ImageImageImageImageImage

Whats Up With The Cheering For Kobe?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Re: Whats Up With The Cheering For Kobe? 

Post#61 » by TKF » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:10 pm

StutterStep wrote:Hahn must not be a native New Yorker or was not raised here. If he was, it's time to revoke his NY BBall card!

his excuses were just garbage..
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#62 » by TheBluest » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:17 pm

TKF wrote:
defjux21 wrote:From Alan Hahn:

What fans need to understand is the Garden is not like a typical arena. Unless the Knicks are an elite team, the place is merely a stage for basketball. The current team hasn't earned the right to call it their home court in almost a decade. So you have to expect in a city such as this that when superstars come in, people flock to this grand theater to see greatness and be entertained. And when the Memphis Grizzlies come in, they'll cheer for the home team.

But I feel what some of you were saying in the comments area; the frustration of how the crowd so quickly falls in love with the leading man, no matter what city he represents. But you have to ask yourself, where is the allegience right now with the current Knicks team? The Garden faithful loves Danilo Gallinari. He has that it factor right now with the fans. He creates buzz when he's on the floor and especially when he touches the ball.

Remember, this is the crowd that welcomed a Safeway bag boy, raised him with stern, though unconditional love, and watched him grow into an all-star with his own Garden moment: The Dunk.

Perhaps Gallo is in the same incubator right now. If so, good for him.

Meanwhile, right now, until this team gets its own signature player and lovable role players around him and develops an identity and connection with the New York crowd, this is how it's going to be. Because this isn't Charlotte or Miami or Detroit or even Boston and LA. This is a totally different stage. You hate it but you love it....and you know it.

not buying that.. the knicks have won 5 straight home games, there was a buzz about the team playing better, lee just named player of the week, new coach, new GM, new era... If that isn't enough to cheer for , then I don't know what to say....

Poor excuse making by hahn.... this team should not pay for the poor management of the previous front office.... That is just a sign of fans not moving on... and we are supposed to be better fans than that.. end of story!!

We keep talking about changing the culture of the team, the fan base is in need of a bigger culture change...

Dang Hahn was just starting to get back in the good I guess not now :lol: :lol:

It's tough reading and listening to excuses, I've endured it on this board for almost 4yrs now. Even in this very thread with exception to Hahn as I stated earlier which give support to your argument,...........Uh if the Arena was bodied by Laker Fans where were the Knick fans at considering the stakes at hand, who they were playing, and the the 10 game stretch of play. Bottom line excuses are so played out New York needs to man up and look themselves in the mirror and simply say "I Repent" and change their course. The Culture is still Wack even with new blood here.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#63 » by StutterStep » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:03 pm

TKF wrote:
StutterStep wrote:Hahn must not be a native New Yorker or was not raised here. If he was, it's time to revoke his NY BBall card!

I wrote in a post when I first started posting here that it was the media dumb'ing down the fans. You can judge a fan base's knowledge based on its media. The days of good NY Sports Journalism has been over for quite some time. It shows all around us.

As much as we bash other markets (boards), I find myself having much better conversations (and reads) from other boards. I only post on this board because I'm a Knicks fan and discussions with a few posters. So I'm really not surprised by Garden fans' reactions to Kobe.

I remember going to a game before the team went SOUTH. We were playing the Magic, Francis/Mobley were killing us, and fans next to me were excited! I'm looking at this dude and his stupid chick and about to lose it-- my wife switched seats with me to prevent me from being so close to them. The Knicks start playing better, and they start cheering for the Knicks. They cheered equally for both teams. The dude had on a Yankee hat, so I assume they were from here.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by TKF » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:14 pm

StutterStep wrote:
TKF wrote:

I wrote in a post when I first started posting here that it was the media dumb'ing down the fans. You can judge a fan base's knowledge based on its media. The days of good NY Sports Journalism has been over for quite some time. It shows all around us.

As much as we bash other markets (boards), I find myself having much better conversations (and reads) from other boards. I only post on this board because I'm a Knicks fan and discussions with a few posters. So I'm really not surprised by Garden fans' reactions to Kobe.

I remember going to a game before the team went SOUTH. We were playing the Magic, Francis/Mobley were killing us, and fans next to me were excited! I'm looking at this dude and his stupid chick and about to lose it-- my wife switched seats with me to prevent me from being so close to them. The Knicks start playing better, and they start cheering for the Knicks. They cheered equally for both teams. The dude had on a Yankee hat, so I assume they were from here.

THERE are a few posters in here I like talking to in depth about ball, Yourself, bluest(although he gets on my damn nerves sometimes .... :lol: ) kos, LTK, flaming mo, gony, Smack, TW, just to name a few and if I left you out, it doesn't mean I don't like conversing.. but my point is, there are just a handful of posters that really want to and understand ball. that is why during the game threads of other teams, you know, the around the NBA threads, we usually have some of the best conversations, you, myself and the bluest, because the knicks are not involved.. hahhahaha.. but seriously, I do know one thing, although we may dissagree, we all love the knicks, but we love basketball , the game, just as much if not more.... The NY fans of today are overall, obnoxious, loud mouth, unreasonable, and not astute basketball wise as many perceive them to be... that it the minority.. It isn't the minority that shows up and boo for no reason. It isn't the minority of smart fans that show up and root for kobe chanting MVP, and it isn' t the minority supporting and defending such behavior.... It is the majority... the ones who get a lot of credit being smart knick fans by association.. Association with the smart knick fans... last night was a disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!

Even my son was smart enough not to cheer to hard for kobe.. All he said, was, wow, kobe is good... and he did that walking on eggshells!!!!! How we let that happen in the garden is disgusting... If you are wilson chandler and you are out there doing your best to defend this guy as he makes tough shot, after tough shot, and your fans are cheering and oohing and aahhing? Get out of here!!!
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by TKF » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:17 pm

Dang Hahn was just starting to get back in the good I guess not now :lol: :lol:

It's tough reading and listening to excuses, I've endured it on this board for almost 4yrs now. Even in this very thread with exception to Hahn as I stated earlier which give support to your argument,...........Uh if the Arena was bodied by Laker Fans where were the Knick fans at considering the stakes at hand, who they were playing, and the the 10 game stretch of play. Bottom line excuses are so played out New York needs to man up and look themselves in the mirror and simply say "I Repent" and change their course. The Culture is still Wack even with new blood here.

good call out there. Great point.. I was all phsyched for this game, we are playing well and kobe in town with the lakes, the NY fans should have filled darn near every seat!!!
NYspeedy
Senior
And1: 192

Post#66 » by NYspeedy » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:20 pm

True Knicks fan bleed Orange and Blue. Kobe MVP my a**!!!
nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,219

Post#67 » by nyknicks09 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:35 pm

Ito wrote:ya taking the whole knicks pride to another level... it was a great performance by kobe, and new york has the best fans in the world.. so they showed him love.. our players showed him love too, i dont understand why ya hating

Exactly! He deserves all the praise for the great performance at MSG. He didn't dis the Knicks at all and was glad and honored to do it at MSG. :wave:
New York Knicks
Sandman321
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#68 » by Sandman321 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:47 pm

TKF wrote:
THERE are a few posters in here I like talking to in depth about ball, Yourself, bluest(although he gets on my damn nerves sometimes .... :lol: ) kos, LTK, flaming mo, gony, Smack, TW, just to name a few and if I left you out, it doesn't mean I don't like conversing.. but my point is, there are just a handful of posters that really want to and understand ball. that is why during the game threads of other teams, you know, the around the NBA threads, we usually have some of the best conversations, you, myself and the bluest, because the knicks are not involved.. hahhahaha.. but seriously, I do know one thing, although we may dissagree, we all love the knicks, but we love basketball , the game, just as much if not more.... The NY fans of today are overall, obnoxious, loud mouth, unreasonable, and not astute basketball wise as many perceive them to be... that it the minority.. It isn't the minority that shows up and boo for no reason. It isn't the minority of smart fans that show up and root for kobe chanting MVP, and it isn' t the minority supporting and defending such behavior.... It is the majority... the ones who get a lot of credit being smart knick fans by association.. Association with the smart knick fans... last night was a disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!

Even my son was smart enough not to cheer to hard for kobe.. All he said, was, wow, kobe is good... and he did that walking on eggshells!!!!! How we let that happen in the garden is disgusting... If you are wilson chandler and you are out there doing your best to defend this guy as he makes tough shot, after tough shot, and your fans are cheering and oohing and aahhing? Get out of here!!!

I was there last night and that's what I was thinking when all this bs was going on. I mean Chandler was busting his ass out there, but what are you gonna do when you're guarding the reigning mvp and no matter what he throws up and how you defend it, it's going in. Kobe reverted back to the ball-hogging Kobe of a few years ago.

