ImageImageImageImageImage

Whats Up With The Cheering For Kobe?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

JackKnife2ooo
Senior
And1: 36

Re: Whats Up With The Cheering For Kobe? 

Post#21 » by JackKnife2ooo » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:02 am

i was also at the game

INSANE amount of lakers fans everywhere, seemingly from LA.

what can you do? they are a popular team. im proud of the knicks play up until the 4th quarter. it was hard to sustain team energy with the crowd/kobes performance. definitely like a road game.

we have no stars to cheer for, its tough :(
Ito
General Manager
And1: 790

Post#22 » by Ito » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:52 am

TrueWarrior wrote:
Ito wrote:ya taking the whole knicks pride to another level... it was a great performance by kobe, and new york has the best fans in the world.. so they showed him love.. our players showed him love too, i dont understand why ya hating

Ok so you would cheer for a Red Sox player if he broke a Yankee Stadium record? How bout a Cowboys fan at Giants stadium? I dont care if you're a fan of these teams or not, but you dont do that. Thats BS. Showin some love is fine, but not chanting f*ckin MVP. You dont see the difference here?

I understand you, but it's not like there's a rivalry between the lakers and knicks... or with Kobe
KobeFarmarEra
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#23 » by KobeFarmarEra » Tue Feb 3, 2009 10:04 am

^^ Yeah but Philly (Kobe's hometown) still boos him no matter what.

You know people like to talk about bandwagon Laker fans, well, I've never seen them cheer like that for an opposing player at the Forum or Staples. It's obvious New York just doesn't care about the Knicks right now and I cant really blame them. Same thing with the Celtics two years ago when their fans gave Kobe MVP chants in Boston. Now THAT was hilarious.
Mahoney_jr
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#24 » by Mahoney_jr » Tue Feb 3, 2009 10:49 am

Well, he got that treatment in Boston during the infamous 2006/2007 season as well and we are still embarrassed. I feel your pain, Knicks fans. But I don't believe those guys were real Knicks fans or that real Celtics fans cheered for Kobe two years ago.
MDDN48
Senior
And1: 165

Post#25 » by MDDN48 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 11:08 am

TrueWarrior wrote:
BelieveTheDream wrote:Giving respect and chanting MVP is totally different.

I agree.

The MVP chants AND the applause at the end had me cursing at my tv.

Kudos to D'Antoni for calling this a road game for our guys in the post-game interview.

Totally disgusting...
"DARE TO BE GREAT"

COMPANY MERCH: http://jam3productions.bigcartel.com/
NYKnick87
Banned User

Post#26 » by NYKnick87 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:54 pm

Eh...this isn't really a big deal considering the amount of Lakers fans in the building. The Lakers, like the Knicks, are just one of those teams that have a large contingent of fans not just across America, but the world. Kobe put on a great performance, gave what the fans wanted to see, and got applauded for it, as he so should have. Nothing different, from the cheers Lebron got when he dropped a triple double on the Knicks at the Garden. Being a Knick fan doesn't mean you can't acknowledge a great performance by the game's current best player.
ska
Senior
And1: 2

Post#27 » by ska » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:06 pm

May be I am a little cinic but... what you guys expect ?

I mean, its not that Lakers and Knicks are on the same level(yet!).

Knick were ugly to watch for way too much time and I feel its normal that someone else enter in the mind of the average fans.
NY was 12th,15th,12th,14th in the last 4 season and Lakers were on top of it. And Kobe is Kobe!
What they were cheering for ? For the people that have just battled with the Celtics!

It's like pretending that your wife doesn't look at Brad Pitt...

It will take time to change this habit, and a lot of good games from the Knicks.
let start with making playoff, just for a change!
NYKnick87
Banned User

Post#28 » by NYKnick87 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:24 pm

ska wrote:May be I am a little cinic but... what you guys expect ?

Knick were ugly to watch for way too much time and I feel its normal that someone else enter in the mind of the average fans.
NY was 12th,15th,12th,14th in the last 4 season and Lakers were on top of it. And Kobe is Kobe!
What they were cheering for ? For the people that have just battled with the Celtics!

It will take time to change this habit, and a lot of good games from the Knicks.

LOL. But yeah, another element behind all this Kobe cheering might be due to the fact that the Knicks have totally sucked during the Isiah era.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#29 » by Pharmcat » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:30 pm

with all due respect, i dont think its that bad....msg has had no star in the last decade, and the best player in the world comes and puts on a show, so he gets cheered for his effort...plus, its not like we have a rivalry with the LAL right now....i think it was ok
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#30 » by boomann21 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:31 pm

I think we need to get more cap space to sign Kobe in 2009. He really loves the Garden.
Duhon2Lee42
Banned User

Post#31 » by Duhon2Lee42 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:42 pm

We have a bunch of **** idiots as fans. Just imagine what I going to go through tomorrow when I'm at the game. I understand cherring for a great player when they retire (like we do MJ), but how the **** are you going to cheer for a guy during the game? They did this **** with Carmelo after he punched our player, they do it with Lebron as he **** show us up and start hitting 3s, now they even cheer for Kobe after beating King's record. Unbelievable.
Duhon2Lee42
Banned User

Post#32 » by Duhon2Lee42 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:44 pm

I do have to give the real Knicks fans credit though. They booed the MVP chants every time.
holdupstop23
Head Coach

Post#33 » by holdupstop23 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:54 pm

New York, the land of the bandwagoners.

Look how many damn Laker/Cowboy/Yankee fans are here... :nonono:
**Proud Member of the Frank Williams for Starter Campaign**
Member #1 of 1
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,331

Post#34 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:59 pm

It was really embarrassing. I felt like I wanted to puke.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#35 » by EchelonNYK » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:05 pm

MSG has become a neutral playing field. MVP chants for an opposing player?!? that's embarrassing.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#36 » by TKF » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:39 pm

ska wrote:May be I am a little cinic but... what you guys expect ?

Fine, but would you want to come home and find her in the bed " getting herself off" as we call it, while watching the movie TROY?

Get the point?
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#37 » by knicks742 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:49 pm

I do think you guys underestimate how many non-Knicks fans show up to these games. There are many seasonticketholders like myself who were able to sell out these tickets for a very handsome profit so we weren't there and Al Trautwig even mentioned that in the post game. Breen also mentioned that during the MVP chants the Knicks fans were booing and trying to drown them out so it's not like the entire amount of people were chanting.

Having said that, I think the right approach for Knicks fans in these games is to boo their hearts out during the game but if a guy has a performance like that you have to give him his props at the end.
Big Chan
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#38 » by Big Chan » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:51 pm

I was there and i was embarrassed. There were definitely a ton of Lakers fans, that contributed to the noise, there are also a ton of Spanish who come to root for Gasol. So you couple those two things together and you get almost half the garden rooting for a guy on the other team.
I almost got into fights because of how angry i was. If only we were relevant this would never happen. The fans are sick of us being bad and revert to stuff like this to entertain themselves.

It was a sad day to be a Knick fan
aNYthing
Senior
And1: 2

Post#39 » by aNYthing » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:52 pm

This was really disgusting...I couldnt believe all this MVP chants i was hearing....Bunch of idiots....and i really doubt this ppl were really laker "fans"...i doubt they know much about basketball.......They just belong to "Kobe Nut Riders Club" SMH....
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#40 » by knicks742 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:53 pm

Big Chan wrote:I was there and i was embarrassed. There were definitely a ton of Lakers fans, that contributed to the noise, there are also a ton of Spanish who come to root for Gasol. So you couple those two things together and you get almost half the garden rooting for a guy on the other team.
I almost got into fights because of how angry i was. If only we were relevant this would never happen. The fans are sick of us being bad and revert to stuff like this to entertain themselves.

It was a sad day to be a Knick fan

Good point on the Spanish fans. Those **** are loud whenever Gasol or Sergio or Rudy come to town. Same as they Yao contingency. Now it makes more sense.

Return to New York Knicks