ImageImageImageImageImage

That GSW game has alot of people mad...

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Amen316
Sixth Man
And1: 4

That GSW game has alot of people mad... 

Post#1 » by Amen316 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:35 am

That GSW game has alot of people mad... in PHOENIX

I admit alot (wait a few of us) have never agreed with the media that knows little to nothing about the game of basketball. So when a SA wins a championship with Defense they want to fire the coach because they believe its the coaches fault.
Instead they told the 2nd winningest coach in the last 5 years to move on down the road and they would instill defense into the roster and win a championship.
Suns hired Porter and the team is one minor injury away from being a .500 team. This is the same team that lost its star scorer in Amare Stoudemire inserted Boris Diaw whom avg 2pts and 2rebs for the Hawks and made it to the conference finals.
Mike has a genius system that brings out the best in players, and possibly Mikes only downfall is that he demands input into the players that come and go. It was my belief he should be made simply to coach. It is up to the staff around him to give him the players.

NY Knicks with any superstar not named Lebron will go deep into the playoffs. Theres too many variables to say even with Lebron the team would go to the finals. The point here is success and Mike D has a philosphy that directly counters his counterparts beliefs.
Through all the criticism that this is just professional park ball .... deep down most fans can relate more to that style than a complicated system.

I am not making any statements about the team this year and its success and failures but it is such a great thing to watch guys like David Lee pull down 20 rebs, Duhon throw 20 assist. Cant wait to see the future of this team, and I hope someday Phoenix will realize just how special of a SYSTEM COACH only that Mike D was.
supergallinari
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: That GSW game has alot of people mad... 

Post#2 » by supergallinari » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:40 am

good post dan.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,932

Post#3 » by F N 11 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:41 am

We don't even have any stars, just hard workers.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,260

Post#4 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:46 am

The Knicks are an odd team. Prior to today it was 3 ugly losses in the last 4 games.

I agree on Dantoni. If he can turn this bunch into a 500 team, that's a very impressive performance.

I've been a Knicks fan a long time. A loyal fan since Rick Pitino.

Pitino - Good
Junk that followed Pitino - very bad
Riley - very good
Don Nelson - Bad
Jeff van Gundy - Good
junk that followed van Gundy - very bad (except that one season under Cheney when they fought their way to 37 wins with a 30 wins worth of talent.) - Cheney was OK/Average.
Dantoni - very good. I think, better than Riley. He's the best coach I've ever seen in a Knicks uniform.

A coach is something you don't really see unless you really know the players and you see the effect he has on the players. Dantoni's improved every player on this team (except Marbury)
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#5 » by Guy986 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:50 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:The Knicks are an odd team. Prior to today it was 3 ugly losses in the last 4 games.

I agree on Dantoni. If he can turn this bunch into a 500 team, that's a very impressive performance.

Pitino - Good
Riley - very good
Don Nelson - Bad
Jeff van Gundy - Good
junk that followed van Gundy - very bad (except that one season under Cheney when they fought their way to 37 wins with a 30 wins worth of talent.) - Cheney was OK/Average.
Dantoni - very good. I think, better than Riley. He's the best coach I've ever seen in a Knicks uniform.

A coach is something you don't really see unless you really know the players and you see the effect he has on the players. Dantoni's improved every player on this team (except Marbury)

Interesting... i didn't know Knicks give out uniforms to their coach...
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#6 » by GuyverADL » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:04 am

The Warriors are in disarray and the East stinks.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#7 » by StutterStep » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:05 am

Luv those Knicks wrote: Pitino - Good
Riley - very good
Don Nelson - Bad
Jeff van Gundy - Good

How was Nelson BAD?
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#8 » by 2010 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:20 am

StutterStep wrote:
Riley - very good
Don Nelson - Bad
Jeff van Gundy - Good

How was Nelson BAD?

He wasn't bad. We actually had a winning record when he was fired. His major offense was that he alientated Ewing by decreasing his role and running the offense through Mason. He also got under the skin of John Starks by demoting him to 6th man. His biggest problem was that he went against the players who had earned the respect of management.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#9 » by StutterStep » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:28 am

2010 wrote:He wasn't bad. We actually had a winning record when he was fired. His major offense was that he alientated Ewing by decreasing his role and running the offense through Mason. He also got under the skin of John Starks by demoting him to 6th man. His biggest problem was that he went against the players who had earned the respect of management.

Well, Starks was (is) actually a 6th man. And, during his tenure Ewing alienated more of the fan base because they realized Ewing was about his stats and not "team first". We were running a motion offense with Mason being the "Point Forward" and it was working well.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:40 am

StutterStep wrote:
Riley - very good
Don Nelson - Bad
Jeff van Gundy - Good

How was Nelson BAD?

Nelson, perhaps wasn't bad, but he was wierd (from this fan's perspective). He took over a team that had won 60, 57 and 55 games over the last 3 years. Granted, the team was aging. Ewing was getting older, Harper was getting older, but outside of those 2 it was the same core - Starks, Mason, Oakley, Smith & Davis. He tried to incorporate his shooting offense into that core. Here we have the strongest front line in the NBA, and Nelson's asking them to play WNBA ball. That's fine if you've got Dirk on your team. He benched Starks, he praised Hubert (Starks was the one who played with fire) and he got fired before the season was out. overall, not a great performance.

Yes, Nelson went 34-25, but basically the same players went 55-27 the year before.

Van Gundy got there and the Knicks were Knicks again. No question in my mind that Gundy was an improvement over Nelson. He let the players play their style - tough defense, structured offense, and the team returned to their flow. It's true that GUndy's record was no better (13-10), but Gundy at least got them to hustle. Nelson didn't.

I think, because he was disliked by the players, and the wins went south, and because he was fired - Nelson has to get a bad rating. But, I'm not set in stone in this. I think Nelson has done a good job, he did good things in Dallas and he did good things in GS for a while (not sure about this year). Maybe if Nelson had been given GM control, he'd have done better. I'm not saying he's universally bad, just that he was bad here, for 2/3rds of a season.

Classy.
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#11 » by 2010 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:44 am

StutterStep wrote:
2010 wrote:He wasn't bad. We actually had a winning record when he was fired. His major offense was that he alientated Ewing by decreasing his role and running the offense through Mason. He also got under the skin of John Starks by demoting him to 6th man. His biggest problem was that he went against the players who had earned the respect of management.

Well, Starks was (is) actually a 6th man. And, during his tenure Ewing alienated more of the fan base because they realized Ewing was about his stats and not "team first". We were running a motion offense with Mason being the "Point Forward" and it was working well.

We were a team back then that was used to being well over .500 and at that point when Nelson was fired I believe (if memory serves me well) we were like 34-25. While that is indeed a winning record many looked at it as unacceptable because teh franchise player and his sidekick (Ewing & Starks) hated the coach and were constantly complaining to senior management (Checketts & Grunfeld). Regardless of whether or not Ewing was about "getting his" and despite the fact that Starks would soon end up a 6th man anyway when Houston arrived it was more about how Nelson just came in and rubbed people the wrong way. Everyone knows this is a players league and coaches who come in and don't play nice with the franchise player right away almost always end up unemployed.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#12 » by mjhp911 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:46 am

supergallinari wrote:good post dan.

:lol:
Radiohead311
Senior
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Radiohead311 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:09 am

Nellie the clown and Starks problems started in 1989, Starks 1st tenure with GS. Nellie tried to black ball Starks from getting an NBA job again and Starks wasn't having it. When Nelllie became coach of the Knicks he demanded a Starks for Vinny Del Negro trade. Ewing wasn't having that and even though Oakley wasn't Starks best bud they were not at all for the Del Negro trade.

Nellie wanted to run Ant Mason at Point Forward and unload Starks for Del Negro. Ewing hated the idea and so Nellie the clown was axed thank goodness.

How Nellie the back stabbing clown keeps a job in this league with all the bridges he's burned is beyond me.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:12 am

2010 wrote:
StutterStep wrote:

We were a team back then that was used to being well over .500 and at that point when Nelson was fired I believe (if memory serves me well) we were like 34-25. While that is indeed a winning record many looked at it as unacceptable because teh franchise player and his sidekick (Ewing & Starks) hated the coach and were constantly complaining to senior management (Checketts & Grunfeld). Regardless of whether or not Ewing was about "getting his" and despite the fact that Starks would soon end up a 6th man anyway when Houston arrived it was more about how Nelson just came in and rubbed people the wrong way. Everyone knows this is a players league and coaches who come in and don't play nice with the franchise player right away almost always end up unemployed.

Is that a Marbury/Dantoni reference??

I personally think that the 1 blunder Dantoni's made was alianating Marbury, especially with this team so banged up and guard light. But overall, Dantoni's still done a good job and he's got a neat coaching style.

Classy.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#15 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:35 am

Guy986 wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:The Knicks are an odd team. Prior to today it was 3 ugly losses in the last 4 games.

Pitino - Good
Riley - very good
Don Nelson - Bad
Jeff van Gundy - Good

Interesting... i didn't know Knicks give out uniforms to their coach...

LOL
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#16 » by realfung » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:30 am

Mike a system coach, nice saying.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#17 » by Bill Bradley » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:33 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
I personally think that the 1 blunder Dantoni's made was alianating Marbury

Well, you've been wrong before.

Return to New York Knicks