ImageImageImageImageImage

Amare on the block

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Re: Amare on the block 

Post#101 » by knicks742 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 1:38 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Amare + Alando Tucker

For

Lee + Rose + Jeffries

Works.

Good proposal. If the Suns want to save money, we can also swap Marbury/Shaq (they have similar contracts but Marbury's expires in 2009 while for Shaq it's 2010).

Amare + Shaq
for
Lee + Rose + Jeffries + Marbury

With Marbury + Rose the Suns would clear $30M at the end of the season. Meaning they could be under the cap and sign free agents as soon as next summer. They'd still have Nash, Barbosa, Richardson and Lee so they wouldn't be tanking.

For the Knicks, we get rid of Jared Jeffries' $6.8M salary in 2010-2011 and we resolve the David Lee situation by a trade.
The situation would look like this in 2010 :

Eddy Curry................ $11,276,863
Danilo Gallinari............$3,304,560
Wilson Chandler...........$2,130,482
Amare........................$17,000,000*
Nate Robinson.............$5,000,000*
2009 1st round pick......$2,000,000*
--------------------------------------------------
TOTAL.......................$40,711,905

* estimation

We would have approx $18M-$20M cap room to sign one MAX free agent.

Basically, it's the same situation as signing Amare as a FA in 2010, letting David Lee walk as a free agent. There are two advantages : we have the money to resign Nate and with his Bird rights we're almost 100% guaranteed to be in position to resign Amare. We'd only have to convince one more max FA.

One important thing to consider is that if we don't trade Jeffries (or Curry but he's untradeable right now) in the process then this trade is utterly stupid because we would have a payroll of around $48M in 2010 and not enough cap room to sign a max free agent, only a $10M-$12M player. Even if we don't resign Nate Robinson we may not have enough cap room to sign a max FA if we still have Amare, Curry and Jeffries on the roster in 2010.

That said I'm afraid the Suns will be looking to get first round picks for Amare. Remember they traded two first round picks and Kurt Thomas to the Sonics (Oklahoma Thunder) for cap relief and avoid to payx the tax. They desperately need first round picks.

Kos,

Isn't the whole problem that Amare can't play with Shaq?? So now we bring the problem here? I actually wouldn't mind offering Steph for Shaq. I think he can help us paying 25 - 30 mpg.

Say no to Amare and his no d playing prima donna ass.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#102 » by kosmovitelli » Fri Feb 6, 2009 1:57 pm

I do think they can play together. It's just that Porter isn't a good enough coach to play both effectively. He relies too much on Shaq, he's a bit "old school".

Shaq's contract expires in 2010 so he's also a soon expiring contract.

About the Suns, I just took a look and it appears their 2010 first round pick is UNPROTECTED (Kurt Thomas trade). They're just like us ! LOL

It's quite unbelievable. They had our own 2010 first round pick (Marbury trade) and their own. Both may be lottery picks next season. And the Suns won't even have a first round pick in 2010 because they traded them for cap relief in order to avoid to pay the tax.

First they traded Gugliotta and the Knicks 2004 and 2010 first round picks to Utah for cap relief (a trade exception) then they traded Kurt Thomas and their own 2008 and 2010 first round picks for cap relief (a trade exception from the Sonics/Thunder). Sam Presti (Oklahoma's GM) later traded Kurt Thomas to the Spurs for Francisco Elson, Brent Barry and the Spurs 2009 first round pick unprotected.
About Kurt Thomas, the Suns traded Q and a first round pick (Nate) for KT. That pick was previously their own lottery pick (#7) but they traded it to the Bulls for a future pick and as the Bulls made the playoffs the Suns inherited of the #22 pick in the draft.

The Suns didn't manage well their draft picks but it didn't matter when they were a championship team. Now that they're declining fast, that 2010 first round pick may cost them a lot.
In only 18 months Steve Kerr destroyed that team. He traded Kurt Thomas, Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and two first round picks and the return is only Shaq and J-Rich ! He ran d'Antoni out of town, hired the wrong coach (Porter) and now he wants to get rid of Amare !

I would be pissed if I was a Suns fan ! LOL
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#103 » by GuyverADL » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:00 pm

Sadly Portland can offer the best deal to Amare with you talent and an expiring.

LaFrentz 12,722,500
Aldridge 4,631,400
Outlaw 4,000,000
Bayless 1,993,560
Total: 22 million

Amare 15,070,550
Lopez 1,623,720
Total: 17 million

Works in the trade kicker and Phoenix gets some nice rookie deals.

Only person that is a RFA would be Outlaw. Obviously Phoenix could swap just for Batum if they want to be cheap.

Aldridge isnt dude for an extension until AFTER Shaq expires. This keep Phoenix away from the cap and gives them a nice young core on cheap deals.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by knicks742 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:07 pm

optimusADL wrote:Sadly Portland can offer the best deal to Amare with you talent and an expiring.

