ImageImageImageImageImage

OT- Suns have sucked at the draft the last 5 years

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

NySpartan4
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Re: OT- Suns have sucked at the draft the last 5 years 

Post#21 » by NySpartan4 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:49 am

^^ ok but r u saying that D'antoni had NO say on that matter? i dont think so. he has to shoulder the blame as well
Bill Bradley: BNO doesn't annoy me with his pessimism. It's more about the very core of his being that I find annoying.
Knicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#22 » by Knicksfan1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:58 am

NySpartan4 wrote:^^ ok but r u saying that D'antoni had NO say on that matter? i dont think so. he has to shoulder the blame as well

No that is all on the GM check McFail, dude draft OJ and roy and trades them, do u think the coach had a say in that. Also, I believe the suns GM didnt like mike
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Also, everybody complains about KG setting moving screens, but Duncan is just as bad
albert
Veteran
And1: 44

Post#23 » by albert » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:11 am

2008:

* We have the #15 pick and draft Robin Lopez. He’s easily one of the worst players in the NBA who is actually getting minutes. I won’t be surprised if our crappy management picks up his third and fourth year options, but I’ll be shocked if he can get another job in the NBA after his rookie contract is up. Heck, I’ll be surprised if he can even get a job playing overseas. He’s just a guy who’s seven feet tall. He does not in any way resemble a basketball player. Jake Tsakalidis had more of a clue than this guy.

Didn't know Joakim Noah was playing for the Suns under the name Robin Lopez.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#24 » by frogfood » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:57 pm

NySpartan4 wrote:^^ ok but r u saying that D'antoni had NO say on that matter? i dont think so. he has to shoulder the blame as well

Coach do you want more talented players?
No!

This is obviously Sarver's decree and it has been their MO, avoiding the luxury tax, for ages. You're sadly grasping at straws and clearly have other issues with D'Antoni.
nyknicks2k2
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 574

Post#25 » by nyknicks2k2 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:06 pm

Yes because Mike obviously preferred to coach the money the Suns got out of the deals instead of the actual players.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#26 » by Scalabrine » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 pm

kNiCk_PriDe wrote:yeah, its ridiculous...the knicks should be high and above everyone in this department...their financial resources are unlimited....but they continue to ignore the advantage they have

look at the yankees...they take full advantage of their revenue

yes, the knicks cant buy players becuz theres a cap, but theres nothin stoppin them from buying picks

Well if we buy a late first rounder for say 3 million dollars, then have to pay the players rookie salary of around 3 million dollars and then the luzuary tax 3 million dollars that 9 million dollars the first year for a rookie that may not even play. The Suns owner was looking at those moves as good business moves, why pay these guys 6 million dollars for a guy who probably wouldnt get PT on a start studded team, it didnt work basketball wise however.

The owner (Sarver?) is just very cheap, he traded Joe Johnson for Diaw and picks, traded the picks to get rid of contracts and signed Diaw to a 9 million a year contract. This has nothing to do with the Knicks because we wont be selling our picks for cash because we can afford it.
Go Knicks!
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#27 » by Gold Chain » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:14 pm

You fail to mention that you drafted Nash, Amera and teh Matrix.

A little skewed, most teams have a patchy draft past and the draft is a crap shoot IMO. Very tough.
Ris_4.4
Junior
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Ris_4.4 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:10 am

All those moves were money related in my opinion. The knicks on the other hand had some of the worst drafts under Laiden and his predesessor its not even funny. I can't remember one good pick from 1995 till we got our now suicidal ex gm.
I mean look at this history

95' we don't have a pick
96' we draft Walter McCarthy and John Wallace, both were mediocre bench players at best
97' John Thomas who did nothing in the league
98'we have no first again and draft two players whose name dont make me remember thair names(don't think they even made the team.
99' was when we draft Weis ahead of Artest, Posey, Kirilenko, heck even Jeff foster and Devaen George.
00' we draft Harvey and Mr MVP Postel...whoop tee doo.
01' we get the begining of the fat undersized PF era with Michael Wright, and Chenowit.

The one thing that wasn't bothering me though was that we were so good those years, the next few years just make me wan't to burn down MSG.

02' we trade the 7th pick and Camby for a broken McDyess. and passed on Amare, Caron, or even kept Nene with Camby next to him!
03' we draft another fat PF to play next to Weatherspoon, Sweetney, and we passed on David west who was actually a normall weight for a basketball player!

Then we get Isaiah who had a nightmare team (I still give him credit for his drafting skills, but only for that)

04' we get Ariza in the second round
05' we get Frye, Nate and Lee, although we did pass on Bynum.
06' we get Balkman and Collins.
07' we got Wilson.

If it wasn't for the dumb ass trades he made where he gave up picks when he probably didn't have to, we would have better picks to work with and he a better team. Too bad we couldn't take the loosing and kept trying to make quick fixes. like in 06' when he traded the pick for Curry, we could have had Gay or Roy...

20/20 is what it is. But I have no pity for another teams draft blunders when the whole time I've been a fan, my team makes me want to puke with most of the stupid **** they did.
"I tell the truth, even when I lie" - Scarface
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#29 » by ctorres » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:15 pm

In '05, we also passed on Granger.

Frye warranted the pick in his rookie year, but then he regressed.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#30 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:57 pm

I was so pissed when PHX sold the 24 that became Fernandez and we didn't get it. I can't believe how many picks PHX has basically sold away because of the greedy ownership. I mean, the Knicks make bad picks, PHX doesn't even make picks...both lose. Since we got Gallo and Chandler and Lee though, I give us the edge right now in recent drafts lol...comes with being the worse team.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#31 » by seren » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:46 pm

I can understand selling out lower picks as there are no guarantees for them to become something good. The deal that bothers me is the number seven pick for a future first. It wasn't like it was a bad draft. They could have used Deng and probably many other players picked below him.

Anyhow, D'Antoni was a bad GM and he has to get some blame. He wanted to sign Marcus Banks and in order to sign him, he traded away a first round pick. That is a lame move.

Everything else, on the other hand, in on the ownership.

I am happy D'Antoni is coaching for us and is not our GM.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#32 » by ctorres » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:57 pm

I wouldn't blame D'Antoni for signing Banks though. Banks had just played really well with the Timberwolves the previous season and no one thought he would regress as much as he did.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#33 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Yeah there is no correlation with the drafting of players to Mike D'Antoni. Its no secret and I thought that it was a known fact that Sarver is extremely cheap. The only thing that you MIGHT be able to knock D'Antoni on is that when you have a rotation of only 8-9 players the owner might not want to pay for players who wont be used. Well we have an owner that is full of money and still have holes to fill.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks