ImageImageImageImageImage

We finally win a Bulls trade!!

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Re: We finally win a Bulls trade!! 

Post#21 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:27 am

god shammgod wrote:
NetsForce wrote:How can you get Larry Hughes and win a trade? Oh that's right you can't. I guarantee you that within 5 games you're all going to be hating on Larry (and rightfully so the dude sucks).

:lol: the love for him won't even last as long as it did for al harrington

Sam Smith - the guy with the stupid made-up trades - recently wrote that in all his many years of writing about sports, he has never encountered a more unprofessional athlete than Larry Hughes.

Sam did not explain his reasoning......
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#22 » by Smoke24 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:28 am

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:
knicks742 wrote:Im loving the 2 roster spots. why did the bulls take roberson too?

Because we were trading Thabo for a first rounder - and needed to have 13 players

That's why we needed 3 from the Knicks

Im not complaining. Good luck to those players. :)
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#23 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:38 am

Coach Vinny says that he has played with Tim thomas & knows he can work with him.

I am convinced Vinny talked Paxson into the deal.

Tim's prior Bull problems apparently were all with Skiles.
- -- Chinese proverb
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#24 » by knicks742 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:48 am

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:Coach Vinny says that he has played with Tim thomas & knows he can work with him.

I am convinced Vinny talked Paxson into the deal.

Tim's prior Bull problems apparently were all with Skiles.

I think the Tim thomas and Hughes talent swap is a wash. the reason why I am loving the trade is that we got rid of Snacks, you guys didn't get the salary cap relief from Malik's deal and you took Roberson therefore giving us 2 open roster spots. This is the first time in god knows how long that we dont have 15 guaranteed contracts.
nykfan70
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#25 » by nykfan70 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:50 am

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
NetsForce wrote:How can you get Larry Hughes and win a trade? Oh that's right you can't. I guarantee you that within 5 games you're all going to be hating on Larry (and rightfully so the dude sucks).

:lol: the love for him won't even last as long as it did for al harrington

Sam Smith - the guy with the stupid made-up trades - recently wrote that in all his many years of writing about sports, he has never encountered a more unprofessional athlete than Larry Hughes.

Sam did not explain his reasoning......

Well Son of Sam is no prize either, so whatever he says is not be believed, he is the most unprofessional writer in sports, the fact you back him up says alot about what you do know and that is NOTHING!. LOL
SoCalKnickFan
Rookie
And1: 325

Post#26 » by SoCalKnickFan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:50 am

Hughes could never play a minute for the Knicks and I'd like the trade. No bashing of Hughes can change that. We traded Snacks and opened roster spots, I think I might go buy a lottery ticket!
SoCalKnickFan
AyAsiB KNICKS
Starter

Post#27 » by AyAsiB KNICKS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:21 am

cgf wrote:

number of guards before the trade: 2
number of guards after the trade: 3

number of rotation players traded: 1
number of rotation players added: 1

number of players traded: 3
number of players received: 1

So we consolidated 1 rotation player and two complete bums into 1 rotation player who plays a position where we have no depth. All without affecting our 2010 cap situation. Larry Hughes takes some craw level bad shots, but he's a much better guard than q-brick or roberson.

INDEED! :wink:
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#28 » by R-DAWG » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:26 am

I think we won the Crawford trade. He was traded for unwanted parts and brought back a solid player. We then lost when Isiah gave him that horrible contract, but talent wise, we won that deal.
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#29 » by truth serum » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:32 am

SoCalKnickFan wrote:Hughes could never play a minute for the Knicks and I'd like the trade. No bashing of Hughes can change that. We traded Snacks and opened roster spots, I think I might go buy a lottery ticket!

Haha! Exactamundo.
vinnie_vegas69
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 71

Post#30 » by vinnie_vegas69 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:21 am

R-DAWG wrote:I think we won the Crawford trade. He was traded for unwanted parts and brought back a solid player. We then lost when Isiah gave him that horrible contract, but talent wise, we won that deal.

I was coming in to say the same thing - We gave up nothing and got a guy who, like it or not, was our best scorer pretty much his entire tenure here.

His contract was maybe a little big, but he's earned it a lot more than some other players.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#31 » by method » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:36 am

GTFO
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#32 » by mjhp911 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:48 am

I seriously still think this was Paxson's last FU to Reinsdorf.
LBnySuaveJav23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,217

Post#33 » by LBnySuaveJav23 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:51 am

JJ 1 contributed NOTHING in the 4 years he was here. Roberson contributed NOTHING EVER in his journey in the nba. Tim Thomas was ok on offense some nights with the 3 ball BUT was a hack on defense...literally.

