uber-boxing fans, who on the undercard must I absolutely see? My buddy and I are going to get food and beer near MSG, but are debating when we should head in. Everything starts at 6 or thereabouts, and that's a long time to be in the Garden, home of the $97 Miller Lites.

From what I understand the undercard is $hit as most pay per view cards are. This pay per view card is worst than most in that alot of pay per views have at one important fight just b4 the main event. The card is mainly showcase bouts.

Zab Judah versus a no-hoper in an attempt to get back to his winning ways. A former Heavyweight prospect who horribly underachieved throughout his career (Dominick Guinn) fights a friend of Roy Jones Jr. Dimitry Salita fights a last minute replacement. About the only undercard bouts of any interest are the Frankie Figeroua vs. Emmanuel Agustus and Daniel Jacobs fights. The FF vs. EA fight interests me because Figeroua used to go to my old high school and Agustus (a last minute replacement) is a fan favorite. They guy is very entertaining and a lot better than his record shows. He's gotten old though so his ability to continue fighting competitively is questionable. One thing is for sure is that Figeroua is nothing special so if Agustus can't beat him he should retire. Daniel Jacobs on the other hand is supposed to be a real blue chip prospect. His fight should be entertaining until he knocks his opponent out.
SportsScribe
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#14 » by SportsScribe » Fri Nov 7, 2008 3:32 pm

Should be an interesting fight. If RJ is unconcerned about Calzaghe's power (or lack of it) and disdains the barrage coming his way in order to sit on his own punches, I can see Jones taking Calzaghe out. I don't see Calzaghe being able to slap Roy silly like he did to Lacy, and I don't think Jones will try to match punch output in a phone booth like Hopkins attempted. Calzaghe is a guy who does not grow arm weary so Jones needs to hurt him early and keep him on the defensive, moving him backwards, punching with bad intentions. It's not really in RJ's nature to fight so aggressively (with the exception of the rematch after his first DQ loss), but if he follows up on lightning quick potshots rather than walking away after throwing them, I think he can win either by KO or else lopsided decision. If Calzaghe is able to dictate the pace as he's done throughout his career, Calzaghe wins a narrow decision in a rather boring fight. Knowing that he only has so many fights in what's left of his career, with time working against any more comebacks, I'm hoping RJ throws caution to the wind and lets the leather fly.
TheBigBoss
RealGM

Post#15 » by TheBigBoss » Fri Nov 7, 2008 5:04 pm

TheBluest wrote:

First off, Hopkins has a very difficult style to look good or "do anything special" against. However, I saw Hopkins get hit alot more than he has in a long time, plus Joe dictated the pace of the fight, which caused Hopkins to fade out as the fight went on. Joe controlled the tempo of that fight, hit Hopkins more than he has been hit in a long time, and fought his fight. Also, you said that Hop made Calzaghe look like an amateur? Again Hopkins has a very difficult style to look good against, even when you win you still look bad, which is why the HBO team criticized Team Pavlik for taking that fight. However, if anything it was Calzaghe that made Hopkins look old, which is why they thought he would lose to Pavlik. Anyways, I felt Joe clearly won, but it is sometimes hard to score a Hopkins fight unless he is fighting straight forward sluggers like Tito, Pavlik, etc.
TheBigBoss
RealGM

Post#16 » by TheBigBoss » Fri Nov 7, 2008 5:08 pm

SportsScribe wrote:Should be an interesting fight. If RJ is unconcerned about Calzaghe's power (or lack of it) and disdains the barrage coming his way in order to sit on his own punches, I can see Jones taking Calzaghe out. I don't see Calzaghe being able to slap Roy silly like he did to Lacy, and I don't think Jones will try to match punch output in a phone booth like Hopkins attempted. Calzaghe is a guy who does not grow arm weary so Jones needs to hurt him early and keep him on the defensive, moving him backwards, punching with bad intentions. It's not really in RJ's nature to fight so aggressively (with the exception of the rematch after his first DQ loss), but if he follows up on lightning quick potshots rather than walking away after throwing them, I think he can win either by KO or else lopsided decision. If Calzaghe is able to dictate the pace as he's done throughout his career, Calzaghe wins a narrow decision in a rather boring fight. Knowing that he only has so many fights in what's left of his career, with time working against any more comebacks, I'm hoping RJ throws caution to the wind and lets the leather fly.

Yeah I pretty much have to echo the sentiments of this post. Roy, who has always been cautious, need to "let the leather fly", although he has been saying that he has nothing to lose and that Calzaghe has everything to lose, lets hope he fights that way.
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#17 » by #1knickfan » Fri Nov 7, 2008 5:22 pm

Knickelz wrote:
First off, Hopkins has a very difficult style to look good or "do anything special" against. However, I saw Hopkins get hit alot more than he has in a long time, plus Joe dictated the pace of the fight, which caused Hopkins to fade out as the fight went on. Joe controlled the tempo of that fight, hit Hopkins more than he has been hit in a long time, and fought his fight. Also, you said that Hop made Calzaghe look like an amateur? Again Hopkins has a very difficult style to look good against, even when you win you still look bad, which is why the HBO team criticized Team Pavlik for taking that fight. However, if anything it was Calzaghe that made Hopkins look old, which is why they thought he would lose to Pavlik. Anyways, I felt Joe clearly won, but it is sometimes hard to score a Hopkins fight unless he is fighting straight forward sluggers like Tito, Pavlik, etc.

Please stop saying Hopkins got hit alot. While slaps do count as hits in this connotation getting hit alot sounds like taking a lot of hard punches. Hopkins didn't. Hopkins landed almost all if not all the meaningful punches in the entire fight. He just lost because he only threw like 10 of them a round and not all of them landed. Calzaghe won the fight because he was busy. He did not outbox,out punch or outclass Hopkins. He outslapped him.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#18 » by EricAnderson » Fri Nov 7, 2008 5:53 pm

people still watch boxing?
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#19 » by Jose7 » Fri Nov 7, 2008 10:24 pm

EricAnderson wrote:people still watch boxing?

Better then watching 2 men in a fixed fight in a cage.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
#1knickfan
Banned User

Post#20 » by #1knickfan » Sat Nov 8, 2008 1:13 am

I like both boxing and MMA. Both sports were more entertaining than the Knicks for the past few years that's for sure.

Return to New York Knicks