ImageImageImageImageImage

New York/ Sacramento

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

New York/ Sacramento 

Post#1 » by SuperflyKnick » Tue Feb 3, 2009 4:26 pm

Ny- Brad Miller, Kenny Thomas, Mikki Moore
Sac- Stephan Marbury, Jared Jeffries

Ny- The main goal of takin on this deal and all that salary is that all the deals expire 2010..... thus
making it possible for the knicks to resign Lee.... or to have more flexibility with the roster...Brad
Miller cud help the knicks with much needed size up front and looks like he cud fit into D-toni's
system. We have to take on Kenny Thomas's aweful deal along with Mikki but its worth the
flexibilty.

Sac- This deal will give them great Cap room goin into the off-season. They will have 21 mil coming off
the cap due to marbury expiring In the process they rid them selves of Kenny thomas's contract.
Jeffries has 1 more yr then Moore on his deal but they save nearly 3 times more money due to the
fact Millers and thomas contracts wont be on the books for next season. So at the end they end up
paying jeffries for 1 more yr at 6 mil but save nearly 20 mil.
Big Chan
Veteran
And1: 173

Re: New York/ Sacramento 

Post#2 » by Big Chan » Tue Feb 3, 2009 4:34 pm

i think Moores deal is only guaranteed for like 2 mill next year, so it doesn't save that much. If they are moving Miller they are going to want a pick or a young guy, would you do the deal if you had to throw in Nate?
BelieveTheDream
RealGM
And1: 45

Post#3 » by BelieveTheDream » Tue Feb 3, 2009 4:42 pm

Big Chan wrote:i think Moores deal is only guaranteed for like 2 mill next year, so it doesn't save that much. If they are moving Miller they are going to want a pick or a young guy, would you do the deal if you had to throw in Nate?

yea i would throw in nate if they throw in donte green or picks if we trade nate we need to atleast ge a little value back
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#4 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Feb 3, 2009 5:46 pm

This is good thinking but I agree with the 2 other comments in regard to getting back a young player.

We really aren't saving a great deal here - basically removing Jared's deal for the 2010/2011 year.

In order to do that you are taking on about $26M next year - doubled with luxury tax implications you are talking over $50M -- WOW.

Who knows what Dolan is willing to eat short-term but if we are offering up Zeke like deals to teams that allow them to save HUGE $$$ next year then they need to kick in pick(s) or young players like Francisco Garcia to make things work.

Miller does give us a good player for a year - he would play great for D'Antoni because he moves well, passes great and can shoot the ball. But still without some type of young talent coming back it seems like we are taking the LARGE brunt of the hit on your proposal.

I like Miller, Thomas and Garcia for Steph and Jefferies.

Knicks take on big $$ next year but get a servicable center and a legit combo guard.

Who knows if SacTown would be interested.
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#5 » by livintoolive » Tue Feb 3, 2009 5:49 pm

R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
putiger78
Sixth Man
And1: 206

Post#6 » by putiger78 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:30 pm

I know saving jefferies $7MM for 2011 doesn't seem like much, but it would make a very meaningful difference for the 2010 offseason. Now obviously, with the added 2009-10 salary and the luxury tax, its a lot of money to pay just to save the cap space for 2010, so it depends on how important to you the 2010 offseason (last I checked, it was of the utmost importance). The tremendous cost savings for the Kings is why I wouldn't be too keen on adding any other assets besides Marbury's expiring. This trade would save the Kings about $18MM in 2009-10 (not counting any LT, if any) and allow them to sign a free agent this offseason. Miller is the only productive player they give up, and let's face it, he hasn't been all that productive for them. The trade is basically Jefferies and $10MM for Miller.

Return to New York Knicks