ImageImageImageImageImage

Sell High?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Sell High? 

Post#1 » by sol537 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:28 pm

I know everyone is high on the Knicks right now and like what they're seeing out of our albatross contracts, but if we're honest with ourselves, can this team become a contender with a tweak here and a tuck there? I think we can be very good with D'Antoni at the helm and one or two more pieces, but good enough to beat the Boston's or Lakers of the world? I don't think so... We've yet to be really tested and the first time we played a lockdown defensive team in the Spurs, we got manhandled without Parker or Ginobli even on the floor!

I think we should be selling high and not necessarily right this instant, but we may have some desperate buyers out there. The Clippers and Dallas are just two teams that may be looking for upgrades or some kind of spark. We know the Clippers showed some interest in Randolph during the off-season before they grabbed Camby and there was a rumor they had interest in Crawford as well. Why not explore that?

NY Trades: Randolph, Crawford, Lee, and Mardy
LA Trades: Camby (1yr), Thomas (1yr), Mobley (1yr), Gordon, and future lotto-protected 1st

Chandler and Nate would be our featured players and we'd put ourselves in a great position for '10. Thoughts?
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,183

Re: Sell High? 

Post#2 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:59 pm

nah...we're giving up our assets, and not giving up the guys who need to go (Curry...maybe Jeffries depending on how he fits into the system). i think our players still have an ugly rep around the league so we'll definitely need more time to build that value up..
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#3 » by sol537 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:12 pm

knicksh20b wrote:nah...we're giving up our assets, and not giving up the guys who need to go (Curry...maybe Jeffries depending on how he fits into the system). i think our players still have an ugly rep around the league so we'll definitely need more time to build that value up..

So you're saying before we look to move productive guys like Randolph and Crawford, we should be jettisoning Curry and Marbury and then go from there. That seems like what Walsh is doing. I trust in Walsh... he's not infallible, but he's proven to be intelligent.
NY The Truth
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#4 » by NY The Truth » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:49 pm

randolph
qrich
lee
mardy

for

camby
mobley
gordon

keep crawford see how he does for the year in this system.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#5 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:33 pm

i think we should keep randolph...and look to get us a true center with some athletic ability.

i would love to get Kamen or Camby on this team...and get rid of Curry some how along with some expirings maybe.

Knicks trade Curry, Marbury, David Lee and first round pick unprotected and denvers 2nd

Clippers trade

Kamen and whoever to make contracts work...like Kamen/ Tim Thomas, Mobley and maybe Deandre Jordan or something

Kamen/Jordan
Randolph/Gallo/Chandler/Ewing JR/Jeffries
Chandler/QGallo/Ewing JR/Jeffries
JC/Nate/Q
Duhon/Nate

Nice 8-9 man rotation to have when Gallo and Jeffries returns
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#6 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:36 am

I would definitely sell high.

Zach,Crawford,Collins,$3 million cash
for
Camby, Mobley, Gordon, Jordan

Waive Roberson

Future Line up of:

Jordan/Lee
Chandler/Lee
2010 free agent/Gallo
Gordon/Nate
09 first/Nate
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#7 » by sonny » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:03 am

Clips are looking at 30M in capspace in 2010
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#8 » by Smoke24 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:13 am

sonny wrote:Clips are looking at 30M in capspace in 2010

Besides playing in LA, what can they really offer anyone to play there besides money. To play with oft-injured Baron davis. The clippers are the bad little step child of the lakers with questionable management, Well the cheapest owner in sports.

To the other 29 teams 30 million means something, to the clippers, well............
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#9 » by sonny » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:25 am

Smoke24 wrote:
sonny wrote:Clips are looking at 30M in capspace in 2010

Besides playing in LA, what can they really offer anyone to play there besides money. To play with oft-injured Baron davis. The clippers are the bad little step child of the lakers with questionable management, Well the cheapest owner in sports.

To the other 29 teams 30 million means something, to the clippers, well............

Eh, Baron seems like a guy that could draw players there, the hope that Eric Gordon start coming close to his potential, and they have a good big in Kaman.

Sterling looks like he's willing to spend now. They were close to getting Baron while keeping Brand. Dunleavy has already state that 2010 is in their plans. A few years ago they were one of the 3 teams Kobe wanted to sign with.

I don't see them giving that 30M up for a guy they were demanding a top 10 pick as incentive to take him

Zach will be making 17M, Jamal 10M, Lee will want at least 8M.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#10 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:39 am

If you really want to sell high, you let those players continue to play in D'Antoni's system and put up good numbers over a whole season and become a winning team. Now is not the time to sell. I am confident that our players' values will rise, at least the players that were mentioned in this thread.
Boss_
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 233

Post#11 » by Boss_ » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:20 am

hopefully we keep winnining so zach randolph keeps getting more attention..but if we keep winning its mostly thanks to him...

hopefully eddy curry comes back and becomes a stat stuffer*(haha)..and jeffries doesnt come back rusty.

hopefully in dantonis system..eddy curry wont be putting up the eddy curry line anymore (more turnovers than blocks+assists+steals combined!)

but who is going to start at pf and c for us if curry is just a bum all season long, and jeffries comes back playing like a shandon anderson? If we trade Randolph..should we get another big man back in return?
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#12 » by Johnny Hoops » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:26 am

[code][/code]

With our decent start - trading our cores guys is a bad idea right now.

If we were to move Zach and Jamal in that deal we lose nearly 50% of our scoring.

A trade like that could back fire and send us spinning into the abyss once again leaving us to start all over again next year.

Right now - god willing - we need to focus on making the playoffs. If we were to hit that goal it would far more productive towards the teams long term success and we would still have valuable assets to trade.

We can't get to Feb and be in the heat of the playoff race and dump Zach -- you could kill the entire mojo of the team for a long time.

Best bet is to establish and identity - win enough games to challenge for the playoffs - get rid of the stench that was around here and move guys in various deals during the off season for cap room, picks & higher value.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#13 » by cgf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:17 am

We should hold onto our guys because if they can stay in the playoff picture til the deadline our guys will look even better. Now you just sit tight and field any calls you can get for curry or marbs that don't involve contracts past 2010

That said if a team came in with a young player ready to contribute now and cap space for craw or zach you've gotta take it. Neither craw or Zach is going to take us deep and another young guy who can actually contribute will be great.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#14 » by mjhp911 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:19 am

Trade only to make the team better, now. Only look to move the guys out of the rotation, for cap relief. In that case, we can look to pair up an 'asset' (like Lee to get rid of Curry, for instance).

Return to New York Knicks