Larry Hughes USED to be good, whatever. IF he can stay healthy, maybe just maybe he can produce enough to be flipped for something decent next year. That is more likely than JJ1,Roberson or TT having breakout years.

Knicks just consolidated their debt... at the expense of an extra mill.

I'd take my chances on Hughes turning it around because in Philly and Washington he showed the ability to do so, rather than the aforementioned doo doo bucket of players.
"Yeah, you are. You right, bro" - Joe Dumars telling every PG on the roster they are starting.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#34 » by sonny » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:21 am

mjhp911 wrote:I seriously still think this was Paxson's last FU to Reinsdorf.

Why do you say that?
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#35 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:49 am

knicks742 wrote:[
I think the Tim thomas and Hughes talent swap is a wash. the reason why I am loving the trade is that we got rid of Snacks, you guys didn't get the salary cap relief from Malik's deal and you took Roberson therefore giving us 2 open roster spots. This is the first time in god knows how long that we dont have 15 guaranteed contracts.

But Big Snacks is exactly the kind of contract that the Bulls wanted.

He can be traded next season as an expiring. look at all the calls that Portland got for Raef. Even if guys cant walk, they are valuable in last year of contract.

Plus, with Tim Thomas & Brad Miller, the Bulls now have 3 expiring deals next season worth about $26 million. That's among the top in NBA & they can easily be a player in any trade that they choose.

Bulls needed to get a 13th player so they took Roberson.

I think it's a win-win trade for both teams. Knicks got what they wanted & Bulls got what they wanted.
- -- Chinese proverb
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#36 » by knicks742 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:
knicks742 wrote:[

But Big Snacks is exactly the kind of contract that the Bulls wanted.

He can be traded next season as an expiring. look at all the calls that Portland got for Raef. Even if guys cant walk, they are valuable in last year of contract.

Plus, with Tim Thomas & Brad Miller, the Bulls now have 3 expiring deals next season worth about $26 million. That's among the top in NBA & they can easily be a player in any trade that they choose.

Bulls needed to get a 13th player so they took Roberson.

I think it's a win-win trade for both teams. Knicks got what they wanted & Bulls got what they wanted.

Every time you guys came to our forum to talk trade for Hughes it was Malik and James or bust. You guys refused to think that you would take anything except Malik + 2010 expiring. The report was that you guys turned down said Malik + James deal. You guys ended up with James, T Thomas and Roberson.

I do think the main reason for the James trade was financial as you guys are probably looking to collect from insurance. The thing for us is we already have Mobley's contract that does that and it's bigger so we could afford to give this one up. Donnie has said he probably won't waive Mobley's contract because it can still be traded for that reason.

As far as the $26 million in expirings, you guys already had that with Hughes, that was not a result of this trade, this trade did nothing to improve your 2010 position, just like it did nothing to hurt the Knicks' 2010 position, we still have about $40 million in expirings this summer.
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#37 » by bullzman23 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:56 pm

There's really no loser in this trade. I'm not sure why anyone would say that. Both teams got exactly what they wanted.

All contracts are 2010 friendly.

Knicks got a rotation player, Bulls thinned the guard glut.

Jerome James not playing is what we want, plus if his contract becomes medically insured next season that will be a plus.

Remember, we sent Hughes home because we preferred all the other guards. This was a favor to him, as much as it was a lateral move.

That being said, Hughes has a chance to be a solid addition for you. Still don't see how anyone could have gotten beat in this deal.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
Knicksick
Banned User

Post#38 » by Knicksick » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:09 pm

bullzman23 wrote:There's really no loser in this trade. I'm not sure why anyone would say that. Both teams got exactly what they wanted.

All contracts are 2010 friendly.

Knicks got a rotation player, Bulls thinned the guard glut.

Jerome James not playing is what we want, plus if his contract becomes medically insured next season that will be a plus.

Remember, we sent Hughes home because we preferred all the other guards. This was a favor to him, as much as it was a lateral move.

That being said, Hughes has a chance to be a solid addition for you. Still don't see how anyone could have gotten beat in this deal.

100% agreed. I don't even know how anyone can get worked up over such a trade. It was a decent move for both teams.

I think the Wilcox deal is the one where Walsh did great. Not because of Chris Wilcox the player but rather because he added a solid player for nothing WITHOUT adding any salary. Pretty amazing.

But overall I still don't think we are really going to make the playoffs. Anyways good work by Donnie.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,957

Post#39 » by god shammgod » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:12 pm

bullzman23 wrote:There's really no loser in this trade.

looking at who both teams got we're all losers.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,276

Post#40 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 pm

god shammgod wrote:
bullzman23 wrote:There's really no loser in this trade.

looking at who both teams got we're all losers.

hahaha......that is true
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks