ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiretap:Wizards May Consider Dealing 2009 1st Round Pick

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,330

Re: Wiretap:Wizards May Consider Dealing 2009 1st Round Pick 

Post#41 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:36 pm

Is Nick Young really that good? I havent seen him much, but I always pictured him as just a back-up swingman at best. But really havent seen him much though like i said....

All I would want from the Wizards would be an '09 or '10 pick. Anything else would be gravy, but no deal breaker for me. They could keep there prospects for all I care as I wouldnt expect to get there pick and prospects anyway...Although i would def take McGee just to bring in a tall big man prospect...But getting that pick would def be best...
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
thefuriousfive
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#42 » by thefuriousfive » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:36 pm

I don't understand why they want to do this. Sh*t, their lottery pick will most definitely put them in Eastern Conference contention, especially with Gilbert Arenas and Haywood back. But, whatever. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
nyk2423
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#43 » by nyk2423 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:38 pm

To me Nick Young is instant scoring off the bench
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#44 » by GuyverADL » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:38 pm

thefuriousfive wrote:I don't understand why they want to do this. Sh*t, their lottery pick will most definitely put them in Eastern Conference contention, especially with Gilbert Arenas and Haywood back. But, whatever. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

:lol: They arent trading that pick unless they are getting back future picks.
Papa Midnite
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#45 » by Papa Midnite » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Brad Lohaus wrote:Is Nick Young really that good? I havent seen him much, but I always pictured him as just a back-up swingman at best. But really havent seen him much though like i said

He's good enough to "when" Gilbert Arenas goes down with an injury again next year, this guy will be able to give them good minutes at SG for a while. He would be a 3rd year vet and he has a good attitude. If it is the choice between Nick Young and Javelle McGhee I think they let JM go without long consideration.
Nupes: Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Sam Jones, Elgin Baylor, Alex English, H20, Rolando Blackman, Danny Manning, Darrell Walker (ex-Knick), Penny, Bernie Bickerstaff, Bob Johnson (Bobcats), John Chaney, Kerry Kittles, Johnny Newman
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#46 » by TheBluest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:48 pm

optimusADL wrote:
TheBluest wrote:We might want to suggest trades that don't put them over the Tax this yr either.

Just a thought when considering they are trying to avoid Tax.

Jefferies, Rose, Roberson, Second Rounder or Cash
for
James, Thomas, and McGee

I can see them giving up their first as stated except you have to give them back a high caliber player. Here's what they did in 04'

Washington Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld announced today that the Wizards have acquired forward Antawn Jamison and cash considerations from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for forwards Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner and the draft rights to Devin Harris(pick 5)

So the Lux Tax question is.... who is our Jamison?

I'm thinking something along the lines of David Lee, Malik, Thomas, 2nd rounder 4 Thomas, Blatche, James, and their first unprotected.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#47 » by GuyverADL » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:50 pm

TheBluest wrote:
optimusADL wrote:
TheBluest wrote:We might want to suggest trades that don't put them over the Tax this yr either.

Just a thought when considering they are trying to avoid Tax.

for
James, Thomas, and McGee

I can see them giving up their first as stated except you have to give them back a high caliber player. Here's what they did in 04'

Washington Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld announced today that the Wizards have acquired forward Antawn Jamison and cash considerations from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for forwards Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner and the draft rights to Devin Harris(pick 5)

I'm thinking something along the lines of David Lee, Malik, Thomas, 2nd rounder 4 Thomas, Blatche, James, and their first unprotected.

They are trying to avoid the luxury tax. They want expiring and young talent on a rookie deal. I doubt Walsh is interested in trading Chandler.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,967

Post#48 » by cgf » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:21 pm

They're going to end up sending jamison and a contract like thomas to a contender for an expiring and cash considerations, but if we could use our expirings to dump jeffries and/or get young players/picks from them for short term cap relief that'd be great.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#49 » by TheBluest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 pm

optimusADL wrote:
TheBluest wrote:
optimusADL wrote:
for
James, Thomas, and McGee

They are trying to avoid the luxury tax. They want expiring and young talent on a rookie deal. I doubt Walsh is interested in trading Chandler.

They would be under leave it up to them to clear more room. Not as much as I stated in the post I deleted but they'd be under. They only need to move one more contract and they can accomplish that by looking at teams under the cap looking for cheap buys(expirings) next yr. I want that Top 5 pick pretty much at all costs. They could move Haywood to a team under the cap for a cheap backup big and get a TE in the process to use next yr.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#50 » by TheBluest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:27 pm

cgf wrote:They're going to end up sending jamison and a contract like thomas to a contender for an expiring and cash considerations, but if we could use our expirings to dump jeffries and/or get young players/picks from them for short term cap relief that'd be great.

Right now they are talking to Cleveland.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#51 » by mjhp911 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:40 pm

livintoolive wrote:From my post in the trade deadline thread:

Washington is trying to move it's 09 pick for roughly 9mn in cap relief next season to get under the cap?

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... ound_pick/

They're already 5mn over for next year, and their first rounder would probably make another 4mn. If they can cut that 9mn, they save 18mn next year with luxury tax savings. Malik Rose isn't enough by himself, but Marbury for Etan Thomas, Haywood, Mike James and 09 1st is enough. They would save 21.8mn in salary and 9mn in luxury tax.

Just the thought of Haywood coming over to possibly punch Curry in the nuts during practice is enough to float my boat. Get in on this, Donnie!
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#52 » by yungal07 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:46 pm

Sure guys....because the Wizards sole purpose is to make the Knicks better.
thefuriousfive
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#53 » by thefuriousfive » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:48 pm

yungal07 wrote:Sure guys....because the Wizards sole purpose is to make the Knicks better.

LOL. We get carried away, but we really could use a big from this year's draft (between Monroe and Thabeet).
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,438

Post#54 » by duetta » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:51 pm

A lot may happen between now and Thursday. If there's two things the Knicks have, it's short-term cap room and money to burn. We'll see how it gets used. If Walsh can find a way to turn Marbury into something valuable...he'll deserve everybody's trust.
vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 71

Post#55 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:42 pm

If we trade them Marbury and Roberson for Etan Thomas, Brendan Haywood and Mike James, they stand to save $19,816,600 from next year's cap.

Now, sure, it's just money, but for an organisation looking to SAVE money, it's a hell of a lot of money, and would put them significantly under the cap THIS off-season - By about $9 million.

The question is - Is a saving that massive good enough to get their Top 5 pick from them?

If not, what could we sweeten the deal with? We're in a strong position in this situation, because we can offer them that kind of savings while still holding on to our position for 2010, because although we're trying to get under the cap, by no means are we trying to save money, so if we can distill a high first round pick out of moving around contracts that STILL won't jeopardise our own plans, then we will have done something special.

That pick could get us someone like Hasheem Thabeet, Greg Monroe, or my personal favourite big man prospect, Jordan Hill. I think we should be pushing for this if it's on the table.
vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:50 pm

^^^ Also, it'd say them an additional 4-5 million off the luxury tax as well, plus they'd get their pay-out of the share of the luxury tax that they'd be owed as one of the teams not paying the tax.

Surely if that was on the table, they'd have to consider it. It'd be at least $24 million that they'd be saving... A payment of $24 million for a draft pick? You'd have to consider it.
GuyverADL
Banned User

Post#57 » by GuyverADL » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:52 pm

vinnie_vegas69 wrote:^^^ Also, it'd say them an additional 4-5 million off the luxury tax as well, plus they'd get their pay-out of the share of the luxury tax that they'd be owed as one of the teams not paying the tax.

Surely if that was on the table, they'd have to consider it. It'd be at least $24 million that they'd be saving... A payment of $24 million for a draft pick? You'd have to consider it.

Dolan appears to have closed the wallet on this team.
TDcraz5
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#58 » by TDcraz5 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 pm

As much as I would like to trade picks with the wiz, I doubt their gonna trade it away. Seems like it's just deadline speculation.
vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:04 pm

optimusADL wrote:Dolan appears to have closed the wallet on this team.

Yeah, that might be true.

Fair enough, I suppose, given that $24 million is more than pretty much any of us will earn in our entire lifetime, but it's just frustrating when the franchise has been spending way more than this on all the wrong things, and then when an opportunity to use money the right way comes along, we waste it.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#60 » by kosmovitelli » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:32 am

vinnie_vegas69 wrote:If we trade them Marbury and Roberson for Etan Thomas, Brendan Haywood and Mike James, they stand to save $19,816,600 from next year's cap.

Now, sure, it's just money, but for an organisation looking to SAVE money, it's a hell of a lot of money, and would put them significantly under the cap THIS off-season - By about $9 million.

Ernie Grunfeld wouldn't do that but it's the kind of money-driven trade owners like to push their GM to pull the trigger on. That trade is possible only if Abe Pollin's #1 goal is to save money.

Return to New York Knicks