LaFrentz 12,722,500
Aldridge 4,631,400
Outlaw 4,000,000
Bayless 1,993,560

Amare 15,070,550
Lopez 1,623,720

Only person that is a RFA would be Outlaw. Obviously Phoenix could swap just for Batum if they want to be cheap.

Aldridge isnt dude for an extension until AFTER Shaq expires. This keep Phoenix away from the cap and gives them a nice young core on cheap deals.

I think the Suns' first choice as it always is when you are trading a superstar is to send him to the other conference. Having said that, it is stupid to turn down this deal, if Portland feels like that's what they would want to offer which I doubt very much. Anywho, I don't care where he goes as long as it's not here.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#105 » by GuyverADL » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:13 pm

knicks742 wrote:
optimusADL wrote:Sadly Portland can offer the best deal to Amare with you talent and an expiring.

LaFrentz 12,722,500
Aldridge 4,631,400
Outlaw 4,000,000
Bayless 1,993,560

Amare 15,070,550
Lopez 1,623,720

I think the Suns' first choice as it always is when you are trading a superstar is to send him to the other conference. Having said that, it is stupid to turn down this deal, if Portland feels like that's what they would want to offer which I doubt very much. Anywho, I don't care where he goes as long as it's not here.

Portland is giving up 2 current bench players and 1 starter that will be replaced by Amare.

Their starting lineup doesnt even change.

Oden
Amare
Batum
Roy
Blake

Amare is an upgrade over Aldridge. Aldrige will NEVER be as explosive as Amare. The 2 main scorers will be Roy and Amare.

I think that would make Portland a contender IF Oden can stay healthy.

They would STILL have a sick bench.

Ghost Face
Lopez/Frye
Webster(still injured)
Fernandez
Sergio

The point is Portland can put a great offer together without butchering their starting lineup. They could offer picks with less worry.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#106 » by kosmovitelli » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:18 pm

According to Marc Stein, Aldridge and Bayless aren't likely to be included in trade talks. Management seems pretty high on them. Same for Luol Deng and surprisingly Tyrus and Noah for the Bulls.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,210

Post#107 » by seren » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:19 pm

LaFrentz 12,722,500
Aldridge 4,631,400
Outlaw 4,000,000
Bayless 1,993,560

Amare 15,070,550
Lopez 1,623,720

I don't think that Phoenix likes to pay the luxury tax. No way they would get more salary then they send it. Even though LaFrentz's contract is mostly picked up by insurance, they still have to pay for tax. Take out Lopez and add Barbosa and you may have a deal.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,107

Post#108 » by sol537 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:29 pm

Forget Amare for a second... we should snag Shaq.

NY trades: Harrington, Malik, Jeffries (2yrs), and Nate
PHX trades: Shaq and Barbosa (3yrs)

Phoenix can make Amare feel like "the man" while surrounding Nash with more scorers in Harrington and Nate. They also save on Malik's expiring plus Jeffries year shorter deal and they get younger.

Knicks can make a push for the playoffs these next two seasons and Shaq can get guys like Gallo, Lee, and Chandler more open looks. Barbosa is a nice back-up for Duhon and he's easier to trade than Jeffries would be. This would allow us to sign 2 max all-stars in '10. Nate is the sacrificial lamb here.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#109 » by GuyverADL » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:44 pm

seren wrote:

LaFrentz 12,722,500
Aldridge 4,631,400
Outlaw 4,000,000
Bayless 1,993,560

Amare 15,070,550
Lopez 1,623,720

I don't think that Phoenix likes to pay the luxury tax. No way they would get more salary then they send it. Even though LaFrentz's contract is mostly picked up by insurance, they still have to pay for tax. Take out Lopez and add Barbosa and you may have a deal.

Portland has no need for Barbosa and I doubt they include Bayless and Outlaw if they have to eat Barbosa's contract.

Aldridge is not chopped liver. They save on the deal next yr when Bayless and Aldridge are still on their rookie deals totaling a WHOOPING 6 million dollars.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#110 » by GuyverADL » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:47 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:According to Marc Stein, Aldridge and Bayless aren't likely to be included in trade talks. Management seems pretty high on them. Same for Luol Deng and surprisingly Tyrus and Noah for the Bulls.

If they get Amare do you think they will have Aldridge off the bench? Makes no sense. Any deal Portland put out will be centered around Aldridge just like any deal from the Bulls will be centered around Deng.

Phoenix isnt going to give him away. We better pray he doesnt go to Miami. Amare and Wade on the same team. :o .
seren
RealGM

Post#111 » by seren » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:49 pm

optimusADL wrote:
seren wrote:

LaFrentz 12,722,500
Aldridge 4,631,400
Outlaw 4,000,000
Bayless 1,993,560

Amare 15,070,550
Lopez 1,623,720

Portland has no need for Barbosa and I doubt they include Bayless and Outlaw if they have to eat Barbosa's contract.

Aldridge is not chopped liver. They save on the deal next yr when Bayless and Aldridge are still on their rookie deals totaling a WHOOPING 6 million dollars.