In and around my section (133) I didn't really see Knick fans gushing over Kobe. There just happened to be an insane amount of Laker fans in the building. Looks like there's a lot of Hollywood bandwagon jumpers here in NYC....and it's really disgusting. I'm still shaking my head today.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by TKF » Tue Feb 3, 2009 9:00 pm

Sandman321 wrote:
TKF wrote:

I was there last night and that's what I was thinking when all this bs was going on. I mean Chandler was busting his ass out there, but what are you gonna do when you're guarding the reigning mvp and no matter what he throws up and how you defend it, it's going in. Kobe reverted back to the ball-hogging Kobe of a few years ago.

In and around my section (133) I didn't really see Knick fans gushing over Kobe. There just happened to be an insane amount of Laker fans in the building. Looks like there's a lot of Hollywood bandwagon jumpers here in NYC....and it's really disgusting. I'm still shaking my head today.[/quote]

THAT SUCKS, i can remember going to knicks/celtics games back in the 80's and there would be fights in the stands between knick fans and celtics fans wearing those ugly green shirts and running their mouths... I am sorry, but it should have been uncomfortable for those fans to even cheer, nevertheless come in with those dumb lakers jerseys.. try that crap in philly during a eagles game.. LOL... You will get your head handed to you!!!
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#70 » by TheBluest » Tue Feb 3, 2009 9:15 pm

Laker fans should never have been able to Body MSG to the point it felt like a 'ROAD GAME" regardless of what Kobe was doing if New Yorkers repped Knicks. But how comical New York fans will diss Laker Fans in a heartbeat and call them Fakers when they can't even hold down their own Arena.
ezmoney707
General Manager
And1: 2,756

Post#71 » by ezmoney707 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 9:22 pm

Watching that game last night just made me sick. You should never ever cheer for the other teams player. I don't care how good of a game he is having or not. Don't you think by you cheering him on he is going to have even more confidence to chew your team up if the home crowd is cheering for him. I really wish i could have slapped the hell out of breen last night too because of the nut riding he was doing last night. Every time Kobe scored i felt like i was watching a LA telecast. That constant cheering for kobe has to be demoralizing to a team. I can understand if this game was out of hand and the crowd was ahhhhing, but the game was not out of reach until kobe came back in and the crowd was cheering every time the man had the ball in his hand. The team seem to give up as soon as he got in because they couldn't make a late rally because their home crowd was cheering for the other teams player.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,163

Post#72 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Feb 3, 2009 9:45 pm

I just feel bad for our players more than anything. If I was playing and my home crowd started chanting for the guy lighting us up and calling him MVP it would make me feel like sh*t. Especially after we just won 5 straight at home. Thats just messed up man. We dont have Marbury, Curry, Zach, or Jamal anymore. The guys playing for us are trying their best and this is how we show em love? Just pathetic.
louiggi
Sophomore

Post#73 » by louiggi » Tue Feb 3, 2009 10:01 pm

Forget what the players did last night. This is the one game that you ignore how the players performed. The first and last time I will say this. I have been a hardcore fan since the Bernard King days and I have never been so disturbed by the home crowd in my 20 years of watching the Knicks. I can't even imagine how the players felt to hear chants of MVP in the first quarter. Don't give me this people were only cheering a great performance when he was being cheered from the opening tip. If I was listening to the game on the radio I would have sworn this game was in LA.

There are few times that the Garden crowd acts disgracefully. Ripping up posters of Ewing on Patrick Ewing night was pretty horrible. But to me this was much worse. What I saw last night was a betrayal.
In a recent interview David Lee said the Knicks had a chance to win some of these games as long as the team had the enthusiastic crowds that they have had during this win streak. I thought it was kind of odd that he seemed to be almost pleading for support from the Garden fans when I felt it was a given. I guess he knew something that I didn't.

I wish I could be a fan where I could root for other teams and other players. But I hated every single point that Kobe scored last night. I hated every point that Jordan scored when he was in the Garden. People say you have to admire his performance, that the crowd got caught up in Kobemania.. Sorry, you now what I would like to have seen last night. Kobe go for 1 point. And that point would have come on n a technical free throw. Now that would have been something to cheer.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#74 » by HighRyzer83 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 10:02 pm

That was gutwrenching to see that. The fans that cheered are NOT knicks fans or not men. by that I mean they do not have any loyalty, dignity, pride or honor. basically a bunch followers and beta males.
nonplayerzealot
Banned User

Post#75 » by nonplayerzealot » Tue Feb 3, 2009 10:03 pm

ezmoney707 wrote:Every time Kobe scored i felt like i was watching a LA telecast.

On the LA telecast, they were chuckling at Kobe breaking that "double nickel" record WEEELLLLL before he did it. They have seen enough of this to know when Kobe's getting 50+. The feat usually starts shaping up before the 2nd half has even begun.

Return to New York Knicks