ImageImageImageImageImage

NY Post - Nate May Start, Gallo Is Still In Dantonis Plans

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,163

NY Post - Nate May Start, Gallo Is Still In Dantonis Plans 

Post#1 » by TrueWarrior » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:33 am

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12192008/sp ... 144932.htm

There are reasons both for and against Nate Robinson Nate Robinson starting. Mike D'Antoni isn't sure which way he'll eventually go for sure...

"I've thought about it and will continue to think about it," D'Antoni said yesterday. "But the negative of not starting him is that he's resting when he's not tired. Like the start of the game and the start of the third quarter. And if I'm going to use him most of the game, that means he's playing all straight minutes."

Robinson, whose Knicks return home tonight for the first time since Dec. 7, is coming off a superb West Coast swing, averaging 26.3 points in three games.

Another reason why D'Antoni might be holding back from starting Robinson is because he doesn't want to insult Quentin Richardson by taking him out of the lineup. D'Antoni considers him a locker room leader.

Meanwhile, D'Antoni also insisted that rookie Danilo Gallinari is still very much in his plans when his back gets healthy. D'Antoni said he doesn't love using such a short rotation.

"Eight would be nice. Nine is even nicer," he said. "But I've got to feel real comfortable with all the guys I'm playing."
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,432

Re: NY Post - Nate May Start, Gallo Is Still In Dantonis Plans 

Post#2 » by duetta » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:55 pm

I should hope that Gallo is still in our plans! Or even Chubby, if he gets in shape, and decides he wants to play. This team needs size and both these guys bring size.
runnyc
RealGM
And1: 1,242

Post#3 » by runnyc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:17 pm

Another reason why D'Antoni might be holding back from starting Robinson is because he doesn't want to insult Quentin Richardson by taking him out of the lineup. D'Antoni considers him a locker room leader.

:o

Dammit, Mike. Be blunt and honest. Tell Q-Brick he sucks, and until he starts hitting his 3s and stops falling for pump fakes he needs to sit his ass on the bench and lead them in cheers. :lol:
knick4life1218
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#4 » by knick4life1218 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:49 pm

nate is actually needed on the bench, one he can backup the point guard, and bring ALOT of spark off the bench, he still plays close to 35 minutes in the game. If we get another guy on the bench, lets say gallo becomes a spark, or we trade for a instance offense guy, then we can start nate. Either way nate should get 35-40 minutes per game
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#5 » by StutterStep » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:03 pm

Q really did not have the flu against the Kings. He didn't want to come off the bench.

He started the next two games and we lost! Face it, this guy is just as (if not more) political against coaches as the other players.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#6 » by knicksNOTslick » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:07 pm

StutterStep wrote:

Q really did not have the flu against the Kings. He didn't want to come off the bench.

He started the next two games and we lost! Face it, this guy is just as (if not more) political against coaches as the other players.

But we need him to play. D'Antoni probably learned from the Marbury fiasco not to alienate your players because you might need them in the future. QRich is no more of a headcase than Marbs. He's just more likable I guess.
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#7 » by GuyverADL » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Richardson should be coming off the bench and everyone knows it.

Titties > Richardson
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#8 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Thomas is better than Q-Rich in exactly zero ways. All he does is look like a baller.

Q shouldnt start just because of his leadership and locker room qualities. I understand that but it cant be the reason he starts over Nate. Id accept that his D is better or matchups are an issue but not leadership alone.

Part of being a leader is putting the team before you.

However in games that Q plays well its usually early in the game or in the 3rd that he gets hot and in those games we usually win

Still it seems that Nate has earned that starting spot just like Chandler and Lee
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#9 » by Pharmcat » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:48 pm

of course danilo is in our plans, at the very least, he is gonna be our outside 3 point camping shooter
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#10 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:42 pm

I dont think we will see Gallo playing that Tim Thomas role. hes much more aggressive and motivated than a 3point camper
!nstinct
Starter

Post#11 » by !nstinct » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Can someone please explain to me why exactly Nate must start?

The reason I am asking is because I believe we need someone like him coming off the bench. By having Richardson start, he can knock down shots and play defense. When Nate comes in, he will knock down shots and play defense. The problem is when Richardson come off the bench, Duhon might not be in the game so Richardson's offense wont be at even average.

This team is nothing without a good energy guy off the bench. This guy Mike antoni needs to wise up.
DesignStudio
Banned User

Post#12 » by DesignStudio » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:43 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:
StutterStep wrote:

But we need him to play. D'Antoni probably learned from the Marbury fiasco not to alienate your players because you might need them in the future. QRich is no more of a headcase than Marbs. He's just more likable I guess.

QRich is as much of a headcase as Marbury????????? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ito
General Manager
And1: 790

Post#13 » by Ito » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:48 pm

I like Nate coming off the bench. He not as good when starting.. even if he's putting numbers up, I rather have the starters do what they do, and then have Nate coming from the bench for that energy boost
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#14 » by Paeds » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 pm

Nate should stay coming off the bench IMO
Ito
General Manager
And1: 790

Post#15 » by Ito » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 pm

They should play Marbury at SG!

I hate this man, Marbury would do great under Mike's system... I wish all the drama could stop
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#16 » by RutgersBJJ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:43 pm

He is there at the end of the game, that is all that matters. He doesn't need to start to play more minutes if D'Antoni really wants Q to start. That is a stupid excuse.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#17 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:42 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:
StutterStep wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous statement. I'm sure that D'Antoni has zero regrets about the Marbury situation and never felt like he needed Marbury in the least.
Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Post#18 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:47 pm

D'Antoni said yesterday. "But the negative of not starting him is that he's resting when he's not tired. Like the start of the game and the start of the third quarter. And if I'm going to use him most of the game, that means he's playing all straight minutes."

For those of you who may have missed it, this is the main reason behind starting Nate. I remember reading posts about how we "need Lee's energy off the bench" and I thought it was bs then just like I think it's bs now in Nate's case. If Nate is the superior player, we should not be resting him when he is not tired in favor of an inferior player. It's not like Nate needs a lot of rest either.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#19 » by TheBluest » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:51 pm

StutterStep wrote:

I can't stand the sight of him. There has been hypocrisy and major politics going on this season.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#20 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:56 pm

My only worry with starting Nate is there's no back-up PG. If both Duhon and Nate get into foul trouble early than we're DONE. Absolutely screwed until they can get back in, and we can't afford both guys gassed at once. One of them has to be in for a fluid offense. I think once the Knicks use Mobley's spot on another G, Nate can start.

I wouldn't sweat Q's emotions. If he's really a leader he'll deal with it.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Knicks