Still don't see them doing that. When they have to pay an extra 5 mil on taxes this year. You don't realize that Phoenix is super cheap?
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by knicks742 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:49 pm

sol537 wrote:Forget Amare for a second... we should snag Shaq.

Phoenix can make Amare feel like "the man" while surrounding Nash with more scorers in Harrington and Nate. They also save on Malik's expiring plus Jeffries year shorter deal and they get younger.

Knicks can make a push for the playoffs these next two seasons and Shaq can get guys like Gallo, Lee, and Chandler more open looks. Barbosa is a nice back-up for Duhon and he's easier to trade than Jeffries would be. This would allow us to sign 2 max all-stars in '10. Nate is the sacrificial lamb here.

I agree, I would love to get Shaq here. Marbury and second rounder for Shaq.
seren
RealGM

Post#113 » by seren » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:53 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:According to Marc Stein, Aldridge and Bayless aren't likely to be included in trade talks. Management seems pretty high on them. Same for Luol Deng and surprisingly Tyrus and Noah for the Bulls.

I don't know about Portland, but for all we know Chicago management is stupid enough to continuously fall in love with their mediocre players. So I can see them rejecting stuff like this.

Portland, on the other hand, I don't believe.
Papa Midnite
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#114 » by Papa Midnite » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:55 pm

knicks742 wrote:

I agree, I would love to get Shaq here. Marbury and second rounder for Shaq.

Yeah but Shaq doesn’t want to play in NYK and I can’t see Kerr doing that to him. I recall Shaq saying that he wants to go to a warm weather city AND a team that he would NOT consider a bum basement team; that would be the Knicks’ in his mind and both going against what he wants at the tail-end of his career. I can see Shaq holding out and faking injuries the balance of this season and then retiring if he had to come to NYK to play with DLee and Duhon. :lol:
Nupes: Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Sam Jones, Elgin Baylor, Alex English, H20, Rolando Blackman, Danny Manning, Darrell Walker (ex-Knick), Penny, Bernie Bickerstaff, Bob Johnson (Bobcats), John Chaney, Kerry Kittles, Johnny Newman
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by knicks742 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:56 pm

seren wrote:

I don't know about Portland, but for all we know Chicago management is stupid enough to continuously fall in love with their mediocre players. So I can see them rejecting stuff like this.

Portland, on the other hand, I don't believe.

Actually what will really happen is by the time the Bulls make their decision, Amare will already be doing his press conference with his new team.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,488

Post#116 » by Synciere » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:16 pm

optimusADL wrote:

If they get Amare do you think they will have Aldridge off the bench? Makes no sense. Any deal Portland put out will be centered around Aldridge just like any deal from the Bulls will be centered around Deng.

Phoenix isnt going to give him away. We better pray he doesnt go to Miami. Amare and Wade on the same team. :o .

It makes more sense when you think of Oden's injury history. I like the Aldridge/Stoudemire frontline just as much as with Oden. I wouldn't trade Aldridge if I was Portland. Probably not Bayless either. Gotta give to get, but Phoenix is not in a position of power here, and their offers are likely to get worse in the offseason.

Bulls need to trade anyone to get Amare, and this is the only team that may be able to increase their offer in the offseason, as Deng goes of BYC.

Unless we're talking Steph's contract here, I don't see us getting anything done..
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,163

Post#117 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:17 pm

Doc, you have to figure D' knows Amare's situation best AND IF we trade for Amare it happens with D's blessing. We've seen his influence already here - he seemed to have the upper hand in Marbury's exile and I trust Walsh to know better than to make a major move for a guy D' can't stand.

I don't think Amare has reached Marbury proportions yet. Stars get disgruntled all the time but we haven't seen a pattern yet from Amare. He was fine prior to last season and frankly it seems a lot of the players over there have had it with management...
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,488

Post#118 » by Synciere » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:20 pm

Love it.

They may ask us to keep Nate and throw in second round picks instead. Something to lower the amount of money they have coming in. They need the space under the tax threshold. That's all they would care about.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,163

Post#119 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:22 pm

I would agree with Optimus that Portland is bluffing. Chicago, sadly, probably isn't.

Is Pho willing to trade in conference? If so, Porty definitely can put together the best package. So far, I think we have the best chance out east since Chicago is :crazy: and Marion back to Phoenix would be horrible PR. The package I mentioned earlier could legitimately get it done...
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by knicks742 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 3:30 pm

Capn'O wrote:Doc, you have to figure D' knows Amare's situation best AND IF we trade for Amare it happens with D's blessing. We've seen his influence already here - he seemed to have the upper hand in Marbury's exile and I trust Walsh to know better than to make a major move for a guy D' can't stand.

I don't think Amare has reached Marbury proportions yet. Stars get disgruntled all the time but we haven't seen a pattern yet from Amare. He was fine prior to last season and frankly it seems a lot of the players over there have had it with management...

Actually that's not true. The reason Marion was traded was because both him and Amare kept bitching that they weren't getting enough looks. Last season it came out that Nash had to play peacemakers between the 2 and Kerr saw that it was taking a toll on Nash so he traded Marion.

Return to New York Knicks